Stop what you're doing, and look down ....

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
... no, not at that.

I'm talking about what is perhaps one of the most underrated, functional tools in existence. It is ubiquitous; it affects our lives daily, either through our own action or someone else's. It has given us access to knowledge undreamed of in previous ages. It has provided us with entertainment, and literature and film of such profound merit and crass mediocrity that it boggles the mind. It is the tool of government, and business, and communication.

I'm talking about your keyboard.

I'm packing a Japanese qwerty on my Toshiba laptop I bought from Sofmap in Osaka, Japan. It's got a roman alphabet plus a variety of Japanese characters in apparently random positions. The quotation mark, apostrophe, @ symbol, and asterix are all in very different places.

But it's mine.

I have a little sticker of Homer Simpson making a "D'oh!" face affixed on top of the backspace key. There's a tiny little keypad on the right hand side that I'm forever accidentally hitting when I go for the diminutive Enter key.

It has been with me through Ferelden. We crossed Cyrodil together. We conquered the New World and beat the Wasteland through cooperation and cunning. We even have shared moments of intense privacy that I hope my wife doesn't know about (thank God for privacy mode!) ... or perhaps she does, and simply accepts that the other love in my life is a set of plastic keys set into an aging, obsolete machine.

Eventually, I will bid farewell to my keyboard.

And I ask you all to raise a glass to your friend. Your companion. Your confidante. Your message stick, and your whip. Hail the keyboard. Glory to the keyboard, one of the greatest inventions since fire, the wheel, agriculture, and the printing press.

Where is yours from? Where has it been? Where has it taken you? And, when the time comes, do you not feel a sense of the bittersweet? I hate throwing away a keyboard ... no matter how many times I have to hit the enter key twice because I spilt wine in it during a particularly heated forum debate.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
*looks down*. Lol, I was thinking... well, I see my keyboard, before I read further down the post to find out that was what it was referring to.

I'm on my work lappy, soooo.... it's been beaten quite a few times over cod :p. Don't think I'm gonna really miss the keyboard, but for a laptop one it ain't half bad imo.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
it's attached to my laptop and it's the first laptop i have ever truely owned and bought..i bought it online from a bestbuy and i'm proud of it

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
God, i'm on one of those ugly, small and unpleasant Thinkpad KBs. Yes, with that red joystick ball for faggots / managers between G and H.

What do i need a joystick for ffs?

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Well, disregarding the fact that I am currently using a school computer... I have a [a href=http://www.btc.com.tw/english/news_71.htm]9051H Cheetah[/a] which has served me well for nigh 4 years now. It has helped me game, it has helped me work, and it is all-around great.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Well, tbh, Idr when I got it. 5+ years I think. There is about 2 pounds of food, dirt and hair inside it. It was silver-grey when I got it and now it's 70% black. Also, some of the keys get sticky or w\e the word is since the stupid USB 3 hate it and I need to use a crappy third cabel.
I still love it though<3

Macgyvercas said:
I use a Logitech G15 gaming keyboard. It's pretty boss.
I hate you. How's the screen btw?

Mar 30, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Same, along with a G9 laser mouse.

Although I gotta say OP, I ain't particularly attached to either. Yeah they're cool and all, but if they break I'll just replace them - I feel no particular connection with my keyboard. It is simply a tool. A tool to be used by, well, a tool - but that's not the point.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
jonyboy13 said:
Well, tbh, Idr when I got it. 5+ years I think. There is about 2 pounds of food, dirt and hair inside it. It was silver-grey when I got it and now it's 70% black. Also, some of the keys get sticky or w\e the word is since the stupid USB 3 hate it and I need to use a crappy third cabel.
I still love it though<3

Macgyvercas said:
I hate you. How's the screen btw?
Not bad. Someone with more techincal know how than I could probably do some crazy stuff with it, but it does what I want it to.

Grouchy Imp said:
Macgyvercas said:
Same, along with a G9 laser mouse.
G500 here.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Using a Logitech Access that survived the flooding and thus destruction of my old apartment. I appreciate it sticking with me, as I like the size an spacing of it, plus media features.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Just a regular laptop keyboard. Nothin' fancy, save for a right click key. Yes, that's right, there's a key that does the right click function. It's right next to the left arrow, having moved Right Ctrl over one, which means I can't play Doom Classic, because right ctrl is fire, and I can't easily reach it. :c

Oh, also, I've been wanting to put "Billy Mays Mode" over my caps lock for the longest time, but I don't have a label printer.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
This is my work keyboard so it's just a dell one, no attachment to it seeing as I share it and repeatedly spray it with sanitiser when it's my turn to sit here.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I use a random acer keyboard. Before that, I had a wireless one. I think I had it for like 5 years before it quit on me.

Sadly, I've never had such an attachment to my keyboard like the one you have. Maybe it's because I'm a console gamer, what do I know?