Stolen Pixels #231: The History of Civilization, Part 2

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
The outcries from both of those parties are so annoying, I love it but I don't understand why people get angry at another person's opinion and insult them for it, of course that could apply to anything.

I count myself quite lucky that I've never had a crash problem with Civ V.

Edit: I have a feeling a lot of the complaints levelled at Civ V for being dumbed down is that people have toruble seperating Civ IV once it was fully expanded and vanilla Civ IV. The vanilla versions of both aren't remarkably different in terms of complexity, Civ V just LOOKS less complex.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Ghandi is pretty much the running joke of the Civ series. I bet Sid Meier's totally in on this.

I love playing as Augustus, and breaking the world under the heel of my all-powerful Legions.

And I hate Darius and the Persians more than Ghandi at the moment.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
crotalidian said:
What we learn from this comic, save regularly and Dont Fuck with the Ghandi!
You don't need to save to protect from crashes. The game auto-saves every X turns (default 10) and keep Y saves (default 5).

It crashed on me a couple of times (it seems to be more stable on 7 than on XP), but you just need to load the last autosave.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
It crashed so many times on my laptop :(
Makes me sad, almost sad enough to a have an undead Ghandi negotiate the release of a patch with Firaxis (and possibly burn the place down in the process)...
Something for the next comic perhaps: the goddamn AI. Barbarian ships happily sail near my cities until they are destroyed, workers build farms only to tear them down and build mines instead, the other players have units wander between two places every turn, and they just won't fuckin' relent with their offers of peace, and trade, and not burning down orphanages...

megalomania

Apr 14, 2009
Jaredin said:
Mines nto crashesd yet and play it for nigh on 60 Hours+ now.

Love it myself, and Ghandi scares me - I just wanna make peace and he sends nukes to me! ;o

And yay for Dark ages!
You have tempted the Microsoft Gremlins; your game will inevitable crash next time you play!

Ghandi never bothered me, but whenever I play on a challenging difficulty I pray to all of the Gods that Montezuma isn't going to show up near me; he always attacks even to the detriment of both of us!

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Right something hasnt happened to mine yet i cant say what it is or it will do.But you guys know what i mean.

Was rather funny just wish you did more windows so pretty much all i am saying is i want more that must be a good thing

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
My biggest issue with the Civ series has always been the diplomacy as the AI players always seem to want an arm and a leg when all they are willing to give you is fingernail clippings unless you are in an position of overwhelming power. And by overwhelming power I of course mean having taken everyone of their cities and have surrounded and ready to take their capital.

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
Honestly I find the whole Civ 5 crashing thing to be part of why I'm loving it thus far, as I spent several years playing the original Civ despite it's tendency to either crash or completely freeze up on me. Ahhhh nostalgia, how you burden me so.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Yeah; Civ V crashes constantly for me; when I fire up the DX10 version it crashes about 5 seconds after I start playing a map, even though my graphics card should support it; and when I run the DX9 version it still has a tendency to crash once in a while, which usually means it will crash after 3 to 5 straight hours of gaming without saves.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Oh yes does it ever crash a lot. Not that I wouldn't make a million saves in a civ game, but now it's actually a requirement.

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
oneplus999 said:
DTWolfwood said:
Was scared of Civ due to its complexity in the other versions. This one seemed a bit easier to manage. So i bought it last night on Steam. I started the game around 8:30pm, about 20 minutes later it was 11:51pm. yeh i'd say its quite the good game this Civ 5 XD
Welcome to our dream. Welcome to our nightmare.
Slighty off topic, but would you say Civ is more engaging online?
I've never had the urge to play online on a civ game...

Aliens from Mars

Apr 7, 2010
illiterate said:
I just want to backport civ5 combat to civ3 somehow. The rest of it I could do without.

It's pretty, though.
Unfortunately that wouldn't work because you'd need the hexes and one unit per tile, which is the major change from Civ 3. Civ 3 wouldn't be Civ 3 without roads on every tile in your territory and stacks of 20 workers that can improve a mountain in one turn.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
It's funny, I know catagorically that Civ IV is the better game in every respect except graphics/warfare but for some reason it bores the shit out of me while Civ 5 enthralls me. I guess it's because there's a lot less dead turns in CIv 5.

It's unforgivable however that the game shipped without hot-seat or... you know... an actual turn based mode for multiplayer. Simultaneous turns are great right up until the fighting begins. The interface (also vastly inferior to Civ iv's) simply isn't good enough to support the click click clickedy click of simulturn warfare. Nothing compares to the rage of seeing your army of horsemen getting decimated by enemy archers because at the begining of the turn the camera zoomed away to the otherside of the map so you could tell a worker what colour underwear he should put on today. It's a massive shame because the new combat system? Fuckin' awesome.

No multiplayer for me until Pitboss/turn based gameplay is restored.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I havn't had any crashing issues although there have been a few graphical hicups here and there, but nothing that would keep me from enjoying the game.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Jaredin said:
Mines nto crashesd yet and play it for nigh on 60 Hours+ now.

Love it myself, and Ghandi scares me - I just wanna make peace and he sends nukes to me! ;o

And yay for Dark ages!
If you can play more than 20 turns in strategic map mode, I shall congratulate you on being one lucky son of a city-state.