Stolen Pixels #241: The Gaming Afterlife

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #241: The Gaming Afterlife

When gamers die, where do they go?

Read Full Article

Rhythm

Sep 17, 2008
I'm in the middle of a terrible day and that comic put a smile across my dejected face. Thank you Mr Young, thank you.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
This is great! Props Shamus for the extra funny comic today.

Commander Shepard, can I punch you in the dick? Sure thing!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Yes, I realize that BioWare made both lists. For the same thing. If you've ever played a BioWare game, then you know what I'm talking about.
No, I do not know what you're talking about. Bioware writes better dialogue than any of the other companies you've mentioned, period.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
Jandau said:
Yes, I realize that BioWare made both lists. For the same thing. If you've ever played a BioWare game, then you know what I'm talking about.
No, I do not know what you're talking about. Bioware writes better dialogue than any of the other companies you've mentioned, period.
He was taking a jab at the Dialog Tree, or in the case of mass Effect 2, the Dialog Wheel.

Despite there being three answer choices, end result is getting punched in the nuts. For all the great voice acting, when it comes to choices, there really is not right answer to taking a left hook to the jewels.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Revelo said:
Shamus, you are hereby King of the Escapist for today. Thank you for a very funny and true comic. =D
No joke! May have been my favorite Stolen Pixels EVER! This is absolutely hysterical!

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
One of the best stolen pixels for a good long time...

(And as an Englishman, I can confirm our cooking is bland, especially compared to Italian cooking)

Apr 28, 2008
Jandau said:
Some of their choice options are stupid as all hell. Sometimes you can't even choose if you want to do something or not, but only how much you want to do something. And sometimes they just drop the ball and make you go "what the fuck Bioware?"

Examples(SPOILERS!)

- The Rachni queen: Release a potentially dangerous animal who's kind nearly killed everyone into the wild or kill an entire species. The logical choice would be to alert the council and let them deal with it.

- The start of ME2: Why would you work for Cerberus? In the first game they're set up as evil, vile assholes who are responsible for releasing Thresher Maws on a human colony. And as my Shepard had the "sole survivor" background, that Thresher Maw moment was most likely THE defining moment in his life, the reason he is what he is today. And you don't even get the option to ask why the hell he did it. He just goes on with the conversation with the Illusive Man, the man responsible for it all mind you, like nothing ever happened.

- The end of ME2: Destroy the station or give it to the Illusive Man. Ok, both have their pro's and cons. But when you choose to destroy it, out of all the great reasons for why you should destroy it, Shepard picks the dumbest, most cliché answer he can. "I won't let fear compromise who I am". Really? You pick that instead of all the other great reasons for blowing it up?

- The Council: Especially in ME2. You saved their lives, you gave them undeniable proof that the Reapers exist, hell you have your own Geth that tells them "it was not Geth technology", and they still deny everything. Despite all you proofed, despite all the struggles you went through, they still won't believe anything you say. Even after you save their ungrateful asses.

OT: Oh, and the gameplay and multiplayer is done by Free Radical, the guys who made Timesplitters.

Brother Pain

Dec 17, 2008
As funny as reusing Bioware there, I'd replace both Obsidian and Bioware with Bethesda in the Hell comic. But it'd be less fun I guess.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Heh, nice idea for a comic. I think Square Enix makes great stories, though. >.> <.<

Firepowered

Nov 10, 2009
Being an Italian, and having travelled my share of Europe, I can assure you Shamus that all the stereotypes are true :)

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Firepowered said:
Being an Italian, and having travelled my share of Europe, I can assure you Shamus that all the stereotypes are true :)
..Even the french lovers?

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Ain't that the truth.
Also "Commander Shepard, can I punch you in the dick?" made me laugh a lot.

Wait... you used Bioware twice. Is that some kind of stealth pun on them reusing their own character archetypes over and over again?
Nice.