Stolen Pixels #239: After After Curfew, Pt. 3

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
GUYWITHAGUN said:
Grey Carter said:
Oh God. The fucking Cradle.
elvor0 said:
Oh christ not the orphanage, that place was fucking horrible, I never want to go back there, scary. as. fuck.
Exterminas said:
I still can't go to the cradle today.
Agreed, especially since theres no way to actually KILL them, except the holy water. Creepy ass shit.
As far as i remember, you could kill them with tons of flash bombs and fire arrows, but that was sooo expensive. : /

GUYWITHAGUN

Apr 3, 2010
Pipotchi said:
donutsftw said:
For me, Ravenholm was scary as hell the first I played through it and didn't know what to expect (the fact that I wasn't as good at FPSs st the time helped). As for "that level" in Thief 3, I didn't find it all that scary, since the level didn't really alter the gameplay that much. I was very slow and cautious on all the levels, and ran at the first trouble, and if you play "that level" this way it's just not as scary since you aren't forced to make quick decisions.

My scariest moment in gaming has to be the first extended action sequence in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Seriously, my hands were all shaking and sweaty by the time I beat it, and you could have heard my heart beating from across the room.
Was that the one where you have to escape your hotel room, dashing from room to room and hitting the locks?
nah, that level wasn't scary, it was exiting, but not scary. cuz they were humans. the REAL shit stirring moments was when you were in the sewers with the ghost of the girl because there was SOMETHING there and it sure as hell was. not. human.

NnyTheV

Aug 1, 2009
Looks like someones much too genre savvy O.O
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathByGenreSavviness

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Shamus Young said:
And if you played the game, you know what level I'm talking about.
Oh God yes. I still get little shivers thinking about it. Really, I only need to say two words... The Door.

[small]Seriously, I made a video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srDSPtKZhfk] and wrote a World of Warcraft-based crossover story [http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4574349/1/bCradle_b_of_bFear_b] about the Cradle. I'd say it made an impression on me.[/small]

krellen said:
Admit it. You still freak out when you hear the Poison Headcrab gurgle.
I don't remember who it was or where I read it, but someone did a scientific measurement of a gamer's heart rate during a playthrough of Ravenholm. At one point, upon hearing the telltale rattle of a venomcrab (my little name for them), the gamer's heartrate went up to 117 beats per minute. In comparison, a study of people prone to panic attacks found that an attack raised the sufferer's heartrate to an average of 102 BPM. Valve knows how to play with our heads.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Loving the Thief III reference. First thing I thought of when reading "scariest videogame moments"

War-hamster

Apr 5, 2010
Scrythe said:
Shame on you, Young, for not mentioning the hotel part on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Everyone else who knows what I'm talking about, I apologize for giving you all a sleepness night tonight.
Oh my, the hotel... Scared me shitless the first time I played it. I've been playing VtM so much though that I think I can seriously finish that level with my eyes closed.