Steam and Linux Are Now an Item

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
Also, both sides of the OS argument need to stop being pretentious douches and realize that everyone is old enough to choose there own OS and don't need you argue why there decision is wrong.
Actually I would say most user are not, especially the management, since those have the power to fire or make your job hell over their own selfish hardware and software need, while not giving you budget to get thing working correctly, so you end up doing patchwork to get their thing working, instead of a well integrated solution if they had been consulting the IT department. But I work in IT, so I kind of got a biased opinion. =p

Good thing IT infrastructure are getting better at handling bring your own hardware, so that kind of case get less troublesome has time go.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
dobahci said:
It wasn't created by anti-corporate hipster luddites who wanted to "stick it to the man."
I wouldn't be so sure in the case of Stallman. But mostly agree with you. =)

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I need this so I can use the chat client without running WINE on my ubuntu install

Mar 5, 2011
Once OpenGL is better then Direct X that will be a glorious day. Also Nvidia should get there heads out of there ass and support Linux. Also AMD should go all the way with open source drivers.

rustybroomhandle

Jun 21, 2011
Aeshi said:
iniudan said:
Aeshi said:
Of course being able to play games on Linux and having games to play on Linux are two different things. I'm willing to be Steams 'Linux' section will have the Source Games and nothing else.
You forgot everything that was sold in the Humble Indie Bundle, for those all have a Linux release already.
Not a guarantee, at least a couple of the Indie bundle games on Steam are still Windows-only despite having OSX versions.
"Humble"- He said "Humble Indie Bundle" - as sold at http://humblebundle.com/ ... not just "indie bundle" ... The HIB sale requirement is that there must be Win/Lin/Mac versions available to qualify. This is one of the reasons Unity3D is being released for Linux, to give Unity's customers the opportunity to be included in HIB sales.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
okay, correct me if i'm wrong isn't the point of ubuntu/linux to get away from all the DRM and windows security stuff? i mean i thought it was supposed to be totally customizable. and it isn't steam (when you get right down to it) a stiff form of DRM that is always on and not customizable at all. Yeah it has great sales and everything but i figure most people that move away from windows realize they're giving up something and don't care enough... it seems like there wouldn't be a userbase there...

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Jove said:
I'm confused, whats good about Linux again?

Oh, its because Windows is too mainstreamed isn't it? And using an OS to limit yourself with will stick it to the man right? Never mind I got it now.
Back in 93 i was using my Amiga 1200 which came with a hardwired windows system which was about as complex as win 97. two years later microsoft invented windows and gave us win 95. from then on in microsoft used theft theft threats and a lot of luck (managed to get ibm to sign an exclusive distribution deal) to become the monopoly it is today.

And although today with win 7 we have at last a decent stable ish product the fact remains anyone who has been in or around pc's for any real length of time has more than a few reasons to loathe MS their monopolistic abuse and less than average products.

Ms basically put home computing back a decade. and a lot of us resent it and remember , come the day there's an actual alternative i fully expect a stampede of people leaving windows and not looking back.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
blindthrall said:
DVS BSTrD said:
blindthrall said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The March of the PC Gamers.
Tragically, this OS, will not survive.
You're saying Linux won't survive? Do you know how long Linux has been around for?
Actually, at the time everyone was going on about how they would be abandoning Windows.
Where's the tragedy in that?
Morgan Freeman feels compassion for all things.

Except whitey.
Ya know, he's said some things in interviews, that while sounding perfectly rational to a cracker like me, have gotten him labeled as an Uncle Tom.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Matthi205 said:
Elate said:
I just.. Fail to see any upside of using it rather than windows.
1)If it ran "pretty crappy" YOU were the one responsible for it . There is a ton of documentation on linux configuration . If something doesn't work properly - disable it .
As much as I love Linux, that's its main flaw. Most people aren't software engineers or computer scientists and as such don't really know what documentation is, where it is, how to read it and who to implement it. Most people just want something that works without you having to tinker with it.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Aeshi said:
iniudan said:
Aeshi said:
Of course being able to play games on Linux and having games to play on Linux are two different things. I'm willing to be Steams 'Linux' section will have the Source Games and nothing else.
You forgot everything that was sold in the Humble Indie Bundle, for those all have a Linux release already.
Not a guarantee, at least a couple of the Indie bundle games on Steam are still Windows-only despite having OSX versions.
While I see your point, I disagree.... The Steam on Mac thing was more of a: Lets give this untapped market some gaming capability and thus make money off of them.

Most people that have Linux on their home systems also have a Windows partition as well. Thus this is going to be more of a: Get people to move to this free OS thus allowing us more freedom with our client.

Different approach, different reason for diversifying. As best I can tell, to know the actual reason you would probably need to call up Gabe Newell.

you also have to factor in Newell's stance on Windows 8: http://techland.time.com/2012/04/25/steam-native-linux-client-near-gabe-newell-trashes-windows-8/