Stargate: Atlantis Actor is the New Conan

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
But he's blick!

Enjoyed SG:A, though Ronin wasn't my favourite character they rarely gave him anything to do except look angry. He works a little too hard at the growly scary look for it ever to seem natural.

Also, do we need a re-make? I can just watch the original happily.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Why do they need an actor for a Conan film? Just shave a gorilla, give him a sword or two, kick him in the nuts and let him chop up a few dummies. It worked the first time.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
robrob said:
Susan Arendt said:
Dude is yummy with a spoon, but I'm not convinced he's charismatic enough to be Conan.
Arnie is charismatic?
Perhaps that's not the right word...magnetic? Dude commands the screen, is what I'm saying. Not sure the same is true of Mr. Momoa.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Susan Arendt said:
robrob said:
Susan Arendt said:
Dude is yummy with a spoon, but I'm not convinced he's charismatic enough to be Conan.
Arnie is charismatic?
Perhaps that's not the right word...magnetic? Dude commands the screen, is what I'm saying. Not sure the same is true of Mr. Momoa.
I like how you put that. Both actors as I know them just drip and ooze badassness, but Jason does it well from the back of the room, behind the main characters while Arnold does it in everyone's face. Personally, I like the quiet badass more because they don't need to shout "I'm a Badass" for you to know it, but I don't know if that is who Conan is as a character.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
As much as I liked the movies, I want to see a Conan closer to the novels. He was more than just a lumbering brute out for himself. And he certainly didn't become King Conan by being a dummy.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It'll be a while before filming starts, maybe Jason will take the time to add on a few extra kilos of muscle in that time. The original was an entertaining watch, but I have never found Arnie to be that good of an actor.

I hope the remake will be more faithful to the source material.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
MR T3D said:
Christopher Judge>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this guy.
I agree. I'd rather have Christopher Judge be Conan than Jason.

[small]Oh snap! A Stargate news post? Is the sky falling?[/small]
Took the words out of my mouth with the news post dude. Too bad he can't have that awesome blaster he had in the series for the movie.

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
Well, I doubt he will be as iconic as Arnie, and he will probably be critisized for that. But I'm pretty sure he can do a better job as an actor , since Arnie... *sigh, I'm gonna get flamed for that*.. is a horrible actor.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
ucciolord1 said:
MR T3D said:
ucciolord1 said:
I.
LOVE.
Ronon.
someone hasn't watched much of SG-1..
What are you talking about? I've watched almost every episode. Why wouldn't I like Ronon?
ronon is just a shadow of the awesomeness of teal'c, and that kindof cheapens him.
he tries to be badass, but the franchise had more than hit their 'badass warrior limit' long before his introduction.
but i guess you find him amusing, its just so hard for me to.
stuff like this made him much deeper than "grunt. last of race. grunt. dreadlocks. STUN revolvers"

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Jamash said:
Also, the Cimmerians are supposed to be descended from Atlanteans, albeit incredibly devolved.

Fictional History of Cimmeria said:
The origins of the Cimmerians stretch back to the Thurian Age. The Cimmerians are the descendants of colonists from Atlantis.
Wow. I think a bit of my brain just dribbled out of my ear. Jason Momoa has to be the new Conan now, just so I can refer back to this and say how awesome it is.

I wonder what Arnie thinks of Jason Momoa. Has anybody asked him?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Andronicus said:
Jamash said:
Also, the Cimmerians are supposed to be descended from Atlanteans, albeit incredibly devolved.

Fictional History of Cimmeria said:
The origins of the Cimmerians stretch back to the Thurian Age. The Cimmerians are the descendants of colonists from Atlantis.
Wow. I think a bit of my brain just dribbled out of my ear. Jason Momoa has to be the new Conan now, just so I can refer back to this and say how awesome it is.

I wonder what Arnie thinks of Jason Momoa. Has anybody asked him?
I would imagine that Arnie would have a lot of respect for Jason Momoa, since they both got their acting breaks because of their bodies, Arnie through body building and Jason through modelling.

If you ever get the opportunity to listen to the commentary on the Conan DVD, you can hear Arnie talk in a complementary manner about other stuntmen and actors in the film with impressive physiques and strength, so I think he'd have a similar opinion about Jason Momoa.

Of course you'd have to ask him, but overall I'm guessing that Arnie would be complementary about Jason's physique and physical prowess, in a professional way, as a fellow action star and ex Mr. Universe.

PieMaker

Oct 7, 2008
MR T3D said:
Christopher Judge>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this guy.
Following the mythology, Chris Judge couldn't be Cimmerian. I could totally see him playing a Stygian, like Thulsa Doom.

Oh wow, I just shivered with the thought of Ronon and Teal'c facing off again as Conan and Thulsa.

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
In the original stories, Conan is a barbarian, yet charismatic and a natural leader, eventually becoming King. I have my doubts this guy can pull that off but we shall see. At least I hope they'll make it more like the original stories... Arnold pulled off a nice barbarian but for the rest, not so much.