SSX Review

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
So I found out my problem with the rewind function...I'm playing with classic controls and it doesn't recognize input from the pad after a rewind, only the stick.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Turns out GameStop just dropped the price for a new game by 20USD.

Not sure if that's saying anything, but it seems kind of odd for a price drop to happen so quickly.

Dalton Hayes

Apr 5, 2010
I've loved every sxx. Noooot stoping with this one. Just love flying down a mountain, while doing tricks that are clearly not possible. :D

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
I just noticed SSX sitting on my shelf, with barely 8 hours of play time. I was greatly let down by the lack of split screen multiplayer. Past SSX games were some of the few games my wife would play with me. We really enjoyed playing together and think back on them fondly. Without split-screen, SSX is just another game in the pile.

stef1987

Jan 11, 2011
well I just bought the game (got it yesterday), I hope people still playing it.
so anyone who in Europe here who plays ssx ?
I don't know anyone who has ssx, so my friend list is kinda lonely :(

anyway, I like it so far, though I'm not blown away.
I tried some global events, got a couple of golds, platinum and 1 diamond on my first try on tracks I had never played before, so do most people just suck or am I automatically placed with newbie riders or something ?

anyway, I can't seem to find exactly how tricky state and score multipliers work, it's not entirely the same as before (in the ps2 games), they seem to stop after not dooing a trick for a second or so, but I can't seem to find any indication, until it's too late, so what's with that ?

Also, I'm using the classic controls mode, but there's 1 thing that's different, which I can't get used to, namely that letting go of the shoulder buttons but keeping the square pressed used to stop the trick, but now it doesn't, which makes me crash often, urgh.

Also, what's the deal with trick events, there's no timer, so can I just take as long as I want ? or are there setbacks for beeing slow ? (or bonus points for beeing fast ?)

Anyway, did I missed something, or is there just no normal (online or offline) multiplayer ?
it's all against ghosts now, which isn't really multiplayer.

stef1987

Jan 11, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
stef1987 said:
Anyway, this wasn't a review, it's a commercial
How so?
whoops, just noticed I never answered, sorry for that.
I didn't mean to offend you or anything, it just it really didn't feel like a review, but rather a commercial, as you only said it was all great, without saying why it was great,
and you never said anything about the minpoints,
also no comparison to other games, or even the previous ssx games.
It was just a lot like the text on the back of a game, you know, which only states the supposed selling points, and is totally biased.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
stef1987 said:
Susan Arendt said:
stef1987 said:
Anyway, this wasn't a review, it's a commercial
How so?
whoops, just noticed I never answered, sorry for that.
I didn't mean to offend you or anything, it just it really didn't feel like a review, but rather a commercial, as you only said it was all great, without saying why it was great,
and you never said anything about the minpoints,
also no comparison to other games, or even the previous ssx games.
It was just a lot like the text on the back of a game, you know, which only states the supposed selling points, and is totally biased.
Did you actually read the review? I back up my praise. Comparing it to other games is only beneficial if the reader has actually played the other games in question, so I make a choice to only discuss the game in question.

stef1987

Jan 11, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Did you actually read the review? I back up my praise. Comparing it to other games is only beneficial if the reader has actually played the other games in question, so I make a choice to only discuss the game in question.
sorry, forgot to mention, but I was only talking about the video review. (At the time of my initial post, I didn't even know about the written review, as I didn't knew this site very well then, and had just clicked on the comments-link below the video.)
The written review does go a bit more in depth, but I still find it lacking some criticism.
But I guess that could just be because you really like the game.
Only in the last sentence I find some criticism "if you don't plan on going online, you may not enjoy your time on the mountain." and it kindof comes out of nowhere.

I'm sorry for seemingly bashing on this review, I just wanted to explain what I meant.

(and more importantly, I wanted to say I finally bought the game, I wanted to see who still plays it, for some friendly competition)