Strange things that get your blood boiling

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
You know the song 'That Don't Impress Me Much' by Shania Twain?

No other song drives me this close to a rampage than this one.

[sub]What does impress you, you stupid *****?[/sub]
I would hunt you down and kill you slowly for putting that travesty back in my head! Last time I thought of that song it was stuck there for days, torturing me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Teoes said:
Casual Shinji said:

I would hunt you down and kill you slowly for putting that travesty back in my head! Last time I thought of that song it was stuck there for days, torturing me.
Doesn't its catchy tune just hook you? As in, literally inserts rusty fish hooks into your brain matter.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Rho2 said:
Now, I've been banned for two weeks for saying that I think naming a child Tali'Zorah is an awful idea and I think those who name their child after a videogame aren't likely to make good parents. I'm sorry for stating my opinion, ESCAPIST.
Wait...why would they make bad parents? My parents named me after the Hound of Slaughter but somehow mixed Cu Chulain and Conchobhar up. If you ask me, that's a worse naming strategy than Tali'Zorah - and if you didn't play Mass Effect, you'd think it was just a foreign name.

Pft. If you recognise Tali'Zorah as a videogame name, then you're as nerdy as the parents and lacking in their self-awareness.

OT: Tumblr was mentioned earlier. I'd like to add the similar and overlapping community of Tickld. Not because they're bad people in any way, just because they both suffer from one common theme - Introversion. And not the good kind of introversion either. I like introverts because they don't feel the need to tell you about their introversion - on account of them being, y'know, introversion.
Ninety per cent of posts seem to be about how amazing it is to read, and if you read, you're superior to the club-going monkeys that shape the rest of society.
Well, Tumblr, I was taught to read before I'd quite mastered speaking. My tuition was pretty intense as a little bastard, and when it comes to it, I'm a pretty incredible reader. I have to mentally disengage from a book to put it away. And I hate reading. Give me a film or a game over a book any day. I get travel-sick on trains and in cars if I try to read, so I can't use books on long journeys - which is likely why my Necronomicon is still unfinished. Interestingly I can read on boats.
And I'm losing my focus.
On a similar vein - I own the first edition of all the Harry Potter books. I'm 21 and I read a lot as a kid, as I've established. I didn't realise how absolutely incredible this was until I ventured onto Tickld and discovered Neville Longbottom was the greatest hero of all time and that we're the 'Harry Potter generation'.
Really? The Harry Potter generation? They're good books, yes, and they're easy to read - that was their advantage. That's how I got through the Deathly Hallows over the course of a tae kwon do tournament. I still haven't seen the films of that book, they just don't interest me. I just wonder how so many people seem so genuinely affected by a series of books about a stupid-ass wizard doing stupid shit and getting favouritism from the headmaster because he knew his dad or some shit.

Also. Jennifer Lawrence. While she serves as an excellent example of how the media totally cripple the self-esteem of young women by referring to her as overweight, she's also not the deity the Internet needs to stop making her out to be. She fell over because she was thinking about cake. She thinks potatoes taste better than being skinny. Okay. I get it. You like food. I also like food, however I don't tell everybody because it's a fucking given that I like food.

The Jennifer Lawrence Formula for Success:
Get famous. Be referred to as overweight by the press. Talk about food all the time.

Tom Hiddleston's up there too - yes he's a funny and attractive man, but there is such a thing as oversaturation. I go on Tickled to see funny shit I don't give two fucks about your collective celebrity crushes.

And god damn it Internet stop looking down on people for enjoying the company of others. What the shit is that about? Reading is for the intellectual elite and you're the only person to think for yourself and everyone else is blind, right? Everything else is dumbed down and ruined because nobody is as clever as you. Right.

I cannot describe what a smug **** I am when it comes to beating the elitist brand of introverts at their own game. A friend of mine here at university is the type to look down on the typical teenage character, and even comes prepackaged with a bizarrely judgemental side. And he's a brony, of all things.
Despite his condescending attitude toward promiscuous or confident girls, a club environment, alcohol or basically being at university, he somehow manages to consistently score 10% lower marks than me on our assignments. We even take the same subjects. I spend most of my time either playing videogames, showing the city my awesome dance moves or sulking because I'm hungover and I have so far gotten a 2:1 on everything. And he's getting 2:2s despite his 'home early and sober' attitude.

And I have to say, I am absolutely insufferable when my ego is justified.

As an end note, I should clarify that I definitely have no problem with introverts. Just the ones that talk about it - because going on about yourself is surely an extrovert trait, and they claim to hate those people. You'd think there was a war on.
OH AND ALSO THAT PISSING COMIC hang on let me find it.

Appreciate silence in a world that never stops talking? All the previous strips imply that you haven't tried to take the time to appreciate what the world might be saying - and I guarantee the best books were written by the people who immersed themselves in the world around them, that took the time to understand and encapsulate it.
Stop romanticising being antisocial. Do you know what a pain in the arse it is to have to take an introvert everywhere because they get offended when you don't spend time with them and also blatantly refuse to talk to people? It's terrible. And they possess this frankly terrifying ability to know exactly where you are at all times and just appear next to you.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Teoes said:
Casual Shinji said:

Doesn't its catchy tune just hook you? As in, literally inserts rusty fish hooks into your brain matter.
Yes. It is the aural equivalent of an eon spent with the Cenobites.

But it's not just the song, is it? It's when it keeps getting cranked out at bars/clubs/discos, with all the tragi-drunk females bum-rushing the dance floor to stand in circles shouting along, stamping their stiletto-heeled feet and pointing to the sky.

Yay for peace, happiness and optimism!

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Rho2 said:
Getting banned for expressing my opinion.

Last time, I' ve got a three day ban from this forum because I've replied "Ahah!" (or was it "Mph!"?) to a thread: banned for making a short and uninformative comment.

Now, I've been banned for two weeks for saying that I think naming a child Tali'Zorah is an awful idea and I think those who name their child after a videogame aren't likely to make good parents. I'm sorry for stating my opinion, ESCAPIST.

Watch, as I will magically get banned again now.

This is a little thing that gets on my nerves: nothing irks me more than abuse of forum authority, destroying my freedom of speech in the most free place: the Internet.
Well, it annoys me when people misunderstand the rights given to them under freedom of speech, and then state their misunderstanding on the internet as if it's a correct objective fact .

But it's then really annoying when they get angry about it.

So this is awkward.

Dec 14, 2009
Rho2 said:
Caiphus said:
Well, it annoys me when people misunderstand the rights given to them under freedom of speech, and then state their misunderstanding as if it's a correct objective fact on the internet.

So this is awkward.

Please do tell.

Even though I have an opinion about an issue, I am not expressed to say what I think about said issue?
I might be right or wrong in my opinion. But I do NOT deserve being banned for expressing it.

Case in point, if I think Tali'Zorah is a dumb name and the parents might be bad people for naming a child like that, I have the same exact rights of people who say Tali'Zorah is a cool name and the parents aren't bad people just because of giving that name to their daughter.

Period. There's really nothing else to be added.

When one opinion is allowed and the other opinion is banned, this is blocking freedom of speech, and abusing moderator power.
This is a website, not a public theater.

Freedom of Speech is not applicable here, you either obey the rules stipulated, that you agreed to upon joining the site, or you leave. It's as simple as that.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Rho2 said:
Please do tell.

Even though I have an opinion about an issue, I am not expressed to say what I think about said issue?
I might be right or wrong in my opinion. But I do NOT deserve being banned for expressing it.

Case in point, if I think Tali'Zorah is a dumb name and the parents might be bad people for naming a child like that, I have the same exact rights of people who say Tali'Zorah is a cool name and the parents aren't bad people just because of giving that name to their daughter.

When one opinion is allowed and the other opinion is banned, this is blocking freedom of speech, and abusing moderator power.
If you were banned solely for your opinion, then appeal it. Chances are you were rude, and were banned because of conduct, not because of your opinion.

And you do deserve to be banned if you do not follow the required standard of decorum.

And your misunderstanding is:

Freedom of speech does not generally exempt you from terms to which you have agreed, such as the terms and conditions to which you agree when you post on this website. If you want an unfettered forum in which to be rude to people, then you should start a blog. You are free to express your opinions. This website is not obliged to give you a space in which to express them.

However, banjumping is a bannable offence. So your prediction was correct, and you will be banned.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Rho2 said:
Caiphus said:
Well, it annoys me when people misunderstand the rights given to them under freedom of speech, and then state their misunderstanding as if it's a correct objective fact on the internet.

So this is awkward.

Please do tell.

It's not the opinion - it's how it is expressed. You insulted another user, which is against the forum rules. Now you're ban(suspension)-jumping, which is also against the rules. No abuse of moderator power here. Just your infractions.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
While it doesn't make my "blood boil", people walking on the wrong side of the road make me VERY annoyed.
It's literally one of the absolute FIRST THINGS you learn in your life (walking) and one of the easiest choices ever (One side or the other. HINT: One side is wrong), so I CANNOT understand how SO many people get it wrong. >_<''

When I go to my university I actually see more people walking on the wrong side than I see people walking on the correct side. It just Boggles my mind...

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
The following quote is the sort of thing that gets my blood boiling.
Rho2 said:
This is a little thing that gets on my nerves: nothing irks me more than abuse of forum authority, destroying my freedom of speech in the most free place: the Internet.
Let me just stop you there, because what you're complaining about has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech has a very specific definition, and it doesn't cover internet forums.

You can no more accuse the mods here of silencing your freedom of speech, than you can accuse a restaurant owner of silencing your freedom of speech when you start loudly proclaiming various offensive slurs in their restaurant and they ask you to leave.

Private property, including private websites like this one, are exempt from freedom of speech laws.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Rho2 said:
Meh, I had wrote that I think parents who named their child after a videogame character must be selfish and attention-seeking.
I don't exactly consider it as an insult. Especially since many other commenters expressed my same exact opinion. I guess even though I wrote what others wrote, I just have a way of expressing it that leaves the mark.

I know ban-jumping is not allowed, but I felt I was abused by the mods therefore I wanted to abuse the mods. This is the first time in my four bans that I've willingly gone against the rules and registered a second account, and I did it only because of how fed up I am by my constant bans.

Because really, getting a three day ban for writing "Mph! :p " as a comment (too short! Three days ban!) was quite uncalled for, and that's why I no longer trust the reasons besides my bans, even if this time I really did something wrong and accidentally insulted someone.

Ban me for a stupid reason once, and if the second time you ban me it's for a good reason, I still won't believe it.

But enough, I took too much space out of this thread. I just wanted to finally express my disappointment at the ban system before getting erased from this forum.
You weren't suspended for a stupid reason. You got an infraction for breaking the forum rules (low content, in this case) and as that infraction was your fifth, it manifested as a suspension. It wasn't that single infraction that was deemed worthy of a 3-day suspension, it was that you were repeated breaking the rules; the rules state that once you've broken them enough times, the punishment gets harsher. You've had more than enough chances here.

I've stuck my oar in enough, this really needs mod/staff intervention.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Rho2 said:
Meh, I had wrote that I think parents who named their child after a videogame character must be selfish and attention-seeking.
I don't exactly consider it as an insult. Especially since many other commenters expressed my same exact opinion. I guess even though I wrote what others wrote, I just have a way of expressing it that leaves the mark.
You said; "makes me feel even more sorry for what crappy parents she's got".

"Crappy parents", directed at another user. Yeah, I'd say that's an insult.
You can spin it however you want, but it's still an insulting thing to say.
Rho2 said:
I know ban-jumping is not allowed, but I felt I was abused by the mods therefore I wanted to abuse the mods. This is the first time in my four bans that I've willingly gone against the rules and registered a second account, and I did it only because of how fed up I am by my constant bans.
I'm pretty sure there's a way of contesting suspensions and bans, and it DOESN'T involve making a new account.
Rho2 said:
Because really, getting a three day ban for writing "Mph! :p " as a comment (too short! Three days ban!) was quite uncalled for, and that's why I no longer trust the reasons besides my bans, even if this time I really did something wrong and accidentally insulted someone.
"Uncalled for"? You're going to have to explain this.
Why was it uncalled for, for the mods to ban you for breaking the rules?

Low content is against the rules, so it would be MORE uncalled for if the mods let people get away with making low content posts.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Teoes said:
Casual Shinji said:
Yes. It is the aural equivalent of an eon spent with the Cenobites.
I sometimes wonder whether or not Shania Twain actually is a Cenobite.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Rho2 said:
"Mph! :p " is not low content.
Now, see, that's where you're wrong.

"Mph! :p" might mean "hello" to someone, "goodbye" to someone else. It might mean "fuck off" to another person, or "g'day mate" to yet another person.
Rho2 said:
You can write ten columns of blahblahblahblahblah and say nothing; you can write a simple word or onomatopeic sound and express a concept or an answer.
The problem is, no one knows what your answer (in the given case) actually means.
What it means to you might be different to what it means to somebody else.

Adding more content would not only help avoid warnings, but also help explain what you actually mean.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Guys!

Please stop arguing about moderation. The thread was already locked due to derailment and I'd rather it stay unlocked.

It's supposed to be a fun(ish) thread to vent about weird stuff, not a platform for you to blast the way things are run here. If it keeps up, the Mods will have to put a bullet into the thread and that makes me cry.

You don't want to make me cry, do you? D:

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The way my grandma, who's deeply religious, calls bibles "God's-word-books." She pronounces it "Gossworsbooks", the quick way you pronounce terms you use casually. It feels like such a passive-aggressive way to show off her Christianity. I know that's not why she does it, but it still bugs me no end.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
littlealicewhite said:
Mass Effect: Deception.

For those who are fortunate enough to not know, Deception is a "expanded universe" novel written by Willian C. Dietz. And it is the most offensive, incorrect, badly-written piece of shit I have ever read.

This book is a slap to the face to all Mass Effect fans. There are so many major lore inconsistencies that I suspect the author just watched part of a Let's Play before writing. Even the people who jumped in on Mass Effect 3 would know more about the ME universe than this guy.

And even mechanically the writing is bad! Deitz has not clue how to properly structure sentences and often breaks up his sentences. Into smaller ones. That are annoying. To read.

*Then* he systematically destroys the personalities of the characters present in the previous books. A homosexual guy is suddenly ogling asari, an extreme racist is happily chatting is up with an alien, a woman has two of her close friends killed, with her her only reaction being to scold the killer and an autistic girl apparently was never autistic, she just had an "attitude problem" growing up. That last one is especially galling to me, as I am on the autism spectrum.

In short, Mass Effect: Deception pisses me off beyond rationality and all copies of it should be ritualistically burned to remove the world of it's taint.
I wouldn't call this strange at all.Deception is generally considered to be such a piece of shit that the publishers said that they were going to have it rewritten to fix the errors.Not sure if they ever did though

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:

On a similar note, I can't stand "Red Solo Cup" by Toby Keith, or "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy". The horrible part is, they were at the top of the charts for the longest time and the place I work plays a country station all day, everyday. I think I lost a little bit of my sanity in that time period.

Also songs that have less than five lyrics and just repeat them over and over again to a boring, generic, beat.