Steam Sales 2016.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Ugh... Well I have no excuse to buy any new game until christmas. I mean I had a backlog anyway, but now I have a serious backlog.

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box $4.99
Portal 2 $4.99
Driver San Francisco $9.99
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition
FINAL FANTASY VIII $5.99
Borderlands 2 Game of the Year $9.99
Fable Anniversary $5.24
Fable Anniversary - Scythe Content Pack $1.49
Fable Anniversary - Heroes and Villains Content Pack $2.24
Metal Gear Rising $7.49
NEKOPARA Vol. 1 $3.59 (Wanting something outside my comfort zone)
NEKOPARA Vol. 0 $1.07
NEKOPARA Vol. 2 $6.02
Stardew Valley $11.99
Undertale $6.99 (On Yahtzee's Recommendation, dude's usually right)
Batman: Arkham Knight Premium Edition $24.99
Elite Dangerous: Commander Deluxe Edition $40.19 (Seriously can't wait to dig into this!)
Neptunia U $8.99
Until I Have You $6.99
Megalodon Shark: GTA$8,000,000 $59.99 (This is my jam)
Vampire?: The Masquerade - Bloodlines? $4.99
Freedom Planet $7.49
Scribblenauts Unmasked $4.99
Doctor Who: The Adventure Games $2.99
POSTAL 2 + Paradise Lost $1.94
Saints Row IV: Game of the Century Edition $9.99

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
DudeistBelieve said:
Ugh... Well I have no excuse to buy any new game until christmas. I mean I had a backlog anyway, but now I have a serious backlog.

Portal 2 $4.99
FINAL FANTASY VIII $5.99
Fable Anniversary $5.24
Metal Gear Rising $7.49
NEKOPARA Vol. 0 $1.07
NEKOPARA Vol. 2 $6.02
Stardew Valley $11.99
Elite Dangerous: Commander Deluxe Edition $40.19 (Seriously can't wait to dig into this!)
Neptunia U $8.99
Until I Have You $6.99
Freedom Planet $7.49
I find it funny that Nekopara is outside of your comfort zone but Postal 2 isn't.
I mean I totally understand it and it's the same for me but it's still funny.

But for why I have returned here:

My refund for DOOM went through, anybody here can recommend me some nice JRPGs?
FF VI showed me that being shit isn't a requirement to be called a JRPG and I want to broaden my horizon a bit.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
SplinterCell: Chaos Theory - $4.99
Viscera Cleanup Detail - $9.09
TableTop Simulator - $9.99
Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain - $27.99
Counter Strike: Global Offensive - $7.49

Total - $59.55

I was caught between MGSV + CS:GO, DOOM + CS:GO, and Overwatch. With the help of friends, I decided to go with MGSV. Positive reviews of MGSV tend to have 50-150 hours played compared to DOOM's 20-30 hours. Overwatch isn't going to go on sale any time soon so I might as well wait on it.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Dornedas said:
DudeistBelieve said:

Portal 2 $4.99
FINAL FANTASY VIII $5.99
Fable Anniversary $5.24
Metal Gear Rising $7.49
NEKOPARA Vol. 0 $1.07
NEKOPARA Vol. 2 $6.02
Stardew Valley $11.99
Neptunia U $8.99
Until I Have You $6.99
Freedom Planet $7.49
I find it funny that Nekopara is outside of your comfort zone but Postal 2 isn't.
I mean I totally understand it and it's the same for me but it's still funny.

But for why I have returned here:

My refund for DOOM went through, anybody here can recommend me some nice JRPGs?
FF VI showed me that being shit isn't a requirement to be called a JRPG and I want to broaden my horizon a bit.
I misread Postal 2 as Portal 2 and I was like "What?"

haa... Postal 2 is fullfilling a dark curosity of young tween me who read about Postal 2 in magazines. In all honesty the idea of playing the game right now makes me feel a little sick, but what the hell it was $2, I'll see if the magazine was right and if you can beat the game without firing a single shot.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Was a bit let down this year as well, as the games I'm interested in are still too expensive for me to be arsed to buy them.
Picked upp FFVI, Tales of Symphonia and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate(such a fucky title) for ~18 euro though, so that should get me lots of game time.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
DoPo said:
Thea: The Awakening [http://store.steampowered.com/app/378720/?snr=1_7_15__13] (-40%)
I'm looking for a nice strategy game to store for later when the craving sets in. Last time it happened I binged Banished, it seems right up my alley. So I'm quite interested in this game, but I'm unsure atm, does it have a definitive end, or is it more on the roguelike side of things? It advertises itself as a procedurally generated survival game, among other things.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
So far I've bought The Following for Dying Light, some DLC for PayDay 2, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance and Alien Isolation.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
gsilver said:
Weresquirrel said:
Out of curiosity, can anyone vouch for/disavow any of the following games? Kinda curious about them, but don't know much beyond their trailers:

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

... I do quite like Metroidvania type games.
Buy Momodora. It's in Metroidvania style, and the art/music/design are all really good.
It's also part of a series, though it's a lot different from its predecessors (and is also a prequel that doesn't require knowledge of the other games)
The first two are actually freeware, and Momodora 3 is much cheaper,

Though Reverie is the best and most substantial game of the lot.
Actually bought all the games I mentioned except for Ghost this morning, along with the Stick of Truth at the recommendation of a friend. Not had a chance to play any of them yet though.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Imre Csete said:
DoPo said:
Thea: The Awakening [http://store.steampowered.com/app/378720/?snr=1_7_15__13] (-40%)
I'm looking for a nice strategy game to store for later when the craving sets in. Last time it happened I binged Banished, it seems right up my alley. So I'm quite interested in this game, but I'm unsure atm, does it have a definitive end, or is it more on the roguelike side of things? It advertises itself as a procedurally generated survival game, among other things.
Yes, there is a definite end. The premise is that the world tree has died, which almost killed the gods plunged the world in chaos and a very long night, as the balance was broken. Which means more monsters roam around and so on. The long night has given way to a weak sun that does come and go, but it's nothing like the days before the cataclysm. You are one of the gods who manages to muster enough power to lead your people in a world that is just recovering from a grave injury. Your main task is to find out what happened to the world tree and see if you can repair the damage. Or maybe you want to stab at the wound and twist the knife thus irrevocably damaging the world.

When you complete that task, you can continue playing or finish the game at any point. It would take a while, though, as you have to get your people strong enough first.

There are secondary objectives, too. Each of the gods you can choose has a personal quest that aren't required to finish the game, but are side stories for you to explore. The expansion also introduces another story about the giants waking up and returning to the world. Which is bad for the world.

These aren't, technically, very long if you focus on finishing each one individually, but there is survival to be had and some strategic decisions (securing resources, for example) that are probably going to take priority. Also, the further stages of the quests are sort of "level gated", for you'd face tougher challenges. The expansion content, in particular, is a bit of a "high level" content, as it only becomes active later in the game and the challenges are tougher than what you'd find in the main quest.

For completeness' sake, I want to mention that there are also some random quests and events you will get throughout the game. They are fairly short - the events would lead you directly into some situation (your village is attacked by bandits, or you find a wandering elf, or the weather turns really bad) while the quests are rarely more than "go to the marked location and face the challenge" but some may have 2-3 stages. Some of the random quests could be a bit repetitive ("investigate the abandoned house", shows up maybe 10 times a game when I've played) but not all of them. The quests are given to you based on a roll of dice, but do also have some criteria - for example, you could see something interesting in the distance while travelling (small chance when you move) or sometimes it's just based on the time (randomly at the beginning of your turn). Each situation you face, generally has multiple resolutions. Sometimes you can take up the challenge or leave it and flee, but often there are multiple ways to approach it, which leads to different outcomes. There is also an element of randomness in what exactly happens, sometimes, as in choosing an option may have a couple of variations.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Oh there's SO MUCH on my Wishlist on sale...I could probably nearly wipe it out today...but I need money for food the next week soooooo...
(then again the sale doesn't end till July the 4th sooooooo).

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Whee! Doom was refunded (And Bulletstorm didn't), so I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider!

Eat a dick, popular consensus on whats good and what isn't.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
There's definitely some stuff I want to get (and indeed have already gotten) in this year's Steam Sale. I already got Environment Station Alpha and Lisa the Painful/the Joyful for under 10 quid. Other than that, I'm keeping my eye on Titan Souls, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Transistor, Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation and Stardew Valley; hopefully at least some of them will still be on sale by the time I get paid next week.

To be honest, between this and the GOG sales earlier in the month, this has been a good time for me and PC gaming, I managed to pick up some cracking stuff.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I just got Undertale for $6. A pleasure so far. I hope it saves automatically or I'm going to have to repeat about an hour of progress!

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
DoPo said:
Seems like I can get a decent mileage out from it, thanks for the info. Been around on my radar for a while, but 'tis the season for buying stuff.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
My issue with steam sales in general is that I already own every game I want and on my wishlist there are only like 2 games I actually would pay money for and they're not usually discounted by very much (if at all)

but this sale I bought War For The Overworld

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I've been saving up so had a bit of money to splurge around and stock up on games, here's what I got so far:

-DragonFinSoup
-Shantae:Risky's revenge
-Missing DLCS for Mordheim and though it isn't technically part of sales, rather more on discount due to having just come out, got Witch Hunters DLC cos well, them hats are awesome.
-Red Solstice
-DLCs for Crusader King 2, still considering whether to get DLC for EU 4 (on paper they don't sound like much and reviews are negative).
-Rebel Galaxy (on a similar note since is also a space RPGIsh game, been considering getting C.E.R.E.S but that looks so friggin hard to get into, even watching videos of gameplay Im still not sure if the controls and interface would put me off or not. Really love how complex the game sounds but sadly this complexity extends to how you control your ship...).
-Shadowrun: Hong Kong
-Rise of Samurai Campaign for Shogun 2

And gifted Renowned Explorers+Expansion to a friend.
Sales not over yet so still open to ideas and whatever catches my fancy, but quite happy with what I got so far.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Necrozius said:
So there's no chance that any of these games will get discounted any further? Without Flash Sales... meh...
Yeah, I think that this is the fault of the new refund policy. If they had flash sales they'd get a rush of refunds from people who were impatient and bought them with a shallower discount. It's a shame because it makes the big sales a bit less fun, I'm sure they could still come up with creative extras like GOG's XP system of something.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Souplex said:
Pretty meager offerings to be honest.
I got Civ: Beyone Earth: Rising Tide, and Axiom Verge.
XCOM 2 was discounted, but not enough for me to buy.
MHR said:
This. Is bonkers. So glad I grow up as a millennial when the games are gettin' good.
Don't use that word, it's a dumb word.
People born from 86-95 weren't born at the turn of the millennium, we didn't come of age at the turn of the millennium, and the millennium was a meaningless event to us. It was only relevant to Gen Xers who came of age then.
The appropriate terms are "The Best Generation", "Generation G", and "The Gabest generation".
I thought it was partly to be ironic, like Apple Jacks. They didn't actually taste like apples, but then they changed them...

"the entire concept of Apple Jacks commercials was that the name Apple Jacks didn't make any sense, but kids didn't give a fuck because they were good. Evil adults were constantly trying to change them to make it make sense and the kids always rallied to stop them.

In 2007, Apple Jacks began to advertise that they now taste like apples. And this was apparently a good thing." Apple jacks had to grow up and start acting like apples. We had to grow up and start hating life.

Yeah, that's about when we came of age. When apple jacks had to taste like apples; childhood was officially over. That's one way to define the generation.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Since my previous post, I figured out my Brutal Doom problem and picked up Ultimate Doom to give myself an extra shot of the ol' Ultra Violence. Actually, I may have beaten The Ultimate Doom but I got stuck on that level that's essentially just a corridor, a star-shaped blood arena and, two Cyber-Demons. Killed those suckers but I wasn't sure what to do next. Other than figuring that out, I finally bought Ironcast which has been on my wishlist's number 1 spot for a while now. Broforce was cheap (and I can't stream it) so mine now! Detective Grimoire looked really interesting and I wound up grabbing that instead of Dropsy. Goetia is called Goetia so I absolutely had to pick it up but the fact that it's a Gothic horror, point-n-click, puzzler also had me sold. Mini Metro is another that's been on my list and I mainly just want to see how (or if) I can screw up the DC area Metro system. I think I'm done steaming it up for now...I don't get paid again until after the sale and I have some bills that need paying.