Star Wars' "Black Stormtrooper" to Critics: "Get Used to it"

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
They're actually using this as promotion/clickbait? pathetic! Are there any actual haters or did they just assume people would react negatively to a black storm trooper? If this actor is just trolling, treat like a troll:ignore.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
So why the fuck do people assume most nerds have an issue with a black storm trooper because "b-but, muh racism"? I haven't seen anything like that so far, apart from a few comments about "so how did a clone become black all of a sudden". But let's be honest: it's all projection and straw manning going on here. I mean, most of them were fucking psyched by Mace Fucking Windu.

Furthermore: it's a very decent distraction technique to divert attention from the fact that THE TRAILER SUCKS AND JJ ABRAHAMS WILL DESTROY ANOTHER PART OF YOUR CHILDHOOD.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Forgive me if this seems obvious but the Empire doesn't actually exist anymore after Return of the Jedi right? So why are people arguing over whether or not there would be black guys in the Imperial army?

This comes close to the most ridiculous thing I've seen all year. Only gamergate was sillier.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I find it difficult to believe that race is being brought forward as an issue when one of the most powerful Jedi (if not THE most powerful before the purge since he was the one that beat Palpatine) was black.

At the beginning I was a bit confused as to why there was not a clone under that helmet but since there are a lot of fans out there, I got informed about the 501st, Hoth and what happened after episode III so it all makes sense since the clone army was decomissioned between episodes.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Nimcha said:
Forgive me if this seems obvious but the Empire doesn't actually exist anymore after Return of the Jedi right? So why are people arguing over whether or not there would be black guys in the Imperial army?

This comes close to the most ridiculous thing I've seen all year. Only gamergate was sillier.
The Empire still exists, the Emperor doesn't. Remember it was his title not his name. A new Emperor could very easily have been chosen. People forget that the Empire was the legitimate government chosen by the people. They just happened to be very stupid and gullible people.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
katsabas said:
I find it difficult to believe that race is being brought forward as an issue when one of the most powerful Jedi (if not THE most powerful before the purge since he was the one that beat Palpatine) was black.
Probably not the most powerful, though he was the best swordsman.

BigTuk said:
Heck I partially doubt that there are really any vocal critics and that disney is just trumping up the issue to get free media buzz.

I mean to most fans the stormtroopers were never important They were just Mooks .
And yet, you get people in this very thread making arguments about this.

Nimcha said:
I don't know. I'm no fan of gamergate, but think sabergate may be worse.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Alleged_Alec said:
So why the fuck do people assume most nerds have an issue with a black storm trooper because "b-but, muh racism"? I haven't seen anything like that so far, apart from a few comments about "so how did a clone become black all of a sudden". But let's be honest: it's all projection and straw manning going on here. I mean, most of them were fucking psyched by Mace Fucking Windu.

Furthermore: it's a very decent distraction technique to divert attention from the fact that THE TRAILER SUCKS AND JJ ABRAHAMS WILL DESTROY ANOTHER PART OF YOUR CHILDHOOD.
I wish you were right, but there's been hate flying all over the place directed soely at his race and flat out defamatory language used. Black Stormtroopers make sense and have always been something that canon allowed, even after Disney removed the EU there was still room for Black Stormtroopers and they've even shown some before.

So the people decrying him being one now are either uninformed about Starwars canon, or choosing to ignore it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dogstile said:
norwegian goose said:
The same reason why in that stupid Captain America movie there was a racially divergent squad during WW2 out of nowhere.
Hahaha what the fuck. Google "black american ww2 soldier".
He's making fun of this

Not this

wswordsmen

Mar 27, 2009
Dogstile said:
norwegian goose said:
The same reason why in that stupid Captain America movie there was a racially divergent squad during WW2 out of nowhere.
The problem wasn't that there was a black soldier. Blacks served in the US military, mostly in non-combat roles but many notable exceptions exist, with distinction. They were only in all black units though, the smallest mixed unit seems to be at the regiment level (having both black and white battalions). The army was integrated in 1948, so it is reasonable to go "WTF black guy" when there is a black guy in a predominately white squad.

On topic: It doesn't undermine the Nazi analogy (which was never very strong anyway) because humans = Aryans in it, and while they might all be clones now there defiantly are different humans used as templates, look in episode 6 when either Darth Vader or Emperor Palpitine arrive at the Death Star and look at the different heights.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Itchi_da_killa said:
Holding on to the original analogies is a waste of time. Lucas screwed up most of his work with episodes 1-3. Everything is currently up in the air now that Disney has it. Disney doesn't really make great movies, and with Abrams; I have no hope.
What are you talking about? Abrams makes great star wars movie? Didn't you see Into Darkness? That was the best Star Wars movie I've seen in a long time.

On the note of analogies, just my two cents; the analogies for nazi's and hitler have already been made. The original trilogy did that. It's been done. Clinging to it out of nostalgia and misplaced value isn't really good for story-telling. Good on Abrams for having the balls to make a change or two assuming he has other thematic elements in place to fill the void.

I'm not saying retelling the story of Nazi's and Hitler is bad by the by, I'm just say... as story-telling tropes go I don't think anyone here can realistically say that it has not been done absolutely to death...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
wswordsmen said:
Dogstile said:
norwegian goose said:
The problem wasn't that there was a black soldier. Blacks served in the US military, mostly in non-combat roles but many notable exceptions exist, with distinction. They were only in all black units though, the smallest mixed unit seems to be at the regiment level (having both black and white battalions). The army was integrated in 1948, so it is reasonable to go "WTF black guy" when there is a black guy in a predominately white squad.
He is also a character from the Marvel Universe, called Gabe Jones (created in the 60s, by the way).
The idea was that those men were racially diverse because they were hand picked by Nick Fury himself (the original). If anything, Jones is a lot less out of place than Jim Morita, given the way Japanese Americans were treated during WW 2.
Anachronistic? Yes. Out of nowhere? Hell no...

OT: I am not surprised by the reaction of the Internet on the character. It is a galaxy far away, but some things never change.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
You can expect the action to move at a frenetic pace to cover up any plot holes and elbows to rib about how cool a similar scene was in the former trilogies. Also I expect stupid amounts of lens flare.

Kardsymalone

Oct 6, 2014
You know a black stormtroopers may buttfuck the canon and the message or whatever but it all honesty it already such a mess I'm not sure if the Star Wars universe has a butt to fuck in the first place.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
hermes200 said:
If anything, Jones is a lot less out of place than Jim Morita, given the way Japanese Americans were treated during WW 2.
Fury seemed to have a habit of recruiting members from nationalities of "the enemy". Jim Morita (Japanese-American), Dino Manelli (Italian-American), Hans Klaus (German-American). It fit with the idea of "the resistance". The idea that it was the governments that were evil, not the people.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I had just assumed that since the creation of the storm trooper armies, with the deaths of individual clones in combat, other citizens of the empire were cheaper and faster to conscript than making more clones, especially with the expansion of the forces to a broader reach of the empire.

I really don't get what the fuss is about.

I could see more of a problem with Heimdall being black, from the Thor movies, but only if you try to hold the Marvel Universe to the traditional racial/cultural impetus inherent in the Nordic Mythology. And I can't do that, in light of all of the other adaptations and tweaks and outright fabrications. And that's fine- it's kinda cool that Marvel diverged form the lore. Made it their own.

wswordsmen

Mar 27, 2009
hermes200 said:
He is also a character from the Marvel Universe, called Gabe Jones (created in the 60s, by the way).
The idea was that those men were racially diverse because they were hand picked by Nick Fury himself (the original). If anything, Jones is a lot less out of place than Jim Morita, given the way Japanese Americans were treated during WW 2.

OT: I am not surprised by the reaction of the Internet on the character. It is a galaxy far away, but some things never change.
Never noticed him, so "WTF Asian guy". My statements stand just as much. Also you assume everyone knows the Marvel Universe well enough to know that. If you can't tell I didn't.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
What is this, 1964? Why is this even an issue?

For nit-pickers: the prequels (damn their eyes) are still canon here, so we can start by running with the established prequel canon.

And that means the clone troopers (the main body from with the storm trooper corps was formed) are cloned from someone who is in no way, shape or form white.

Seriously though, I'd have thought this question was answered 50 years ago. Jesus...