Steampunk 360 Controller is a Real Key-Turner

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steampunk 360 Controller is a Real Key-Turner

This awesome pseudo-steampunk Xbox 360 controller is the perfect gift for the discriminating gamer who has everything.

I'm calling it "pseudo-steampunk" because I'm not sure if this thing really qualifies as full-on steampunk, but tired pedantry aside there's no question that this Xbox 360 controller is mighty, mighty awesome. It sports an admittedly fake but still very nice antique wood grain finish, brass rivets, custom sticks and buttons, soft leather grips - fine Corinthian, perhaps? - and the pièce de résistance, a skeleton key switch that actually works. That's right, if you want to turn this controller on and use it, you've got to pop in the key and give it a twist. Lose the key? Sucks to be you, cowboy.
[gallery=509]
Then again, whoever buys it is probably going to be extremely careful with the key and everything else involved, too. $999.99 on eBay [http://morbidstix.com/index.htm]. Shipping included!

It's a beautiful piece, but a thousand bucks for a game controller? Good luck with that.

Source: technabob [http://technabob.com/blog/2011/10/17/morbidstix-steampunk-xbox-360-controller/]

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I have to admit... that is pretty damn awesome... but even if I was an Xbox-fanatic, I probably wouldn't spend a thousand dollars on it.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
If I came across a dude who was wielding a thousand-dollar controller, I would definitely think he was overcompensating for something.

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
There will be that one rich guy that just has to have it.He only has to sell one at a time with that price though.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
OMG! DO WANT! GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!!!

*Ahem*

Yeh...urm...very nice controller >.>

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
It's a beautiful piece, but a thousand bucks for a game controller? Good luck with that.
Not much needed when you're selling a unique item really, it's not like they're mass producing this stuff. It'll get sold sooner or later and I'm guessing sooner - money is not a barrier for everyone (not saying it isn't for myself, just that there are people out there with that kind of disposable income and a passion for gaming/steampunk)

OT: Looks pretty cool, the key is the absolute best part :)

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I wouldn't spend $1000 on an Xbox 360 made out of actual wood, why would I spend $1000 on a controller made out of fake wood?

Don't get me wrong, that thing looks awesome but...$1000!? I'd pay maybe $80 or $100 for it at most but...yeesh.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Cheshire the Cat said:
Fake wood? Pah. Real wood and brass or nothing. I leave the wood grained plastics to peasants.

But seriously, real wood and brass of that would be fucking awesome but still not worth 1k.
I'd only buy this if the brass and wood was real brass and wood. And even then, this would be far down the list of things I would buy if I was a millionaire.
Lacking millions, I won't be buying this anytime soon.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Nice controller. It does qualify as art, though, thus why its priced according to the effort and worth; only a filthy rich madman would buy this just to use it like yet another controller. I couldn't afford $1000 for such a unique piece myself, either....but I'm sure there's someone who works at a place like Microsoft or elsewhere who'd easily pay for such an interesting piece of art.

grimgor42

Mar 15, 2011
yeah but what if you lose the key? it's a pretty small key. I guess steam punk isn't supposed to mean better.