Square Enix Responds to "Racist" Deus Ex Character

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Everyone has a right to their opinion, however this guy simply happens to be dead wrong. I'm kind of surprised he got enough attention to be taken fairly seriously within the gaming media.

This is not an unrealistic depiction of a black character, given that there are lots, and lots of people just like that among the lower classes. It's no more offensive than various "white trash" stereotypes that are all through the media. When people complain about the portrayal of lower class minorities, whether they are black or hispanic or whatever, they tend to forget that the same thing is done to the so called "untouchable" majority, and just as frequently. Killer rednecks and hillbillies are stock villains.

To be honest I'd go so far as to say that any real predjudice we see here is along political geographic lines. Generally speaking in the US we have a divide of the coasts vs. the areas towards the middle and south of the country. In general people from the south and middle of the country, the so called "flyover states" are treated as being pathetic morons irregardless of their race, and following real life political divisions tend to be more or less right wing, where the people from the coasts are smarter and of course lean to the left wing. The exceptions you find from those areas full of morons also tend to be budding liberals "born in the wrong place" so to speak. This is probably because most media is created on the coasts, with a lot of TV being made in New York City (East Coast) and movies coming from the West Coast, video games seem to generally follow this pattern though like with everything there are exceptions.

In general when is the last time you've seen a right wing member of "southern gentry" who wasn't some kind of moron or a bad guy almost as bad as the stereotypical redneck except for the trappings of wealth? They exist, but you aren't going to find many of them.

At any rate on the subject of "Deus Ex" this is fine, and really I don't consider this to be a remotely offensive stereotype of a lower class black person. To be honest if she was acting "in your face, gangsta" complete with the whole "I am proud to be uneducated and ignorant, Black Powah! Down with da Man!" fashion nobody would comment, and probably actually have that viewed in a positive light, when in reality I think that's more racist and demeaning than what we see here, where the character was pretty much portrayed as a fairly typical person fallen on fairly hard times. A bad lady/trash lady is not exactly going to be representing the best humanity has to offer no matter what their ethnicity and area of origin is.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
It's fucking stupid don't get me wrong, but square aren't racist, I think at least, just really really really REALLY REALLY REALLY [HEADING=2]REALLY REALLY REALLY[/HEADING] [HEADING=1]REALLY REALLY REALLY THICK.[/HEADING]

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
You're kidding me. I encounter people every day with thicker accents than that. To be honest, when I first move down here to the south east I couldn't understand what the hell they were saying, but after a while i grew an ear for it.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Ian Caronia said:
She calls him "Capt" because he was the leader of a SWAT team and a cop before.
She says nothing racist the entire time, not about black or white people.
She is poor, so she digs in the trash. I come from a family who took me with them for bottle collecting when I was young back before we had a home.

Evan Narcisse, you have offended me more than any stereotype from the 50s ever could. How DARE you tell me my background and my past friends (who spoke much like this NPC does) are "racial stereotypes"? Who do you think you are saying people who act like this NPC are living stereotypes?
By saying this character is a sign of racism, that's EXACTLY what you're doing. You're saying those who act like her are stereotypes. THAT is racism. I am NOT a stereotype, and neither are the guys I used to hang out with!

You've grossly offended me to the point where I am going to email this to you. Or to Time's Techland blog. Likely both if possible.

You confused bad voice acting with racism, and made remarks that imply anyone who is stricken with poverty to have to dig through trash or ask for hand-outs, as well as anyone who speaks with a certain slang, is a walking stereotype. I demand an apology.

Sincerely, Ian Caronia.

...And I will email that to this person ASAP. Looking for an address to do so now.

EDIT: Oh, I get it now. You can't contact the blog unless you subscribe. That's very shrewd of them. Post rediculous content that gets people mad enough to subscribe just to confront you. It's actually a diabolical business practice. Too bad there are other communication outlets I can work through to show this guy how much he offended me.
Ian I would love for you to do this. I plan on writing myself but I believe your personal experience pretty much stomps anything I could come up with.

As a former TIME subscriber I have a couple of contact methods you can use to reach the magazine itself, though they may not be exactly what you want since you can't reach the blog directly, but perhaps someone can shoot your letter to a place that will matter. I can only caution you again that these won't allow you to contact the blog directly.

E-mails:
[email protected]
For instance, or for traditional paper mail to:
TIME Magazine Letters, Time and Life Building, Rockefeller Center, New York, N.Y. 10020. Letters should include full name, telephone number and adress and may be edited for purposes of clarity and space.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Is this a stereotype? Maybe. Is it racist? No. No more so than Coach or Rochelle in Left 4 Dead 2, and those guys are stereotypes to the max.

Atary77 said:
Typical double standard as usual. If it was a Caucasian character that was say, wearing a trucker's cap , a Nascar half t-shirt with his beer gut exposed, missing teeth, chewing tobacco, and spoke in southern twang that even Larry the Cable Guy would have trouble understanding... then no one would have a problem with it. They'd simply laugh at the White stereo type. Because that's just socially acceptable when really it's just as racist to depict a white person like that.

And for the record I'm east indian myself and I could care less if they had someone like Apu from the Simpsons in this game. Cause I'd find it humorous. Bottom line I have no problem with this. And people often forget that racism is a two way street.
Isn't it odd how people are so eager to point out racism, even when none exists?

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
RollForInitiative said:
Honestly, she struck me as a pretty laughably racist stereotype when I ran into her. I was kind of surprised that they'd left her in. Am I offended? No, just surprised.
So you can only talk in a deep southern accent if you white or else it's a stereotype? Now that sounds a bit racist to me. I mean c'mon if this was a white bum who would care? I'll admit it was a strange character to include, but really if you've left your house and entered the Bible belt, it wouldn't be long before you found lots of people who have this accent, they might not even be white. Is Rep. Clay Davis from The Wire a racist portrayal of black people because he talks in a southern accent not unlike this and is a grifter? No, we consider him to just be part of the greatest show ever on TV. So I'm afraid it isn't really even a racial stereotype, it's just a reality.

Byrn Stuff

Nov 16, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Letitia is certainly an easy way to write a character - and I agree that her dialogue and voice-acting are inferior - but to object so vehemently to her portrayal would mean you'd have to object to Mario's Italian characteristics and the Asian stereotypes in Cooking with Mama.
I think that these two examples you've mentioned are so harmless because of the fact that they're both caricatures. If Mario were a completely fleshed out character, his nonsensical faux-Italian would likely be offensive as would Cooking Mama's trouble with L/R distinction. Furthermore, it's the fact that seems to be the go-to depiction of blacks -- even in the future.

Personally, I don't find it offensive, but I do find it short-sighted and predictable. More eyeroll than ire.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
That's...just...stupid.
People should stop acknowledging whenever a pretty weak stereotype appears, and calling it racist.
IT IS NOT RACIST, It's just a stereotype long proved the be about as laughable as any other stereotype. (meaning they are not true)
While stereotypes exist in society and cultures, calling THAT racist is pretty backwards, we should definetly stop giving it attention because it's truly meant to do no harm, and we just keep segregating and givng a stereotypical allegedly racist character much importance. We shouldn't.

bobtail123

Sep 26, 2010
There are lots of people, of all races, in DE:HR that don't talk like that. It would only be really offensive if every black person you met spoke like that and was homeless.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
So...essentially...every ethnic minority character has to be the pinnacle of virtue, otherwise they're racist? Somehow, that stance seems very inaccurate. So it's a black character who lives on the streets. Are you trying to tell me that real black people are not homeless? That there is not a single African-American living in some Chicago alley?

Hah. Reminds me of a conversation I had about Grand Theft Auto IV with my fellow support workers. An Eastern European migrant is forced to turn to crime to avoid poverty in his newfound 'promised land'? How stereotypical.

Except we are support workers for homeless Eastern European migrants.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Some people in the real world just fit stereotypes, while some don't. Having one but not the other in this game would have felt more fabricated. Letitia gets singled out because she kinda reminds us of the American south's past and that whole situation, or of Transformers 2, which understandably makes people touchy - but this game has a healthy mix of subtle "real people" and loud stereotypes that score points for verisimilitude. Gunther and Anna Nevarre from DX1 were sterotypes. Zeke Sanders is a Latin-American stereotype. Bill Taggart is a white stereotype.

Letitia isn't "saying something" about black people, she's just saying something about Letitia.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
The characters offensive because it was a purposeful jab at black people. There's no way that Eidos Montreal didn't know that that might piss off some people.

So they put the character in, knowing full well what will happen, and then they do what everybody does. DENY DENY DENY. It's typical neurotic bullshit that people have been trying to get away with since the 1860's. It's like a game to some people.

And this proves that race is THE number 1 issue plaguing the US and North America in general. The bigots will not win.

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
If it's not racism, then I would say that it's just a really bad character.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Eidos Montreal also counted on the gaming sites not to really say anything. Cuz...you guys never do. You'll say 'We need to talk about it.' But that's about it.

Look at this article. The guy pretty much says 'Italians don't complain so shut up stupid black people.' Not surprising from a community that argues such topics like whether or not giving women the right to vote was a good idea.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
SillyBear said:
Lancer873 said:
snip for length
snip
It's a stock character. If it's racist, then the secretary in the Sarif building is sexist. And the prostitutes and gang members? That's so totally class discrimination. Not every character has to have a vast dynamic characterization behind them.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
...why is it only racist when it's applied to the people who are supposed to have had it "rougher" in the view of history?

I am dead serious. I want an answer for this.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
I hate this knee jerk reactionary bullshit. It seems that if you show a minority as anything less then a perfect role model who speaks in a well enunciated, un-accented way people will immediately pounce upon you as being racist. This just in, there are black people who talk like that and there are black homeless people. Is it impossible that these things overlap? Jesus christ guys, if that lady were white no one would say a thing; there would be no outcry about unfair treatment toward southerners or something.

Plus, it's not like they went to any great ends to show that all black people are like this did they? It's not like they were making a commentary on race was it? It was just one character and that what it should be viewed as, an isolated, strange character.