Stolen Pixels #231: The History of Civilization, Part 2

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #231: The History of Civilization, Part 2

With this, we enter the Dark Ages of Civilization.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Mines nto crashesd yet and play it for nigh on 60 Hours+ now.

Love it myself, and Ghandi scares me - I just wanna make peace and he sends nukes to me! ;o

And yay for Dark ages!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Was scared of Civ due to its complexity in the other versions. This one seemed a bit easier to manage. So i bought it last night on Steam. I started the game around 8:30pm, about 20 minutes later it was 11:51pm. yeh i'd say its quite the good game this Civ 5 XD

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Haven't had a crash either yet, tho i must say around industrial era on larger maps it takes more time for my PC to process the AI turns than it takes me to manage 8 cities. Still waiting for patches and expansions, after all it's been the case with every Civ that they get their awesome status only after about a year or two of fixing the initial release.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I don't hate the new Civ as much as I'm ambivalent to it. It's still Civ, and you still research the same stuff, get the same units, race to build all the wonders you can, improve your lands, etc. There's some new stuff and some old stuff in there. But the game seems to have tried so hard to lose any extra weight and streamline itself that I fear it may have just pushed itself into blandness. After finishing one full game of it (Space victory, of course, the only one that counts IMO) I don't feel the need to play it any more. There's just not much that can go differently. I'd research the same tech, improve the cities in largely the same way and the whole thing would go more or less the same way it does every time. There's just not much replay value. Granted, I felt mostly the same about most Civ games...

I think I'll go install Alpha Centauri now. THAT was a good Civ game. So many ways it can play out, so many ways to build and focus your development. It was just a deeper game than almost any regular Civ game...

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
What we learn from this comic, save regularly and Dont Fuck with the Ghandi!

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Dark Ages = Crashing History. That's just funny - I don't think the point has anything to do with the propensity for the game to actually crash.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I think the fact that so many people are pissed at Civ V is a testament to how good Civ IV is. Civ IV added a lot of flavor to the game that was stripped away in Civ V, and people always get pissed if you remove stuff from games.

I like Civ V but I do think that it has been dumbed down a lot, except for the combat. But I'm not worried because Civ V is ultra-moddable and I'm sure it won't take long until Civ V is spiced up for those of us who like a more complex Civ-experience.

illiterate

Sep 10, 2008
I just want to backport civ5 combat to civ3 somehow. The rest of it I could do without.

It's pretty, though.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I know its going to happen as soon as I post this but mine has only crashed once, the first time I went to run it. I've noticed the same happening with other Steam games so I just brushed it off as start up pains. Since then it hasn't crashed for me, even when I alt+tab (which tends to break a great many games).

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
Tiamat666 said:
I think the fact that so many people are pissed at Civ V is a testament to how good Civ IV is. Civ IV added a lot of flavor to the game that was stripped away in Civ V, and people always get pissed if you remove stuff from games.
Sadly, such fanboys obviously never heard Sid Meier talk about game design and Civilization. He's specifically stated that if you keep adding features, after a few iterations you would have a game so complex that no new people can ever play it, because there's too much to learn. So while he always adds and innovates to every game, he also trims out parts of the game deemed unnecessary, so that by Civ10, you don't have to take a few semesters in graduate school to play it.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
DTWolfwood said:
Was scared of Civ due to its complexity in the other versions. This one seemed a bit easier to manage. So i bought it last night on Steam. I started the game around 8:30pm, about 20 minutes later it was 11:51pm. yeh i'd say its quite the good game this Civ 5 XD
Welcome to our dream. Welcome to our nightmare.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
This is proof that Civ hasn't changed too much.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
But if we don't complain about Civilisation 5 what will we complain about? First step you give in to different interface next thing you know you live in a police state! To arms brethren!

[sub][sub]Disclaimer: I didn't actually play it and don't care one way or another.[/sub][/sub]

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
in one play trough i was placed RIGHT next to ghandi, and a city state just above us, another city state (which served also as a "frontier" between me and suleiman and rome) asked that we destroyed the former one, so i created some army, and attacked, by this time Ghandi and me were with our borders relativelly one on top of the other, but neither had "sailing"

i capture the former city state, and ghandi goes ahead and starts being insulted and all, this was my first game, and i thought "yeah *****, what are you gonna do about it!?" and in the next turn he had 5 catapults, a bunch of spear men, and well, some "elephants"? i dont know what they are called, havent gottem them my self

so, yeah, i was like "O SHIII..."

good thing he didnt went "all out war" on me, but i was "compelled" to agree to everything he asked from that point onward, haha.

Apr 28, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Yeah, that happens. A lot.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
The demo crashed on me twice, so I can imagine the frustration of actually having the game.