Steam Flirts With $1 Billion in 2010

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Holy shit! One BILLION dollars in a year! Whoever came up with the idea of Steam is an absolute genius! And I still feel like I rip off game developers when I buy their games for less than $2...

EDIT: And Portal got over 20 million dollars in sales! And Valve handed it out for free! That's just incredible.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
Well this seems like a lot, but the lions share of that 1 billion is still going to the companies, not valve.

Not to say they're doing bad, it's just the 1 billion is divided up with everyone.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
V8 Ninja said:
Holy shit! One BILLION dollars in a year! Whoever came up with the idea of Steam is an absolute genius! And I still feel like I rip off game developers when I buy their games for less than $2...
Dont, those devs are voluntarily putting their games up for that much to get extra sales in from the on the fence and bargain shoppers. When you buy that game for 2 bucks, it means that you likely weren't buying it at full price.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Heh, I think I helped just a bit. By this time of the year, last year, I only had like 30 games on Steam, now I have 175 games on Steam. My old job and those irresistible sales helped quite a lot for my library to grow that much.

Also, I'm glad Metro 2033 did well, that game was great, despite it's flaws.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i bought every game on that list on steam except blops(don't own) and new vegas(import to avoid the horrible german translation)
it's nice to see Metro doing so well, maybe not every got scared off by the undeserved bashing the game got

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
johnman said:
Pretty awesome that Portal is on that list despite being dirt chea and given away for free on occasion thoughout the year
I thought so too. Sales aren't always indicative of a good game, but when it's being given away for free and the sales are still that high I think it is.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Whoa, I thought Valve doesn't release Steam's sales numbers. Guess they decided this is worth showing, and with good reason. Those are some impressive numbers.

Nov 9, 2009
Buccura said:
Whoa, I thought Valve doesn't release Steam's sales numbers. Guess they decided this is worth showing, and with good reason. Those are some impressive numbers.
They don't release them. These are estimates.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Redratson said:
Kiefer13 said:
Good. I'm glad Valve are doing well. They deserve it.

*Obligatory "Now get the hell on with Episode 3, dammit!" comment*
Prepare for rant, wait for it.....wait for it....COME OUT WITH EPISODE 3 PLEASE K THNX BYE

OT: I'm sorta surprised that valve accumilated that much, I thought only a hand full of people bought games off of steams that were not made by Valve.
I think the average ammount of users online on steam at all times ammounts to about 2 Million. With about many more millions 'having' steam. But i think 2 Million people is a good guess of how many people buy games over steam at a regular basis. So its a handfull compared to blizzards stuff. But its still a pretty big hand.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Redratson said:
Kiefer13 said:
Good. I'm glad Valve are doing well. They deserve it.

*Obligatory "Now get the hell on with Episode 3, dammit!" comment*
Prepare for rant, wait for it.....wait for it....COME OUT WITH EPISODE 3 PLEASE K THNX BYE

OT: I'm sorta surprised that valve accumilated that much, I thought only a hand full of people bought games off of steams that were not made by Valve.
You've clearly missed the Christmas Steam Sale threads. "I bought ten billion games, and I've only downloaded two! I'm good for another two years!" and other such comments.
This is certainly my position. I haven't even downloaded half the games I bought in the sale yet, let alone played them, and that was a month ago.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Go Steam Racer! Go Go Steam Racer! I'll stop now...

OT: I never knew people thought that the PC was a dying platform. But at least steam is here to prove them wrong. And just waot till Crysis 2 and Portal 2 are out.

NoCure

Dec 9, 2010
Portal made 20.0mil and that was still after they gave it away for Free over E3

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Top 2 games cost quite a lot more than Left 4 Dead 2, which has been on sale pretty much anytime during the year. CoD games on steam rarely get a "decent" sale price. So even if the total money is larger for BlOps and MW2, it doesn't mean they've sold more copies.

duktapeman90

Fhqwhgads
Aug 16, 2009
lacktheknack said:
kebab4you said:
Just wait for the day when minecraft can be bought threw steam ;o
One of the splash screens in Minecraft is "Not available on Steam!", which has sad implications to what Notch feels towards Steam. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt Mojang will hand Minecraft over.
Really, I never got that implication from that splash screen. I always just thought it was a joke that his game was to crappy or unknown to make it on Steam (also it's a Java game). That's also before he made a shit-ton of money and the game ended up kicking more ass than you or your grandmother can handle.