SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
(And don't jinx my Niners with such a dismissive statement as we're going to "murderize" the Seahawks. We got banged up in that first game, and Lance isn't the 2nd Coming he was supposed to have been. Plus, the Seahawks have been our kryptonite, and Gino Smith isn't looking too shabby, so my palms, as they always have been for the past decade, will be thoroughly sweaty on Seahawks Day.)
That's all true, but specifically the Trey Lance point... that will be resolved one way or another by the time week 15 rolls around. If things are still uncertain by then, you have a very bad coaching/head office problem.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That's all true, but specifically the Trey Lance point... that will be resolved one way or another by the time week 15 rolls around. If things are still uncertain by then, you have a very bad coaching/head office problem.
Aaaand it's a nonissue. Trey Lance is out for the season with a broken ankle; Jimmy G to the rescue. But we still managed to trounce the Seahawks! My hope now is that they didn't scheme too heavily for Lance's strengths and aren't simply in damage control now...

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Aaaand it's a nonissue. Trey Lance is out for the season with a broken ankle; Jimmy G to the rescue. But we still managed to trounce the Seahawks! My hope now is that they didn't scheme too heavily for Lance's strengths and aren't simply in damage control now...
Yeah, I should have looked at the results before commenting. Truth be known it still hadn't registered to me that the 9ers were playing the Seahawks this week. I'd only looked at the schedule as far as my show's hosts made their picks for the week, and they stayed away from that game (not that it helped them, even with 2 wins tonight no one did better than 5-5 this week.) But seriously, the Jimmy G contract decision looks freaking prescient at the moment. I posted and then was doing some production for play by play cuts... and saw the injury pop up. But I did say one way or another by week 15... well, we can probably file that under "another."

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Are we "above" talking about the butt punt. If so, well ignore this.

Dolphins survive the butt punt to defeat Buffalo
video
Link used because NFL blocks the embed
Whoever is on the stick at NFL's official Twitter did a fairly good job with the video. Tweeting with the clip "Punt exits the rear of the end zone."

But in all seriousness, Dolphins over Bills. Jacksonville crushes the chargers... what is going on this season?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Are we "above" talking about the butt punt. If so, well ignore this.

Dolphins survive the butt punt to defeat Buffalo
video
Link used because NFL blocks the embed
Whoever is on the stick at NFL's official Twitter did a fairly good job with the video. Tweeting with the clip "Punt exits the rear of the end zone."

But in all seriousness, Dolphins over Bills. Jacksonville crushes the chargers... what is going on this season?
That punt was hilarious. I'm sure the ball didn't feel great, but can you imagine if his foot had connected with that dude's ass? An NFL kicker kicking you in the ass at full force has got to be up there with some of the more uncomfortable experiences one might have.

But yeah, this past weekend of the NFL was really crazy. Watching my Niners lose in a fashion only they could in that slow-boil bore of a game against the Broncos (more importantly Russell Wilson) was the hands-up moment for me. I wasn't even mad. Jimmy G dancing in his own end zone only to step out of bounds for a safety and then throw what effectively would have been a pick-6 had it not been for said safety was such a "him" moment. It's official: if we can't manage to get at least a 20 point lead and hold it into the 4th quarter, we're going to lose. We'll FIND a way to lose.

On the plus side, looks like they're doing something different from the typical Pro Bowl this year, Pro Bowl Week or something. Sounds like fun, certainly more fun than a game where no one is trying and none of the leagues best are even participating.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
On the plus side, looks like they're doing something different from the typical Pro Bowl this year, Pro Bowl Week or something. Sounds like fun, certainly more fun than a game where no one is trying and none of the leagues best are even participating.
I like the idea of the Pro Bowl Games. Frankly the pro bowl itself is unwatchable for the most part. This is a good idea, but I do doubt it will increase attention for the event. On its own anyway. They need to add... more entertainment value than just pros doing skills competitions and a flag football game.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I like the idea of the Pro Bowl Games. Frankly the pro bowl itself is unwatchable for the most part. This is a good idea, but I do doubt it will increase attention for the event. On its own anyway. They need to add... more entertainment value than just pros doing skills competitions and a flag football game.
I'm just glad they're trying something different. The OG Pro Bowl has been, like you said, unwatchable. I think it was meant to serve as an appetizer for the Super Bowl, but in the wake of the full-course meal we've had previously in the regular season, it has felt like an after-dinner mint, i.e.: sure, I'll take it, but I probably won't eat it, and if I do, it'll be during the casual stroll to my car just because I don't want to forget it's in my pocket when I wash my slacks.

The new format may not garner the viewership of a regular season game or the Super Bowl, but I think such a big change to a long-time point of complaint is going to turn enough heads to make it worth the league's while. And if it actually works out, it'll be interesting to see what people think and what the league will do in future years to improve.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Oof

Yesterday is one of those situations where it can be hard to justify being a NFL fan. Sure, these guys get paid a LOT of money (A LOT A LOT of money) to take these kinds of risks but watching Tua get a """"back injury"""" on Sunday only to go back out there on Prime Time Television and get put in what looked like the worst Fencers Pose I've ever personally seen (watching UFC and other sports I've seen people go down in the fencers pose but at least personally, I've NEVER seen someone's fingers do what Tua's did while he laid on the ground). The Bengal player who sacked him didn't even go to celebrate or anything, the dude knew immediately that something very bad just happened to Tua and was calling for medical help as he was getting up off the ground...

The kind of worst part is it was a relatively clean tackle so it's not like the Bengals did something extra egregious or something to cause it. A whip tackle like that happens all the damn time in the game and Tua through bad luck of getting tossed that way right onto his head along with what seems like an INCREDIBLE amount of mismanagement by The Dolphins organization in letting him go out there after Sunday looked like his damn career might be over (and at the time, it sure as hell wasn't impossible that his life just got a huge alteration, though with concussions and how it looked, that could still come into play for him).

Just...makes you feel kind of gross as a football fan to see this kind of ish.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Oof

Yesterday is one of those situations where it can be hard to justify being a NFL fan. Sure, these guys get paid a LOT of money (A LOT A LOT of money) to take these kinds of risks but watching Tua get a """"back injury"""" on Sunday only to go back out there on Prime Time Television and get put in what looked like the worst Fencers Pose I've ever personally seen (watching UFC and other sports I've seen people go down in the fencers pose but at least personally, I've NEVER seen someone's fingers do what Tua's did while he laid on the ground). The Bengal player who sacked him didn't even go to celebrate or anything, the dude knew immediately that something very bad just happened to Tua and was calling for medical help as he was getting up off the ground...

The kind of worst part is it was a relatively clean tackle so it's not like the Bengals did something extra egregious or something to cause it. A whip tackle like that happens all the damn time in the game and Tua through bad luck of getting tossed that way right onto his head along with what seems like an INCREDIBLE amount of mismanagement by The Dolphins organization in letting him go out there after Sunday looked like his damn career might be over (and at the time, it sure as hell wasn't impossible that his life just got a huge alteration, though with concussions and how it looked, that could still come into play for him).

Just...makes you feel kind of gross as a football fan to see this kind of ish.
That stumble, getting up from the hit the Sunday before... I was at the very least surprised they were saying it was a back injury. It certainly didn't look like a back issue. It looked like he hopped up and then nearly passed out on the way back to the sideline. He should never have been back out on the field, even if they had a whole week... much less on a short week, they really shouldn't have played him the next week.

We don't talk a lot of college football here, but seriously....

Kansas is 5-0 and nationally ranked, and Oklahoma loses by nearly 30 at TCU? So, who will be the new head coach in Norman next year?

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Kansas is 5-0 and nationally ranked, and Oklahoma loses by nearly 30 at TCU? So, who will be the new head coach in Norman next year?
My gf is from Oklahoma, and OU (which I still don't understand how the "University of Oklahoma" got "OU" as their abbreviation) is her team. She's pretty dejected right now. OU lost, our F1 driver got muscled out of the points finishing P11, her Saints lost (let's talk about that,) and her Seahawks weren't televised. She bitched literally from sunup to sundown. But OU will be okay; they're still an institution that pulls in talent, and it's Venables' first season; they've no reason to panic just yet. If they beat Texas this weekend, this rough start will be a thing of the past.

But that Saints vs Vikings game in England, WOW! I absolutely loved that game. It was one of very few games where the atmosphere came through the TV. That London crowd, filled with jerseys from every team, made that game feel like a Super Bowl; I would love to have been there. They should schedule more games over there; take any game one would expect to have low viewership, and give it to a fanbase that will eat it up in London, i.e.: Jaguars vs Jets would sell out the stadium in London, and every play would feel like a game-winning affair. And the way it ended, Jesus, it felt scripted. That was the double doink LITERALLY heard around the world. I imagine the Saints' kicker is still sitting on the bench with his head in his hands. Had he kicked it any harder, they'd have gone into overtime. I always say kicker is the last position I would want to play on an NFL team. For as little action as they see, too often it comes down to them to decide a contest, and that's the kind of pressure that could break any man. Anyway, congrats, @tippy2k2.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If you're in the need for rain, just schedule a Formula 1 race in your area. First Singapore last week, and most recently the Japan GP suffered rain delays. Pirelli's intermediate and full wet tyres saw more laps than slicks in both. Verstappen finally managed to win securing his 2022 World Driver's Championship, so everyone can stop talking about him, FFS.

In the NFL, my Niners routed the Panthers, so of course it wasn't televised and I had to settle for following the score on my phone. Carolina's head coach Matt Rhule was subsequently fired. Seemed a bit harsh given he's only in his third year, but then I'm reminded that he hasn't managed anything near a winning season in that time, so, meh.

EDIT: Oof, Oklahoma got completely annihilated by Texas, 49-0. Jesus, it looked like they weren't even playing the same game. Venables needs to dust off his resume.

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
If you're in the need for rain, just schedule a Formula 1 race in your area. First Singapore last week, and most recently the Japan GP suffered rain delays. Pirelli's intermediate and full wet tyres saw more laps than slicks in both. Verstappen finally managed to win securing his 2022 World Driver's Championship, so everyone can stop talking about him, FFS.

In the NFL, my Niners routed the Panthers, so of course it wasn't televised and I had to settle for following the score on my phone. Carolina's head coach Matt Rhule was subsequently fired. Seemed a bit harsh given he's only in his third year, but then I'm reminded that he hasn't managed anything near a winning season in that time, so, meh.
The 'Niners looked pretty good, too bad it had to be against Carolina. It isn't hard to look good against the Panthers. Interestingly enough, I'm hearing more talk about Eric Bieniemy being considered for the Panthers job. But we've heard this before. His name has been the first or second speculated name for every coach opening in the league for the last 2 or 3 years. And yet, no takers... ever. I'm starting to wonder if Andy Reid is the problem. If teams just suppose he's calling all the shots, and Bieniemy doesn't have much to do with the Chiefs offense.

Of course, all I'm hearing this morning from Chiefs fan is whining about Chris Jones' roughing the passer penalty. Yeah, it was a bad call. But I've been pissing people off all morning saying watch the 4th Kelce TD... and tell me the trailing receiver didn't commit intentional offensive pass interference. That play was designed to be illegal, but the referees no-called it. Probably in an effort to get out of Arrowhead alive.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The 'Niners looked pretty good, too bad it had to be against Carolina. It isn't hard to look good against the Panthers. Interestingly enough, I'm hearing more talk about Eric Bieniemy being considered for the Panthers job. But we've heard this before. His name has been the first or second speculated name for every coach opening in the league for the last 2 or 3 years. And yet, no takers... ever. I'm starting to wonder if Andy Reid is the problem. If teams just suppose he's calling all the shots, and Bieniemy doesn't have much to do with the Chiefs offense.

Of course, all I'm hearing this morning from Chiefs fan is whining about Chris Jones' roughing the passer penalty. Yeah, it was a bad call. But I've been pissing people off all morning saying watch the 4th Kelce TD... and tell me the trailing receiver didn't commit intentional offensive pass interference. That play was designed to be illegal, but the referees no-called it. Probably in an effort to get out of Arrowhead alive.
My Niners proved themselves against the Rams. We've consistently been a team that can beat anyone, and in the same breath, lose to anyone; it all depends on which team shows up, most importantly which Jimmy G. We've a plethora of talent on all sides of the ball, but bone-headed mistakes can turn the tide at any moment.

And yeah, Bieniemy is going to get his shot and soon. His name has come up too many times and too often for the league to overlook him for a HC spot him much longer. Reid doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would stand in the way of someone's promotion, but I don't know him that well, and I'm sure a shake up with the OC position when you're currently one of the most feared offences in the league wouldn't be all that desirable. I don't have much against the Chiefs (save for the gotdamn Super Bowl they took from us,) but they've enough raw talent that I'm not sure Bienemy or Reid should be lauded as the ultimate mastermind. Mahomes is basically a cheat code that makes almost any offensive scheme viable. Yesterday's game was a close one; not sure if I accredit that to the Raiders being better than expected or the Chiefs being worse than expected. Either way, those are the kinds of games I like watching when I've not a dog in the fight.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
... when was the last time TNF got a good or interesting matchup? It is almost always the least interesting game of the week. Once the newness of the Prime deal wears off, I'd suspect the schedule will go back to reflecting that. Next week is a little interesting (because of the trainwreck that is the Browns,) but by week 4 in the schedule... Dolphins Bengals? Week 5, Colts Broncos? Week 6, there it is... Commanders/Bears. Possible the worst and least interesting game of the week.
You must be a prophet; that game was terrible. A low-scoring game can be an indication of a battle of defenses, but last night's game was a battle of incompetence. Neither team seemed to know what they were doing for most of the game. I turned it off with 4 minutes to go.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
People's attitude towards women's sports is fucking annoying. Is it less successful than men's? Yes. Is it less entertaining? For me, yes. Should women be paid the same? Only when representing their countries in my opinion.

But good God, how many stupid jokes are you going to make about how much worse the women's is versus the men's? Do you really need to leave your shitty recycled opinion on every post or article about women's sports? You don't care for it, we understand, we can all continue ignoring it together. Constantly yammering on about it shows you "care" more about the women part of women's sports.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
People's attitude towards women's sports is fucking annoying. Is it less successful than men's? Yes. Is it less entertaining? For me, yes. Should women be paid the same? Only when representing their countries in my opinion.

But good God, how many stupid jokes are you going to make about how much worse the women's is versus the men's? Do you really need to leave your shitty recycled opinion on every post or article about women's sports? You don't care for it, we understand, we can all continue ignoring it together. Constantly yammering on about it shows you "care" more about the women part of women's sports.
Yeah some guys are so insecure about it. I've seen dudes get emotional over suggestions made by the very girls who play the sport on how to improve their own games. Bro, if you hate women just say it, you don't need to shove your phone in my face and show me WNBA highlights to prove it to me.

Every shred of optimism I had for the Broncos is gone after this last game. This isn't even teething issues, this is a disaster. People keep bringing up when Manning came into the team but that truly was re-calibrating, not the trash football trotting out on offense. Our defense has only allowed over 20 points once so far this season and we're still 2-4. If the offense was half competent we'd probably be undefeated right now. Russ and Hackett are shitting the bed real quick, and that new Russ contract is looking like a killer by the day. I'm gonna see how this Jets game goes, we might get lucky it is the Jets after all and Manning and Fox did turn it around at this point in the season at that juncture, but if we lose here and struggle against the Jaguars this season is over. Our second half is brutal and if we're even limping to wins before the Chiefs and the LA teams it'll already be a write off.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Every shred of optimism I had for the Broncos is gone after this last game. This isn't even teething issues, this is a disaster. People keep bringing up when Manning came into the team but that truly was re-calibrating, not the trash football trotting out on offense. Our defense has only allowed over 20 points once so far this season and we're still 2-4. If the offense was half competent we'd probably be undefeated right now. Russ and Hackett are shitting the bed real quick, and that new Russ contract is looking like a killer by the day. I'm gonna see how this Jets game goes, we might get lucky it is the Jets after all and Manning and Fox did turn it around at this point in the season at that juncture, but if we lose here and struggle against the Jaguars this season is over. Our second half is brutal and if we're even limping to wins before the Chiefs and the LA teams it'll already be a write off.
Wilson isn't looking like the messiah everyone thought he'd be in Denver. I don't watch/follow the Broncos save for when they're the only game being televised on a given gameday, but what do you think is the issue? Lack of offensive chemistry? Lack of offensive weapons? Bad play calling?

Reactions: Offworlder

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Wilson isn't looking like the messiah everyone thought he'd be in Denver. I don't watch/follow the Broncos save for when they're the only game being televised on a given gameday, but what do you think is the issue? Lack of offensive chemistry? Lack of offensive weapons? Bad play calling?
All of the above, plus just negativity seeping in every week. Lack of chemistry is one thing, but failing again and again in the redzone doesn't happen even to the worst of teams (Note: we are the worst of teams). The roster is fine, not elite across the board on offense, but not trash tier either. We should have easily put 3 to 4 touchdowns against some of the teams we've face, instead our points are mostly coming from speical teams. As for the play calling, I don't think the plays are bad, it's just failed execution, unfortantly from our $250 million dollar man. That failure against the Colts is the perfect example. Nice play, perfectly executed from the receivers, and we've got a man wide open on the right, but Russ just stares down the man on the left in double coverage and literally throws the game into the Colts hands. I dunno if its ego or just living and dying by his reads but its look worse and worse each week, and I get a terrible feeling we're heading to the bottom.

But like I said, I'd be a bold to say we have a top 5 defense. If the offence could click just once or twice a game or put together 3 or 4 nice drives we'd be unstoppable.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
You must be a prophet; that game was terrible. A low-scoring game can be an indication of a battle of defenses, but last night's game was a battle of incompetence. Neither team seemed to know what they were doing for most of the game. I turned it off with 4 minutes to go.
With the exception of the first year they started playing on Thursday's, the TNF game is almost always the worst game of the week. Even this week's Cardinals/Saints. It really isn't a terrible matchup, and both teams will be bringing it trying to turn things around. But still, this is a week 6 game between two teams at 2-4. I don't have time right now, but I'd like to take last year's TNF matchups from every week and add the total wins and losses from each team at the time they played on a Thursday to a running total. I don't know that I'd bet losses double wins... but I would bet it would be close to double.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
With the exception of the first year they started playing on Thursday's, the TNF game is almost always the worst game of the week. Even this week's Cardinals/Saints. It really isn't a terrible matchup, and both teams will be bringing it trying to turn things around. But still, this is a week 6 game between two teams at 2-4. I don't have time right now, but I'd like to take last year's TNF matchups from every week and add the total wins and losses from each team at the time they played on a Thursday to a running total. I don't know that I'd bet losses double wins... but I would bet it would be close to double.
You're most likely correct, just leaves an even worse taste in mouth knowing that the league entered this deal with the Amazon devil strictly for the money. They knew better than to wall off access to say, Monday Night Football, or make certain Sunday games Prime exclusive, so they went with the least risk. And there's literally no benefit to the consumer. Yes, they've been the worst matchups, but those teams still have fans who will watch, and it's unfair to have an opportunity for their teams to be the sole game on a given day walled off behind a Prime subscription because... well, there's no good reason except the cash the league is banking.