Steam Machine By Digital Storm Will Cost You $1900

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steam Machine By Digital Storm Will Cost You $1900

Digital Storm's first entry into the "Steam Machine" category isn't messing around.

PC manufacturer Digital Storm unveiled its first Steam Machine today, and it's a doozy. The Bolt II [http://www.digitalstormonline.com/bolt-ii.asp] will boast liquid-cooled, factory-overclocked CPUs, high-end dedicated GPUs, removable brackets for easy upgrading and an "expertly engineered airflow design," all in a small form factor enclosure. It will ship with both Windows and Steam OS installed.

In case there's any question, this rig will not come cheap: It will be available in four customizable configurations that start - start - at $1899.00. "We (Digital Storm) are not looking to compete with console pricing," said Digital Storm Director of Product Development Rajeev Kuruppu. "We're taking aim at the high end of the market, targeting consumers that demand the best possible gaming experience and who are looking for a PC capable of playing any title on their new 4K display."

It's not the sort of thing you're likely to buy to play Minecraft, in other words, but with at least a dozen other manufacturers teaming up with Valve to build Steam Machines - Alienware, Falcon Northwest, iBuyPower, CyberPowerPC, Origin PC, Gigabyte, Materiel.net, Webhallen, Alternate, Next, Zotac and Scan Computers were all revealed today as partners on the project - consumers who don't have two large to blow on living room gaming will probably have at least a few more budget-conscious options to choose from.

Digital Storm's Bolt II will go on sale at the end of January.

UPDATE: Now with specs! Digital Storm was kind enough to provide us with some details and, well... wow. Hold on to your hats.

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD: 120GB Corsair Neutron GTX
Storage: 1TB (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Cooling: 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS H87I-PLUS Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

All that gaming hotness will set you back a whopping $2,584. Yowzah!

Sources: Engadget [http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/06/steam-machine-from-digital-storm-launches-in-january-for-1-900/]

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I must be missing something here, because to me this feels like paying £1157.76 for an OS.

PC included, of course.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So 'Steam Machine' is now the fashionable term for 'Gaming PC' right?

It's quite interesting to see the smaller dream machine builders like Falcon Northwest in there with the big box movers like Alienware and Scan, although I shudder to think how much a FW Steam Box is going to cost.

Certainly sir, that'll be five thousand dollars, the blood of three virgins and your mortal soul! Delivery time approx six week, ciao!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
"We (Digital Storm) are not looking to compete with console pricing"
No shit! Honest, mister?

I want a new PC but I'm not paying over £1,000 for one! Bet it will sell like drug infused lava cakes though 'cos I know how much pc guys loves dem figures! "I'm running the most beautiful game on ultra settings at 120FPS!".

For me it doesn't matter, as long as games look better than minecraft and run at 30FPS I'm happy! (Yeah, I said 30!)

loa

Jan 28, 2012
That thing looks huge!
Isn't the whole point of steam machines to be compact pcs that ape consoles?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I would really ask you to reconsider if it's worth paying this much money for a thing you play games on without much other functionality and at the moment requires games to be streamed to be playable at all.

I mean videogames just aren't that important, there's so much else you could do with that money (like buy a console along with 20 games)

You'd need a games library the size of a house before steam sales start making you money back on that. If you really want to play games on a TV but refuse to buy a console, employ someone to carry your desktop back and forth for you. It'd probably be cheaper

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Mr.Tea said:

"1800$ ?!!? So much for PC gaming being affordable! herp derp"

And other such adorably ignorant comments...
Thing is though, for that price you could build your own high-end gaming PC and still have enough for a next-gen console. I think that's what people are getting at because that's damned expensive when compared to the model iBuy Pro Power has ($500).
This thing is basically an like Alienware, overpriced and you can get way cheaper to do just about as much. Doesn't help though that there are many people who don't know about the specs in PCs or don't understand what it all means. So then they believe that the more expensive it is, it must obviously have the best specs, which isn't always the case.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Mr.Tea said:

"1800$ ?!!? So much for PC gaming being affordable! herp derp"

And other such adorably ignorant comments...
Well I don't know, we've had 7 comments and nobody but you seems to have brought that up.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Love the form factor. Can't imagine anyone who is getting this isn't going to drop Windows into it as well as keeping SteamOS.

pure built gaming PC is pretty much what i have if i hadn't taken the plunge into finally building my own PC, this might interests me :D

I38VWI

Nov 9, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Love the form factor. Can't imagine anyone who is getting this isn't going to drop Windows into it as well as keeping SteamOS.

pure built gaming PC is pretty much what i have if i hadn't taken the plunge into finally building my own PC, this might interests me :D
It does ship with SteamOS and Windows both, the article says.

In any case, I can't be the only one who sees this price point as not all that terrible, right?
Like, obviously those with the right knowledge and connections can do better on their own, but this is good shit for store bought.

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
At this point all of those high end specs on these Steam Machines is unneeded as the only games you can run on the OS must be Linux compatible. By extension these games are either Indie or Source based(From what I have gathered from their Linux games list) and not too intensive. The exception I have found so far is Brutal Legend but even that game came out a few years ago. I have yet to find something that wont run well on High settings on a SteamBox I threw together from spare parts and placed in a cardboard box. A 2nd gen i5 and an old 9600 GSO with 768 MB of VRAM seem to do the trick.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Okay... tell me again why I shouldn't build this myself for half the price or get BOTH a XBone and a PS4? Wait it has Windows 8 on it... you know that's not a selling point right? That just means I have to spend time cleaning that shitty OS from the HDD and replace it with Win 7... So deduct 100$ in value for having Win 8.

Then let's look at the specs... oh nobody has those except this site. Dvice.com says that the specs for the $2,584 Bolt II model will include an Intel Core i7 4770K processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti with 3GB of VRAM, 16GB of DDR3 RAM, 1TB hard drive, 120GB SSD, 8x DVD multi-drive, 250mm liquid CPU cooler and a 500W power supply.

Now that might not be accurate, seeing as it's only one site, but if that's the 2500$ version. Then the 1900$ one has got to be pathetic. I have a better PC right now for literally HALF the price of the 2500$ one. Why would I buy this and not a Steam OS CD or digital download or whatever? Sure it's decent for a store bought PC... but who the fuck games on PC and doesn't even know any rudimentary stuff about PC building? It's kind of like selling ice cubes to an Eskimo. We've got cheaper ways to get the same product...

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
That's odd. Just a month ago I think that same box had an estimated starting price of $1,469 [http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/11/steam-machine/], not $1,900. I wonder what happened. Eh, a lot can change in a month.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
So basically this manufacturer made a machine where your basically paying $2k to play things on Steam?

I know people will buy it. And that's honestly the sad part about it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I38VWI said:
DTWolfwood said:

It does ship with SteamOS and Windows both, the article says.

In any case, I can't be the only one who sees this price point as not all that terrible, right?
Like, obviously those with the right knowledge and connections can do better on their own, but this is good shit for store bought.
Nice. Didn't think it was all that expensive either if this really is high end.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
loa said:
That thing looks huge!
Isn't the whole point of steam machines to be compact pcs that ape consoles?
It's just the angle of the picture, it's actually pretty small, they've wasted no space in that Mini-ITX enclosure. That's why they've got liquid cooling; a decent fan just takes up too much room. It doesn't look that much bigger than the new consoles, which is impressive considering the large discrete graphics card.