Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
lesterley said:
HankMan said:
Maybe splash damage is just likes dicking around.
lesterley said:
So the idea of making a game with all FEMALE characters is completely incomprehensible?
They might have been jiggling with the idea, but I think that's been done
<youtube=Hid4iyBeWkw>
Ah yes. I game that completely objectifies the female body.

So you can only have a game with all female characters if their existence is to appeal to the male gaze?
Hmmm....Werid. Its like the games industry is compleatly focused on trying to appeal mostly to a male consumer group, with no real attempt to please a female consumer group at all, isn't it?
>_>

<__>

michaelknives52

Mar 12, 2011
lesterley said:
HankMan said:
lesterley said:
So the idea of making a game with all FEMALE characters is completely incomprehensible?
<youtube=Hid4iyBeWkw>

So you can only have a game with all-female characters if the main purpose of their existence is to appeal to the male gaze?

YES!!! Pretty much because a larger portion of the video game community is comprised of males and thats the target demographic and the majority of games are created by male developers. Yes sexism still exists. Call of duty would look pretty silly with females running around shooting gus with double D sized breasts... that only makes sense in fighting games like dead or alive or mortal kombat. Perhap you can create a game that is comprised of females with normal sized chests... and watch you company burn to ashs and fail

Peggy Carpenter

May 13, 2011
It's annoying to not have a female option, especially as a female, but what's even MORE annoying is when they've gone to the work to give you a female option. But just one. And she's a medic. I wanna KILL things, not be healing all the time! If it's a four man team why, if there's a female option at all, is there only one?

As far as the whole "only women can have babies" argument it's as silly now as it was before. We can't do it without a guy. :)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
michaelknives52 said:
-snip
YES!!! Pretty much because a larger portion of the video game community is comprised of males and thats the target demographic and the majority of games are created by male developers. Yes sexism still exists. Call of duty would look pretty silly with females running around shooting gus with double D sized breasts... that only makes sense in fighting games like dead or alive or mortal kombat. Perhap you can create a game that is comprised of females with normal sized chests... and watch you company burn to ashs and fail
Ummm... okay, this might seem weird to someone, but is anybody else actually sick of seeing large breasts on female characters? Cause im literally bored with the image of large breast now...

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
michaelknives52 said:
lesterley said:
HankMan said:
lesterley said:
<youtube=Hid4iyBeWkw>

So you can only have a game with all-female characters if the main purpose of their existence is to appeal to the male gaze?

Games Industry: What if, now hear me out, we put the "normal" girls in skimpy outfits?

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
WanderingFool said:
michaelknives52 said:
-snip
Ummm... okay, this might seem weird to someone, but is anybody else actually sick of seeing large breasts on female characters? Cause im literally bored with the image of large breast now...
Games Industry: How do you feel about butts?

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Zhukov said:
Yeah, because every other online FPS has female characters.

Oh wait.

*shrug*

I kind of get why people are annoyed, but I fail to see why they are picking on Brink specifically.
Because they made a big deal about character customisation and focused everything solely on males.

Other games like CoD and battlefield didn't make such a big deal about characters.

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Shamus Young said:
Stolen Pixels #258: Where the Boys Are

Who needs women? Not Brink, apparently.

Read Full Article
Maybe thats why everyone is fighting. Cause they don't have any women. That's what gets Duke of his @$$ to go kick someone else's.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Thing is there's beefy mofos,normal mofos and skinny mofos in Brink.How would that work with character models for women?The beefy mofos aren't just Gears of War beefy they are bloody huge walking waldrobes.Putting women in ~ 50-60% would pick them and then not even bother with 1/3 of the body types which are a bit essential to gameplay(they die the hardest and get the brickwall job).Leaving the other 40% a bit forced to play certain types.

They can also be ignored completely so they don't hamper gameplay for your avatar.I'd like it to be incorporated in a dlc but I don't know if it's doable because of before mentioned stuff.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
WanderingFool said:
I second that feeling and add that if I see the words "realistic jiggle physics": I'm classifying the game as shovelware. Yes a little T&A now and then is awesome, but saturating the medium with it just makes me want to slap game developers upside the head. BTW brilliant strip man I laughed and shook my head.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
I kind of call into question the idea that it will take more resources to create female models than men. Yes, in a game where they have both male and female models, they have to do all the work twice... But you don't have to put in more work just because they are female... I could see that if it was some non-human race or something...

As far as why Brink is getting all the hate for this. Well first, it's new. Second, they made a big noise about their character customization, then later on informed everyone that they are not going to have a basic and largely expected option in their game: gender. Third, other FPS games like Call of Duty or Halo are not real big on customizing. Some don't even offer any at all, everyone plays the same character essentially, only color swapped for multiplayer. Team Fortress 2 has no female characters, yet that doesn't get near the hatred Brink is getting over it. Why? Because there is very little customization in TF2. Every Red Heavy looks pretty much the same...

As far as 'it's a game designed for the male player in mind'. Well one, that's blatantly sexist. Some women like shooting people in their virtual faces too. The same as some men don't. Sure the majority of the players of Brink are likely to be on the male side, but not all of them. And secondly, since when do men not like looking at women, even in video games? The last I checked, the majority of the male population liked women...

Certainly it was the developers call to focus on one set of models for greater customization. That's their choice and they stuck with it, so props to them on that. However, given the outcry over the gender issue here, I and probably they should be questioning whether that was the right choice or not. In the end, This won't stop me from picking up Brink. I'm a bit irked by the lack of female options, but that's never stopped me from playing other games before either. The important part is whether or not the game is good.

Trillovinum

Dec 15, 2010
In my opinion, Brink has made an elemental mistake.
They advertised their vast character customisation and forgot to add in the most basic choice in existence.
You might say other online shooters don't have females either and in most cases you're right. but most other online shooters don't have character customisation either or at least not to a decent degree.
You could go on about the storyline not permitting female fighters but in Brink that's not the case, at least not that I've heard of.
the only reason they gave was that there wasn't enough time. From a purely financial viewpoint, that's totally acceptable. but I still think they should have spent less time on the deeper costomisation and focussed more on the elemental point they've missed.
more options could still be released in DLC whereas solving this 'gender issue' cannot.

I say they've made a mistake. this should not have happened.
Learn from it and do it better next time.

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Trillovinum said:
In my opinion, Brink has made an elemental mistake.
They advertised their vast character customisation and forgot to add in the most basic choice in existence.
You might say other online shooters don't have females either and in most cases you're right. but most other online shooters don't have character customisation either or at least not to a decent degree.
You could go on about the storyline not permitting female fighters but in Brink that's not the case, at least not that I've heard of.
the only reason they gave was that there wasn't enough time. From a purely financial viewpoint, that's totally acceptable. but I still think they should have spent less time on the deeper costomisation and focussed more on the elemental point they've missed.
more options could still be released in DLC whereas solving this 'gender issue' cannot.

I say they've made a mistake. this should not have happened.
Learn from it and do it better next time.
I thought the Pyro was female, or was that whole thing just a large internet joke?

Alos, from what I hear no girls is the least of Brink's problems.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
I don't think it's such a big deal. Unless people WANT to make a big deal out of it.

.. please don't

Soylent Dave

Aug 31, 2010
poiumty said:
lesterley said:
No, just implausible. Women don't usually go shoot eachother for sport.
Which horrifying dystopia do you live in?

Because men don't usually shoot each other for sport in mine.

(not that it isn't still a horrifying dystopia of course...)

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
I for one would love to play a game that had no male population. Like "Y The Last Man"", except, you know, no dudes.

Soylent Dave

Aug 31, 2010
Zhukov said:
Yeah, because every other online FPS has female characters.

Oh wait.

*shrug*

I kind of get why people are annoyed, but I fail to see why they are picking on Brink specifically.
It's because a key selling point of Brink is the level of customisation and variety available in your character; so for them to put so much effort into allowing players to design male characters, and disregard female ones entirely... it's a bit noticeable.

If the game only had a single, pre-designed protagonist, the designers ultimately have to pick one design for that character; there's only so much arguing you can make for why they almost always decide that this protagonist should be a white man.

Bethesda have opened themselves up to a lot of questions by simultaneously making Brink massively open with character customisation and incredibly narrow.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Yet no one mentions that this is one of the rare game with a decent multi-ethnic cast of characters. I just love the accents in this game. Much more than you get from CoD or whatever other shooters out there that only have British or American accents.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
It screams more "incomplete" to me than something intentionally left out. Sure, voice acting and asset generation is expensive, but it would have boosted sales.

Anyways, it's not the only flaw that points to this being a rush job.