Steve Jobs Steals GDC Thunder with iPad 2 Announcement

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
iPad who?

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over my fevered screams of "HOLY FUCK, NEW 3D MARIO! WITH TANUKI SUIT! AND NETFLIX? FUCK A DUCK, THIS IS SOME PURE MYSTICAL WIZARD SHIT RIGHT HERE! WHERE IS MYAMOTO? I NEED TO GIVE HIM ALL OF MY MONEY. GOOD THING I DIDN'T WASTE IT ON THAT OVERSIZED iPHONE NO ONE CARES ABOUT ANYMORE."

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
I wont even bother to go in an anti-apple rant, because in the end, people are gonna buy it. If it makes 'em happy, let 'em have it, I'm not the one that's gonna be shelling out that cash.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
why dont they just release an ipad or any product THAT HAS EVERY FEATURE YOU NEED TO BEGIN WITH? but no, they have to release the same product thats already been bested by another product that came out a year ago, and just give it more memory (thats usually fixed) and just whore on it.

it not even that im an apple hater, im not, i just hate it when its so obvious that a company is just scamming people for a profit and NO ONE REALIZES IT!

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Pah, no USB, no Flash, out dated before it's even released. The Android equivalent already has HD camcorder, as well as a hdmi output, dual core processors 10 hour + battery life. Sorry Apple you have missed the bus on this one, BIG time.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Pretty cool, I guess. Now just squeeze that new processor into the iPhone for me and I'll buy that instead.

playinthedark

Feb 15, 2010
iPad1 has no multitasking, camera, usb slots, video out/in, Flash support - has a sub-standard processor, pitiful battery life, requires endless bloody adapters and is in NO WAY a replacement for a laptop or a home computer. Its a gimmick item, and not even a convenient one at that.

Will iPad2 fix any of this? Yes... cameras... big wacky-doo.

And before you call me a hater - I have two iMacs sitting on my desk, and they're wonderful for the work I do. They're good solid dependable machines, and proven their worth beyond the hype. iPad is a lackluster device with zero redeeming qualities. If it takes four generations of the machine to get to what should be standard in the first release, that's not innovation, its a scam.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I lucked out and got a hand-me-down iPad. It's my favorite computer away from my computer. I mostly use it for browsing from bed or watching streaming video.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Does Linux do OS's for smartphones or tablets? I'm no longer taken with Google, but I'd like a smartphone at some point without the moral ambiguity..

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"but I find it frustrating that Apple spends its cycles catering to the top 2% of the richest people in the world instead of trying to create affordable devices that the middle class can actually use"
Indeed, overpriced on a massive scale and nowhere near actual cutting edge either.
It's always been like that with them, so nothing new.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Well, I'm glad they're not adding anything drastic to the design, as I don't think George (my iPad) could take the shame of being so outclassed by his kin.

Since I'm not a PC gamer (until I finish building my desktop (who will be called Oliver)), my only regular uses of a computer have been happily met by George. It's very comfortable to dance around the house with, and lacks the fuss my laptop so often kicks up.

Being nearly a year into this relationship, I'm very happy with my purchase. Between George, my 360, PS3, and craptop, I can safely say it's my most used device in the day-to-day.

Thank you George, no camera wielding show-off will ever replace you,
in my heart.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
littlewisp said:
KarmicToast said:
I don't know Virgil, it is called the NEWS FEED after all. This is also called THE NEWS ROOM. And as I just finished responding to someone else, I know that authors present their opinions. I just feel that it is best done in moderation. This sort of negativity is too pervasive.
I always figured it was called the news room because it highlights interesting new stuff that pops up. Stuff related to games or the nerd sphere. I come to the escapist because I find it entertaining, and this 'news' area is, imo, also here to entertain.

I don't feel any claims were ever made that this stuff is fair to the subject presented, which is why I think it's okay that bias does fill some of these threads. If I am interested in one of the news topics, I go to other sources to get unbiased views. I think that's okay.
I agree with you, but where does (as Virgil mentioned) CNN say that it is "fair to the subject presented?" It doesn't, because the word news carries with it a connotation. Virgil's argument is that The Escapist never claimed to be news. My argument is that it has, does, and will. I also find it entertaining - most of the time. But on a site where thousands of people read the word "news" and see "articles" and watch "live coverage" I think it is safe for them to assume they are getting news. Therefore, when lopsided opinionated pieces make it into the "news feed" and get discussed in "the news room" I think it is unfair to whatever that particular author randomly decides to insult. Even my local paper has a counter-point section for editorials. The Escapist covers every piece of actual news and brands it arbitrarily with the view points of whatever arbitrarily chosen "reporter" or as I suppose they would call themselves "editorialist" is available. These people attend new conferences, gain press access, and offer interviews. Some sort of journalistic code should be in place.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
KarmicToast said:
littlewisp said:
KarmicToast said:
I don't know Virgil, it is called the NEWS FEED after all. This is also called THE NEWS ROOM. And as I just finished responding to someone else, I know that authors present their opinions. I just feel that it is best done in moderation. This sort of negativity is too pervasive.
I always figured it was called the news room because it highlights interesting new stuff that pops up. Stuff related to games or the nerd sphere. I come to the escapist because I find it entertaining, and this 'news' area is, imo, also here to entertain.

I don't feel any claims were ever made that this stuff is fair to the subject presented, which is why I think it's okay that bias does fill some of these threads. If I am interested in one of the news topics, I go to other sources to get unbiased views. I think that's okay.
I agree with you, but where does (as Virgil mentioned) CNN say that it is "fair to the subject presented?" It doesn't, because the word news carries with it a connotation. Virgil's argument is that The Escapist never claimed to be news. My argument is that it has, does, and will. I also find it entertaining - most of the time. But on a site where thousands of people read the word "news" and see "articles" and watch "live coverage" I think it is safe for them to assume they are getting news. Therefore, when lopsided opinionated pieces make it into the "news feed" and get discussed in "the news room" I think it is unfair to whatever that particular author randomly decides to insult. Even my local paper has a counter-point section for editorials. The Escapist covers every piece of actual news and brands it arbitrarily with the view points of whatever arbitrarily chosen "reporter" or as I suppose they would call themselves "editorialist" is available. These people attend new conferences, gain press access, and offer interviews. Some sort of journalistic code should be in place.
I know that this will probably rub you up the wrong way but for atleast some of us on here, we use the BBC for news and then come to The Escapist for interesting editorials and their take on the news. This site is not a news site, it even has "magazine" in the website address, they are here to entertain, they do a good job at it too!

May I ask, would you prefer it if nobody interpreted the news in any way, so that every single article everywhere on the internet would read "iPad 2 announced, minor upgrades included." and that is it?

DarkPegasus333

Mar 21, 2010
I don't know what it is exactly, but every time I hear (or read) "iPad" I feel the need to take a shower. Don't misunderstand me. I've owned and used my share of Apple devices, and they're pretty slick...but there's just something about the iPad that makes me feel icky.

Perhaps because it sounds like it would be a trendy feminine hygene product (is there an app for that?).

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Ill throw this out there, I hate Apple and all Apple products. I never have nor ever will buy an Apple product. My PC I built is better than all Macs, My HTC Desire HD is better than an iPhone and the iPad is pointless.

OT: One of my lecturers has an iPad, and he had a keyboard attached to it on some dock thing. When I asked him "If you are using a keyboard, why not just get a laptop?", he had no answer. But I can guarentee he will go and get an iPad 2 the day it is released. Apple is just the popular thing to buy at the moment, you can show-off you iPhone or you Mac-book or look like a tool on the bus with an iPad. But there are much better products out there.

nifedj

Nov 12, 2009
I wouldn't have a use for it personally but this was pretty decent as new versions go. 9 times the graphics capabilities, connecting to an HDTV, and the smart cover/stand are all nice.

As far as keeping with the market goes, I'd rather see Apple go for new things as opposed to trying to mimic other devices. I mean, why put USB on an iPad when you could have Thunderbolt?

At the end of the day, it's a well made product and though Apple gets mocked for placing importance on design, clearly some people appreciate it.

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
OMG nobody cares anymore. Steve jobs is getting more and more like the crazy guy next door that's constantly wanting to show you "interesting" things.
Seriously so sick of this dillusional iPad Steve Jobs must rule the world vibe they have going on.
Just do everyone a favor Apple and shut up for a little while so our saturation levels can subside.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Braedan said:
Cryo84R said:
Talk about an even handed and non biased news report.
Oh well, haters gonna hate. It's not like they sold 15 million in 9 months.
Uh, when was the escapist ever a mainstream media website? I keep seeing this on any news post even slightly for or against anything. Would you prefer your news like this:

New Ipod
- Ipod2 announced
- 0.2 Lbs lighter
- 1ghz dual core processor
- Same price

Greg Tito
because I don't think I would come here if this is how it was. Real people have differing opinions.

OT: Apple will be Apple and continually price gouge people who are too dumb to know better.
He was just looking for an excuse to call people haters on apple, since most of the posts I see him make are as such.

Anyway, saw this coming.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I've hated apple ever since I first saw that stupid ass circle thing on the ipod. But some of their stuff seems genuinely stupid. Like who the hell wanted to buy an ipod with less memory and no control over songs? And now they just re-released the same thing, and a bunch of stupid hipsters will buy it again just to feel smug

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Pilkingtube said:
KarmicToast said:
littlewisp said:
KarmicToast said:

I know that this will probably rub you up the wrong way but for atleast some of us on here, we use the BBC for news and then come to The Escapist for interesting editorials and their take on the news. This site is not a news site, it even has "magazine" in the website address, they are here to entertain, they do a good job at it too!

May I ask, would you prefer it if nobody interpreted the news in any way, so that every single article everywhere on the internet would read "iPad 2 announced, minor upgrades included." and that is it?
I won't argue this any further than this: Regardless of what you say or justify, this is a news site. There is a news tab, news feed, news room, live coverage, interviews, etc. and it is a website. It is a news site. And yes, I can interpret news just fine on my own. And if I want someone else's opinion, that's what the forums are for.