Steve Jobs' Last Words: Oh wow, Oh wow, Oh wow

Trig0n

Nov 9, 2010
I just sort of assumed Jobs could see the future, which was how he invented things.

He took future technology that he invente- GAAAHG PARADOX HURTS MY BRAIN!

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
Vigilantis said:
Methinks he saw a future where Apple ruled the world with an iron fist
so does that mean Microsoft is actually our guardians? and Linux is really a terror organization?
Yep, ever since the 2.6 kernel came out linux has secretly been providing free processing power for terrorists. Anything is possible when Linus Torvalds is coding.

More seriously...

Zorg Machine said:
Esotera said:
He was terrible to work with, most of the ideas actually came from Apple, and he never donated to charity (only recently learned this). The creator of Lisp, and the creator C have both passed away in the last month, and they accomplished far more than Steve Jobs. Wozniak was the main brain behind Apple, and he got screwed over by Jobs.

I don't think there's any need to show respect to the dead when they behave like he did.
Your definition of whether or not someone deserves respect is wether or not they donated money and of they were pleasant to work with? Why is it a bad thing when people who have a lot of money choose to keep that money. As long as they pay their taxes it should be good that they did donate. not bad that they didn't.

Also, he was a bit of an asshole but ever Ghandi was an asshole (he was incredibly racist towards black people and slept with young girls, look it up) yet he still get's a lot of respect.

Steve Jobs was an incredible businessman who raised a company to the most valuable company in the world in one lifetime. and that company has changed the mobile industry for the better. THAT'S why we respect him.
My original post was a bit short on why I don't respect him...I'll summarise it here with a few bullet points:
- Apple factories work people to death, and they're generally not a nice environment.
- People have come forward saying he screamed at employees.
- He's more of a businessman than an actual innovator. (Nothing wrong with this, I just don't respect it as much as the guys who are actually creating the goods.)
- He let Apple engage in frivolous litigation (current one is against a small German cafe with an apple for its logo)

And probably the most important...
- His vision has popularised technology, but in a really bad way. The iPhone is a locked system. It's overpriced, has crappy specs, and there's a new one every year that is only marginally different. Apple has the final say over what programs are run on the phone, which is the absolute antithesis of what the company used to stand for.

In short, he's helped introduce computers that are overpriced, shiny, designed to be obsolete, and has told an entire generation that having very little control over what they do with their own technology is ok. Which of course, makes him a brilliant businessman, but wins little of my respect.

Hopefully that clears things up. And regarding the Gandhi point, if those are true, then he was probably an asshole, even if most people don't think so; popular opinion isn't always right.

Also when I was saying these things 6 months ago no-one cared to this extent.

Tufty94

Jul 31, 2011
hiks89 said:
Mad Stalin said:
I hope it was uttered in pain and agony, the selfish prick.
you sir, are a wanker
Esotera said:
ZeroMachine said:
Mad Stalin said:
I'm sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with you? Did he ever personally hurt you? Did he ever cause someone's death or something?

Holy fuck, show some respect for the dead.
He was terrible to work with, most of the ideas actually came from Apple, and he never donated to charity (only recently learned this). The creator of Lisp, and the creator C have both passed away in the last month, and they accomplished far more than Steve Jobs. Wozniak was the main brain behind Apple, and he got screwed over by Jobs.

I don't think there's any need to show respect to the dead when they behave like he did.
i dont donate to charity, should i die in agony?
The guy was rich, he could obviously spare the money. I found this image on 4chan, the sad thing is it's the truth.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
dyre said:
hiks89 said:
If you're worth $8 billion or w/e and you don't donate to charity, you're a dick. Not saying you should die in agony; I wouldn't even wish that on Hitler, but I certainly have little respect for the man.
Why's that? I mean, I get why rich people should donate more then other people, but that's a matter of percentages. How high a percentage of your assets did you give to charity last year? That's what you can claim a moral highground on.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Phuctifyno said:
The nerve endings in his brain were firing as he died, and some random memory of a baseball game popped into his head. It meant nothing...

...until it becomes crucially relevant when the aliens invade.

What a twist!!!
See, Citizen Kane references are great and all, but they're utterly cliché and even people who never saw the movie understand them.

Now referencing SIGNS, that's brilliant.

Aug 28, 2010
Fagotto said:
In his dying moments he found a solution to world hunger, then to global warming, and lastly he found ways to profit off of it stylishly.
Yes. Yes, I think so too. There was only the word "wow!" to describe the epiphany before he took that secret with him into death. In a good way. :D

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Esotera said:
I seem to have been misinterpreted, also was pretty tired and missed the whole "pain and agony" thing. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but I am glad that Steve Jobs is no longer with us, simply because he was a very damaging influence on technology & generally not a nice guy.

hiks89 said:
No. But if you have the money to spare (read: billionaire) then it makes you incredibly selfish.

Dr Snakeman said:
Esotera said:

He was a rich jerk... so he deserves a painful death? I'm not following your logic.

You, and especially that Mad Stalin douchebag, have a terrible attitude. A soul. Get one. Because basic human empathy is a pretty useful trait.
As above...I'm really tired and blanked out the agonising death part; wouldn't wish that on anyone. It's bad to be happy at someone dying, but not necessarily bad to be happy that they're no longer here. This isn't about the amount of money he had, it's about him treating employees terribly, and generally being arrogant as hell.

I don't see any reason to pretend that I liked the guy now that he's gone, and I think it's totally ok to point out his flaws, just like I did when he was alive. Again, apologies if my post was misconstrued.
Well, I can respect that. I still don't think he was as bad as all that, but I get the whole "don't make someone sound better than they actually were" thing.

He may have been a tool, but he was still a genius who (with a lot of help) changed the way technology works. Also, he gave this speech, which I really like:

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Caeltyr said:
See, he had just had a glimpse of his new home in heaven, where -- due to temporary restrictions of space -- he was going to be sharing a room with Moses, who recently upgraded his stone tablets ... to a couple of iPads.

I think my reaction would have been the same.
I'm sorry, I read this and I couldn't resist making this:

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow.

Also Moses is a trekkie. Who'da thought?

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
He catches a glimpse into the future in which Apple products lead to a Skynet-like system that takes over the human race. Then he has the slight, yet very warm feeling in his heart, of pride.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Nudu said:
dyre said:
hiks89 said:
If you're worth $8 billion or w/e and you don't donate to charity, you're a dick. Not saying you should die in agony; I wouldn't even wish that on Hitler, but I certainly have little respect for the man.
Why's that? I mean, I get why rich people should donate more then other people, but that's a matter of percentages. How high a percentage of your assets did you give to charity last year? That's what you can claim a moral highground on.
I donated 10% of my income to charity last year, though as a student, that amounted to only $220, if you're curious.

And it's not just a matter of percentages. It is a tremendous sacrifice for a poor person (not saying I'm a poor person, btw, but there are lower-income people who nonetheless donate) to donate 5% of his income to charity; for a rich person, not so much.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
He probably knew it wasn't going to get any better for him. Ever. Kinda sucks. Either that or he was having an epiphany of some sorts--hopefully this was it.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Hyper-space said:
ZeroMachine said:
Mad Stalin said:
I'm sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with you? Did he ever personally hurt you? Did he ever cause someone's death or something?

The dude exploited a loop-hole in california law to be able to park in handicap-spaces. He denied a long-time Apple employee stock options because he could. Then there's This ugly business of him using his money and resources to game the system when it comes to organ transplant using something called multiple-listing.

Dude was a dick.

EDIT: Oh and the Foxconn factories which Apple used to manufacture iPhones.
Yeah, I'm sure Steve Jobs was the only wealthy man in history who has used his resources and means to get the medical treatment needed to save his life. And just look at his other sins; handicapped parking, denying an employee stock options, yeah I guess you're right, the dead man doesn't deserve any respect.

Anthony Abney

Mar 16, 2011
josemlopes said:
I am disapointed that he didnt sayed anything epic. He knew that some people would be interested in knowing his last words.
maybe he did know that and just decided to troll them all in his final seconds of life

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
binnsyboy said:
Marter said:
Obviously, it was the name of his sled when he was a child.
That halloween avatar is fantastic. Childhood raping, but fantastic.

OT: Maybe when you die you see how the universe was created. Maybe he saw a large round conical bath made of ebony, full of white sand, and the plug gets pulled and all the sand drains out, only it's in reverse. (cookie for reference)
That could be something from one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, but I think it's actually something a bit more obscure: a really trippy Star Trek novel called I, Q. Am I right?

OT: I doubt there's much depth to the last words. Sounds like a man finally realizing that he was dying, not in an hour, not in a day, but right then. I think I'd be saying something similar to that or to Ghandi's last words ("My God," according to someone earlier in the thread) if I came to a realization like that, too.
You were right the first time, almost. It's from Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy in its original format as a radio drama. They're in the restaurant at the end of the universe and Ford asks Arthur if he knows how the universe began. Arthur says he doesn't, and so Ford launches into the description I paraphrased above. Arthur asks if that really is how the universe began, to which Ford replies "no, but it's a great way to relax." For the record, the voice actor for Ford was brilliant.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
binnsyboy said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
binnsyboy said:
Marter said:
Obviously, it was the name of his sled when he was a child.
That halloween avatar is fantastic. Childhood raping, but fantastic.

OT: Maybe when you die you see how the universe was created. Maybe he saw a large round conical bath made of ebony, full of white sand, and the plug gets pulled and all the sand drains out, only it's in reverse. (cookie for reference)
That could be something from one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, but I think it's actually something a bit more obscure: a really trippy Star Trek novel called I, Q. Am I right?

OT: I doubt there's much depth to the last words. Sounds like a man finally realizing that he was dying, not in an hour, not in a day, but right then. I think I'd be saying something similar to that or to Ghandi's last words ("My God," according to someone earlier in the thread) if I came to a realization like that, too.
You were right the first time, almost. It's from Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy in its original format as a radio drama. They're in the restaurant at the end of the universe and Ford asks Arthur if he knows how the universe began. Arthur says he doesn't, and so Ford launches into the description I paraphrased above. Arthur asks if that really is how the universe began, to which Ford replies "no, but it's a great way to relax." For the record, the voice actor for Ford was brilliant.
Ah. I knew I recognized it from something voiced. My copy of I, Q is one of those semi-dramatized audiobooks with sound effects in Dolby Surround, read by John De Lancie himself. I've also listened to the original H2G2 dramas a few times, hence why I recognized the line.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Mad Stalin said:

Why? Would disrespect him in life, all of a sudden death should give a guy a free pass?