Street Fighter VI - 3rd Strike Times Two.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I'm having a real problem with this game now... I keep deferring my desire to train and git gud by slumming it in Arcade and World Tour mode with modern controls and grinding pointless accomplishments. I'm still a single-player gamer at heart. *sigh*
You can get good in single player modes to a degree, just do tutorials and combo trials. Also we could just play sometime if you want some tips for what to focus on more specifically.

Also if you get good enough, eventually even versus mode will be a single player game, with your opponent unable to do anything. That's the end goal. It all comes back to single player :D.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
World tour mode is good and fun, Dunkey. Sounds like he only got a few hours in, then went on to something else. The rest of the review is great though.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I completed the penultimate chapter of World Tour, got my character to level 50, and master-ranked up Chun Li to max.
While I'm enjoying it mostly, I have definitely hit the point where it's incredibly grindy. Sure I didn't mind putting on some Widespread Panic and grinding up XP but it really killed the giddy momentum of the experience. And I see there are side mission fight characters at like level 79 lol. Some internetting reveals that the last fight is at level 59 so even with me doing every side mission I come across I am still only at level 53 and I either gotta grind money to buy a fuckton of energy drinks to spam during the last fights for the last mission or grind more levels (I'll probably do that latter to level up some more Masters).
So it kinda sucks that you can't really just do the story without some real cheesiness or grinding. Oh well.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Completed arcade mode 3x with each character. Just a couple of thoughts on some characters:

Juri was more fun than I expected. I don't like the mechanic of stocking up on things but I like that hers is also a kick- so as an anti-air or part of a combo, you are adding the stock so you don't really have to think about it too much.

Jamie is the opposite- I love the drunken boxer breakdancer thing but the drink mechanic is horseshit, especially since it leaves you so vulnerable AND they don't carry over to the next round like Manon's thing does. I will probably never play this character again.

Kimberly and Cammy are a lot of fun to button mash and string together some moves; on the flip side, they feel "weak" to go toe to toe against opponents.

JP is funny- absolutely feels cheap to play against but when I actually played as him, his moves felt so slow. I'm hoping that if/when I get to the point where I take giting gud more seriously I should be able to get inside his purple nonsense.

I was wondering if the new game would effectively change by negative opinion about Zangief and Dhalsim and... not really? I just don't like slow guys, I guess.

Guile is also slow as heck. He is basically JP to me- just jerks that throw things from far away instead of fight. Lame. Yes, this is as a Chun-Li fan who has the worst fireball hahah.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kimberly and Cammy are a lot of fun to button mash and string together some moves; on the flip side, they feel "weak" to go toe to toe against opponents.
Cami you have some points, as she has weaker hits, but moves faster. Kim is deadly in the hands of a decently competent player. And an expert player will tear somebody to shreds.

Guile is also slow as heck. He is basically JP to me- just jerks that throw things from far away instead of fight. Lame. Yes, this is as a Chun-Li fan who has the worst fireball hahah.
Guile you just have to know how to use properly. Granted, I'm not too big on charge characters, but he's not that hard to use. I will say that I do prefer his level 2 install super, over his regular level 1.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Jamie is the opposite- I love the drunken boxer breakdancer thing but the drink mechanic is horseshit, especially since it leaves you so vulnerable AND they don't carry over to the next round like Manon's thing does. I will probably never play this character again.

So the deal with Jamie is that some of his attacks have drink-variations (like Juri's kick charge thing), like his rekka if done with kicks automatically gives him a drink, his sweep has a drink followup too. You are not really supposed to do the down down drink move much at all actually. About the only time you would use it is when someone is legit turtling from full screen away, or when you landed the rush palm OD which has them tumbling away and allows you to get 2 drinks for free. Besides that, the idea for the char is to just fight and get hits and convert them into drink-combos. Also his lvl 2 super instantly fills him with 4 drinks so you can just use that and go to town.

A lot more complicated than something like Ryu where he just dps and shoots fireballs until he gets lvl 3 super, but a lot more fun to execute too. And yeah he is one of the hardest chars in the game.

As for drinks carrying in the next round, they "kinda" do since usually you will have 2 bars of meter in round 2, during which time you get to do this:

I've had numerous fights which started with this exact combo and concluded with a very, very fast perfect, before the lvl 2 super ran out, and a ton more which left me at a huge lead thanks to it.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yes there are moves that include drinks and also moves that can include drinks if you hold down a button.
But that is still animation happening where you're vulnerable that was exploited by CPU level 6. And CPU level 6 are not that high, I am stable able to mostly defeat by spamming fireballs.

I mean, I'm not dismissing your point but I still just don't like the drinking thing I guess. FWIW I feel the same way about Lily's wind thing. And I'm just comparing it to Juri's and Manon's banking systems that are easier for me to use and seemingly more powerful, respectively.

But honestly the only character with a banking system I would seriously consider using now is Kimberley anyway because she is, IMO, the coolest looking character anyway, and I don't feel the spray can bomb is her 'core" mechanic that way it those other ones are for those characters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finally got my character to level 50! Hopefully, it's enough to get through the final chapter. I lost some continues, but I have 30 of them. I am stocked on a ton of health items and boosters. I did some grinding on the subway and ate food that boosts your exp quicker.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yes there are moves that include drinks and also moves that can include drinks if you hold down a button.
But that is still animation happening where you're vulnerable that was exploited by CPU level 6. And CPU level 6 are not that high, I am stable able to mostly defeat by spamming fireballs.

I mean, I'm not dismissing your point but I still just don't like the drinking thing I guess. FWIW I feel the same way about Lily's wind thing. And I'm just comparing it to Juri's and Manon's banking systems that are easier for me to use and seemingly more powerful, respectively.

But honestly the only character with a banking system I would seriously consider using now is Kimberley anyway because she is, IMO, the coolest looking character anyway, and I don't feel the spray can bomb is her 'core" mechanic that way it those other ones are for those characters.
Basically you have to combo into those moves, not just do em and hope they hit, if you combo into them you're always safe after, and in some cases still at advantage and can keep pressuring. Also the Ai just reads your inputs so it knows what you did instantly, I'm more talking about fighting vs people here. The drink dynamic is different when you have an opponent who is made to be reckless cause if they're not you will get away with free drinks, you get to put the pressure on them from full screen and make them make mistakes, which adds to the mindgames.

Kim's spraycans are corner oki tools, like you do a combo, set it out, then do a throw, and then it explodes and lets you combo off of the throw, stuff like that. Definitely not nearly as central to her gameplan.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Gotta love it when combos do no damage but keep going for ever XD

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Only problem with this combo is that they usually die before the super!

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
While I'm genuinely feeling a lot of frustration with the game, Sterling's video is a delight and I do hope many other folks are deriving joy from the game.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
While I genuinely don't get what's different from doing forward and button as opposed to a dp motion (if the issue isn't the dexterity but just remembering the input) either way more people playing is always good. Also I think the customization in this game suits Jim's tastes too, I remember the char he had on Code Vein lol.