Starcraft 2 Great Game bad Players.

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
TerranReaper said:
Macheteswordgun said:
Right 100% here the protoss for sure if i ever got into a long game with protoss its was over. But you always get zerg rush assholes who by the time i have 4 zelots have 100 zerglings in my base. or something like that. Terran are the middle ground kind of
Depends how long it takes you get those 4 zealots out. The best strategy nowadays against zerg players is to typically build a pylon and the gateway at the chokepoint, so you create a narrow pathway that a single zealot can fit, and you just position that zealot on that chokepoint, set him to "Hold Position" and he should be able to hold long enough for you to get more zealots to counter.
Yeah ive done that its like 1 can take out i beleive 6-8 1v1 but of course some people wise up to this and send in hydra as backup but u got dragoon backup to so many diff ways it beats chess by miles lol

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Cyketor said:
Well see it happens on every game, and most of all that I hate is when terran use the jet pack unit and fly's in behind you, destroys all your mining units and then leaves just to stunt your level growth, its a mess, just saying, when you wait 6 years for a game then its filled with douches then it kinda leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth.
Of course I forgot the definition of douche in the RTS world meant someone who uses units for exactly what they were designed to do. A single Stalker/Marine/Hydra stops that from happening.

Great North

Feb 3, 2010
I'd say a person who plays to win is not a moron, or a douchebag. They have a different motivation to play the game than you, so what? They are playing to win becuase they find it fun, not to be an asshole and prove they are better than you (at least some of the time). Even a player who plays to win and loses can enjoy it, they are playing for the CHALLENGE.

Honestly, calling people douches for rushing to win the game is pretty childish in my opinion.

Grubnar

Aug 25, 2008
fanklok said:
Cyketor said:
Well see it happens on every game, and most of all that I hate is when terran use the jet pack unit and fly's in behind you, destroys all your mining units and then leaves just to stunt your level growth, its a mess, just saying, when you wait 6 years for a game then its filled with douches then it kinda leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth.
Of course I forgot the definition of douche in the RTS world meant someone who uses units for exactly what they were designed to do. A single Stalker/Marine/Hydra stops that from happening.
I think the point is that it SHOULD NOT BE IN THE GAME!

When it says "Real-time strategy" on the box I expect to do some strategy, in real-time.
Now, StarCraft 2 may be real-time as opposed to turn based but dirt-farming is NOT a strategy!

The units in this game COULD make a decent strategy game, at least some of them. But there is SO MUCH missing from this game that is taken for granted in modern strategy games. Like flanking and terrain effect just to name two.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Thats why I like RTSs where rushing=death, like Company of Heroes, every someone rushes the enemy early on they are cut down by a machine gun. You have to wait to get armor, that or use support very well.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Grubnar said:
fanklok said:
Cyketor said:

When it says "Real-time strategy" on the box I expect to do some strategy, in real-time.
Now, StarCraft 2 may be real-time as opposed to turn based but dirt-farming is NOT a strategy!

The units in this game COULD make a decent strategy game, at least some of them. But there is SO MUCH missing from this game that is taken for granted in modern strategy games. Like flanking and terrain effect just to name two.
So because there's a unit in the game who's sole purpose is quick hit and run tactics and eventually demolition, that you don't like, it's a bad unit? Destroying necessary materials or the means to gather them is a viable strategy, it was in the first Starcraft. That Zerg massing too many forces to quickly? storm his miners, Toss going carriers? drop a tank on his minerals, Terrans getting ready for a push? sink a couple lurkers back there. All 3 races have the ability to do this, Reapers as you know jump up ridges, Stalkers can blink, and Roaches can move while burrowed, all of those units can be gotten in roughly the same amount of time as each other. The difference being Reapers aren't very tough units, you build a couple for early game harassment and then they become obsolete. There are plenty of effective counters that won't cripple you in the long haul, you're just being bitchy because now there's some kind of strange new early game strategy you weren't ready for.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
this happens in almost every rts i know of

with the exception of company of heroes.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Don't get me wrong, but I think you're whining a bit too much...

ANY online game is rough at start. There will always be people who played longer than you, who play more than you or who are simply better at it than you. Expecting to just jump in and have it your way is childish.

While I am playing SC2, I've not started on the multiplayer yet, and I don't plan to until I've done most everything else, precisely because I don't want to get pulverized into fine paste 2 minutes into my first game. However, it'll still likely happen, I'll get over it, figure out why I lost and try to avoid that particular pitfall next time I play.

I started playing League of Legends about 2 months ago. You know how I did for the first two weeks? Abysmal. Terrible. I could barely come to grips with the game. After that, I started getting better and better, and it's still going, with my game improving week after week. I'm making fewer mistakes, I have better build orders and an overall improved understanding of the game. And it shows on my Win/Lose ratio.

As for your SC2 problem, there are basically two solutions:

1. Play arranged matches with your friends or people who can agree on some ground rules (like no rush and such). That way, you can play by your own rules and have fun your own way.

2. Learn to play better. If you get wiped by the same strategy over and over again, figure out a counter. Watch some replays and see how other more experienced players avoid getting rushed or destroyed early on.

Basically, less QQ, more Pew Pew! ;)

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Play with some friends. Works much better and your position on the leader board actually feels like it means something.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Most people online like to rush games and win in about 5 minutes. I tend to turtle up, so I suppose I'd be a good opponent for you.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
wrecker77 said:
Welcome to starcraft.
This.

I don't play online unless I know my opponent, there's just no point to it with an RTS. People play this shit professionally.

Besides, no Blizzard game has ever had a problem with their online communities, right? There were no cheaters in Diablo 2, no griefers in WOW, and no elitists in Starcraft.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
somelameshite said:
Most people online like to rush games and win in about 5 minutes. I tend to turtle up, so I suppose I'd be a good opponent for you.
I do the same thing, I build a massive defense, wait for the enemy to attack me with everything they have, then counter attack right after.

StANDY1338

Sep 25, 2006
Thats why comp stomp is best. Playing tiberian sun with 5 against a super mega computer that was one of the best games I have ever had. When the computer decides your dieing your dieing unless you get an orca with your mcv out of there.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
I love 4v4's. No better place to try the most wacky strategies, since noone takes em seriously anyway. Full Raven rush..floating your CC over to the nearest enemy and turning it into a Planetary Fortress..200/200 infestors and then spam infested terrans...awesome.

Grubnar

Aug 25, 2008
fanklok said:
Grubnar said:
fanklok said:
Cyketor said:

So because there's a unit in the game who's sole purpose is quick hit and run tactics and eventually demolition, that you don't like, it's a bad unit? Destroying necessary materials or the means to gather them is a viable strategy, it was in the first Starcraft. That Zerg massing too many forces to quickly? storm his miners, Toss going carriers? drop a tank on his minerals, Terrans getting ready for a push? sink a couple lurkers back there. All 3 races have the ability to do this, Reapers as you know jump up ridges, Stalkers can blink, and Roaches can move while burrowed, all of those units can be gotten in roughly the same amount of time as each other. The difference being Reapers aren't very tough units, you build a couple for early game harassment and then they become obsolete. There are plenty of effective counters that won't cripple you in the long haul, you're just being bitchy because now there's some kind of strange new early game strategy you weren't ready for.
Oh ... kay! First of all, do not call people "bitchy" just becaue you do not agrea with them or understand what they are saying.

Second, you are totaly missing the point. I actually LIKE Reapers as a unit. They are a very strategic unit, a fast lightly armored recon/flanking unit. My problem is that there is no benefit to flanking in this game so they are not as useable as they could be.

And thirdly, there is nothing "new" or "strange" about base raiding. I have been playing RTS games on the PC for a decade and a half, the first Command & Conquer game had it back in '95.
But just because something is old does not make it good, in fact it is often the other way around. Maybe you should try out "World in Conflict" or "Company of Heroes" to better understand what I am trying to say here.

Have a nice day.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
Grubnar said:
fanklok said:
Grubnar said:
fanklok said:
Cyketor said:

Oh ... kay! First of all, do not call people "bitchy" just becaue you do not agrea with them or understand what they are saying.

Second, you are totaly missing the point. I actually LIKE Reapers as a unit. They are a very strategic unit, a fast lightly armored recon/flanking unit. My problem is that there is no benefit to flanking in this game so they are not as useable as they could be.

And thirdly, there is nothing "new" or "strange" about base raiding. I have been playing RTS games on the PC for a decade and a half, the first Command & Conquer game had it back in '95.
But just because something is old does not make it good, in fact it is often the other way around. Maybe you should try out "World in Conflict" or "Company of Heroes" to better understand what I am trying to say here.

Have a nice day.
The problem isn't that flanking is useless in that game (Ever pincered an advancing army?), it's along the lines that Reapers aren't worth the investment that you could be spending on other important things. In ANY game, you will have people that will find ways to win, even if they seem dirty ways to win. If it's bad enough, it would be considered an imbalance and be patched out.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I can't say that my multiplayer experience has been much better. Only took two matches before someone called me a "jew ******" and the only ways I have been able to actually win is by Zealot rushing, and that doesn't always work.

NSGrendel

Jul 1, 2010
I don't think I've had a game last less than half an hour. The last couple I played lasted an hour. And I really suck balls at Starcraft. It sounds like you could do with playing the single player "Challenges" as they teach you some of the necessary skills to get started in SC2.