Stolen Pixels #231: The History of Civilization, Part 2

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
Yeha Civ 5 crashes all the time with I play it in DX 10/11 mode. I mean it crashes the whole computer and forces a reboot.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
To be honest, the differences between Civilization IV and Civilization V have created an awkward conundrum for me. Both of them seem equally good, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Civilization IV has better non-combat features and complete content (meaning I don't have to wait for any more expansions), while Civilization V seems to have a more user-friendly interface and better combat options.

I just can't make up my mind which one I should get...

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
I LOVE trading with Ghandi he always has resources and is a terrible negotiator. I always get what I want from him, every single time.

Also use Direct 9, the other ones are broken lol.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Mine hasn't crashed yet, but it runs terribly just because my laptop can't handle it that well. Might have been cause I played the Huge World map right off the bat, that caused alot of chugging.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I like the historical scenarios for just that reason. I realize they made the game specifically for modders but i would have prefered if they would have pre packaged several historical scenarios with it, or hell future ones i don't care i just want realistic type scenarios. I mean on earth mod its near impossible for me to conquer the same land as the roman empire in just a few turns without completely neglecting everything besides that.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Playing with DX9 the game has crashed exactly once for me. It was towards the end of a big game, where I had just started working on the Manhattan Project, and everyone else was trembling at the feet of my fasci...* cough *...autocratic empire. It bugged me a bit that I didn't get to nuke what was left of my enemies, but as I said: the game was pretty much over at that point. No big deal.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
Samus, you don't know the half of it when it comes to people being idiots over civ 5.

I saw a thread on civfanatics asking why he needed to install "this steam virus"

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
I really liked Civilization when I was younger. But after experiencing the history and complexity that is the Europa Universalis series I'm not sure that I could go back. Enjoy though!

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
The Ambrosian said:
Slighty off topic, but would you say Civ is more engaging online?
I've never had the urge to play online on a civ game...
I've tried a few times with friends. Never versus each other, only us versus the computer. I haven't done this yet with Civ5, but in Civ4, it ended up running really slowly, so I largely gave up on multiplayer. I'm not sure if we ever actually made it through an entire game, since usually we'd get tired of it or one of us would get too busy to find the time to play more. I did think it was more fun than solo, so I'm hoping it doesn't slow the game down so much in Civ5. Make sure it's someone who can handle the same difficulty as you, and understands the concept of taking quick turns!

Justin Carr

Sep 30, 2010
oneplus999 said:
The Ambrosian said:
Slighty off topic, but would you say Civ is more engaging online?
I've never had the urge to play online on a civ game...
I've tried a few times with friends. Never versus each other, only us versus the computer. I haven't done this yet with Civ5, but in Civ4, it ended up running really slowly, so I largely gave up on multiplayer. I'm not sure if we ever actually made it through an entire game, since usually we'd get tired of it or one of us would get too busy to find the time to play more. I did think it was more fun than solo, so I'm hoping it doesn't slow the game down so much in Civ5. Make sure it's someone who can handle the same difficulty as you, and understands the concept of taking quick turns!
I remember doing some play-by-email games with a good friend. We'd write elaborate emails detailing the histories and political manuevers for each turn. At the beginning, it would be the 'mythology' of our civilization, then 'historical documents', fictional quotes from speeches of the Great People, and finally some RP between the two of us. It was quite fun. Like when my Americans discovered Confucianism, we called it "Franklinism" and threw in saying from the both of individuals during the game.

As soon as he gets Civ V (he's going to college in the Netherlands right now, so he doesn't know when he'll get a chance to buy it), we've made plans to start doing it again.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well Civ5 isn't the first Civ to use the crashing to windows exploit in its own version of the Dark Ages. Glad to see it is keeping up the tradition. One wonders if this crash happens after you beat Gandhi, so he destroys the world out of anger and being a whiny *****.
HentMas said:
in one play trough i was placed RIGHT next to ghandi, and a city state just above us, another city state (which served also as a "frontier" between me and suleiman and rome) asked that we destroyed the former one, so i created some army, and attacked, by this time Ghandi and me were with our borders relativelly one on top of the other, but neither had "sailing"

i capture the former city state, and ghandi goes ahead and starts being insulted and all, this was my first game, and i thought "yeah *****, what are you gonna do about it!?" and in the next turn he had 5 catapults, a bunch of spear men, and well, some "elephants"? i dont know what they are called, havent gottem them my self

so, yeah, i was like "O SHIII..."

good thing he didnt went "all out war" on me, but i was "compelled" to agree to everything he asked from that point onward, haha.
So now your tag is, "Ghandi's *****?" Most amusing.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
HentMas said:
in one play trough i was placed RIGHT next to ghandi, and a city state just above us, another city state (which served also as a "frontier" between me and suleiman and rome) asked that we destroyed the former one, so i created some army, and attacked, by this time Ghandi and me were with our borders relativelly one on top of the other, but neither had "sailing"

i capture the former city state, and ghandi goes ahead and starts being insulted and all, this was my first game, and i thought "yeah *****, what are you gonna do about it!?" and in the next turn he had 5 catapults, a bunch of spear men, and well, some "elephants"? i dont know what they are called, havent gottem them my self

so, yeah, i was like "O SHIII..."

good thing he didnt went "all out war" on me, but i was "compelled" to agree to everything he asked from that point onward, haha.
Gandhi's unique unit is the war elephant. It owns face.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
I am a thrall in the blood war over at civfanatics.com civilization forums, and I have never seen any of them make a statement as hateful as this:

Thanks for making the internet a little more stupid, guys. Allow me to take this opportunity to vomit on you on behalf of everyone else. I'd love to see how you guys would behave if you found yourselves in a situation where you cared about something that actually matters.
Neither have I seen particularly many who goes all ad hominem on their opponent, as you accuse them of. Given the average daily visitors to the site, that is pretty good.

Now, there are many people who criticize Civ V for being a dumbed down piece of RTS crap, but the whole concept of a forum is to exchange ideas, and being able to criticize is really fundamental to this.