Stop all the COD Hate

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
So... You want us to change our opinions about a game... because you, personally, like the game, while we don't?

Oh, and I see a lot more "COD HATERZ ARE TEH EVERYWHEREZ!" than I do "CoD is teh SUCK.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
You know what? No. I wont stop hating it. Hell im not even really vocal about any Hate of the Franchise as of yet, no one really is. What people hate is the Modern Warfare Series of CoD as a whole.

And lets look at why. Modern Warfare, or CoD 4 was probably one of the best games to be released recently. It did nearly everything right, for what it was, it was a damn fine game to be sure.

But to use a comparison, Modern Warfare is like the Transformers Movies. The first one is good, you can just turn off your brain for about 2 hours and just have fun with it. But it gets worse. The more Installments are made into the series, repeating the same thing literally on a endless loop, the worse it gets, and as such the more hate it deserves for essentially doing NOTHING to advance into either direction, hell its actually going backwards.

Now i grant you that MW2 didnt have racistic robots, or a giant robot with wrecking balls(quite literally), but did it do anything new that MW didnt do before it? No it didnt, it just repeated the same Concept over and over, sure the Story was changed around a bit, but havent we seen something similar to it beforehand? Yes we have. Its one thing to make a hit out of what is essentially the most cliche you can get, and Modern Warfare did just that, hell its probably a hidden parody of it all and became popular because of how it is essentially what we had for years. Now people just jump on the bandwagon because its popular.

You want to stop the Hate of the franchise that is doing nothing to get anywhere and essentially repeat its same gameplay and story over and over? How about you stop the "Fans", and i dont mean the real Fans of it. I mean those People, those little 12 year olds that jumped onto the bandwagon because Modern Warfare is popular, they play it cause everybody else is. They want to be "with the crowd". Thats why underage Players of the series are usually the most vocal in that direction, they just want to be with the "cool guys".

So no. I wont stop hating it, or its annyoing Fanboys that will endlessly rave about it. Nor will i stop disliking those Fans trying to defend it. If a game is the godsend as you claim it is, then it will not need to be defended. It can stand on its faults and merits and be a good Game regardless of any Review someone could put out.

Eventually Modern Warfare will hit the same Wall that CoD and Medal of Honor did before it, when all those World War 2-Shooters became obsolete and boring. Then we might get a new Story, hell maybe a new Concept. A whole new "Modern Warfare" as it were, but until then, it will most likely stay as it is, if thats fun for the Fans, good for them, but People who dislike it will dislike it for that same Reason.

Also, i went on a rant, yay.

German Borbon

May 18, 2011
i dont really like realistic war games all together but i specially hate COD because of the sick sick fanbase that talk like ultra-pissed rednecks to people avoiding them to get into gaming for fear of them

Mrxclio

Nov 18, 2011
Timberwolf0924 said:
Look at the Madden series, the Gran Turismo series, Grand Theft Auto has gotten worse actually.. all of those series make bank, go hate those.

off topic
Captcha is "and glopeat"
NO!!! if we want to hate something then we have a right to. it's called freedom of speech.
plus all the fanboys rage about kotick findind more ways to milk them of money, ie maps weapons
mods in general, that pc players should get for free, but when a new crud game comes out,
they go straight out and buy it, and thats not totally true about GTA, ie cheats you can save on your phone, instead of inputting them each time, it's sheep mentality, if they want to waste
cash on the same game every year it's up to them, but don't get pissy at folk who know it's a con, i was {kind of still am} a fan of the medal of honor series] but after airborne, i knew it was over] except for every one on ea's moh forums who said i was wrong when i told them moh 2010 was gonna stink. and those same people afterwards have dissapeared from the site.
how much did it make? i can't remember wasn't much,

that reminds me must check at EA, see if it's still as bad the last time i visited

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
I dislike 'realistic' shooters end of. I dislike cash-cow rinse-repeat franchises. CoD is a medicore if nice (But brown) looking cookie cutter game that makes no new innovations and does very little to hold my attention. Blowing up a child seemed a cheap shot at black comedy so that made me chuckle.

I think i missed the point with that last observation.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I don't hate Call of Duty because it's popular, I hate it for the same reason that I hate most television shows and movies. They're for an audience I don't understand and the media has no value or interest to someone of my tastes. As I don't understand the audience I find the hype to be about as practical or relevant as a freezer in the arctic.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Stop all the "Stop all the CoD hate" threads... Thank you! X3 This subject has been done, and done to death. There is not a single drop of discusion revolving around CoD that has not been discussed 100 times here on the Escapist forums.

Wait...What

May 10, 2009
w9496 said:
I wish people would just be done with the bashing already. You can go play in your magical fairyland in Skyrim, or run around and blow things up. Both of those things appeal to different people, and Team A isn't better than Team B because Team B sells more. I don't care how much work went into their game, but the final product is all that matters.

The changes to a Call of Duty game may not be game changing, but it's enough to stay true to the series, but still be unique, and I'd chalk that up as a win for Call of Duty.
This. hit the nail on the head.

If you don't want to play a game then don't. Don't hate it just don't buy it. Loads of people (Me included) like COD (Granted i AM NOT a hardcore gamer at all, the only xbox i have access to is my housemates in our uni house and we play COD between lectures mainly) it entertains me :). If it doesnt for you then dont play it :)

Mar 26, 2008
Sassafrass said:
You labelled Viva Pinata as hardcore.
I don't never whether to hug you out of joy that the game has been recognised or strangle you for lumping it in with the hardcore games.
Without turning this into a Viva Pinata love-in, I wholeheartedly agree. It's the one game that everyone in my family plays.

As for the OT, why do you care? If you enjoy it then that's the main thing. Given that it's breaking every record under the sun I don't think an army of haters is going to derail the COD juggernaut.

Iggy Sent Me

Dec 20, 2010
It's got no right to be popular, it does the industry a disservice and is preventing the exploration of more meaningful content in games by tying it up with money.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
imperialreign said:
Talshere said:
....stay true to the series, but still be unique...

For PC, the MW franchise took a giant leap backwards with the miltiplayer in MW2. It still isnt back to CoD4 standard in MW3 and it is a step backward if we include Black Op in this too. MW hasnt really had a story to speak since the first one of so tell me, if a game is still behind it 2 time predecessor, how is it true to the series and unique in any way that could be considered good?

Just to point out . . . in the hardcore PC gaming community, the amount of actual work that's gone into the most recent titles qualifies more as a "mod" more-so than a new installment.

I mean, hell - you'd swear they've got script kiddies designing the games at this point. I'd bet damn good money that if IW or Treyarch would cough up decent enough tools, the PC modding communities could create something that far outshines what they've been releasing the last few years, in the same amount (or less) time it takes them to cough up another installment to the series.

Waitaminute . . . now I see why they don't want to release any decent tools to the community! The mods would outshine the retail products!

Ah this explains why I havnt bought any new games really recently. In all honesty if we ignore BF2 which I bought for the engine more than anything, the last game I actually bought that wasn't a steam indie title or F2P (read LoL) or an older game like the Anno series was Deus Ex HR. Before that it must have been Starcraft II? (Though if I'm honest with myself I wanted Space Marine :p)

I know that the removal of dedi servers from the MW franchise was a move against the mod community. P2P has been tried before on PC and failed and despite having a vibrant and active community on CoD4 on dedi servers, they killed them. The only logical reason is that post release not one single PC gamer paid for anything on CoD4 while xbox map packs raked in millions. Why the hell would I pay a tenner for 4 maps when I could download ACE and get 50+ of the same quality or indeed in cases like Alcatraz, higher quality, for free.

The irony of course is that half the game modes they now use standard, like the infamous zombie mode among others, were ripped from the modders in the first place.

Just so you know there is a cracked copy of BF2 out that doesnt require Origin. The irony of this of course is that by cracking a game the modders and hackers have made it more playable than the legal version.

God damn I hate IW and what they started with their shitty IW.net. Ubisoft were the only other dev with the gaul to try that shit before IW and they had basically stopped because it was so unpopular.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
CoD isn't a bad game. Sure, it isn't by any means a good game, but the online multiplayer (well, hardcore TDM at least) is decent, and the new Survival co-op mode is outstanding and far better than Zombies in Blops.

Sure, there are those people who buy a slightly upgraded Madden game every year, but no one calls them retarded. They flock to what they know and love, even if the graphics are only slightly better and a few new players have been added. CoD is the same way, but with guns. The only difference between a football series and a military shooter series is the fact military shooters aren't a real sport and don't have a fanbase built in from the real-life sport. Not that there is a sport, because while football games tend to be at least somewhat accurate about how the game is played, CoD is not accurate about how war is played. Neither is Battlefield, for that matter.

On the whole, I only enjoyed MW3 because of the Survival mode. Blops was a mess in just about every way, and was only fun because I eventually started getting good at the game, and my friend and I would make jokes all of the time (and yell at people who were worse than I was, which means they were pretty terrible). I would love to see some new things in CoD, but like the Madden series, it probably will not happen in large chunks, just small updates every game, perhaps once in a while the game will bring something new to the table.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
CoD is pretty much the Guitar Hero of first person shooters. It's the reason we see so many bad clones trying to get just a piece of that pie.

Freddyqaqualung

Nov 16, 2010
I've barely been part of this community that long and I've already seen this thread far too many times.
Why are people still posting this thread? It contributes nothing and starts way more flamewars than the subject is worth. I enjoy me some CoD, others don't. Why do we need to make a big deal about it?

bader0

Dec 7, 2010
TheAceTheOne said:
First off, I'll hate what I want :3

Second off, I'll hate myself for admitting it, but CoD is good at times... It's just not my cup of tea, and the fanbase is annoying to me.
this. CoD is at times a fantastic, energetic, hectic fast paced multiplayer experience. the problem is that at worst it is a group of 12 year olds screaming into microphones and hiding in corners.
The business model is obviously atrocious but hey its activision.