Square Enix Responds to "Racist" Deus Ex Character

xXCrocmonXx

Apr 16, 2009
So we flip out because Latissha here actually depicts people as they are today, and is blatantly accepting of varying ethnicities by including them in the game, and having characters pretty much not care.

Where was this guy when Bridget Tenenbaum of Bioshock fame was called a Kraut? Where was he when Dr. Yi Suchong was voiced? He spoke in (at times) broken English and his accent was heavily influenced by his Chinese heritage. But did we care then? No.

It's honestly a good thing that games can do stuff like this and the only reactions they get for it are nutjobs like this. Maybe someday soon, video games will have made huge steps in racial acceptance in people by exposing them to all the different people and going "Yea, people like her exist. Guess what: there's no problem with that. They're people just like you, and just like all the other characters in this story. That's pretty much life in a nutshell."

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
AdumbroDeus said:
In any work of art, the artist is responsible for the symbolism the work carries. The reason why they made the environment large and relatively advanced is obvious, but if it would carry a meaning that they didn't intend and would be counterproductive then they should've designed in a way that had the advantages without carrying that meaning.
It would've been pretty easy to nip this in the bud before the fact, but capcom is unfortunately not known for cultural knowledge or sensitivity, so I doubt they even realized it would be an issue.
So it was obvious that the design choices were for gameplay reasons but instead you decide to ignore that and assign a meaning they didn't intend so you can show righteous indignation about the game?

I can misinterperet any piece of art and consider it racist, that doesn't make it so.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Firstly, she's a single character, not all black characters in the game speak like her.

secondly she's a hobo and an alcholic it seems, I imagine Stephen Fry may sound a little different after 10 years living on the street and eating out of bins. (Not that it would happen, most Brits would give money out of their own pocket to keep him in tweed and Duchy Original biscuits!).

Thirdly, she'd asked for a beer, not some fried chicken and some watermelon, ending it with 'massa'.

Fourthly, some people talk like that. Some rednecks sound Larry the cable guy, some english women sound like they just stepped off the set of 'Keeping up Appearances'.

Fifthly, the complainer is an arse.

If we can't have one black character sound like she's based in the ghetto, when...she's based in the ghetto, perhaps it'd be more realistic to have all black characters voiced by this guy, he has at least been homeless.

I've seen white homeless types in games that were utterly incomprehensible, but I didn't take offense, as that's the 'hobo' part, not the white part. I understand blacks n whites of different social classes CAN sound different, but don't have to.

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
Ummm - how can an accent or voice be racist?

That's just how somebody sounds. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of black/white women/men out there that speak like this.

Geez.

mokmoof

Apr 8, 2010
AdumbroDeus, both of your arguments seem to hinge on the issue of realism. Latisha is not a racial caricature because some people sound just like her, and because homeless people really do hustle for money, is what you seem to be saying.

Thing is, whatever Edios et al intended when they put Latisha in the game, I really don't think that what they were going for was realism. This isn't The Wire. The idea is not for an actual homeless person to see the character and say "Yeah, that's just what it's like." Quite the opposite, the company's reaction seems to indicate that the world of DX:HR is supposed to be, in some sense, post-racial--quite unlike our own.

Latisha is not supposed to sound like a real person. It's a stylized performance, which is totally fine in and of itself. What's interesting, again, is that for whatever reason, the specific style they've chosen is pretty closely aligned to minstrel dialogue (which is why I provided a YouTube link in my previous post, to show that that connection is real).

It is also interesting that people see that very mannered characterization and think "That's exactly how homeless black people really are!" or worse yet, "If you're reading racial stereotypes into that totally harmless dialect, then you're the racist one!" The fact that such an historically-situated archetype can just read as generically "poor" or "uneducated" or whatever else people have said in this thread? That proves my point, not yours.

AdumbroDeus said:
1. The accent and speech style is common today (ebonics, look it up).
Latisha's speech patterns sound much more like minstrelsy than like modern-day Ebonics. And yes, there is a difference. Snoop Dogg doesn't sound anything like the Kingfish, and Latisha sounds much closer to the latter.

And look, even if you're right, and if there are a whole bunch of people saying "I bees right here waitin' for you, Cap'n" in casual conversation (which I frankly doubt), characters in books and games and movies aren't real people. In media, subservient black characters who talk like Latisha have a very long and odious history, and it's that tradition (not that of the real black people whom you or I happen to know) to which Latisha belongs.

AdumbroDeus said:
2. The reality of homeless people is most want to SURVIVE, so they will perform services. Try going to a subway in NYC, homeless people will very commonly perform or do some other type of service to make ends meet in addition to simply begging.
The mere fact that Latisha is a homeless black person "performing services" is not in any way what's at issue here. What's at issue is the specific ways in which this minor black character relates to the white protagonist--the specific way that she genuflects to him, and how she's willing to help him out a whole bunch whether she gets paid or not, and yes, the fact that she sounds more than a little mammyish while doing so.

And again, I think it would be really hard to argue that Latisha is supposed to closely resemble a real homeless person. Edios certainly isn't making that argument, and there's not much in the text to support it, so I'm honestly not sure why you're making it.

AdumbroDeus said:
Furthermore, the implications that people are drawing from her dialect (namely that they imply lack of education and sub-subservience) extremely ignorant of black urban culture or openly racist. The message is this, if you want to be judged as an equal, you need to talk like a white person, a different speech pattern automatically identifies you as inferior. On the other hand, other unusual ways of speaking english are nowhere near as looked down upon.
First, the representation of black people is a different matter than the depiction of white southerners, or of Asians, or of whoever it is you're thinking of when you talk about "unusual ways of speaking." Slavery, Reconstruction, and Jim Crow segregation all relied on systematically representing black people as less than human, or incapable of caring for themselves, or irredeemably violent and/or stupid. While there have certainly been horrific racial caricatures of Asians, Irish, Italians, Jews, and others throughout American history, and while those are real histories that should be remembered and addressed, they are not automatically equal to the tradition of dehumanizing or infantilizing black people.

Put simply: There was no period of American history when any of those other groups was considered property, nor were Irish Americans ever joyously and publicly lynched, in large numbers, by white mobs with de facto legal impunity.

Second, you're not arguing honestly when you talk about people "automatically" ascribing inferiority to Latisha because of her shuck-and-jive dialect. She reads as inferior because the text marks her as inferior. Her dialect doesn't exist in isolation; it appears along with her low social status and her subservience to the gravel-voiced white hero. A lot of people seem to think that it lines up naturally, in fact, which is exactly what makes it a problem: Of course she looks and sounds like that! That's just how poor people look and sound!

If Jensen's boss sounded like Latisha, for example, then we would have something to talk about.

Finally, you didn't say that this was a censorship issue, but you're sort of inching toward that argument when you talk about how we "can't" depict homeless people "performing services." So I just want to be clear: I'm not saying Edios shouldn't be allowed to but a minstrel show sort of a character in their game, or any of that sort of alarmist, "PC Police" nonsense. I'm just saying that they wrote the character badly, and I think they did so because they didn't have a handle on the history of the trope they'd chosen.

That Latisha exists is not surprising, or shouldn't be. That people want to talk about Latisha is potentially constructive. There is absolutely no need to get angry at those who want to talk about Latisha, as though racism would suddenly disappear if only we would stop talking about race. That's defensive, unproductive, and tedious.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Honestly, aren't they primarily portraying a hobo, who secondarily just happens to be black? If it had been a white hobo, with whatever accent, would it have been bad?

Is it racism if the bad guy in a movie is black? Or to phrase it otherwise, if they cast anything but a white person in a role not the hero, is it racism?

Which leaves the question, what happens when someone accuses you of racism, for not casting minorities as bad guys or other "negative" roles, when you have chosen to do so, because casting them as such would get you a cryout for beeing racist as well?
If you cast minorities for those roles, you're a racist, but If you cast only white people for those roles, you're a racist as well.

There's racism, and theres racial over-sensitivity, and somehow, the two is getting mixed a lot.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Sylveria said:
I'd be more offended by the people saying "This woman is an african-american stereotype" than by the actual character itself. You must be pretty darn racist to see something that over the top and say "Yup, that's what black people sound like."
Lol, this.

Its the same as when people say, "Im not racist but...", you know that they are most definetly racist on some level or they wouldn't be thinking it in the first place.

xXCrocmonXx

Apr 16, 2009
mokmoof said:
And look, even if you're right, and if there are a whole bunch of people saying "I bees right here waitin' for you, Cap'n" in casual conversation (which I frankly doubt)
You're from the northern states, aren't you? If so, that'd explain your refusal to accept that people actually do talk like that. I went to a high school that was predominantly African American (was formerly a school created for the sole purpose of Segregation), and it was either ebonics or this that I heard from that ethnicity. To be fair, it was the older people that spoke like this.

It's a fact of life that people sound ridiculously different. You're being ridiculous in trying to make racism where there isn't. Just because it was a caricature way of talking way back when, certainly doesn't mean anything of the sort now.

fates_puppet13

Dec 20, 2010
this is pathetic

bubble man clearly has no idea what he's talking about

and square enix are kissing up to anyone offended no matter how rediculos the claim

accents in deus ex games can be very exaggurated, because they're all racits, no.

remember this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLkokNuIojw

THAT is more racist than a very stong south african accent

super mario is more racist than this

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Thedek said:
hooksashands said:
I'm going to Kentucky tomorrow and pretty much everyone from around there talks like this, black and white.
That kind of depends on the area. May be in eastern KY but it ain't in western. We still have accents but they aren't quite to THAT level.
Nonsense, my friend. I've only been here three days and already heard someone use 'hootenanny', plus you all seem to enjoy crawfish like it's going out of style. Stereotypical? Yes. Offensive? Only if you accept it like I'm trying to be mean.

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
mokmoof said:
AdumbroDeus, both of your arguments seem to hinge on the issue of realism. Latisha is not a racial caricature because some people sound just like her, and because homeless people really do hustle for money, is what you seem to be saying.

Thing is, whatever Edios et al intended when they put Latisha in the game, I really don't think that what they were going for was realism. This isn't The Wire. The idea is not for an actual homeless person to see the character and say "Yeah, that's just what it's like." Quite the opposite, the company's reaction seems to indicate that the world of DX:HR is supposed to be, in some sense, post-racial--quite unlike our own.

Latisha is not supposed to sound like a real person. It's a stylized performance, which is totally fine in and of itself. What's interesting, again, is that for whatever reason, the specific style they've chosen is pretty closely aligned to minstrel dialogue (which is why I provided a YouTube link in my previous post, to show that that connection is real).

It is also interesting that people see that very mannered characterization and think "That's exactly how homeless black people really are!" or worse yet, "If you're reading racial stereotypes into that totally harmless dialect, then you're the racist one!" The fact that such an historically-situated archetype can just read as generically "poor" or "uneducated" or whatever else people have said in this thread? That proves my point, not yours.

AdumbroDeus said:
1. The accent and speech style is common today (ebonics, look it up).
Latisha's speech patterns sound much more like minstrelsy than like modern-day Ebonics. And yes, there is a difference. Snoop Dogg doesn't sound anything like the Kingfish, and Latisha sounds much closer to the latter.

And look, even if you're right, and if there are a whole bunch of people saying "I bees right here waitin' for you, Cap'n" in casual conversation (which I frankly doubt), characters in books and games and movies aren't real people. In media, subservient black characters who talk like Latisha have a very long and odious history, and it's that tradition (not that of the real black people whom you or I happen to know) to which Latisha belongs.

AdumbroDeus said:
2. The reality of homeless people is most want to SURVIVE, so they will perform services. Try going to a subway in NYC, homeless people will very commonly perform or do some other type of service to make ends meet in addition to simply begging.
The mere fact that Latisha is a homeless black person "performing services" is not in any way what's at issue here. What's at issue is the specific ways in which this minor black character relates to the white protagonist--the specific way that she genuflects to him, and how she's willing to help him out a whole bunch whether she gets paid or not, and yes, the fact that she sounds more than a little mammyish while doing so.

And again, I think it would be really hard to argue that Latisha is supposed to closely resemble a real homeless person. Edios certainly isn't making that argument, and there's not much in the text to support it, so I'm honestly not sure why you're making it.

AdumbroDeus said:
Furthermore, the implications that people are drawing from her dialect (namely that they imply lack of education and sub-subservience) extremely ignorant of black urban culture or openly racist. The message is this, if you want to be judged as an equal, you need to talk like a white person, a different speech pattern automatically identifies you as inferior. On the other hand, other unusual ways of speaking english are nowhere near as looked down upon.
First, the representation of black people is a different matter than the depiction of white southerners, or of Asians, or of whoever it is you're thinking of when you talk about "unusual ways of speaking." Slavery, Reconstruction, and Jim Crow segregation all relied on systematically representing black people as less than human, or incapable of caring for themselves, or irredeemably violent and/or stupid. While there have certainly been horrific racial caricatures of Asians, Irish, Italians, Jews, and others throughout American history, and while those are real histories that should be remembered and addressed, they are not automatically equal to the tradition of dehumanizing or infantilizing black people.

Put simply: There was no period of American history when any of those other groups was considered property, nor were Irish Americans ever joyously and publicly lynched, in large numbers, by white mobs with de facto legal impunity.

Second, you're not arguing honestly when you talk about people "automatically" ascribing inferiority to Latisha because of her shuck-and-jive dialect. She reads as inferior because the text marks her as inferior. Her dialect doesn't exist in isolation; it appears along with her low social status and her subservience to the gravel-voiced white hero. A lot of people seem to think that it lines up naturally, in fact, which is exactly what makes it a problem: Of course she looks and sounds like that! That's just how poor people look and sound!

If Jensen's boss sounded like Latisha, for example, then we would have something to talk about.

Finally, you didn't say that this was a censorship issue, but you're sort of inching toward that argument when you talk about how we "can't" depict homeless people "performing services." So I just want to be clear: I'm not saying Edios shouldn't be allowed to but a minstrel show sort of a character in their game, or any of that sort of alarmist, "PC Police" nonsense. I'm just saying that they wrote the character badly, and I think they did so because they didn't have a handle on the history of the trope they'd chosen.

That Latisha exists is not surprising, or shouldn't be. That people want to talk about Latisha is potentially constructive. There is absolutely no need to get angry at those who want to talk about Latisha, as though racism would suddenly disappear if only we would stop talking about race. That's defensive, unproductive, and tedious.

Frankly, it's supposed to be comparable to homeless people in real cities because that improves the immersion. To use upper class british accents for random real people is immersion breaking.

I don't think that Deus Ex claims to be post-racial, though racial issues didn't directly come to the fore, deus ex doesn't imply those issues have been solved or gotten worse. And different dialects of english will always be present.

And they're not historically situated, the fact that it bears ANY resemblence to historical archtypes is because language evolves over time. The way that she said "sheeeet" alone identifies her as a product of modern urban culture.

As far as the fact that it doesn't match your image of urban culture has a lot to do with the fact that Hollywood's image of suberbia doesn't represent actual suberbia. Media and fantasy are one thing, reality is another.

Finally, your implication of that it's generally infantile is disturbing and racist in and of itself. That the language marks you as poor and uneducated is patently false, it's just part of urban culture and people who hold that culture have a wide variety of educational levels. But ebonics is present regardless, not the dialect of ignorant people but the dialect of a culture.

This is yet another attack on ebonics cloaked as an attack on racism, and these attacks on ebonics while ignoring all the other dialects that are spoken by primarily white populations. Frankly, it's sickening.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
I'm just gonna go right ahead and say it: THERE ARE PEOPLE IN REAL LIFE WHO TALK LIKE THAT. Real black people, who actually do talk with that kind of slang. I know a few personally. This is just an excuse to press the rage button, and should be ignored.

Incidently, however, the voiceover/slang would be a lot better if she actually looked the part, rather then looking like a slightly dirty suburban woman. Her look and voice just don't match up at all.

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
If anything, She's speaking in the Pagan dialect of Thief series.

The woodsie folk are offended by theeses :c

Enslave_All_Elves

Mar 31, 2011
I object! As a Detroiter I would like to say that there is absolutely no racism in Detroit! Ahahaha even reading that made me laugh a bit...

Come on, this accusation is coming from the dude who thought having black zombies in an African setting in RE5 was racist. Clearly he is an alarmist dingbat.

Von Dean

Feb 10, 2010
Evan Narcisse is an idiot by the sound of it,if Letitia had been caucasian and her accent was russian would he be saying that its racist?...oh yeah I forgot about the RE5 zombie thingy, Evan Narcisse is definetly an idiot but im too tired to make my point so you'll just have to trust me on that

PhoenixVanguard

Aug 28, 2010
Anah said:
I was horribly offended by the German accents I ran into.

No, I wasn't.

I was offended by the fact that the last antagonist was a woman, that is so sexist.

No. Wait. I wasn't.

Sorry for quoting you here, but you seemed to be both dismissive of the whole idea, yet understanding where he comes from. Though I do NOT understand where he comes from. I support the theory that everyone is allowed to be treated equally. Whether that means we have white antagonists, black antagonists, German antagonists or characters with "stereotypical"... I mean, am I allowed to be offended when a white woman is painted in bad light? No. But a black person is allowed to be offended when another black person in a GAME is painted in something they consider offensive.

If everyone has to start turning over their writing five times to make sure it is fully "offence free" we will stop seeing single moms, adopted kids, drug victims, rape victims... and the list goes on.

So.

Yeah.

No offence, but being offended by a game is ridiculous.
No need to apologize for quoting or making an argument...that's the point of a forum, afterall. But again...the argument isn't whether you're personally offended. I am Not. Narcisse is. But he still loves the game. The point is that, on an almost completely objective level, the character is racist. Why? Because she almost EXACTLY mirrors the degrading, derogatory minstrel show depictions of black people that permeated the media in the early 1900s (YouTube Amos & Andy, Black Face, minstrel Show, The Dave Chappelle Pixie sketch, the list goes on...). I was one of the first people in my circle of friends to buy this game, and people came over JUST to watch me play and decide if they should pick it up. When Letitia opened her mouth, we ALL cracked up...the racism there is TRULY palpable. But we found it funny. Others found it offensive. Some find it accurate. But your reaction to it doesn't change what it is.

Was it intentional? Probably not, the woman's just a horrific voice actor who took what probably should have been a southern, slurred drawl and butchered it until it resembled something that was uncomfortably familiar to anyone who has seen the right films, or takes two seconds to run an internet search to see WHY someone might have this viewpoint. You don't have to be offended by something to think it's racist, but to just claim it's not there and you can't IMAGINE why someone might think that way seems ignorant or overly dismissive because of bias, and ultimately damages the position you're trying to make because it ignores the very apparent relation to something very real and tangible. I love this game. Best single player experience I've had in years. And I don't want people to decide against buying it based on this EXTREMELY minor character or what people may think of her. But I'm not going to dismiss a valid point with largely close minded, nonsensical, and generally irrelevant counter-arguments.

Like the mind boggling "It's not racist because sometimes it's true" argument I brought up before, or this "Oh...BLACK people are allowed to be offended when 'X' happens, but I'M NOT allowed when 'Y' happens" schtick. Who says you're not allowed? Where are these people? Is someone going to arrest you? Are you going to be fined? Is Jensen going to cloak into your room and jam his elbow blades through your lungs? Is there a law somewhere that I missed? Granted, people with no sense of historical or cultural relevance might decry your argument on the internet, sure, but...oh wait...that's happening here too. But that doesn't mean it's not allowed. It means someone disagrees with you. And that's perfectly allowed.

There's nothing wrong with being offended in degrees by a female character whose "armor" covers no more than 2% of her body. There's nothing wrong with being offended by a gay character who speaks in lispy showtunes and hits on every male character who so much as shoots hime a cursory glance. And yeah, it's most CERTAINLY okay to NOT be offended by anything of these things...and it's important to note that THAT'S not the same thing as claiming that the problem isn't there at all. Ideally, you try to be fair, and see the complete game for the trash or treasure it is. And if you DO have a valid beef, then fine, bring it up and let people evaluate for themselves, and give all opinions a fair shake. Many people have rightfully pointed out that there are many OTHER black characters in this game who are far from offensive, and many more (Helloooooo Shanghai) who as are much worse as a whole. But that doesn't make Letitia any less of a very classic, observable example of racism that's fair game to point out. Especially when (And again, I sincerely HATE that I have to defend someone who says that putting black people in Africa is racist) HE REALLY LIKED THE GAME AND GAVE IT A STELLAR REVIEW.

And don't even get me started on that "Racism doesn't still exist" argument someone made earlier. Was that a joke? Seriously.