Steam Promotion Saves Introversion From Death

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Steam Promotion Saves Introversion From Death

The powers of digital distribution, Steam, and achievements have saved independent developer Introversion from dissolving.

Steam [http://www.introversion.co.uk/] came along to the studio's rescue.

Introversion's Mark Morris wrote on the company's blog that Darwinia+ had unexpectedly taken three years longer to create than estimated. Along with other projects the studio had in development, money was running out and the success of Darwinia+ on XBLA could either make or break Introversion. Morris reveals that sales were low: "Internally we knew within about an hour of Darwinia+'s launch that it hadn't done well enough. It took us about two weeks to really accept that and the awful realization that we didn't have enough to continue with the office or the staff."

Morris called this point "rock bottom" as Introversion was forced to let all of its staff go, and even the studio's four remaining key members didn't have any desire to continue the fight. Things looked grim, but an idea sparked to add achievements to Introversion's Steam version of DEFCON [http://store.steampowered.com/app/1520/] to get Valve to run a promotion for the game. 21 achievements were added, and Valve agreed to run a promotion that put four Introversion games on sale for $5 total. It might not seem like selling four games for $1.25 each would be able to save a studio, but it was.

The sale brought in around $250,000 of revenue, which was quite a lot for the slimmed down four-person team. With a year of capital now in the bank, Morris says the whole ordeal only brought the team closer together. They're now working on the upcoming Subversion [http://www.introversion.co.uk/subversion/], the team's "most ambitious game to date," with renewed energy. Just another positive bit of press for Valve and Steam, which is giving small developers not only the ability to survive, but exist entirely.

Source: Introversion Forums [http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introversion/viewtopic.php?t=2512]

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
I love this story, it's an absolute treat to hear about the small guys catching a break with a little help from the big guys.

I tried the DEFCON demo recently, and couldn't get along with it, but good on Introversion anyway :D

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
You see? Not only can Steam add 3 inches to your penis, give you good games for cheap, and provide a flawless experience...
[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]yourmileagemayvarymaynotactuallyincreasepenissize[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

But it also selflessly saved the poor dying Introversion!
Steam, you deserve a hug.
*hugs Steam*

PolloDiablo

Nov 17, 2009
It's less like "Steam saved Introversion" and more like "Firing 95% of their employees saved Introversion."

Dr Bob

Mar 17, 2010
*salutes Steam*

This isn't the first time Valve have helped out the little man.

So, is Valve exploiting independent developers? In short: absolutely not. Without pulling any punches, I can say with certainty that if it weren't for Steam, there would be no Tripwire Interactive right now.
Tripwire Interactive are the people behind the popular Killing Floor.

You can read more here: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25595

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
Fantastic. Uplink got a lot of play-time from me when I was younger. I'm glad that their company is still running.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
PolloDiablo said:
It's less like "Steam saved Introversion" and more like "Firing 95% of their employees saved Introversion."
Umm... no? It's like laying off their staff because they couldn't pay them anyway and were close to filing bankrputcy.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
I didn't even know of Darwinia on the XBLA - checking out the trial version now.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I was always suspicious of Darwinia+'s chances. I'm a fan of Darwinia, but it was always winnable by on-mass brute force; tactics and strategy were minimal. The simple aesthetic and narrative were pleasing enough to keep me playing, but the multiplayer concept just didn't draw me in. I pre-ordered DEFCON and was disappointed by the multiplayer focus in that, too; I don't even think I reinstalled it on my newest machine.

Introversion are a good indie team, but their latest games haven't been so great. My best hopes for Subversion; hell, if I graduate soon enough, I might well apply for a job with them to finish it off!

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
I've never played any of Introversion's games, but they have always intrigued me. I'm happy for that they get another kick at the can. But, I hope they can, at some point, re-hire the poor buggers that they were forced to let go.

Oh, and obligatory: GO STEAM! GO VALVE!

Now, off for more TF2!