Star Trek Computer Now a Reality

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Star Trek Computer Now a Reality

Holodecks are still a ways off, but we can now use the computer interface we saw Wesley Crusher using on The Next Generation.

The computers of Star Trek: The Next Generation (and every subsequent series set in that era) featured a truly nifty touch screen interface that fans have dreamed about for years. As you can see with this video, this computer interace is no longer the stuff of science fiction.

The video was created by <a href=http://www.codeimp.com/index.php?p=home>Pascal vd Heiden, a technical engine programmer at Triumph Studios in the Netherlands. According to vd Heiden:

This is what I built in my home and this video is my own work. Both the computer and the software is self made. The interface is inspired by the LCARS interface from Star Trek.

Shown in this video are:
- Agenda/Calendar
- Shopping list (Groceries)
- Rain radar
- Train departure times (because the train station is nearby)
- Library & Media player (connected to home cinema set)
- Internet browser

Not shown, but also operational is bluetooth support (notice the Transfer button to send the shopping list to your telephone)

In the comments section of the video, vd Heiden explains to inquisitive fans that the interface actually runs on Windows XP. Personally, I'm an Apple user, but I would totally set up a Windows rig if I could get something like this running in my home.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
This looks friggin sweet. Seriously, I want one. And we already kinda have sort-of-lightsabers..

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
A Trekkie with a remarkably clean, tidy, and modern house? o_O

Truly is it the future!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
/want
I'd want one that runs on apple and had the ability to change the appearance of the interface.

Also, it'd be neat if you could do what he did on that computer with the music (making it play on the TV in the other room) with other features of the house, ex: change the colour of the walls/floors/ceilings, change the lighting of rooms, make music play in hallways, make movies play on floors, etc.

Of course, all of that would require hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of interface, but it would still be very awesome =D

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Huh?

All it is is an interface.. it's like a big app.

The idea of the 'actual' interface was that it was adaptable to show any computing information and ALSO allowed actual computing tasks to be done... not just a series of predefined indexes and functions.. and since when was there a software qwerty?

This is no more than an expansion on the overlay interfces that have been available for years.

Meh.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol I just watched the Star Trek movie last night

whooo Windows XP, the most advanced Windows OS yet (apparently teehee)
(technically 7 is just an expansion of XP?)

the Apple statement was funny, cuz my first thought was "what if I just glued an iPad to the wall?"

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Hannan4mitch said:
Dr. House, I give you the honors...

ALOT!
Ditto! DO WANT!

Uhh.. Maybe hook a vacuum cleaner-robot and a door-phone to the system as well... Just because?

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
This is a great development. It looks like you could use this interface for an entire home setup: security, climate control, home theater, the works!

As for Mac and Windows, why be constrained to one or the other? I can see this kind of interface being used for both easily.

Although Steve Jobs might throw a fit since he didn't think of it.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
Huh?

The idea of the 'actual' interface was that it was adaptable to show any computing information and ALSO allowed actual computing tasks to be done... not just a series of predefined indexes and functions.. and since when was there a software qwerty?

This is no more than an expansion on the overlay interfces that have been available for years.

Meh.
LOL talk about opinionated...

He doesnt state once that his creation IS the one from Star Trek, just that he based his design on it...

What he made is really cool. A skinned touch touchscreen interface which performs a lot of functions that a home user would need on a wall mounted console. It mentioned it was bluetooth also which means security system interaction, home temp. regulation etc.

This designer has shown, that with a little bit of ingenuity and technical nouse, a Star Trek console could be of an actual use in our homes, something any Trekkie has wanted.

I applaud this guy and hope he makes millions!

Arrakiv

Dec 17, 2005
I admit it. That was actually pretty cool. Creating a Star Trek styled interface even makes a bit of sense, given it was designed with touch in mind - even if only make-believe style on a TV show. Buttons are nice and big, only see what you need at the time, etc...

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
For anyone who wants it

http://www.lcarsx32.com/lcars/index.php

This is an older project, I don't think it's seen any real advancement for a while, but this lets you run your computer with an LCARS interface.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Bretty said:
Fumbleumble said:
Huh?

Meh.
LOL talk about opinionated...

He doesnt state once that his creation IS the one from Star Trek, just that he based his design on it...

What he made is really cool. A skinned touch touchscreen interface which performs a lot of functions that a home user would need on a wall mounted console. It mentioned it was bluetooth also which means security system interaction, home temp. regulation etc.

This designer has shown, that with a little bit of ingenuity and technical nouse, a Star Trek console could be of an actual use in our homes, something any Trekkie has wanted.

I applaud this guy and hope he makes millions!
Lol.. How soooo missing the point title of the post "Star Trek Computer Now a Reality"

and how is it any different to any other interface that's been made.. except you can [press a screen.

Way to fail at being snooty at someone.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
I don't know what to say beyond "This is fucking awesome."

I personally wouldn't have styled the interface after Star Trek, but that doesn't make this tech any less cool.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
Huh?

Meh.
Especially since we've had better designs. If anything, this is a nice bit of retro action. It's neat, but hardly teh foochur!

Personally, I was hoping for a computer that could answer complex questions in the voice of Majel Barrett.