Steam has come for you wallets again.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Flash sales. They don't do them anymore.
Flash sales were neat unless you worked normal hours. I can totally understand why they got rid of them. Plus, it really made it so you didn't want to get anything till the very end in case what you wanted ended up on the flash sale.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I probably won't get anything except something that has a pre-order discount as opposed to an actual holiday related discount. And it's a DLC at that. Most of what I'm after is on GoG.com anyway, so I wait for sales over there.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Flash sales were neat unless you worked normal hours. I can totally understand why they got rid of them. Plus, it really made it so you didn't want to get anything till the very end in case what you wanted ended up on the flash sale.
I can count the games on one hand I’ve bought from Steam since they got rid of them.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I tend to set a wishlist for games I'm interested in. When they hit the price point I feel they're worth, I tend to scoop them up.

Normally it's $30 or less.

Reactions: gorfias

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Don't mind me, just here to shill for Katana Zero. Worth it at full price, let alone on sale.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I never understood the Steam sale, or more accurately I don't get the anticipation/reaction. Are gamers really waiting all year long to get a 50% discount on The Outer Worlds, or Mafia? I mean if these were new releases like that viking game that would be one thing, but they're not. They're games that are years old. Just feels...I dunno, off.
Its like going to Walmart and seeing a sale on Transformers: The Last Knight toys. I'm pretty sure anyone who was interested already got them a while ago.
It works this way.

For most of the year, you put games that might be of interest on your wishlist. When the sale comes, you check which ones of them got cheaper and decide whether you want to actually buy them. Then you play them until the next sale while marking possible new entries for your wishlist. As Steam has a couple of sales a year, that works quite well. Yes, you get your game maybe a little late, but you also get patches, possible DLCs, more reviews and mybe even mods.

It is rare that i am really hyped enough for a new game that i pay full price to get it as soon as released. It does happen, but only for a few games.

Reactions: Dalisclock

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I never understood the Steam sale, or more accurately I don't get the anticipation/reaction. Are gamers really waiting all year long to get a 50% discount on The Outer Worlds, or Mafia? I mean if these were new releases like that viking game that would be one thing, but they're not. They're games that are years old. Just feels...I dunno, off.
Its like going to Walmart and seeing a sale on Transformers: The Last Knight toys. I'm pretty sure anyone who was interested already got them a while ago.
Its not like people buy games on release, or never.

I might be interested in game X, but not enough to dump a full £40/£50/£60 on it. A sale is a great opportunity to buy a game that I am unsure about, without taking so much of a financial hit. Its not like it is a day to mark on my calendar or anything, but it is always nice to see the games on my wishlist with a massive discount.

Im sure a lot of people also really depend on Steam sales to actually buy games, because they actually cannot afford to buy them at full price. A lot of these games are only ever this cheap on sale, or years and years down the line (unless it is a Call of Duty game, apparently).

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Nah dude, you don't go for those AAA titles on sale, you wait for the niche titles to go from $15 to $5.

Under $10 or it's a no buy.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I can count the games on one hand I’ve bought from Steam since they got rid of them.
Yeah, it sucks.

My wishlist:

DMC collection - My price is 6 dollars.
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order - My price is 15 dollars.
Star Wars Squadrons - My price is 10 dollars. Shouldn't take too long with the current price being 40.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - My price is 20 dollars. Maybe 15. Will likely have to wait at least another year.
Doom Eternal - My price is 15 dollars. Maybe 10. Already close at 20.
Ace Combat 7 - My price is 15 dollars. Maybe 10. The only one I played was 4 on the PS2.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yeah, it sucks.

My wishlist:

DMC collection - My price is 6 dollars.
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order - My price is 15 dollars.
Star Wars Squadrons - My price is 10 dollars. Shouldn't take too long with the current price being 40.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - My price is 20 dollars. Maybe 15. Will likely have to wait at least another year.
Doom Eternal - My price is 15 dollars. Maybe 10. Already close at 20.
Ace Combat 7 - My price is 15 dollars. Maybe 10. The only one I played was 4 on the PS2.
Do you know of Isthereanydeal? Great tool for us budgetminded pc gamers. Lets you set a desired price or discount% for a game. It'll then track prices for that game across all stores its available on, and when one of them drops to or below your preset, you get a notification via email.
Mind you, only for pc. Doesn't track consoles.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
So far, the damage hasn't been too bad.

Wolfenstein: The New Order-$6

Doom 64-$1.50

Persona 4: Golden-$17.50

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
People actually buy those cards? I got a millions but when I tried to sell them it was such a pita to do that I gave up.
Oh yeh, especially the Foil ones. Some of the Hatfall Foil cards are over $1 each on steam lol

I just tried a bit, what an incredibly terrible system. There's plenty of "buy" order for almost every card, but instead of just going to my inventory and click "sell at whatever price is highest now" I have to guess the price people are willing to buy it in a screen with no information about the current buy order. To find the buy order I need to open another window, go to community market place, find the game, find the card in the list, lookup what the highest buy order is and finally enter that amount. All that for maybe 5 cents.

I remember playing trough portal with dev commentary on and valve dev were absolutely obsessed with getting every little details right and making things as seamless as possible. Where was that attitude when it came time to design the steam store? If Valve gets a cut of every transaction between user, why aren't they trying to make this as easy as possible?
Just check points on the graph for the most recent sales and put that price or lower mainly is the best way to do it.

Buy orders are people who will auto buy at that price but often they're below market value.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Had some steam wallet credit left from selling steam cards, so I got Ion Fury for €8.02. Bit of old school blasting. Should be fun. Also, cuz it's Build Engine, it's tiny. When was the last time you downloaded and installed a game in under 10 seconds?
I have never understood Steam cards. I just know I have hundreds of the fucking things with usually about three duplications per game, and there's something about exchanging them to get a set, that I play a load of games hardly anyone else does to exchange with, and for all that effort exchanging I get I'm not really sure what at all.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I have never understood Steam cards. I just know I have hundreds of the fucking things with usually about three duplications per game, and there's something about exchanging them to get a set, that I play a load of games hardly anyone else does to exchange with, and for all that effort exchanging I get I'm not really sure what at all.
You mean, what they're actually intended for?

Get full set of cards for a game, trade in for game-themed profile background, emoticon and badge, which can usually be repeated about 5 times. Each badge level gets you 100xp towards your Steam level, which in turn ... doesn't really mean anything aside from increasing your friend list cap by 5 per level gained (fyi, default cap for a lv1 account is 250 friends).

In short, it's to enlarge your E-peen.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm pretty sure I got my fill from this Steam Sale.

Star Wars: Squadrons-$24
SW:Jedi:Fallen Order(god that title is awkward)-$24
Raji: An Ancient Epic-$20
Ori and the WIll O'Wisps-$15

Pretty much all of those had been on my wish list for a bit. Ori was a "Eh, why not? I liked the first one and $15 is pretty reasonable"

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Get full set of cards for a game, trade in for game-themed profile background, emoticon and badge, which can usually be repeated about 5 times. Each badge level gets you 100xp towards your Steam level, which in turn ... doesn't really mean anything aside from increasing your friend list cap by 5 per level gained (fyi, default cap for a lv1 account is 250 friends).

Also higher your level more likely you are to get a random free pack of cards for a game you've got all the card drops for (Doesn't mean you have the full set just all the available drops). AKA you get something you can open to finish a set of cards or sell on often for more money than the card alone would normally be worth.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

Seriously WTF. Spend hours dicking around to achieve basically nothing? That's what computer games are for.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Got Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition with a ton of DLC for $15

And... I'm only about 1/3 into Rise of the Tomb Raider! Loving it so, good to have this as well. I played the 1st one like mad. PC and Xbox versions.

And $12 for this with DLC:

And the Gold version of this for $20... OK I am done! Or my wife will kill me.

Last edited: