Strange things that get your blood boiling

NSGrendel

Jul 1, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Teoes said:
Casual Shinji said:
Doesn't its catchy tune just hook you? As in, literally inserts rusty fish hooks into your brain matter.
Yes. It is the aural equivalent of an eon spent with the Cenobites.
I sometimes wonder whether or not Shania Twain actually is a Cenobite.
"That don't impress me much. Oh, no tears please. It's a waste of good suffering!"

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
For me, it has to be when people leave comments on songs saying things like "if you've ever been broken up with, you'll know what this song is about"... because yea, obviously there is only one universal way everyone feels and reacts to being broken up with, regardless of how it's done or how long you'd been with that person.... Just really gets on my nerves, especially as it also telling people who like those songs but have never been broken up with that they don't get that song or something.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Thyunda said:
Oh dear God, all the words
Yup, I know how you feel about this, especially Tickld. I mean, come on, we get it, [insert random fandom] is cool, but there's no need to have so many posts about the same damn thing and then passive aggressively down-vote people for a different opinion. For a website that preaches about free speech they are sure unwelcoming sometimes to people who say, don't like Doctor Who.
AND Tumblr does that annoying over the top reaction thing to every comment. And if everyone there could stop treating themselves as practically autistic poets when they're really just kind of antisocial, that'd be great.
/endrant

OT: On a different topic, Pandas. God I hate pandas so much. Lazy little [expletive removed].
And there's a special place in my personal hell for anyone who says "Why didn't they just ride the eagles to Mordor?".

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
You don't want to make me cry, do you? D:
Nooooooo don't cry Tippy :(

OT: Paradise by Coldplay. I used to be a big Coldplay fan until a couple of years ago. Then that album came out (I can't even remember the name). I didn't really like it but I didn't hate it.

However at the time I worked evenings as a waiter in a hotel restaurant and bar. The Foxtel music channel was what the televisions in the bar were always set to and they played Paradise at least once an hour it felt like. After working there for a couple of months, that song was like nails on a chalkboard for me.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
littlealicewhite said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

This very well may be lingering misogyny from my younger years, but I fucking hate Kim Possible. I don't know why either. On paper, I should like it. An ordinary human being fighting bad guys? Just like batman right? NOPE!

I think my whole irritation with it is just how perfect she is. She has no tragic backstory. She doesn't have to train hard or struggle with her social life. Theres no real reason why she's pegged to be the hero and no one ever worries about her.

It's irrational to the point that I'd love to read a fanfic or something where the bad guy just goes all Fumbles on her...
Funny, there's a term that originates in fanfiction that describes the phenomenon you bring up exactly. A "Mary Sue" is an original character, usually female but not always, that has no difficulties or real flaws. They are somehow exceptionally skilled in whatever they do, are exotically beautiful and are never wrong. Nearly everyone loves them instantly and the ones that don't are always bad guys, no matter how logical their dislike. They never have to really struggle to do anything.

One small inconsistency is that Mary Sues often have some sort of tragic backstory that will almost inevitably devolve into wangst, if it wasn't already. But otherwise, Kim Possible matches the profile of a Mary Sue.
Ohhhh I'd hate to label it Mary Sue hate. I mean, I'm guilty of that flaw as well. I have a fanfiction character from my teens that I still hold dearly in my heart.

My hate for Kim Possible goes so much deeper than that. It's why I frame it with the last shred of misogyny because I plainly think it's the fact it's a ordinary girl doing these things. I very well may not of given the show a second glance if it was boy doing these things. And it's very uncharacteristic of me, considering the person I am now to feel this way. It's like this show is a branching off of that "GIRL POWER" bullshit of the nineties that the Spice Girls started. Ya know, the idea of GIRLZ RULE with out any of the basic tenements of feminism, basically just a gigantic marketing ploy?

Oh "Everything is possible for a possible!", really? Well who the fuck knows because she's never been in a situation where her skills have been pushed to the limit.

WhyWasThat

Jul 2, 2010
Zak757 said:
+1 on the flip-flop comment.

The most petty and inconsequential thing that annoys me is probably fan art in which characters are acting way out-of-character (see submissive/moe Satsuki Kiryuin, flip shit and riot). Somewhat applies to cosplayers who pose out-of-character but I usually don't care all that much unless it is an egregious example.

The rest of my silly annoyances result from the minor OCD symptoms I have. I don't like seeing hard objects stacked on top of soft objects, like clothes. I can't stand it when people set the volume to "bad" numbers (like 3, 7, 11, 13, 23, etc) on the radio, TV, or whatever. Also, any knotting or twisting in power cords (well, any cord really) even when it isn't a problem.
I'm the exact same. I always have to have the volume at a sound, solid number. It's bafflingly nonsensical, but I can't help it. Same with the other two examples.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
People who watch reality television. Seriously, there is no actual reason to be any more annoyed by people watching X-Factor or Honey Boo Boo than there is anything else out there, and I don't even really watch TV.

But god dammit do I want to strangle every idiot who gawks at it then complain about the people they see on them DESPITE the fact it's deliberately filmed and edited to make the different from you as freakish as possible so you will tune in. It's like watching a child smacking itself in the head with a crowbar and crying when you tell it to stop.

Excuse me I need to go repair the numerous holes I've just punched into the wall.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
The term "weeaboo" would probably be my newest one. Mainly when it's used to dismiss a person's opinion, since apparently what you think doesn't matter/should be ignored if you're a fan of another culture/language. Of course it's really just another stupid insult used by trolls and after so many years on the internet those type of insults are easily ignored, but for some reason seeing that silly term makes me really POed. Thankfully there's the ignore list for people that like using it, maybe I've just been unlucky but from my experience they usually don't say anything I want to read anyway.

Psycomantis777

Apr 24, 2012
I once heard my dad say the phrase "easy, tiger!" It made me want to hurt a lot of people in increasingly unspeakable ways just to make the mental pain go away...
Now he does it just to wind me up...

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
People who think that all anime is "naughty tentacles", all male characters are "humping like bunnies to please the weirdo fangirls" and all visual novels are "hentai".

There's a special place in hell for those people. And you know what... it might actually be justified in some way. By western standards, the Japanese are a very odd people (their pull-your-weight work-standard, obsession with making everything cute to make a thin barrier to protect themselves with their crippling despair, and the fact that Cat Soup exists) and some people just take a few darkly comic jokes in anime too far without knowing anything about the anime itself.

"naughty tentacles" aren't actually all that tolerated in Japan, for obvious reasons, and it gives them a somewhat bad image.

I also fucking hate popular LPers. They are all obnoxious pricks who made me laugh once or twice, but only out of despair and as a defense mechanism. I fucking hate those people. One LPer/steamer who is actually funny, Supergreatfriend, is known for his bonderline stoicism, choice of games that are so bad it's good, and blatant disregard for offensive or misogynistic things, before going into emotional rants about something minor and trivial. And he's entertaining, funny, but gets very few views.

Pewdiepie is a loud, idiotic, obnoxious douchebag whose only slightly entertaining trait is his absurd hatred of wooden containment mechanisms. And even then, that's about as entertaining as giving a 3-hour lecture on the history of etcha-sketches.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
I have a blind, burning hatred of extraneous apostrophes in fantasy and sci-fi languages. I am often mocked for this, but I've devoted a lot of time to conlanging[footnote]How much time? Enough that the word "conlanging" doesn't sound ridiculous to me anymore.[/footnote] and it pains me to see it done poorly.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
SilverBullets000 said:
Strange and irrational...

Having a setting on an odd number. Volume, brightness, contrast, whatever; if it's set to an odd number, I feel a strange sense of annoyance cross my mind and need to bump it up/down to an even number.

Actual rage: Torn pages out of comic books. I just finished reading a manga earlier that had three ripped pages (one out of one scene and two out of another) and felt the need to punt someone through a window. Fucking vandal.
I know what that's like - your first bugbear. I get really annoyed if the tv I'm watching volume isn't set to a number that is a multiple of 5. Any numbers in between just won't cut it.

Anything on the front page of a tabloid newspaper. If you think that constitutes "news" important enough to appear on the front page then I'm afraid at least some part of your brain isn't working.

Forced apologies. That's one of the worst. A public figure makes a statement, which somebody somewhere is inevitably offended by. The whole thing is blown out proportion desperate to turn everything into a major scandal until person who made the original statement is forced to apologise. Because an apology someone is forced to make, whether they actually mean it or not is the best kind of apology there is. Really.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
90% of all Youtube commenters. Seriously, it's a cesspool for stupidity. Especially when it comes to fandoms. PewDiePie's in particular. While I myself love PewDiePie and find him quite entertaining, so many of the comments are either poorly written, don't make sense, are trying to appeal to him, filled with the ugliest of emoticons, or the worst, people who try to promote their own channel by spamming the comments.

Another thing I don't understand why, but I hate people on Twitter who ask celebrities and people they like to follow them with the "please follow me, it would mean the world to me and I'd be so happy" bullshit. Like, what changes in your life by Johnny Depp reading that you ate breakfast? Why would he even follow someone who just randomly asks him? Are you living in some sort of weird fantasy where your boring everyday tweets will indirectly seduce him?

And the final thing, people who feel the need to update their social networks with every single facet of their life. I don't care that you had coffee with your boyfriend like you do everyday, it's not relevant or interesting in any way!

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Probably anyone who wants people to stop liking the things they don't like. PC vs. console on this site is about to drive me insane.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
The rules. There's too damn many. I'm not talking about laws, as much as unwritten social rules, largely problematic because they are unwritten, and you're left to guess them. And there seems to be more rules than ever now.

If you get something wrong, people will start hurting you, trying to make you go away, and if you keep getting things wrong, they'll get rid of you. It seems so unfair. I've tried all my life to please "the normal people" to stay out of their way, to prioritise their rights over mine so they won't harm me. It's absurd. You stand in the wrong place for too long, you've broken the rules. You look at the wrong person, you've broken the rules. Fuck, your choice of hat can lead to you breaking the rules. None of it makes sense, none of it makes for a nice world, but they still get to decide the rules, and they still get to hurt you if you try to resist.

Sep 13, 2009
Let's Plays. Maybe I've just been seeing the wrong ones (getting most of my exposure from the ones my brother spends most of his days watching)but I've yet to witness one that doesn't at some point devolve to "screaming in silly voices with a game in the background". And then there's plenty of LPers who make that their entire thing. The more savory of the lot also have a clever routine where they keep mentioning how they're going to rape everything in sight. With their penises. And some of these get millions of views. They're professionals!

Whenever I do watch them (to see what the gameplay of a game is like mainly) I have to put them on mute because they're so incredibly obnoxious. Except for this one I found demoing the Oculus Rift with Outlast. He talked like a normal person, and had no intention of trying to inject all of the winning personality the other popular Let's Player's put into theirs. Of course, he only had a couple thousand views. Probably because he didn't scream enough and didn't talk in a stupid voice

Even without all of those factors I just don't get the appeal. Why I'd want to watch someone else having fun playing a game is just something I don't get. Maybe if I couldn't play the game because of some circumstances? Or if it's really, really bad and I don't want to buy it? Even then I would much rather just see the game without the flavorful commentary

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Nadia Castle said:
People who watch reality television. Seriously, there is no actual reason to be any more annoyed by people watching X-Factor or Honey Boo Boo than there is anything else out there, and I don't even really watch TV.

But god dammit do I want to strangle every idiot who gawks at it then complain about the people they see on them DESPITE the fact it's deliberately filmed and edited to make the different from you as freakish as possible so you will tune in. It's like watching a child smacking itself in the head with a crowbar and crying when you tell it to stop.

Excuse me I need to go repair the numerous holes I've just punched into the wall.
Except for my given example (see OP), I don't mind people watching it. The people I DO mind are the ones who sit there and complain about how horrible Dance Mom's is for the kids and then...continue to watch Dance Mom. It's the same people who cry about how shameless paparazzi are for stalking celebrities while buying tabloids (thus giving the paparazzi the only reason to exist).

Dragonheart57

Jun 13, 2011
People who use the word 'decimate' wrong. It sounds cool, but I find it hard to take anyone seriously when they say decimated when they mean annihilated or destroyed.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Vocal clarity on intercoms. Is it a rule to have the worst possible technology? It always seems to sound like they all bought $15 walkie-talkies from Wal-Mart to install in their equipment and give out to their employees. I have never been able to understand a damn thing anyone says on a taxi or bus radio, so I always have to ask someone what they said and they're usually just as clueless. It's even more aggravating when the computer announcing the destination via the on-board speakers is perfectly audible.

This came into play when a few of the subway stations were shut down and the train was going to be rerouted at a certain location. Problem is I had no idea what they said and neither did my neighbours until after it happened.

Also?
watch?v=_tOakzcUx_A