Steve Jobs Is a Vindictive Weenie, Says EA Founder

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Little Duck said:
Before we completely bash out Jobs, he was one of the co-founders of Pixar, a company who ahs given us some of the best films of all time.
So did George Lucas, it doesn't' mean he's not a grubby asshole in it for the dollar. I'd suspect the difference is that steve would never bastardize his own products ;)

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Busdriver580 said:
I wouldn't guess that apple is in any real danger, they never did sell on quality or ideas or anything like that. They sell trendy bullshit to middle class white people, so they really couldn't be threatened by a superior product. Hell they've already created the worlds least cost effective laptop and managed to sell loads of them. I disagree that apple has peaked.
MBP's are amazing, this is coming from someone who's owned over 10 laptops from all sorts of manufactures and at all price points up to 3k and I ahve not found a single better laptop from a purly form factor perspective (not just pretty but solid, light, great battery life, and nicer keyboard then most(although the lack of home and end key along with the function keys not being normal is a tough swtich)).
Yes they do cost a lot more but I think it's justified. OS x and iOS on the other hand.... still kinda hate them although I'm giving it a chance with the most recent release of lion.

This isn't some sheeple response or me being tricked, I've built computers, programmed, gamed, sys admin, all of it and the MBP is the best laptop I've ever had. Feel free to disagree but I think many would argue for their MBP's worth. iMacs and low end pro desktops on the other hand are a waste of money. The high end pro's just get to the point where they can't have any markup to be competitive so you can get some good consumer server stuff at a good price.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
megs1120 said:
Coming up next on The Escapist, the moon has been revealed to be round.
Sorry to piss on your sarcasm, but it's not.
The moon is round like a cube is square.
I think 'spherical' is the word you want.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Want to see Job's backstory? Watch "Pirates of Silicon Valley". It's a good movie, and it's all about the founding of Apple and Microsoft. Gives plenty of backstory and perspective on both Jobs and Gates.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Denamic said:
megs1120 said:
Coming up next on The Escapist, the moon has been revealed to be round.
Sorry to piss on your sarcasm, but it's not.
The moon is round like a cube is square.
I think 'spherical' is the word you want.
Round is perfectly apt there.... good attempt at trolling though even though you just made yourself look silly.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&noj=1&q=round&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=peY6TszfDoTEgQepgOmfDw&ved=0CCEQkQ4&biw=1702&bih=830

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
manythings said:
Max Cool said:
I can never respect a company whose entire marketing campaign for their macbook was "The other guy sucks." "The other guy gets viruses." "The other guy is a fat dweeb and I'm a pretty boy." All that time, did Gates strike back and say "you can't actually do s... on a mac?" not really. At the end, a little, but by then Jobs had fooled everyone into buying iphones that weigh 8 pounds and have a touch screen for no reason.
I think it was a tester to see what stupid crap they couldake people buy. Now they know that not only can they release a yearly Iphone they can release two yearly Iphones and still sell them.

OT: From everything I've read and seen Jobs (And Gates) are meant to be absolute motherfuckers who will do whatever they can to get what they want and then knife you if you don't do as you're told.
Gates is the single biggest philanthropic donator in the world and is a generally nice guy (I've met gates in person, but also have friends who worked with him). Ruthless businessman sure but generally a good guy. Jobs is just an asshole (the horror stories from apple employees, yes I know apple people too) all the time. Up on stage, in his emails, to his employees.

nadesico33

It's tragically delicious!
Mar 10, 2010
TheDooD said:
CM156 said:
Max Cool said:
I can never respect a company whose entire marketing campaign for their macbook was "The other guy sucks." "The other guy gets viruses." "The other guy is a fat dweeb and I'm a pretty boy." All that time, did Gates strike back and say "you can't actually do s... on a mac?" not really. At the end, a little, but by then Jobs had fooled everyone into buying iphones that weigh 8 pounds and have a touch screen for no reason.
No kidding. Those "I'm a Mac" ads didn't make me want to buy a Mac any more. I'd say they made me want to do it even less.

OT: Yeah, I gotta say, I kinda agree with this guy.
I hated I'm a Mac ads too it made Apple look like complete pricks looking down at what they once were the geeky fat guy. Overall I found no use in Apple products because there's always something else out there they does what Apple does better.
Well, another point is that whole "macs don't crash" and "macs don't get viruses" are on the border between PR market-speak and outright lies. Sure, in general, Mac OS is stabler than Windows, but things do crash, Apple's software engineers are simply better at hiding the fact that it happens (unlike Vista which I has several times frozen when Flash decides to crash). As for viruses, as the MacDefender thing earlier this year proved, Macs can get viruses The reason that its only starting there now is because the Mac marketshare is finally getting large enough that writing said viruses is actually worth the time. Previously, the marketshare was small enough that writing a Mac virus is was not profitable, Windows was/is.

Personally, some of the, admittedly limited, amount of coverage I read of the MacDefender incident was incredibly comical. Anyone who's browsed the internet on Windows for any period has seen the antivirus popup scheme before, and knows to avoid it like the plague. And Mac users that got hit actually fell for that thing, meaning that some of them never learned safe-browsing practices. XD

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I think a big harbinger of Apple's decline is the fact that their newer ads rely on their own reputation more than actual selling points of their devices. The facetime one especially expects you and everyone you know to own an apple device in order to use it. Why would anyone buy a webcam that only allowed you to talk with other people with the same brand of webcam?

I don't think they will outright fail, but will probably stagnate and become a low risk, very slow growing blue chip company.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Richard Allen said:
Busdriver580 said:
I wouldn't guess that apple is in any real danger, they never did sell on quality or ideas or anything like that. They sell trendy bullshit to middle class white people, so they really couldn't be threatened by a superior product. Hell they've already created the worlds least cost effective laptop and managed to sell loads of them. I disagree that apple has peaked.
MBP's are amazing, this is coming from someone who's owned over 10 laptops from all sorts of manufactures and at all price points up to 3k and I ahve not found a single better laptop from a purly form factor perspective (not just pretty but solid, light, great battery life, and nicer keyboard then most(although the lack of home and end key along with the function keys not being normal is a tough swtich)).
Yes they do cost a lot more but I think it's justified. OS x and iOS on the other hand.... still kinda hate them although I'm giving it a chance with the most recent release of lion.

This isn't some sheeple response or me being tricked, I've built computers, programmed, gamed, sys admin, all of it and the MBP is the best laptop I've ever had. Feel free to disagree but I think many would argue for their MBP's worth. iMacs and low end pro desktops on the other hand are a waste of money. The high end pro's just get to the point where they can't have any markup to be competitive so you can get some good consumer server stuff at a good price.
I'm with you. I used to be a PC user and also used to bash anyone who used Apple products.... then I actually tried a Macbook Pro.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Little Duck said:
Before we completely bash out Jobs, he was one of the co-founders of Pixar, a company who ahs given us some of the best films of all time.
Pixar was founded by former Lucasfilms employees using tech that Lucasfilms basically invented. But Jobs did invest a ton of money into it and became majority owner before selling it to Disney.

I don't own any Apple products myself (I too hate the closed nature of their systems). But I do have several friends that do and I have to admit that Macbook Pros are well built and designed products.

Jay Satish

Aug 4, 2011
I'm not an Apple fan; I do own a MacBook Pro but the price tag doesn't justify the outdated hardware. The systems are well-built, I agree. I was looking to purchase a Mac Pro for professional uses but thought better of it. I like the look and feel of the OS X but I've had no trouble whatsoever with Windows 7, so I'll be staying out of the Mac zones until there's a solid reason to go Mac. The OP was amusing, though.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
About the only thing his comments have done is bring out my love of Steve Job's ... Job ... all that much more. He hates EA and its founders too? I knew there was something I always liked about him.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
smudgey said:
HBaskerville said:
The only thing more irritating that the Cult of Apple people are the Cult of I HATE Apple people. It's like the people that brag about not having a TV or about being vegan. Good for you, but no one else cares. The same people (nerds) that mock sports fanatics insert themselves into the middle of corporate competition in the exact same way.

I'm all for caring a lot about something - that's what being a nerd is all about. The part that baffles me is that instead of being excited about what you like you focus negatively on what you don't like. You really care about what Apple does? Why? They have no where near a monopoly on anything in tech. Lots of people buy their stuff and love it. Does that bother you? Should it?

If you want to be worried about a tech company and the way it does business, be wary of Google. They actually have a monopoly on search and sell your information to anyone and everyone.

I know that it is deemed cool to not like the popular thing and that it is scary when your secret thing (internet, gaming, tech, etc) moves out of the basement and into the mainstream. So, be cool.
THIS. A thousand times, THIS. If a company makes a product you don't like, don't buy it. Just don't whinge about it. I guess people just want to jump on the "I'm so cool 'cause i hate Apple" bandwagon.
You know, there's one group more annoying than the "Cult of I HATE Apple", and that's the Cult of I Call Everyone Who Hates Apple a Bandwagoner. Plenty of people dislike Apple for valid reasons, not just because it's popular, now it sucks [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle6cd1cskka05i].

CM156 said:
Max Cool said:
No kidding. Those "I'm a Mac" ads didn't make me want to buy a Mac any more. I'd say they made me want to do it even less.
Those "I'm a Mac" commercials are quite possibly the worst advertising campaign I've ever seen. Don't tell people anything useful or true about your product, just make some clips where the Windows guy isn't as good as the Mac for whatever reason. Make the Windows guy crash, then have the Mac guy tell some like about how Macs don't crash. Make the Windows guy get a virus, then have the Mac guy say he doesn't get viruses. Have them both make a movie and have Mac guy make a better movie of course. That commercial was especially stupid: Macs might have good software for making videos, but there's pretty good software for that available for Windows too, and the quality of the movie you make isn't completely dependent on what software you use. You can have iMovie, but if you don't know how to use it properly, your movie will be just as bad as Windows guy's movie.

But yeah, in short, a bunch of ads that basically just say "Windows sucks" did nothing to make me want to buy a Mac. They just made me say "Apple is quite the dick."

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Give it up EA. He founded what we know computers to be today. He spearheaded the trend toward graphical user interfaces, and then he spearheaded the trend toward mobile computing.

Deal with it EA. You haven't spearheaded any trend toward anything except for annoying copy protection schemes.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Richard Allen said:
smudgey said:
HBaskerville said:
The only thing more irritating that the Cult of Apple people are the Cult of I HATE Apple people. It's like the people that brag about not having a TV or about being vegan. Good for you, but no one else cares. The same people (nerds) that mock sports fanatics insert themselves into the middle of corporate competition in the exact same way.

I'm all for caring a lot about something - that's what being a nerd is all about. The part that baffles me is that instead of being excited about what you like you focus negatively on what you don't like. You really care about what Apple does? Why? They have no where near a monopoly on anything in tech. Lots of people buy their stuff and love it. Does that bother you? Should it?

If you want to be worried about a tech company and the way it does business, be wary of Google. They actually have a monopoly on search and sell your information to anyone and everyone.

I know that it is deemed cool to not like the popular thing and that it is scary when your secret thing (internet, gaming, tech, etc) moves out of the basement and into the mainstream. So, be cool.
THIS. A thousand times, THIS. If a company makes a product you don't like, don't buy it. Just don't whinge about it. I guess people just want to jump on the "I'm so cool 'cause i hate Apple" bandwagon.
Have you ever seen an Apple advertisement? They're practically flinging shit. Advertisements are not something that is easy to escape, so I am more likely to form an opinion sooner or later even if I might have simply ignored a product otherwise. So for once I disagree. If Apple is going to use such obnoxious, tasteless adds which do little more than talk shit about competitors, it's only fair they be treated in kind with harsh scrutiny by their audience.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Fearzone said:
Give it up EA. He founded what we know computers to be today. He spearheaded the trend toward graphical user interfaces, and then he spearheaded the trend toward mobile computing.

Deal with it EA. You haven't spearheaded any trend toward anything except for annoying copy protection schemes.
I'm guessing you're the type of person to just read the title and then post, correct? Well then, please run along somewhere else. Because what we're talking about is Trip Hawkins, who founded EA and is no longer working with them.

OT: I've always found Apple to be an odd company. They make products based soley on stuff like touchscreens or how tiny it is.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Richard Allen said:
Busdriver580 said:

I must admit the mpb is probably the best laptop on the market, and you didn't even mention the screen, the mbp has an awesome screen. Easily the best portable computer I have ever experienced, although there are some high end competitors from Sony and the like that get close on battery life, keyboard and weight, yet the MBP is cheaper than those. Go figure.

I myself own no apple products except a copy of OSX (cheaper than windows) that I run on my old gaming PC (tri-boot with XP and Mint). For the cost of a MBP I have a kick arse Desktop Computer and a Netbook that gives great battery life and pretty much handles everything I need a portable computer for.

EDIT: If anyone wants to give me their 13" MBP I'll happily take it, the only reason I don't have one is that my budget doesn't stretch that far. Don't bother with the 15" or the 17", too big to be truely portable.

smudgey

May 8, 2008
Richard Allen said:
smudgey said:
HBaskerville said:
I think many people have an issue with how apple affects their products whether it be redic patents that should have never been granted in the first place, and then suing, or letting a developer on your platform only to change the rules after their investment is already made because of arbitrary rules that apple likes to change at a moments notice. I could care less if their shit is expensive, I care that they are preventing me from getting my galaxy s 2 because it looks to similar to iPhones. Written from my mbp, screw Steve, he is an asshole, and I could list countless stories of him walking down the hall and screaming at an employee for ahving a difference of opinion. It works for apple but it doesn't' make him any less of an asshole.
Yeah, Steve probably is an arsehole (never met him, can't honestly say, but most CEOs seem to fit into that category), but you can't really blame a company for objecting when a competitor makes a product that does looks pretty damn similar to one they themselves make. If people have a problem because they don't like the products themselves (and have actually tried them), then that's fine. But so many people just want to hate on something because it seems to be the cool thing to do.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
To be blunt, I don't hate Apple. I DO hate the Apple CULT. I've used Apple products before, although the only one I currently own is a 1st gen. iPod Touch(got it broken from a friend, fixed it, now I use it to read ebooks:).
While the MBP is a decent enough laptop, my current Asus absolutely destroys it in every aspect except battery life, which I don't care about:p
My cell phone is a Optimus 2x(bought it after Galaxy S2 came out, because Samsung has quite possibly the worst firmware update policy on the planet), and my tablet(and yes, they do have their uses, mostly on planes:) is an Iconia(that shit be AWESOME, has twice the power of an iPad, for pretty much the same price).
So...

tl;dr
Apple products aren't bad, it's just that other products do it better for same/lower price.

OT:I've got me some personal experience in this area and let me tell you, Apple=Jobs. Minute Jobs leaves/dies/ascends to a higher plane of existence by sucking all the life force of Apple cultists, Apple starts folding. Quickly.