Straight Guy in Wafflehouse beat down for homophobic slur

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Leadfinger said:
In my view, the beat down was totally warranted. You could look at it as a kind of "manners coaching." Perhaps the fellow will think before he speaks in the future.
Oh, is that a thing now? Rephrase a crime to make it sound less illegal and morally reprehensible? Great, from now on I'll just refer rape as "sexual reciprocation encouragement". Yeahhhhhh.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
So is there actually any record of what actually came out of his mouth? Seeing as the exchange is cut off from the beginning of the video, I'm curious as to what he actually said.

And there are some people in this thread who condoned all the violence that occurred towards the guy (even if it was just slapping). To be frank, you're pretty horrible people.

Anyway, I'd actually like the whole story before I decide what I think. I do know everyone involved was probably being a dick, though.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
teebeeohh said:
Badguy said:
Well, they sure did a good job of justifying and probably cementing his hatred of them. They were all morons.
wait since when are gay people getting hate for being violent
Are you serious? If you hate something, and that something proceeds to beat the shit out of you, you're likely to hate it even more, regardless of your initial reasons for hating it. Also, why spout off a bunch of stereotypical reasons why someone would dislike gay people? Do you honestly think people are suddenly going to go "oh yeah, I forgot people tend to dislike gay people for religious reasons, thanks teebeeohh!"

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
chadachada123 said:
Yeah it does. Being a dick is covered unless it is truly inciting. An argument over the use of the word "******" is NOT inciting anymore than arguing about whether or not a girl is a ***** or not is not inciting.
Freedom of Speech means that people cannot get arrested for what they say, it does not mean that no one can ever get mad at anyone for what they say. The man mouthed off, people got mad at what he said and jumped him. The man isn't getting arrested for what he said, neither are the assailants. Freedom of Speech doesn't come into play in this case.

Most state constitutions also protect people who were gang-beat for no reason, as this guy was. A woman held him up to a wall and slapped him, and he went to slap back, and then they jumped him. Self defense is protected in the majority of states.
Physical assault and self-defense are completely different from speech

The beating was completely unwarranted. The woman at least should be charged with assault for attacking someone without reason.
But again, no one in the situation will be arrested for what they have said, only what they have done

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
axlryder said:
Leadfinger said:
In my view, the beat down was totally warranted. You could look at it as a kind of "manners coaching." Perhaps the fellow will think before he speaks in the future.
Oh, is that a thing now? Rephrase a crime to make it sound less illegal and morally reprehensible? Great, from now on I'll just refer rape as "sexual reciprocation encouragement". Yeahhhhhh.

I have one:
Murder: "Permanent gene-pool improvement selection".

On topic:
Yeah, the guy did not deserve what they did to him and now he even gets to feel righteous, since clearly, "gay people are all horrible" and "they all seek to beat down poor straight men".
He was hit first, he was pressed against a wall and having several guys beat up one smallish-fat guy really does not seem like "self-defense" to me.

SEXTON HALE

Apr 12, 2012
For an ass kicking that looked surprisingly gentle,not to say that it would'nt mess him up pretty bad but I wish people would try to kick my ass like that,I suppose I can only dream...

Anyway I can see how the guy was in the wrong but as these things go one wrong move led to another and things get messed up pretty quick when that happens,he clearly instigated it but everyone else seemed pretty keen on making the situation worse and worse,nobody even tried to work that shit out but for all I know theres more to it then what fifty seconds or so of video tell.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
twistedmic said:
chadachada123 said:
Yeah it does. Being a dick is covered unless it is truly inciting. An argument over the use of the word "******" is NOT inciting anymore than arguing about whether or not a girl is a ***** or not is not inciting.
Freedom of Speech means that people cannot get arrested for what they say, it does not mean that no one can ever get mad at anyone for what they say. The man mouthed off, people got mad at what he said and jumped him. The man isn't getting arrested for what he said, neither are the assailants. Freedom of Speech doesn't come into play in this case.

Most state constitutions also protect people who were gang-beat for no reason, as this guy was. A woman held him up to a wall and slapped him, and he went to slap back, and then they jumped him. Self defense is protected in the majority of states.
Physical assault and self-defense are completely different from speech

The beating was completely unwarranted. The woman at least should be charged with assault for attacking someone without reason.
But again, no one in the situation will be arrested for what they have said, only what they have done
The middle portion (relating to state constitutions) was separate from speech and specifically related to the actions. Apologies if I wasn't clear on that. I agree that no one here can be arrested for what they said, but the gay dudes and that woman CAN be arrested for their assaults while the lone guy in this case acted pretty much solely in defense, and can't be arrested for that (in most states).

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
axlryder said:
Leadfinger said:
I can't share your moral outrage over this issue. Your equating it to rape doesn't make any sense either. You seem to have an emotional stake in this issue that's hard to understand. In my view, the homophobe incited violence and got what he was asking for. Hell, it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Well, violence is bad, but it's nice to see the usual story reversed for a change of pace.

Tinkotin

Feb 28, 2011
In this modern day of age, is ****** really considered anything beyond an insult that narrow minded individuals preach?

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Sure, the guy didn't deserve to get beat up. I personally won't lose any sleep over an asshole getting beaten up for being an asshole. Heck, he got slapped a bunch of times. Slapped. I got beat up worse in high school, and it was usually because I wasn't acting like a jackass.

I mean, really. He got slapped. Something tells me he walked away afterwards with a couple of stinging red marks that didn't bruise. Maybe next time he'll avoid using stupid language like that. If we were all a little more careful with the way we acted towards each other, it'd be a nice side effect of incidents like this (And it's a big reason why people don't use the N word, but still use that word).

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Jack the Potato said:
Clearly the woman struck the offender first. He's still a hateful, callous asshole, but he was backed into a corner and was hit by the woman. So no, he didn't deserve an ass-kicking. Violence doesn't change minds, in fact if anything he'll be even more hateful towards gay people. Violence begets more violence, after all.
He clearly hit her first. Look at 0:13 in the video - you can't see much, because there's a man's back in the way but you can see his arm go out and it is to this she responds.

Nobody got an ass-kicking here - they slapped him. I doubt he had any injury except to his pride.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Fuck yeah. It's about time frankly, all these people beating up guys for being gay, I'm glad to see a little karma coming round. That guy deserved everything he got and more.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Leadfinger said:
axlryder said:
Leadfinger said:
I can't share your moral outrage over this issue. Your equating it to rape doesn't make any sense either. You seem to have an emotional stake in this issue that's hard to understand. In my view, the homophobe incited violence and got what he was asking for. Hell, it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.
I'm not directly equating it to rape, I'm highlighting how silly it is to try and put obviously wrong actions in a different light to make it sound better just because it might produce a superficially desirable effect. Obviously there is an element of hyperbole in my example. Regardless, in cases like this, beating someone is only going to make the man more angry and likely incite more bigotry and violence in the future. That's not even talking about potential legal ramifications in this situation. Just because you can't understand why a needlessly violent reaction to a situation isn't a serious problem, doesn't make it any less serious or wrong. You may feel it was justified, but a beating of this nature practically never is. I couldn't care less about whatever sadistic glee you derive from the situation.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
1. Whats to suggest these men were gay aside from their flamboyant clothing?
2. Was this argument based on homophobia or did the man merely use homophobic remarks?
3. Ehh.... probably painful but hes fine.

Captcha: know your rights. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO UNALIENABLE RIGHT TO DESTROY WHOEVER I PLEASE!

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
GildaTheGriffin said:
WaysideMaze said:
GildaTheGriffin said:
I support the gay community, but when someone speaks such a slur that is common in today's society, don't react unless he is going to physically harm you. The word, '******' is like the racial slur 'N word' towards African Americans. The 'N word' is used commonly now, but still has meaning if used wrong.
Interesting how you state the 2 words are equal, yet have only typed out one of them.
I think Escapist would prohibit me from saying it. ****** isn't a banned word like the N word I believe. Sorry if ****** is.
There's no "banned" words on the site. You can say ******, ******, fuck etc. etc. It's just about context. If you're using the words as insults, then yes, you will get banned.

But saying "The word, '******' is like the slur '******' towards African Americans" is a perfectly acceptable thing to post