Stolen Pixels #188: Test Your Shooter-IQ!

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Shamus: Some people are suggesting that the upcoming Xcom game (yes I'm still on about that) will have all this great base-building strategy, weapons research, and financial management between missions. You know, I really hate you people for getting my hopes up like this. I was content to just make fun of the idea and move on, but now you've planted this image of something new and interesting in my head. Now when they come out with: "Xcom: Generic Agent shoots alien dudes from behind chest-high walls in brown corridors" I'll be crushed. So, thanks for setting me up for that.
Hey, no problem, Shamus. It's just our way of giving back :)

Tarik94

Sep 13, 2008
alternative D on the second question was such a burn on nearly every modern FPS out there!

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
randommaster said:
As far as the comic goes, Shamus has to make several every week, so sometimes he'll miss the mark. I have faith that Shamus will stop moping about X-com and return to the regularly scheduled program soon.
I've watched all of them except the hour long one.
Half expected this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0PaPpmGa8] video to be one of the links :(

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
You are not being fair to Fallout 3 on this. Apologize, or I will put you on my black list of "people who mess with Fallout 3".

That list is going to 47, once I have the money.
Actually:

- Brown corridors. Check.
The post-apocalyptic setting provides a colour range mostly found in the grey to brown spectrum (except Oasis, but that's just the exception to most of the game).

- Generic main character. Check.
So generic you can change their appearance however you like and it won't impact the story.

- Preposterous yet lame story. Check.
Water purifying as an objective? Laser weapons? Power armour? Ending that kills you no matter what you choose, even if you have a character that could fix that at no cost?

See? It fits Shamus' depiction perfectly.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Silva said:
Tiamat666 said:
You are not being fair to Fallout 3 on this. Apologize, or I will put you on my black list of "people who mess with Fallout 3".

Actually:

The post-apocalyptic setting provides a colour range mostly found in the grey to brown spectrum (except Oasis, but that's just the exception to most of the game).

So generic you can change their appearance however you like and it won't impact the story.

Water purifying as an objective? Laser weapons? Power armour? Ending that kills you no matter what you choose, even if you have a character that could fix that at no cost?

*scribbles something on his black list*

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Flour said:
randommaster said:
As far as the comic goes, Shamus has to make several every week, so sometimes he'll miss the mark. I have faith that Shamus will stop moping about X-com and return to the regularly scheduled program soon.
I've watched all of them except the hour long one.
Half expected this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0PaPpmGa8] video to be one of the links :(
I was going to use it, but it's ten minutes long and is pretty much just a bunch of nico video memes. it's a cool video, but like this video, [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-8VV_zZSA&feature=PlayList&p=68828BF46B485CC3&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=28] it's not nearly as cool or funny if you're not familiar with all the things that are in it. I can call someone a 9 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Cx16JoWnw&feature=related] all day, but it's not funny if I have to explain it. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle0t9r68ih?from=Main.DontExplainTheJoke]

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
To be fair Shamus, "original" doesn't necessarily mean "better" to the casual gamer. How generic a game is is only going to matter if you've played other games like it. Not everyone has.

Mind you, I'm definitely not a part of that casual category, so I'm as sick of the "brown shooter" as you are. Hopefully developers will get over the cardboard "dark-and-edgy" style we've seen so much of lately.

Tiamat666 said:
Silva said:
Tiamat666 said:

Actually:

*scribbles something on his black list*
While you've played it and know all this, I should be careful not to discourage people from playing that game. There are some excellent things about Fallout 3, despite its superficially generic nature.

The humour is one thing. Seriously, half of the game is made to be amusing. The characters are particularly quirky (as you'd expect if nukes were to destroy most of life), like the Church of Atom, which worships the atomic bomb because they supposedly "create new universes" each time that they explode.

The freedom is another. I mean, you can run in a straight line for at least an hour from top to bottom of the map and you still won't reach the other end of the map. You'll also probably stop about ten times for various discoveries.

The last thing is the little stories you can come across if you read into how the environment is put together, similar to in BioShock. I'll never forget that one time I randomly came across two skeletons on an old bed, holding each other's hands as a radio played a distress signal nearby.

Essentially, I actually really liked the game and played it for 300+ hours, even though it's a fair point to make fun of it for not really being totally original. Maybe the original Fallout was original, way back when it came out, so this is all about perspective.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Silva said:
While you've played it and know all this, I should be careful not to discourage people from playing that game. There are some excellent things about Fallout 3, despite its superficially generic nature.
*strikes a name from his black list*

I agree that there have been alot of "wasteland" settings lately. And you know, if you've seen one wasteland, you've seen them all. But I don't agree with Fallout 3 falling into the "generic wasteland shooter" category, because for me, Fallout 3 is not a generic shooter. Mainly, because it's not a shooter.

Shooting around just happens to be the main way combat and arguments are resolved in Fallout 3, but it's not a defining element of the game, as in a true FPS. As many critics pointed out, the "FPS element" of Fallout 3 is actually one of the weakest points of the game. Before being a shooter, Fallout 3 is a roleplaying game, a sandbox game, an exploration game, an adventure game, and only after all of this, it's a shooter.

As a matter of fact, I think it is entirely possible to finish the main storyline and almost all sidequests (notable exception: "You've gotta shoot them in the head") without fireing a single shot.

starlight2098

Jul 19, 2008
Omikron009 said:
FALLOUT 3 IS NOT A SHOOTER! AAAAARRRGHHH!!
Any game where they make me aim the bloody gun is a shooter. In an RPG that's the character's job, not mine.

Tiamat666 said:
Shooting around just happens to be the main way combat and arguments are resolved in Fallout 3, but it's not a defining element of the game, as in a true FPS. As many critics pointed out, the "FPS element" of Fallout 3 is actually one of the weakest points of the game. Before being a shooter, Fallout 3 is a roleplaying game, a sandbox game, an exploration game, an adventure game, and only after all of this, it's a shooter.
Couldn't agree with you more.

MikeTheMugger

May 6, 2010
After the brilliant slug-fest that was Call of Duty Modern Warfare; I have to say that I am very disappointed with what has happened to the series. I won't mention Black ops in too much detail. It was a spec-ops game about very noisy and clumsy battles. When you make a game titled "black ops" you expect there to be stealth, and there was only one or two stealth based missions in the entire game. Even these were far too short. The game had no tact or sense of pacing, it just puked one bullet storm in your face after another. Sadly, every title they have released since the first modern warfare has fallen further and further from the tree.