Street Fighter VI - 3rd Strike Times Two.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Haven't got it yet, but I hear Chun-Li's not so good in this game.
Interesting? I'm inclined to agree with u/Brawlman instinct here- she is tricky.

So what I decided to do, in wanting to try out all the characters, is to let World Tour guide me. It's gonna go like this:
I play some World Tour until I encounter a character. Then I go to Fighting Ground and learn about them, try them out. Complete their arcade mode for their "story" and some practice. Do some matches, try some combos or whatever.
So I went back and did Luke's arcade (his "story" is that he likes to fight, lol, this game is so stupid), then Chun Li's and spent some time with her in matches. Lost my Bronze rank with her because yes, I absolutely suck with her.

But... she's so cool. She was actually my first favorite character back in the SF2 days. And so far the most changed in how they operate. In SF2, the heel kick was sort of its own special move, and in order to do the many super fast kicks move you would just keep smashing the button. Here it's like a fireball move, and I'm guessing they did that so that you can add the overdrives and have it come out of a cancel or combo or whatever.

What makes Chun Li tricky is she also has this move where she sort of sits down and that gives you like 3 MORE moves that can be really useful, like a sliding thing and kick up into the air, which can really confuse an opponent. Also, she has these jump kicks that can end up on the other side of you.
The spinning bird kick only really looks effective as part of a combo though and her fireball is kinda shit but I remember it being that way in previous games too, like they felt sorry for her and gave her a projectile.

My impression is that Chun Lik is a combo-heavy fighter. The few rounds I won involved me stringing together those super fast kicks after light attacks and it feels amazing to execute and looks awesome.
She may not end up being as popular a choice for people who want to main "hot chick that kicks a lot" with Juri and Cammy in the roster as well.

Keep in mind I will abstain from any opinion about characters being bad or good because I will chalk up poor performance to my own incompetence.

It looks like the next stop on my World Tour will be Marissa and I look forward to trying out a big bruiser/grappling.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
She's very technical, prolly will take some time before people can do the good stuff with her.
So in other words: people blaming their lack of skills on a character. Called it.
She may not end up being as popular a choice for people who want to main "hot chick that kicks a lot" with Juri and Cammy in the roster as well.
She is. It's just that you got ladies with other types of kicks. Though Juri does more kicking than out of the three present. If not Juri, then it's Elena who does the most. And while Cammy does kick, she's doubles as a grappler and wrestler with military combat.

Keep in mind I will abstain from any opinion about characters being bad or good because I will chalk up poor performance to my own incompetence.
Damn straight!

It looks like the next stop on my World Tour will be Marissa and I look forward to trying out a big bruiser/grappling.
I'll be doing WT later today.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Yeah Chun's crouched stance is what makes her tricky, she has basically two sets of normals, and it's not like Jamie where you unlock them gradually and can function with the basic kit if need be, you need to figure out the whole thing right away to play her right.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yeah Chun's crouched stance is what makes her tricky, she has basically two sets of normals, and it's not like Jamie where you unlock them gradually and can function with the basic kit if need be, you need to figure out the whole thing right away to play her right.
There's a sequence of moves/possibilities I see where Chun Li can be devastating.
Right now as a beginner player the most annoying opponents are those good with Ryu and Guile- the ones that keep you at a middle distance with projectiles and punish you for going after them.
Chun's sitting stance can be activated right before a projectile hits as they go over her head. Then the moves you could do from the stance vary and the right one would punish the projectile thrower's response to your stance. They jump? You high kick 'em. The come at you? You low kick for a hard knock down. They are already in your face? You punch and launch into a combo. They maintain distance? You slide punch.

Now... that all sounds brilliant in my head. Actually trying to execute any of that? lol, game over for me. But between that and lightning kicks and the thicc, I'm always gonna stan the OG SF girl.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
There's a sequence of moves/possibilities I see where Chun Li can be devastating.
Right now as a beginner player the most annoying opponents are those good with Ryu and Guile- the ones that keep you at a middle distance with projectiles and punish you for going after them.
Chun's sitting stance can be activated right before a projectile hits as they go over her head. Then the moves you could do from the stance vary and the right one would punish the projectile thrower's response to your stance. They jump? You high kick 'em. The come at you? You low kick for a hard knock down. They are already in your face? You punch and launch into a combo. They maintain distance? You slide punch.

Now... that all sounds brilliant in my head. Actually trying to execute any of that? lol, game over for me. But between that and lightning kicks and the thicc, I'm always gonna stan the OG SF girl.
I believe ex flying bird kick is also projectile invuln and nets you a combo on hit, maybe try that too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
SF6 World Tour Mode. It's like a cross between Street Fighter, Yakuza, Final Fight, and an RPG. The story mode is pretty much Final Fight 4 with a custom character as the main protag. It eases you into learning the fighting game mechanics, and does it well. There are even mini games jobs/activates spread across the map you can do any time. I am currently on Chapter 3-3. The game just introduce the night and day cycle, you can switch between anytime when at a hideout. The mode autosaves, so you never have to worry about optional saves. I really want to get to part where you can get Ryu, Zangief, and Kimberly as your master(s), because I really want a mix of ninja and wrestling moves to build my proper Final Fight character, with some fireballs thrown in.

There's some nice exploration thrown in as well. You're gonna want to find those fast travel bus stops too, btw. Especially if you wan to get to some where quicker, or want to avoid tougher fights at night. More street gangs come after you at night. Once you meet a master, you can switch between their fighting styles anytime. The more you use their fighting style, or give them specific gifts, your bond grows stronger and you get new moves from them, and eventually learn their Super Arts. See this? More fighting games need single player content like this to keep new and old players engaged and replay value. Future fighting games can no longer slack off on content after Capcom set a new-old bar. FTR, the SF6 wasn't the first fighting game to have RPG elements, but it's quickly gaining positive traction for it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
More SF6 World Tour. I did a side quest and got more plane tickets (10), so I can travel back and forth to different countries a lot more often, if I choose. I am currently on Chapter 8, and I got my character to level 20. I gave him a mix of Luke, Dee Jay, and Chun-Li's move set. Stopping for tonight, because I've been playing all afternoon to evening.

This game hit in the nostalgia feels when accessing the subway! They play a hip hop remix of the subway station theme from Final Fight when fighting all of the gang members in a train! Oh, it felt so good! Getting to Urban Park nets you a great retro intro that summarizes the plot of FFi1.

Here's all of the ways to find masters, if anyone is interested. I'll be using it, because I want those moves, damn it!

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So what I'm focusing on now is antiairing right with Jamie, his dp doesn't hit high so you have to do it super late compared to a shoryu, which is messing me up something fierce.

On the other hand, the fact that I get free drinks against zoners is something amazing. Every time Blanka does a random safe ball from full screen, free drink. There hasn't been a more elegant way of shutting down ball spam in all of SF.

Also I fought some really strong Kim players, by and far the best people I've fought so far, they must have either grinded the beta like crazy or played the cracked version cause it was all super optimal stuff. She's a LOT faster than she seems, that dashing slide goes full screen in like 25f. I get why she lost her DP in the main game. One of them stuck around enough where I adapted but I'm not doing optimal things yet and a messing stuff up a lot so I only won like 3 games out of 20something, but there were a ton of close calls too so I felt I learned a ton, the most by far compared to all those other fights I won with relative ease.

Gotta embrace those beatdowns, best way to learn.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I didn't realize World Tour had so much of Final Fight in it. Because I did play Final Fight in arcades all those many years ago, but I can't say I remember any of it.

I'm enjoying World Tour but I am annoyed at how many random fights there are. Yesterday I was just trying to figure out how to get to a side quest on the stupid map and I was attacked constantly. I didn't even have a second to orient myself. And yeah, I know, it's street fighter, and the fights are easy, and it was at night (but the side quest was only available at night!). Just really really irritating and time wasting.

But I am going REAL slow in World Tour, because stop and go play matches for hours and using it to try all the characters.

Yesterday and this morning I had some major revelations with this game:

1- I was showing the game to my wife- lucky her, right? lol... and was going through character selection and she noticed that under each character it says like "Easy/Normal/Hard." So.. each character has a difficulty? I totally didn't notice that! I presume it means like how hard it is to use them? Wild! Of course I was really into gitting gud with Chun Li and she's listed as hard because... of course.
But honestly I don't know if I'm gonna agree with those difficulties. The ones with some extra management item like Kimberley's spray paint seem "hard" to me but she's considered easy. And Marissa is easy and I really did not like user her style since all she does is punch. But I guess Chun Li is "hard" because of all her weird moves or whatever... but that's cool.

2- *sigh* Modern controls. I did it, I'm into it.
Look- I'm still committed to my classic controls, alright? But I got two controls going- the dualsense, which really is not conducive to Classic because hard hits are shoulder buttons and that makes jesus cry- and a fight controller, which cannot be used to navigate the avatar in World Tour and Battle Hub. And yes, the game allows you to switch controllers but that is just a pain in the ass.
Also I encountered a side mission in World Tour that literally required modern controls- the missions are to teach you fight mechanics and this one was to teach you about the modern control assist button.

More importantly, I found Lily in World Tour. And when I find a character I stop WT to learn some of their style. Well, Lily's best move- a really irritating grab throw- requires spinning the d-pad or joystick around. I have blocked the trauma of being unable to do those moves in SF2 which is why I never used Zangief. That is to say- I simply cannot use classic controls for Lily (and, presumable Zangief when I get to him). So I concluded I will have to use classic controls for some characters, modern for others. And I realized I'm happy about that- just adds more variety. I have a self-assigned casual mode- dualsense controller, using characters I don't care that much about and my goofy avatar- and a hardcore mode- fight controller, "important" characters like Chun Li and Ryu/Ken. And I got two games in one game.

So last thing I did was go through Lily's arcade story with modern control, just spinning around like a maniac. Fun!
But I also ran up against the limitation of modern control. You see her signature mechanic is this wind thing where she "charges" winds and if you do moves with winds they're stronger. In classic control this is down-back punch. Light punch is just the charge, the other two punches end with an attack. But with modern, you just hold back and the "special" button, not allowing you to select which of the three you use. And what happens is one with an attack. Problem is, the attack is slow and will miss and then you're vulnerable. So I dunno how you're supposed to just charge your wind with modern control. Either I haven't figured that out or there is not way, this is the sacrifice of modern control. The trade off benefit of course is I can just walk up to an enemy, press special and toss them around lol.

I learned a couple more things from videos and reddits and whatnot:

1- Ranking is per character. I mean... awesome! I just assumed because you have your profile and a character select in your profile, that you are ranked as a player and the whole point of having a "main" is to have your best character in ranked matches. I was just happily going into ranked with different characters accepting whatever happened (i.e., getting my ass handed to me with Marissa like a chump) and apparently that's the way it was in previous SF's but here you get character-based ranks... so I guess you have 18 different ranks?! Crazy. Cool, I love it.

2- In order to unlock some achievements and artwork you have to beat the arcade mode with each character 3 times. Since it's just 5 matches and a truck I don't mind it and look forward to it.

I made Iron with Chun Li! I know Iron ain't nothin' but I'm proud of myself

So here's a vid of some dude playin' some better dude using Chun Li:

And what's interesting is that I don't see Chun Li doing that sitting thing, which I assumed was crucial to becoming good with her. He's just playing basic smart positioning stuff.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn't realize World Tour had so much of Final Fight in it. Because I did play Final Fight in arcades all those many years ago, but I can't say I remember any of it.
And you call yourself a Street Fighter & Final Fight fan! The shame!/s

- I was showing the game to my wife- lucky her, right? lol... and was going through character selection and she noticed that under each character it says like "Easy/Normal/Hard." So.. each character has a difficulty? I totally didn't notice that! I presume it means like how hard it is to use them? Wild! Of course I was really into gitting gud with Chun Li and she's listed as hard because... of course.
But honestly I don't know if I'm gonna agree with those difficulties. The ones with some extra management item like Kimberley's spray paint seem "hard" to me but she's considered easy. And Marissa is easy and I really did not like user her style since all she does is punch. But I guess Chun Li is "hard" because of all her weird moves or whatever... but that's cool.
I did arcade mode which Chun-li last night. I actually didn't have much trouble with her moves at all. Then again, I played her before and past titles, and not too much has changed with her. And don't worry about modern or classic, you do you and have fun. I plan to do the same when I get Zangief moves and put it on modern controls for modern controls. I'll still practice with classic to get used to it.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
The difficulty recommendation is more of a straightforwardness gauge. The chars with a simple gameplan are rated easier than the ones with specific things they wanna do like grapplers and zoners, but it doesn't translate to how hard it is to actually play the char. Like Zangief is rated as hard but he's the easiest char in the game, he just has to be played in a very specific way to do anything.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The difficulty recommendation is more of a straightforwardness gauge. The chars with a simple gameplan are rated easier than the ones with specific things they wanna do like grapplers and zoners, but it doesn't translate to how hard it is to actually play the char. Like Zangief is rated as hard but he's the easiest char in the game, he just has to be played in a very specific way to do anything.
So how easy are we talking? I plan on using his moves when I meet him in World Tour mode. Not much of a Zangief player, but I just want his spinning lariat and his ex spinning pile driver, when I need him in World Tour. I know I can try it out in practice mode, but I'm just asking.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
omg I just watched a video clip explaining that sitting stance for Chun Li means you don't have to charge to through the fireball or the helicopter kick. yo.. that changes the whole thing! I hate charge moves!
I was trying to do combo trial that had sitting attack into fireball and I could not understand for the life of me how that makes any sense because of the charge.. but you don't have to charge! Oh man I can't way to get home and try that out.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So how easy are we talking? I plan on using his news when I meet him in World Tour mode. Not much of a Zangief player, but I just want his spinning lariat and his ex spinning pile driver, when I need him in World Tour. I know I can try it out in practice mode, but I'm just asking.
You just need like 3 good guesses per round, he does absurd damage with his grabs. No need to work on combo routes too much and hitconfirms, just do anything into lariat and then put on the guessing game for the win.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I have played through Marisa's and Lily's arcade modes 3x and did a few matches. I did not expect them to become favorites and, no, they are not.
Lily is a bit of an unfortunate character and I am guessing will be the least popular character. I mean, she's a literal child? In terms of moves and fight style, everything she does seems like someone else has a better version. Flying around air grabs and stomps? Kimberley. Charge/resource mechanic? Jamie.
I'm glad they have indigenous representation and someone from Latin America that is not a literal monster, but a doofy happy child with literal weapons has not appeal to me and, from what I see so far in terms of player and fan reception, very few others. She may be an actual miss as a character.

Marisa I like that shes' there- I have not interest in using her but someone that can punch through things is a nice addition to the cast.

JP has apparently become a point of contention, as I expected, because he's all projectiles and range and cheap bullshit lol.

I spent a tiny bit more time with Chun Li and it was disastrous. I was so excited to try combos with the lotus stance after reading that it removes the need for charge but I could not execute them at all. And then trying to do some matches I just couldn't react to anything. I really really really sucked at everything last night. It was especially disheartening when I faced another Chun Li in Iron rank (we were even both wearing red outfits!) and it was close but I just couldn't.. I dunno.. block.. I just get overwhelmed real easy and flustered.. and lost two back-to-back matches with someone who seemed exactly at my level. Like I could actually see their mistakes but I couldn't capitalize.

Anyway, my next character to try out will be Cammy, certainly a fun character no matter how long I try her for, what with all the flying around and butt posing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
someone from Latin America that is not a literal monster,
Laura (SFV) and Sean (SF III) are from Brazil, and are half Japanese. El Fuerte (SFIV) is a Mexican luchador wrestler. I do appreciate the love and care you are showing.

Lily is a bit of an unfortunate character and I am guessing will be the least popular character. I mean, she's a literal child?
She's supposed to be about 14. She's the May of this game. As for likeability and popularity, there are a good amount of Lily players out there. Most fans seem to like her just fine. Not my type of character to the play as, but I enjoy the representation.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Laura (SFV) and Sean (SF III) are from Brazil, and are half Japanese. El Fuerte (SFIV) is a Mexican luchador wrestler. I do appreciate the love and care you are showing.

She's supposed to be about 14. She's the May of this game. Asking likeability and popularity, there are a good amount of Lily players out there. Most fans seem to like her just fine. Not my type of character to the play as, but I enjoy the representation.
I have not played Street Fighter since SF2, so I don't know all these characters you talking about. I mean I messed around super casually for like literally an hour on either 4 or 5 and I remember there was some funny huge fat guy. All my SF character knowledge goes from SF2 (and some of its later additions which is why I remember Cammy and Deejay) and now this one.
Like I see people saying "Kimberly is this game's Guy" and I don't know what they talking about, to me she's a bold new original character. But that is part of the fun for me anyway.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Guy is that ninja dude in red from alpha, he's pretty cool.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Like I see people saying "Kimberly is this game's Guy" and I don't know what they talking about, to me she's a bold new original character. But that is part of the fun for me anyway.
It's because she shares some of his move sets, and Kimberly is the new successor to Guy's teachings. Before Kimberly, Maki was the female version of Guy (Final Fight 2, Capcom versus SNK2, and Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper). Maki was also Capcom's answers in equivalent to SNK'S Main at the time. Despite only appearing in three games, she still made cameos every now and then.

But you are correct, Kimberly is her own character.

Last edited: