Star Wars: Battlefront Won't Have Classes

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
arc1991 said:
Shiftygiant said:
I remember being so happy when the project was reborn, even when I found out it was an EA product. Then the Space Battles (one of the things in 2 I loved but thought could be improved heavily in next gen) were cut, Galactic Conquest (what me and my brother would play religiously) was cut, they promise on rail AT-AT's (oh what's the point of using them then?), and now they're cutting the class system for customization?

Part of the fun was building enough to get the higher tiers, I don't want customized load outs, on rail AT-AT's or planet only combat, I already have games for those, I want Battlefront, a game where I can play out my weird fantasy of being space Napoleon.

I have never seen a game from so anticipated to so dreaded.
The at at on the rail is a game mode. All vehicles can be piloted in standard games.

People need to do some reading me thinks.
I didn't say 'no vehicles boo' I just said 'on rail at at boo'. They'd really be dumb to remove any vehicles, and that's the one line I don't see them crossing. That said, admittedly I forgot about the game mode aspect to the At-At (I assume they can therefore be played in standard) but if that's the case, then whats the point of having an on rail shooting gallery when you can pilot the damn thing? When I get one I want to feel like Hannibal crossing the alps on war elephants, not ride shotgun.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
vallorn said:
... I... Dice... I... How did you manage to screw up this badly already? I'm flabbergasted and somewhat impressed at just how quickly my inbuilt hype for more Battlefront has been crushed by the realization that this is a mangled corpse with bits of Battlefield sewn onto it and rubber stamped with "IT'S BATTLEFRONT YOU GUYS HONEST!" repeatedly.

Seriously it's like they took every little thing I liked about Battlefront, threw it out the window and just decided to build... this... this abomination.
For what it's worth your not the only one feeling this way, EA has lost it completely and have no idea how to make fun games anymore. How can they fuck up something so simple.....

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Star wars battlefront won't have The Clone wars.
Star wars battlefront won't have more than eight planets.
Star wars battlefront won't have space battles.
Star wars battlefront won't have free driving ATATs.
Star wars battlefront won't have classes.

....Star wars battlefront won't have players.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Goodnight, sweet prince. I shall play Battlefront 2 in your memory, and weep for what might have been.

...Seriously, are they trying to piss off everyone that used to play Battlefront at this point?

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
THE HYPE TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES because they've been removed along with the engine, the conductor, the wheels and the boxcar, each of which will be reinstalled at an inflated price at a later date. Seriously, this constant stream of stuff it won't have is the most excitement dampening thing I've seen for years.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
The more I read about this game the more it seems to just be a Battlefield game with a Star Wars skin. Being as I'm not a big fan of Battlefield, I'm thinking it means I'm going to have to skip it.
I've had enough of this. None of these people have ever played a Battlefield game and yet they're all moaning about it as if they actually know what they're talking about. I'm sorry guys but in what way exactly was Battlefront ever not a Battlefield clone:

-Large open maps with drivable air and ground vehicles ✔
-Multiple classes with unique weapons and tool sets ✔
-Multiple map spawn points which are fought over tug-of-war style ✔
-Limited respawns with draining effect on team with least control points ✔

It doesn't matter how many pairs of rose-tinted glasses you have on the only differences were tonal. The core gameplay was identical. And now that DICE have released information on how the new Battlefront will differentiate itself from Battlefield and how it is now objectively less similar to Battlefield games old and new, people are still jumping on the hate bandwagon.

Hey, the lack of space battles and the lack of variety that having no classes may well bring, etc. are things actually worth criticising, not its similarity to Battlefield.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Call of duty: advanced star wars here we come! :D

You know if I wanted to play cod, I'd buy cod, thanks.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I think that it is time that EA started to announce what the game will have, instead of what the game wont have.

As for the lack of classes, im not too fussed. Battlefront's classes were never anything special anyway, at least until you got to the more special classes like the Dark Trooper or the Droideka, but other than that, it was little more than "guy with rifle" or "guy with rocket launcher".

Mar 26, 2008
I hope this doesn't mean that they won't have the Dark Trooper. I went him all the time as he suited my style of play, as you could sow the seeds of chaos into a group. Jump in, fire a few shots into people and jump out.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Alexander Kirby said:
Sheo_Dagana said:
The more I read about this game the more it seems to just be a Battlefield game with a Star Wars skin. Being as I'm not a big fan of Battlefield, I'm thinking it means I'm going to have to skip it.
I've had enough of this. None of these people have ever played a Battlefield game and yet they're all moaning about it as if they actually know what they're talking about. I'm sorry guys but in what way exactly was Battlefront ever not a Battlefield clone:

-Large open maps with drivable air and ground vehicles ✔
-Multiple classes with unique weapons and tool sets ✔
-Multiple map spawn points which are fought over tug-of-war style ✔
-Limited respawns with draining effect on team with least control points ✔

It doesn't matter how many pairs of rose-tinted glasses you have on the only differences were tonal. The core gameplay was identical. And now that DICE have released information on how the new Battlefront will differentiate itself from Battlefield and how it is now objectively less similar to Battlefield games old and new, people are still jumping on the hate bandwagon.

Hey, the lack of space battles and the lack of variety that having no classes may well bring, etc. are things actually worth criticising, not its similarity to Battlefield.

As someone who owns several Battlefield titles I do happen to know what both are like and Battlefront's gameplay was in no way similar to Battlefield's when you actually played it. Your argument is somewhat nonsensical, in fact. Its easy to pick out things that make a game look exactly the same as another.

Example:
- Third-person hack and slash type gameplay.
- Combo attacks that improve as you get experience.
- Hordes of enemies to carve your way through.
- Unusual weapon types.

Quick, am I talking about God of War or Dynasty Warriors? The two of them play very different to each other despite superficially having a number of gameplay elements in common.

You can share gameplay elements whilst having a totally different game.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Lightspeaker said:
Alexander Kirby said:

As someone who owns several Battlefield titles I do happen to know what both are like and Battlefront's gameplay was in no way similar to Battlefield's when you actually played it. Your argument is somewhat nonsensical, in fact. Its easy to pick out things that make a game look exactly the same as another.

Example:
- Third-person hack and slash type gameplay.
- Combo attacks that improve as you get experience.
- Hordes of enemies to carve your way through.
- Unusual weapon types.

Quick, am I talking about God of War or Dynasty Warriors? The two of them play very different to each other despite superficially having a number of gameplay elements in common.

You can share gameplay elements whilst having a totally different game.
Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Either way, classes were and are an integral part of Battlefield's gameplay, the choice not to include them in the new Battlefront actually pulls it further away from Battlefield, not closer. People saying it's just becoming Battlefield irk me because, as opinions go, that one is pretty measurably incorrect.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
First of all, Battlefront was Battlefield in Star Wars -universe. That's what I thought back then too and I liked both games.

Secondly, I like not having classes. Crysis's Power Struggle (which had big maps, vehicles and control points*) didn't have classes and it worked great (well, the mode had some serious flaws, but they weren't related to the class-system).

Only thing I'd want is that the unlocking-system would be limited to the matches (like in Counter-Strike and Crysis). In other words, no "play x amount of hours just to be able to have a chance against people who bought the game a month earlier". Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the trend these days.

* Also, nuclear weapons. Like, handheld nuclear grenade launchers. Can't forget those. But I guess that's neither here nor there.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Every time I hear about somebody being disappointed about where this game is heading, I wonder what they actually expected from EA and Dice. So far they're living up to the expectations they've set over the last decade. I must say though, all this talk of Battlefront really has made me feel like reinstalling Battlefront 2. I mean, it's already the superior game anyway. The same thing happened when Sim City was released, I just got the urge to play the superior previous installation in the series.

Next up on surprising news that anybody could have predicted: "Everybody is upset about newly announced changes to the Mirror's Edge sequel, because they expected something reasonable from EA!"