Steve Jobs Is a Vindictive Weenie, Says EA Founder

smudgey

May 8, 2008
HBaskerville said:
The only thing more irritating that the Cult of Apple people are the Cult of I HATE Apple people. It's like the people that brag about not having a TV or about being vegan. Good for you, but no one else cares. The same people (nerds) that mock sports fanatics insert themselves into the middle of corporate competition in the exact same way.

I'm all for caring a lot about something - that's what being a nerd is all about. The part that baffles me is that instead of being excited about what you like you focus negatively on what you don't like. You really care about what Apple does? Why? They have no where near a monopoly on anything in tech. Lots of people buy their stuff and love it. Does that bother you? Should it?

If you want to be worried about a tech company and the way it does business, be wary of Google. They actually have a monopoly on search and sell your information to anyone and everyone.

I know that it is deemed cool to not like the popular thing and that it is scary when your secret thing (internet, gaming, tech, etc) moves out of the basement and into the mainstream. So, be cool.
THIS. A thousand times, THIS. If a company makes a product you don't like, don't buy it. Just don't whinge about it. I guess people just want to jump on the "I'm so cool 'cause i hate Apple" bandwagon.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Oddly enough, I had never even considered just how much Apple's success is tied to Jobs. It's stupid, I know. I remember that time Apple's stock plummeted due to rumors of Jobs being on death's doorstep, and how each of Apple's presentations revolve around him. Hawkins is completely correct, the Cult of Apple (trademark) will collapse the instant Jobs leaves, although its share on the gadget market will probably decline anyway due to competition from similar (and superior, like it or not) products.

I'd honestly be interested in reading a real psychological analysis of Jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to match that of your average dictator, at least going by Hawkins' description of him.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Max Cool said:
I can never respect a company whose entire marketing campaign for their macbook was "The other guy sucks." "The other guy gets viruses." "The other guy is a fat dweeb and I'm a pretty boy." All that time, did Gates strike back and say "you can't actually do s... on a mac?" not really. At the end, a little, but by then Jobs had fooled everyone into buying iphones that weigh 8 pounds and have a touch screen for no reason.
No kidding. Those "I'm a Mac" ads didn't make me want to buy a Mac any more. I'd say they made me want to do it even less.

OT: Yeah, I gotta say, I kinda agree with this guy.

Busdriver580

Dec 22, 2009
I wouldn't guess that apple is in any real danger, they never did sell on quality or ideas or anything like that. They sell trendy bullshit to middle class white people, so they really couldn't be threatened by a superior product. Hell they've already created the worlds least cost effective laptop and managed to sell loads of them. I disagree that apple has peaked.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
Steve Jobs reminds me of THAT guy you used to know in High School. The one who was probably the smartest in the entire school but was so fucking full of himself that his 'friends' only used him for his homework answers and notes.

Feb 13, 2008
Belief helped us leave the cave.

Enforced Belief puts us back in the cave.

Goddamit...makes me uncomfortable to agree with EA. C'mon...put out a horrible advert again so I can throw stuff at you.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Dak_N_Jaxter said:
Why does EA keep saying things.
It's starting to get a little tiresome.
Did you not read the story at all? It was the guy who FOUNDED EA he is no longer part of EA but part of Digital Chocolate.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
He has to be a vindictive weenie and of course his death will mean a decline in sales but perhaps he has a brilliant plan: iImmortal

Jerubbaal

Jul 22, 2011
HaraDaya said:
I always enjoy some Apple bashing. It's always been so delightfully ironic how they have become what their first ad was rebelling against, it pisses Apple fans right off when you tell them that.
Closed platforms are not the way to go, it only hinders any user development of their stuff. Arrogant bastards.
You referring to their "1984" ad? Futurama does a good job of making fun of that in an episode.

EDIT: I finished reading the whole article in the OP and see they already mentioned the 1984 commercial.

Jerubbaal

Jul 22, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Goddamit...makes me uncomfortable to agree with EA. C'mon...put out a horrible advert again so I can throw stuff at you.
Ever since their announcement that BF3 would be designed for PC first I've been feeling the same way. I hate loving anything they do or say.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Before we completely bash out Jobs, he was one of the co-founders of Pixar, a company who ahs given us some of the best films of all time.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
CM156 said:
Max Cool said:
I can never respect a company whose entire marketing campaign for their macbook was "The other guy sucks." "The other guy gets viruses." "The other guy is a fat dweeb and I'm a pretty boy." All that time, did Gates strike back and say "you can't actually do s... on a mac?" not really. At the end, a little, but by then Jobs had fooled everyone into buying iphones that weigh 8 pounds and have a touch screen for no reason.
No kidding. Those "I'm a Mac" ads didn't make me want to buy a Mac any more. I'd say they made me want to do it even less.

OT: Yeah, I gotta say, I kinda agree with this guy.
I hated I'm a Mac ads too it made Apple look like complete pricks looking down at what they once were the geeky fat guy. Overall I found no use in Apple products because there's always something else out there they does what Apple does better.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
Krion_Vark said:
Dak_N_Jaxter said:
Why does EA keep saying things.
It's starting to get a little tiresome.
Did you not read the story at all? It was the guy who FOUNDED EA he is no longer part of EA but part of Digital Chocolate.
Ah damn it.
I've just been so irritated by all of the EA announcements recently that I just rushed right in and posted.
Just, half the stuff they've been saying is common knowledge and reiterations.
But, yeah, I done goofed...

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
He thinks Apple will start declining sometime? Cool story bro.

In other news, bricks may be made of clay. On the scene is K-ESC's own Captain Obvious. Captain?

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I'm reminded of a few lines from Marcus in fallout, New Vegas:

"Caesar thinks he can change human nature. Most of the Legion is following Caesar, not Caesar's ideals. When he's gone, it'll crumble."
"Might not happen overnight. Might take a few decades. But it'll happen. Basic human nature - greed, ambition, jealousy - will see to it

http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/b/ba/Vdialoguej_vdialoguejacobs_00144c49_1.ogg
http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/e/e1/Vdialoguej_vdialoguejacobs_00144c49_2.ogg

I'm inclined to think he's correct about Jobs and the tenuous situation his ego has created at the top of the company.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
smudgey said:
HBaskerville said:
The only thing more irritating that the Cult of Apple people are the Cult of I HATE Apple people. It's like the people that brag about not having a TV or about being vegan. Good for you, but no one else cares. The same people (nerds) that mock sports fanatics insert themselves into the middle of corporate competition in the exact same way.

I'm all for caring a lot about something - that's what being a nerd is all about. The part that baffles me is that instead of being excited about what you like you focus negatively on what you don't like. You really care about what Apple does? Why? They have no where near a monopoly on anything in tech. Lots of people buy their stuff and love it. Does that bother you? Should it?

If you want to be worried about a tech company and the way it does business, be wary of Google. They actually have a monopoly on search and sell your information to anyone and everyone.

I know that it is deemed cool to not like the popular thing and that it is scary when your secret thing (internet, gaming, tech, etc) moves out of the basement and into the mainstream. So, be cool.
THIS. A thousand times, THIS. If a company makes a product you don't like, don't buy it. Just don't whinge about it. I guess people just want to jump on the "I'm so cool 'cause i hate Apple" bandwagon.
I think many people have an issue with how apple affects their products whether it be redic patents that should have never been granted in the first place, and then suing, or letting a developer on your platform only to change the rules after their investment is already made because of arbitrary rules that apple likes to change at a moments notice. I could care less if their shit is expensive, I care that they are preventing me from getting my galaxy s 2 because it looks to similar to iPhones. Written from my mbp, screw Steve, he is an asshole, and I could list countless stories of him walking down the hall and screaming at an employee for ahving a difference of opinion. It works for apple but it doesn't' make him any less of an asshole.