SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Honestly its so weird that soccer matches end in kickoffs instead of over-time like every other sport. Like if its just about celebrating individual players ability to score goals, skip the entire match and go to the kickoffs. Or if its about team coordination and skills, do overtime play. Its so jarring going from the actual match to kickoffs to decide the winner. Itd be like if a tied basketball game was settled with rock/paper/scissors.
They do go into overtime: 15 minutes on each side, plus additional time at the end of each half. Argentina and France played a little over 40 minutes AFTER the clock ran out before heading into kickoffs.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
They do go into overtime: 15 minutes on each side, plus additional time at the end of each half. Argentina and France played a little over 40 minutes AFTER the clock ran out before heading into kickoffs.
Was it just 40? Good lord it felt like a lot more than that. Every single half ended with extra time. You could tell the refs realllly didn't want it to go to penalties.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Was it just 40? Good lord it felt like a lot more than that. Every single half ended with extra time. You could tell the refs realllly didn't want it to go to penalties.
From memory:

1st 45 minutes
Additional 8 minutes
2nd 45 minutes
Additional 7 minutes
1st overtime: 15 minutes
Additional ? minutes
2nd overtime: 15 minutes
Additional 3 minutes
Shootouts

So the game went on for something like net 140 minutes, plus breaks in the middle and the shootouts at the end.

For a while overtime would end with a Golden Goal until FIFA decided sudden death just made the teams play super defensively, defeating the purpose of overtime.

The ref definitely didn't want those penalties. And he almost gets away with it when France nearly scores 13 seconds AFTER the added minutes to the 2nd overtime run out. Thankfully we had this maniac as goalkeeper:

681121-whatsapp-20image-202022-12-18-20at-2015-55-26.jpeg

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Hey man, as long as you're not farting out n-words with every breath or just being a straight up fucking Nazi, we'll get along just fine.
There's a difference between a "sports fanatic" and an "asshole;" you can be the former without being the latter. Though when those types do unfortunately find themselves together in one or several persons, you do find a uniquely despicable person.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

News flash: sports don't create crazy fans, and crazy fans aren't unique to sports. There are simply crazy people who find their way into the fandom of sports. Anyone you see "losing their shit" over "just a game" is someone who's likely capable of losing their shit in a Walmart, Starbucks, or at a traffic light. I really wish people who don't understand sports and its fans would quit asking why people love sports and/or equating the worst of us to ALL of us. It's not an interesting conversation, is normally taking place in an echo chamber, and no answer will ever satisfy them. Sports are fun. They are exciting. They incite excitement. Get it or don't. Just leave us to our sports, and we’ll leave you to your 30 cats or action figure collecting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

News flash: sports don't create crazy fans, and crazy fans aren't unique to sports. There are simply crazy people who find their way into the fandom of sports. Anyone you see "losing their shit" over "just a game" is someone who's likely capable of losing their shit in a Walmart, Starbucks, or at a traffic light. I really wish people who don't understand sports and its fans would quit asking why people love sports and/or equating the worst of us to ALL of us. It's not an interesting conversation, is normally taking place in an echo chamber, and no answer will ever satisfy them. Sports are fun. They are exciting. They incite excitement. Get it or don't. Just leave us to our sports, and we’ll leave you to your 30 cats or action figure collecting.
Don't take it too personally. This is just Korey getting something off his chest. Not the first time he's done one of these type of videos, but he doesn't do them that often. Unless it's a serious social or racial issue going on. They even agree with you. They're not talking about regular sports fans, but the extreme and obsessed sports fans. The ones that make the sensible, casual, or regular fans all look bad. They know all about different types of fandom and the extreme and bad sides of fandom. All of you actually have your points. I know it's a conversation you, and I to an extent, depending on what it is.Such as video games, movies & tv, or sports cause people to be violent jackasses. When we all know that's not the truth and is usually just a distraction or echo chamber for somebody soapbox.

DT are cool guys and they're not like that at all. They've had stuff I disagree with them on and I did have some problems when they talked about certain subjects in the past (it was usually with old crew members that are no longer around and most of the DT fans didn't like them anyway). I won't get into that park, because it's going to get off topic. I understand your frustration, but don't let this video get to you. That's not what they're trying to do either.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Don't take it too personally. This is just Korey getting something off his chest. Not the first time he's done one of these type of videos, but he doesn't do them that often. Unless it's a serious social or racial issue going on. They even agree with you. They're not talking about regular sports fans, but the extreme and obsessed sports fans. The ones that make the sensible, casual, or regular fans all look bad. They know all about different types of fandom and the extreme and bad sides of fandom. All of you actually have your points. I know it's a conversation you, and I to an extent, depending on what it is.Such as video games, movies & tv, or sports cause people to be violent jackasses. When we all know that's not the truth and is usually just a distraction or echo chamber for somebody soapbox.

DT are cool guys and they're not like that at all. They've had stuff I disagree with them on and I did have some problems when they talked about certain subjects in the past (it was usually with old crew members that are no longer around and most of the DT fans didn't like them anyway). I won't get into that park, because it's going to get off topic. I understand your frustration, but don't let this video get to you. That's not what they're trying to do either.
Oh, the video doesn't get to me at all; I'm not taking it personally. I'm just really tired of people on the outside looking in wondering why people are passionate about sports or only see the craziest fans when questioning what fandom must be. Why must the "extreme and obsessed sports fans" call into question the passion of we normal and sensible fans? Thousands of people attend sports events every day without incident; it's the vast minority that makes it into cell phone footage with their over-the-top and inappropriate antics.

The question should have "sports" removed entirely, and the new question should be "why are there people with obsessive tendencies that step into the realm of unhealthy fanaticism?" Much more interesting and potentially informative question. There's Islam, then there are Islamic terrorists who commit horrendous acts of violence and destruction out of delusional dedication to their interpretation of Islam. There are white people, then there are white supremacists who think their whiteness entitles them to commit horrendous acts of violence and destruction out of delusional dedication to their race. If the conversation is "why do sports fans go crazy?", then the ensuing conversation is pointless. DT asked the wrong question, or more accurately, they asked the question incorrectly if honest discourse was their intent.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DT asked the wrong question, or more accurately, they asked the question incorrectly if honest discourse was their intent.
It's has pained me for years to say it, but DT fell into the whole clickbait trap as well. Right around 2016 or 2017. They're not the worst with it, but DT, if you all got something on your mind, just say it (like most of you usually do). Sometimes they are usually more direct with the clickbait, but this is one of those cases where "Come on guys, just be straight with your title.".

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's has pained me for years to say it, but DT fell into the whole clickbait trap as well. Right around 2016 or 2017. They're not the worst with it, but DT, if you all got something on your mind, just say it (like most of you usually do). Sometimes they are usually more direct with the clickbait, but this is one of those cases where "Come on guys, just be straight with your title.".
No one is worse at clickbait than a Formula 1 channel I half-assedly follow. Every single one of their videos is something to the extent of "[Driver] drops a bombshell on [their team]!!!" then you watch the video, and it's just a driver who decided not to drink his usual cup of coffee before a race which had no effect on anyone or anything. They get shredded in the comments in each of their videos for their brand of nonsense, but people continue to click on the videos if only to call it clickbait, so it must be working for them since all views are equal according to the YT algorithms.

But OT, my sentiments aren't directed "at" Double Toasted specifically; I don't watch them or lean on them for any informational/entertainment purposes; I was just commenting on a subject that has come up millions of times in millions of places that characterize "sports fans" as a unique group of insane fanatics when the fact is we're mostly just fans of a thing like anyone else of any other thing with a sprinkling of looney toons throughout unfortunately. Just saying, they wasted an episode of their time on a very meaningless and misleading topic.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I wouldn't go that far, but I see the sentiment.
I admittedly didn't watch the whole video, so maybe they righted the ship later into it, but the actual topic is about fanatic people, and prescribing it to "sports fans" only in their thumbnail is what I found misleading since the issue with the people they're asking about spans a broad range of subjects. Anyway, no harm done by DT.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Jesus, hopefully Damar Hamlin is OK. I turned the game on just now when I saw it was DELAYED on the gamecast (I was watching a movie but keeping an eye on the game). About a half hour ago, he took a hit to the chest, got up, and collapsed. They did CPR on the field and they've taken him to the hospital. No one has any idea what's going on or if the man is even alive. The game is still delayed as of now and it wouldn't shock me if it got postponed at this point. I can't imagine they'd make the players go back out on the field at this point until they know if the kid is even going to survive...

EDIT: Players are leaving the locker room now and the equipment people are putting things away. Nothing "official" but seems obvious that they're stopping the game for tonight

EDIT 2: and now it's official; the game is postponed and will not be restarted tonight

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Jesus, hopefully Damar Hamlin is OK. I turned the game on just now when I saw it was DELAYED on the gamecast (I was watching a movie but keeping an eye on the game). About a half hour ago, he took a hit to the chest, got up, and collapsed. They did CPR on the field and they've taken him to the hospital. No one has any idea what's going on or if the man is even alive. The game is still delayed as of now and it wouldn't shock me if it got postponed at this point. I can't imagine they'd make the players go back out on the field at this point until they know if the kid is even going to survive...

EDIT: Players are leaving the locker room now and the equipment people are putting things away. Nothing "official" but seems obvious that they're stopping the game for tonight

EDIT 2: and now it's official; the game is postponed and will not be restarted tonight
Cardiac arrest is what they're saying, and yes, it was fucking scary. He's still in critical condition as of this morning, but thank Christ he's alive. I love hard-hitting football, but I'll be damned if I wasn't terrified we might witness a young man DIE on the field last night. I actually felt ashamed to be spectating. Booger McFarland, a commentator I typically don't like, actually felt the same as I did; you could tell he was holding back tears and really didn't want to talk at all. Everyone else was all about what the NFL, NFLPA, both teams' coaches might be saying, and Booger kept bringing it back to "is that kid okay???" I sincerely hope Hamlin makes a full recovery, and if he never sets foot on the field again, I completely understand.

Reactions: tippy2k2