Starfield - No Man's Bethesda

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The more I learn about this game the worse it gets.
You realise that basically none of these are meaningful complaints except one, and that one is just wrong?

The more I play Starfield, the more I think it's the victim of one of those weird, whiny internet crazes where a load of people have whipped themselves up a massive hate boner and decided to trash it for very little reason. It feels like some bratty, immature teens who've just decided to trash a classmate pretty much at random.

I think it has got a strong explorer / journey of discovery vibe about it (despite the amount of time you spend shooting things), and makes it work.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I need more credits so I can build my wickerman ship. Killed two terrormorphs but they'd left their wallets at home.

Reactions: BrawlMan

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Apparently there are Skyrim shouts in the game. How did it come to this? Does Bethesda have no creativity left that they had to make a game that's Fallout 4 and Skyrim reskinned? Except it has less features than both?

What happened to the cool gore explosions from using Vaat's or just getting good critical hits on enemies? Now you just get a red word that says you crit but it doesn't feel like you crit.

Remember stealing a guards armor and leaving them in nothing but their underwear? Can't do that in this game, wonder why that is?

The magic system is tied to temples that are random so you can't power up your favorite spells you just have to hunt down temples and pray you get what you want, that's cool.

There are only 10 weapon types in the game, and every weapon you find will just be a modified version of one of them. That's cool.

There is only one enemy type in the game, two if you count ships. That's cool.

There are no intelligent aliens in the galaxy. That's super creative for a space game. Nothing says SPACE more than fucking humans and only humans.

You can't kill "important" NPC's even if they are bad guys because the game will force a boss battle with them later. You can however knock them out as much as you want.

The more I learn about this game the worse it gets.
Starfield has its issues but you're just doing the whole "I JUST WANT TO BE ANGRY" thing.

Slinging powers alongside gunplay is hardly the newest concept. System Shock had Psi powers from way back then, which then developed into Plasmids and Vigors in Bioshock. Dishonored did magic shit. Wolfenstein 2009 which nobody remembers also had some magic amulet powers.

How dare Starfield have powers like Skyrim?! Then... how dare Starfield not have VATS like Fallout 4? I mean it technically does in the form of starship targeting but y'know, make up your mind.

Anyway I think why people do put up with Bethesda games despite all sorts of stagnation and shortcomings is that nobody else makes a Bethesda game.

Yes another game has better gunplay, but it's a linear shooter.

Yes there's other 'open world' games but they are Ubisoft style where they obnoxiously lock you into areas for missions and are essentially just a linear game cut up and scattered about the place.

Bethesda games are a buffet. It's going to be worse than all those restaurants out there but it is only here I can dump that defrosted salmon sashimi on my rubbery steak with a side of fried rice and ice cream. And there's a drink fountain.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Bethesda games are a buffet. It's going to be worse than all those restaurants out there but it is only here I can dump that defrosted salmon sashimi on my rubbery steak with a side of fried rice and ice cream. And there's a drink fountain.
Not to mention, anyone can have a go at cooking their own food if they want, and then share it with everyone else.
Despite all the jokes about modders fixing the game, which they do, they also make it hugely customisable beyond even the impressive scope of the base game, which I think is a large part of why everyone eats there in the first place and keeps coming back for more, again and again.

Reactions: Ag3ma

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm going to bunk off work to play today, and I haven't done that since the halcyon days of me and Karlach sititng in a tree K-I-L-L-I-N-G.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I need more credits so I can build my wickerman ship. Killed two terrormorphs but they'd left their wallets at home.
The game seems remarkably free with money. But then you take a look at how much it costs to seriously upgrade your spaceship...

I tried to do some upgrades and initially it seemed quite cheap, but when I hit the issues with having to stick a load of extra reactors, engines, etc. to cope with the weight, I thought I might wait a bit until I had some serious hundreds of thousands.

The other thing I want to ask is where the fuck is all the adhesive in this game? Has human civilisation given up on glue?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The other thing I want to ask is where the fuck is all the adhesive in this game? Has human civilisation given up on glue?
I got so fed up trying to do research/upgrades I just bought all the resources a vendor had then crawled to my ship. Which then needed the cargo expanded.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
If I consider one of the oddities about Starfield, it's that as far as I can see there is never much in-game reason to take your spacesuit and helmet off. So you're on an Earth equivalent world in a city full of people in normal clothes, running round fully kitted up for vacuum.

At least Bethesda had the sense to have some of the random, passer-by NPCs comment on it.
It would prevent you from catching weird alien diseases at least. It always bothered me in Star Trek how they'd take absolutely no precautions against that sort of thing and then always be amazed when some new bacteria or something causes an epidemic on their ship.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
20230915163706_1.jpg
Who's a leaf on the wind now, eh? (The game took pity on me here, as I landed this oblong on the next planet along in my test flight and some pirates immediately landed next to me, so I've got their ship instead now.)

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I got so fed up trying to do research/upgrades I just bought all the resources a vendor had then crawled to my ship. Which then needed the cargo expanded.
Yeah, I kind of feel that's just a better way to do it.

Except none of the fuckers sell enough adhesive. And no-one seems to leave any adhesive in their research labs or engineering workshops. It's enough to drive you to boiling down 1000 horses. (If they still exist - I'm guessing by the absence of cats and dogs they didn't make it.)

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Yeah, I kind of feel that's just a better way to do it.

Except none of the fuckers sell enough adhesive. And no-one seems to leave any adhesive in their research labs or engineering workshops. It's enough to drive you to boiling down 1000 horses. (If they still exist - I'm guessing by the absence of cats and dogs they didn't make it.)
Is there anything specific about horse/cow bones that make them particularly gluey? Cause usually there's a lot of dead people around, that's all I'm saying...

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Is there anything specific about horse/cow bones that make them particularly gluey? Cause usually there's a lot of dead people around, that's all I'm saying...
I think it was often the hooves that they most wanted for glue. Unfortunately, humans not so useful there. Connective tissue (ligaments & tendons) is good as well. Horses are pretty useful for that too, because they had plenty of that to link those big old muscles and bones. Us weedy humans, again, something of a disappointment on that score. Glue can also be made from bones and skin, but I think that tends to be of lesser quality.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
The other thing I want to ask is where the fuck is all the adhesive in this game? Has human civilization given up on glue?
That reminds me of how in Fallout 4 the thing you needed for nearly everything was adhesive, which in a post apocalyptic society it made sense it was in short supply... until you got enough produce from your settlers to make corn starch and so had all the adhesive you could ever want.

This kind of society though, there's no excuse.