Square Enix Explains Final Fantasy XIV's Unusual Experience System

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Ok I was exited, but this killed any enthusiasm I might have had for this game.

Who cares if the hardcore players can gain an advantage by playing more? Why punish people for playing the way they want to? Makes no sense.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
You know, that actually makes some kind of sense, and is rather interesting. Though I see one fatal flaw in his plan.

Lets call it Fable Syndrome. Except for the "hardcore" that will remain mostly one class, this broad varying class flexibility will actually diminish the uniqueness of the individual character. In the end, your character will basically be interchangeable with mine, with exception of some gear and look. They'll be decent enough at everything to fill in anywhere, but nothing exceptional.

Mehhhh

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im trying to rap my head around this, they're implementing a system which prevents you from leveling up a particular job after a certain amout of time? Which you than have to use another job? and this is to make it fair and equal for both hardcore and casuals???

Those Japanese people [sub]actually that is wrong[/sub] Square Enix developers are cwwwaaazzzziiii.

*Edit*

Johnnyallstar said:
You know, that actually makes some kind of sense, and is rather interesting. Though I see one fatal flaw in his plan.

Lets call it Fable Syndrome. Except for the "hardcore" that will remain mostly one class, this broad varying class flexibility will actually diminish the uniqueness of the individual character. In the end, your character will basically be interchangeable with mine, with exception of some gear and look. They'll be decent enough at everything to fill in anywhere, but nothing exceptional.

Mehhhh
Actually, You're right. I think they are trying to be different from other MMOs, but are trying to be different in the wrong ways.

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
That's retarded, but judging from the last few Final Fantasy games, hardly a surprise. (Hint: They were horrible.)

Nick Holmgren

Feb 13, 2010
in other news WoW continues to be the most successful mmo of all time with no practail competition coming from square at all. Remember MMO devs, when I want to sit down for 12 hour an power level I expect to be able to DO something in that time. Really, I jsut polished off 72-80 in HUGE power leveling bursts. Use something like the rest system if you want to make casuals feel less screwed.

Nick Holmgren

Feb 13, 2010
Eldarion said:
Ok I was exited, but this killed any enthusiasm I might have had for this game.

Who cares if the hardcore players can gain an advantage by playing more? Why punish people for playing the way they want to? Makes no sense.
Yeah, this is the wrong way to do this. If they had only played this game called World of Warcraft and heard of the rest system. they might not have just put the entire hardcore MMO population off form ever touching the game.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
So... let me get this straight. Stealing a page from many popular casual games, you in effect put a limit on how much XP a person can mill at one given stretch. In a game you need to buy, and pay a monthly fee for. Furthermore, you justify this by suggesting people swap around to other classes during this time. Okay. Ignoring the fact that unless you have a lot of classes that'll still turn off the hardcore players in a huge way, this means any long-running character will work... EXACTLY like any other long-running character, being capable of all the same things, in all the same ways. Any and all uniqueness vanishes.

Which kills part of the point of these kinds of games re: the social element. You are always the tank, you are always the healer, etc, etc. Your gear is specialized for that, your selection of abilities or talents or feats or whatnot are taken with that goal in mind. To quote an old Penny Arcade strip about Phantasy Star Online, I just want to hit stuff with my sword. I want to be able to focus on my given role in a combat, not be stuck playing an entire poorly-specialized RPG squad in one lone body.

To sum up, this is a bad idea from a fiscal perspective, this is a bad idea from an escapism perspective, this is a bad idea from a fun-seeking perspective... it's just a bad idea. Period.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Honestly after playing XI for roughly a year, and knowing the team behind XI is behind this title, and seeing how the graphics look only slightly upgraded, there was only aesthetic changes to races, and how when you get down to it, theres only like 7 combat centric classes, It has really turned me off on the notion of playing this.

I have played every single numbered FF title released and about 80% of the spin off titles. It dissapoints me because honestly with as how this has the potential to being excruciatingly bad I cant see shelling out money to play it for no other reason than to keep my number streak alive, which really is the only motivation ive got for it at the moment.

Seriously... 7 combat classes, and there not even what one would consider FF classes.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its a really, really inresting system, and really odd at the same time. Im going to be playing so wondering how this is actually gong to work...

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I like playing several different jobs/classes anyway, so this does not bother me much.

viranimus said:
and seeing how the graphics look only slightly upgraded
You, sir, are either a dirty liar or in need of some pretty strong glasses.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Mackheath said:
Meh.

What he's really trying to do is stop the Make Love, Not Warcraft-esque super-nerds who can faceroll everyone on anything.

As far as I can see, this will make jack-all difference, except to piss the casual players off and make the 'pros' more versatile.
Yeah... did these guys even think this crap out, or do they just throw darts at a board with game design-related phrases on it? Have they even playtested this shit to know how users will respond to it?

Crikey. I figured FF14 would be mediocre at best--if there's one thing Square doesn't understand it's online infrastructure--but this is just laughably pitiful.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I don't entirely see the point of this, as it just seems like it's punishing grinding almost, and I'm pretty sure that's always been the entire point of FF and MMO's.

Was never interested anyway, so "meh".

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Fair enough. I did I guess mispeak. Its not that the graphics arent a generation ahead. I think its just the visual style in art design that is so similar to XI, that in what ive seen doesnt look alot different from what I saw in XI. It almost looks like reusing assets from XI in a higher resolution mode.

But, I do say that, not having seen a true HQ video of gameplay, and only seeing low quality video and SSs

I think my point still stands, if its the XI team, going in a vaugely similar direction, with alot of reused formats and stylization choices, it doesnt seem like there is a lot of incentive to play it, if you have already played XI.

Sure it will be different, but at this point it feels like a lot will be the same.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
I don't see a problem with it. The main characters in the SP Final Fantasies are built to be Jack of All Trades anyway.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Perhaps it could change after/during Open Beta, but I don't pay monthly fees to have a company play parent on me. If I'm paying monthly I don't want arbitrary barriers impeding on my progress. Early on it's development cycle they touted that you could play the entire game just being a crafter.