Star Trek Game "Emotionally Hurt" J.J. Abrams

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Ok J.J. the game hurt you, we get it. It was the cause of all the bad things surrounding your little butt of a movie. You were in no way at fault. Glad that's settled.

Now get back to work adding lens flares and Ewok Jedi to the new Star Wars Films. Make it so. DOH! I mean, Punch it Chewie!

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
He is obviously not familiar with video games. Everyone knows movie-games are awful. Except goldeneye... but that was just a fluke.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
But... I don't want them to ruin the delicious mystery of the Portal games. Unless Abrams just plans to not open the box that is, or have the mystery be really shitty, predictable and boring... Well the first Star Trek movie was reasonably entertaining I guess, I had fun watching it. I'm not a fan of the series at all, and I haven't seen the second one because the first one didn't interest me enough that I wanted to spend money on a sequel.

Don't blame a shitty game with poor sales for whatever failings you feel your movie had though...

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Abrams went to Valve? Wow... he at least gets it.

Mycroft Holmes said:
He is obviously not familiar with video games. Everyone knows movie-games are awful. Except goldeneye... but that was just a fluke.
Depends on the source material and scope of the game. If it's just meant to mirror the movie then it is usually pretty bad as a game. But if it's just using the universe and the characters (optional) then it can be quite good depending on the quality of said universe.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Anything that's based on something else needs to be able to stand on its own merits
Lol, coming from the guy that basically took characters, settings and in fact an entire scene from the second Star Trek movie and then inserted them to zero effect in to HIS second Star Trek movie.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
You know, there's actually never even been a good Star Trek game. You'd think that with like... 40+ years to do it, at least one good one would have come out.

Elite Force was not good. :p

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I actually think a Star Trek game developed by Subset Games (well, a Subset Games dev team comprised of more than two blokes) would be more ideal over Valve.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Abrams, I hate to break it to you but I fairly certain that your film's failure at the Box Office had nothing to do with the tie in video game.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Karloff said:
Star Trek Game "Emotionally Hurt" J.J. Abrams

It might even have hurt the movie, Abrams says.

"The plenty of problems [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7247-Star-Trek] that had nothing to do with the game tie-in - but the video game did the series no favors, and Abrams didn't appreciate being tagged with its awfulness just as all the work on the movie was about to pay off.

That doesn't mean Abrams has given up on games, as part of the Star Trek franchise. He accepts that games based on movies don't often work, but thinks that there is a solution. He's in talks with Valve, in hope that - in spite of the awfulness of the Star Trek game - there's a way past that disaster, to something better. "Starting from scratch," says Abrams, "let's make this, from the ground up, great, regardless of what's come before." Anything that's based on something else needs to be able to stand on its own merits, Abrams feels, and maybe Valve is the company best suited to achieve that. As to what that collaboration may result in, Abrams isn't about to say, beyond dropping brief Portal and Half Life movie [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/games/jj-abrams-portal-half-life-valve/#/0] hints.

Abrams feels there's a lot of potential cross-over between movies and games. Tomb Raider, Uncharted and similar action titles blow him away, with their cinematic vision. "You watch the beginning of Uncharted 3," he says, "you're watching it, as amazed as you would be in any movie, and then you're like 'oh! I'm in this thing!'" He'd love to see more of that cross-influence take hold, but without the whole "ancillary product" marketing ploy thing that ruined Star Trek.

Source: GamerHub Video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUWdXbx28xPxbotxGIQDjIbA&v=uVXCjDFVBss]

Well then JJ, we're even because your misguided Star Trek reboots hurt me emotionally.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
How bad was the game if it was worse than his movies? Never saw the second movie, nor played the games, so I really don't know... Is it really worse than the movies?!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Gordon_4 said:
Well then JJ, we're even because your misguided Star Trek reboots hurt me emotionally.
I bet heaps of fans of the actual Star Trek series feel similar.

I think JJ should get out of the entertainment industry if he can't handle the fact that crappy licensed games exist to milk out a franchise much to the detriment of fans and the IP... Wait.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
How DARE J.J. Abrams express disappointment that a tie-in to something he worked very hard on for several years was low in quality? After all, since a minority of people consider his movie to be unsatisfactory, he is a soulless clone of Hitler and his hopes and dreams deserve to burn.

It would be like the creators of [game franchise] or [anything by Alan Moore] complaining that [terrible movie adaptation made without their permission] was sub-par. Not like anybody would do that.

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
Ldude893 said:
Mr.Pandah said:
I liked the movie. A lot. Sucks to be me I guess.
Same opinion here. I understand the complaints about the new Star Trek films being unfaithful from the source material, but as a non-Star Trek fan I thought they were incredibly fun to watch. I actually think that he would make a great fit with Star Wars, considering his approach in the films (except the alleged unfaithfulness to canon.
I thought the second film had a lot of potential. I liked concept of the villian's story arc, and I liked the movie until the villian showed up. The concept Spock and Uhura's relationship sounded like it would have made for a great subplot.

Spock was far too emotional in this film. Vulcan emotions are supposed to be so subtle that they appear to have no emotions. A single tear from Nimoy's Spock is much more powerful than Quinto's entire crying scene.

I think that was my biggest complaint about this second film, it lacks subtlety.

JellyBabe02

May 16, 2013
I quite liked both the Star Trek movies Abrams made - apart from the rather casual misogyny here and there.

But please, Mr Abrams, stay away from Portal and Half-Life. Please. Pretty Please.

It's not just you, I don't want ANYONE making a Portal or Half-Life film. Just please stay away from them and find someone to make a decent Star Trek game (maybe not Valve, but maybe a developer who'll focus slightly less on action).

franticfarken

Mar 25, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
If JJ Abrams makes a Valve movie, any Valve movie, I will personally drive to Washington (through the Atlantic because bollocks to physics), find Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington, strap them to a forklift and feed them into the burners of a power station, I will make them both into Steam!

In the mean time, Neil Blomkamp, David Fincher, hell, even John Favreau are names I'd like to see attached to a Valve base movie, anyone but J Mystery box J is always empty Abrams.
Those three directors are theoretically JUST as risky, in terms of the most recent works. Elysium and Iron Man 2 were just humorous in that "Bad movie" kind of way.

David Fincher would be interesting on the other hand......

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Why was it a disappointment? The game was the same quality as the movie.

Gaben please don't let this asshole anywhere near Portal or Half Life...
Dunno man. As a director he is the most qualified. Loves explosions, guns, and duritos just as much as Gordon Freeman.
He could have all the Alt fire modes for the weapons have explosions, do the 7 hr war justice, and even time the movie with Half life 3 game as a xbox one exclusive.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
AldUK said:
Hey let's all insult JJ Abrams some more because Movie Bob told us he sucks!

That's what's cool on The Escapist right?

Not independent thought, oh no... Can't have that.
No, that's not quite how it works. The first Star Trek rendition of his was a pretty low blow in my books, dumbed down beyond redemption already and over-the-top action scenes that turned the Star Trek franchise into some Bruckheimer one-size-fits all crash! BOOM! BANG! romp.

I for my part refused to give up on things and went to see Into Darkness, and it's just the lamest piece of trite shite anyone could dare to do with the material. Complete waste of Star Trek, complete waste of Cumberbatch, complete waste of any and all resources. It's the word of mouth from people that have seen the movie that kept other people from paying for that crap, and I can assure you that J. J. Abrams is or will become toxic if he doesn't slow down and think things over.

I don't agree with everything Mobiebob says, but his judgement on Into Darkness was pure Jesus Gandhi compared to how I feel about it.

I don't judge movies based on the quality of their licensed games, as those being any good is purely accidental these days.