Stargate: Atlantis Actor is the New Conan

simmeh

Jan 25, 2009
Oh geez. I really don't know what to feel here.

I seriously want this apparent new Conan movie to be good; I didn't particularly like the first one, but it had potential.

However, in my humble opinion, Jason Momoa was one of the worst things about SG:A. He had all the charisma of a hairy tarantula and all the acting chops of a high schooler who has just discovered drama class.

Wait, what am I saying. He's a perfect fit. I'll be going now.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Seems like a good choice but why not do something else in the Conan mythos rather than remake the 80's classic

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I never wanted to see another Conan movie made, being an INSANE fanatic obsessed with the property... I own EVERY book, stacks of comics, figures.. and my trivia knowledge of Conan is probably UNPARALLELED in the world of Geekdom.

But..

I have to say, this somewhat changes my mind. Jason Momoa is perfectly awesome and fits the role to a T... I used to make alot of comparisons of Ronon to Conan and quite frankly, this is full of WIN all the way around..

Unless it's going to be directed by Ewe Boll.. as a straight to Sci Fi channel original movie.. by Sony Pictures.. on Legion's budget.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
MR T3D said:
ucciolord1 said:
MR T3D said:
ucciolord1 said:
I.
LOVE.
Ronon.
someone hasn't watched much of SG-1..
What are you talking about? I've watched almost every episode. Why wouldn't I like Ronon?
ronon is just a shadow of the awesomeness of teal'c, and that kindof cheapens him.
he tries to be badass, but the franchise had more than hit their 'badass warrior limit' long before his introduction.
but i guess you find him amusing, its just so hard for me to.
stuff like this made him much deeper than "grunt. last of race. grunt. dreadlocks. STUN revolvers"
I never said Ronon was better, just that I love him.
Teal'c is the badassest of the badass, but that's no reason to hate on Ronon.
Ah... remember Murray?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
MR T3D said:
ronon is just a shadow of the awesomeness of teal'c, and that kindof cheapens him.
he tries to be badass, but the franchise had more than hit their 'badass warrior limit' long before his introduction.
but i guess you find him amusing, its just so hard for me to.
stuff like this made him much deeper than "grunt. last of race. grunt. dreadlocks. STUN revolvers
I agree I personally hated Ronon, he was such a cliched character.

Last of his kind? Check
Awesome hair and costume? Check
Kickass gun? Check
Sword? Check
Badass disrespect for authority? Hell yes

The biggest thing that annoyed me was that he never wore the same uniform as the team, who did he think he was? Even the mighty and awesome Teal'c dressed in human style military garb. I can accept his pistol being better than normal handguns, but a dual p90 wielding Teal'c could beat it any-day.

TheArma

May 19, 2009
Having read REH's stories and (very occasionally) watched Stargate Atlantis I have to say that I can see this working. As a young Conan I can see this guy pulling it off, the right build, the right look and from what I have seen in SG Atlantis he can play the role... I approve.

Although my perferred choice would have been to see Arnie back in Conan's shoes in his latter years as king. I would kill to see The Phoenix on the Sword expanded upon and brought to life on the big screen.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Ronon was IMO the weakest link as far as characters in Atlantis go and Momoa's acting was pretty bad across the board. Basically, I'm not too thrilled...

wench

Braids of Fury!
May 1, 2008
Ah, but the next question is who's going to be taking the Sandahl Bergman role? She was my hero when I was a girl. Please, PLEASE don't let it be a supermodel. =)

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
wench said:
Ah, but the next question is who's going to be taking the Sandahl Bergman role? She was my hero when I was a girl. Please, PLEASE don't let it be a supermodel. =)
Or Megan Fox!

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on them casting one of the less fugly female MMA fighters, like Gina Carano, or someone else who's reasonably attractive but with quite a powerful physique and athletic ability.

Summer Glau has the skills and athletic ability, but I think she's too pretty and has too small a physique for that role.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
Having never sat through an episode of Stargate I don't know anything about this guy. I find myself skeptical of his casting simply based on the fact that I associate SciFi Channel with the torrent of "ManShark Vs. Giant Mosquito" sort of garbage that gets made somehow. I'm more worried about the other details of the film like the director. There's a lot that could be done with Conan but I've come to expect failure with remakes/reboots.

The original Arnie flick might not be brilliant but it's a classic in action movie history - consider the epic music alone, or the aging sequence where Conan pushes the giant mill thing for years.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
Well I personally quite liked Ronon as a character, note, as a supporting character.
I'm not convinced that he will make a good main character until he can adopt a personality that isn't just the angry mercenary type.
I'll hold judgement on this decision until I actually see some footage of him playing the roll.

wench

Braids of Fury!
May 1, 2008
Jamash said:
wench said:
Or Megan Fox!

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on them casting one of the less fugly female MMA fighters, like Gina Carano, or someone else who's reasonably attractive but with quite a powerful physique and athletic ability.

Summer Glau has the skills and athletic ability, but I think she's too pretty and has too small a physique for that role.
I think Summer Glau would be decent at it, but I'd definitely prefer to see her with a more muscled physique for that role. Probably doable, though.

RedFox042

May 25, 2009
yea
SharedProphet said:
Supposedly the old Conan movies were only loosely related to the actual novels
If you watch the special features on the first movie you find out that they spent a lot of time working with the authors and the illustrators of the books to keep it true to the series.

I could see Momoa working as Conan, if he spent some time in the gym bulking up. And perhaps they will cast all the supporting people as shorter than him and build the set to make him taller.

Taranaich

Jul 30, 2008
Luckily this isn't a remake of Conan the Barbarian, so Valeria isn't in the film. Rachel Nichols is cast as the "warrior woman" character, seeing as even though this isn't a remake they're basically stealing elements from Conan the Barbarian anyway.

RedFox042 said:
If you watch the special features on the first movie you find out that they spent a lot of time working with the authors and the illustrators of the books to keep it true to the series.
That's a hell of a feat, seeing as the creator Robert E. Howard died in 1936. The guys they talked to were nothing more than glorified fan-fiction writers who bought the license decades after Howard's death.

In any case, it doesn't really matter how much time they spent with the authors and illustrators of the pastiches when they end up with a film that basically contradicts everything the original character's about.

megalomania

Apr 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
robrob said:
Susan Arendt said:
Dude is yummy with a spoon, but I'm not convinced he's charismatic enough to be Conan.
Arnie is charismatic?
Perhaps that's not the right word...magnetic? Dude commands the screen, is what I'm saying. Not sure the same is true of Mr. Momoa.
I was going to say Arnie has 'gravitas' but that is definitely not the right word either; maybe we can settle for the entirely more pedestrian but much more accurate 'screen presence'.

Mr. Momoa is more brooding - kinda like Angel in season one of Buffy, only much more tanned and ripped...

/slightly-homoerotic-ramble-over

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
As a nerd for Robert E Howard and a purist for all things Cimmerian I can honestly say the first films were utter tripe. I loved them don't get me wrong but they captured exactly nothing of the stories at all! Conan was a alpha male not a blonde barely literate mountain of quivering muscle! He was multi lingual a strategist and an expert with every weapon going. He hated magic and very rarely resorted to ever using it unless it involved knobbing a sorceress!

So hopefully they do a decent adaptation. Hopefully without the overt racism!

RedFox042

May 25, 2009
Taranaich said:
That's a hell of a feat, seeing as the creator Robert E. Howard died in 1936. The guys they talked to were nothing more than glorified fan-fiction writers who bought the license decades after Howard's death.
*strokes your head tenderly*

aww who's a grumpy little puppy. Someone just needs some attention Who wants a biscuit, you do, That's who!