Star Wars' "Black Stormtrooper" to Critics: "Get Used to it"

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
medv4380 said:
He can't be a real storm trooper because they're all clones. It's why Leia knew Luke wasn't a storm trooper based off only his height. If you want to keep infiltration down to a minimum a clone army does wonders.
That was just a crack at his height, she was insulting him because she didn't know she was being rescued.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
templar1138a said:
And my faith in humanity drops another point.

Morons, the Empire was Nazi against NON-HUMANS (and females). They didn't care what color skin the humans had. Those "critics" are just using this as an excuse to be racist and pretend to not be. It's pathetic.
Don't let it, this is fringe stuff.
Even /pol/ is not dumb enough to care (I assume).
It's a waste of your time to care about this sort of thing, it seems more like people hamming up some 12 year old "troll" with half a mouth and a want to offend.

William Ossiss said:
Wait.. Were people angry about this? The only thing I thought about it was "Wow, what is he waking up from and what's wrong with him?"
This is the day and age where stuff like this shouldn't matter.... and yet here we go again.

I, for one, am excited about the entire thing. As a person who liked the prequels more than the original trilogy (just for the saber fighting), I can think of a billion different ways that a cross guard would be useful.
I'd point you to the above, I think it's more of a vocal collection of arse.

Yeah a set of Quillions is sort of useful, I just wonder why they are going for a more Normand design when the lightsaber is more of a Japanese inspired weapon.
or when this is may be more effective

It could mean we could get some more interesting weapons, I love to see a lightsaber zweihander, it'd be so bloody stupid in it's design.
Also we could have a certain someone join in

Come on it's starwars the quest for more money, a good laugh is needed.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
jabrwock said:
medv4380 said:
He can't be a real storm trooper because they're all clones. It's why Leia knew Luke wasn't a storm trooper based off only his height. If you want to keep infiltration down to a minimum a clone army does wonders.
If you watch Ep IV/V/VI, you see stormtroopers are of different heights, indicating they are likely not clones. See this picture from ANH: http://deadliestfiction.wikia.com/wiki/File:StormtrooperCorps_anh1080p.jpg
Simply a byproduct of not being able to hire Octomom in the 70's. The solution was for them to always be in uniform, and have the voice masked to sound as identical as possible, but not so identical the audience can't tell them apart. You could probably cite canon the says otherwise, but since they're only accepting the movies that leaves a bit of a gap for citing it.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I think being black would add some "cool" to the main character. I think it's awesome. There's nothing that says the empire can't adapt. If the storm troopers can't aim for shit and getting closer to their targets might help, make them black so they can run faster? (ok I'm sorry XD)

I mean, after 2 of your death stars get blown up, maybe rethink some things, yeah? I see no problem. Bring on the new movie!

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I'm just amazed his skin colour is an issue at all. I thought we had moved past things this remarkably petty.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Denamic said:
I'm just amazed his skin colour is an issue at all. I thought we had moved past things this remarkably petty.
You're kidding, right?

Nowadays, they try to make an issue of anything.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
It's not his race that I don't like about his character, it's the fact that what we've seen of him hasn't shown him to be even close to a protagonist. Imagine if the first image of Luke Skywalker or Indiana Jones was them popping up like a whack-a-mole making a face like they just shit themselves, it would be laughable.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
His skin colour is just an unfortunate added point of recognition which makes me think of Spaceballs before Star Wars ... not really anything I have control over.

If he wasn't so animated in that shot and more of the unemotional filler we knew from the Star Wars movies it would help. Work up to presenting them as actual characters, don't start the opening shot with it.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Critics of Boyega base their argument on the fact that the Empire is meant to be an analogy for Hitler, the Nazis, and the "Master Race," and thus having a black actor portray a Stormtrooper undermines that analogy.
Except that that Empire wasn't racist, they were speciesist. Human = Master Race, regardless of skin color.

Really though, does it matter? The old EU also made them sexist against women and willing to engage in wholesale slaughter of everything on a planet in order to "liberate" it. They left the analogy behind and veered into cartoon villain territory a long time ago.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
medv4380 said:
jabrwock said:
medv4380 said:
If you watch Ep IV/V/VI, you see stormtroopers are of different heights, indicating they are likely not clones. See this picture from ANH: http://deadliestfiction.wikia.com/wiki/File:StormtrooperCorps_anh1080p.jpg
Simply a byproduct of not being able to hire Octomom in the 70's. The solution was for them to always be in uniform, and have the voice masked to sound as identical as possible, but not so identical the audience can't tell them apart. You could probably cite canon the says otherwise, but since they're only accepting the movies that leaves a bit of a gap for citing it.
The troopers were all of different heights, but also had different voices, that didn't change until Lucas did the later special edditions to make the voices change.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I mean unless they're continually producing more clones to serve as Stormtroopers wouldn't the Empire need to start recruiting as the existing clones were killed in battle or police actions? My knowledge of the extended universe is non-existent so I could be missing something. But it makes sense to me that the Empire would shut down clone production after winning the war and subsist off of the existing supply while recruiting from the systems under its control when necessary.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
MHR said:
I think being black would add some "cool" to the main character. I think it's awesome. There's nothing that says the empire can't adapt. If the storm troopers can't aim for shit and getting closer to their targets might help, make them black so they can run faster? (ok I'm sorry XD)

I mean, after 2 of your death stars get blown up, maybe rethink some things, yeah? I see no problem. Bring on the new movie!
I'm more insulted by the crack at Stormtroopers shooting when they've kicked ass in every battle they were ever shown in in the original trilogy.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
elvor0 said:
LazyAza said:
This is edris alba playing hymdall all over again. These "critics" are just closet racists spouting the usual bullshit. Fuck em all.
That wasn't racism. Elba playing Heimdall was changes to an established character, as well as one that is described as "whitest of the gods". I'd be equally annoyed had they picked a white guy to play Blade. I wasn't particuarly happy with them changing Bane in Dark Knight Rises to be "british" either, he's supposed to be carribian/Spanish. I like Elba as an actor, I just don't think it was necessary to change Heimdalls racial appearance.

I wouldn't even say this was racism, just misconception. Given a lot of people are under the impression that all the Storm Troopers are still clones of Jango Fett, saying "wtf Black Storm Trooper?" makes sense. That's not racism, that's questioning something you have been told and believe to be true.

Of course they're not all clones of Fett anymore as the Empire was recruiting Stormtroopers in the oiginal trilogy and I'm pretty sure they didn't retcon that out. And at this point, most of them are dead anyway.

However, I've yet to see any questioning of a black stormtrooper, save one person, who did it on the basis that they thought all Stormtroopers were still Fett clones.Personally I thought it was pretty obvious he was in disguise in the trailer, or he'd just signed up to fight for the Empire and was freaking out. The only discussion I've seen is that stupid Lightsaber.
Films are adaptations of other material, everything including the actors who are chosen to play each character can be changed and modified to however the film makers wish. The thor movies are 99% white man power fantasy to the extreme. 1 single obscure character not being played by a white guy is NOT something anyone should give a fuck about, especially given Alba does an utterly amazing job as the character.

Regarding the stormtrooper thing, not racism? have you READ the comments on youtube? the ones that say the empire are suppose to be like the nazis, the ones that are literally saying "no n***** stormstroopers please" ? yeah. I'm pretty sure that's racism dood.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Who has actually criticised the trailer for having a black stormtrooper? Citation desperately needed.
I was kind of wondering about that? I hate to say it, but the article reeks of clickbaity trying to drum up false controversy. "Omg it is so controversial! There might be a black Stormtrooper! People are up in arms!" Whereas if you actually read anyplace on the Internet the only controversy surrounding Boyega is whether or not he is a Stormtrooper or is in disguise ala Han and Luke? Race swapping existing characters in order to be edgy and politically correct rubs people the wrong way. Giving us a new cool character interests us. Actual skin color is irrelevant. I don't think you will find anyone on the Internet outside of Maybe Stormfront who cares that a Stormtrooper might be black. Heck Mel Brooks gave them to us 25 years ago. It's actually kind of refreshing that this is the first black male Star Wars character that does not appear to be in any way dressed as a purple suited 70's pimp in a disco or a member of the Village People.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
cleric of the order said:
Yeah a set of Quillions is sort of useful, I just wonder why they are going for a more Normand design when the lightsaber is more of a Japanese inspired weapon.
or when this is may be more effective

It could mean we could get some more interesting weapons, I love to see a lightsaber zweihander, it'd be so bloody stupid in it's design.
Also we could have a certain someone join in
The original Lightsaber designs were obviously very Kendo inspired. But they have added some flair and differentiation with individual characters since. Count Dooku's Lightsaber in particular was a fencing blade and hilt, reflecting Christopher Lee's skill as a fencer. Darth Maul obviously pulled from a different weapon tradition. As did Ashoka Tano and Ventriss in the Clone Wars.

Let's be honest Lightsabers are inherently stupid weapons. Cool but stupid. They are just a means for visual story telling. Once you accept that they exist, the specifics are simply window dressing and allegory. The European style hilted long bladed Lightsaber probably tells us more about the weilder than the technical aspects of how it is used. It implies they are playing up the character as a Knight or a Crusader of some sort. Someone questing for some holy grail perhaps?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
TippiestRook said:
Has John Boyega changed his name to black stormtrooper considering that title?
Maybe JJ is using Bungie's naming strategy.

" 'Black Stormtrooper' must bravely fight through an uprising of a new faction, known only as 'The Enemy'. He will be aided by his sidekick 'IR-A Droid' and help young 'Jedi Hero' discover his newfound powers, defeating the new Sith Lord 'Bad Villain'.
Will Black Stormtrooper Survive? What will happen in Star Wars Episode 8 - The Eighth Movie? Find out next Year!"

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I'm really confused by all the people saying that the Stormtroopers are all clones of Jango Fett. Clone Troopers were the clones. It's even in the name.

The very first Stormtroopers were Clone Troopers (The 501st specifically), but after that, the Clone Troopers were all decommissioned and now it's 50/50 between normal humans and clones. And not Jango Fett clones. Just clones of other Stormtroopers.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Pretty sure it's canon that the Empire stopped using clones between episodes 3 and 4 and started going with straight-up conscription to fill out the ranks of Storm Troopers. So yeah, all these critics saying it goes against canon - assuming that this guy is a Storm Trooper and not just disguised as one - are wrong anyways. Beyond that, just because the Empire was supposed to stand for Hitler and the Nazis in the original movies - if you interpret it as such - doesn't mean that it will always be symbolic of that. Especially considering the fact that the Hitler figure is now dead and gone.