Student Faces Ten-Year Sentence for Modding Consoles

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Your article doesn't say what the modded consoles were capable of doing, this makes it difficult to form an opinion of the situation.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
He was doing something that is illegal and he knew it was wrong. A stiff punishment to be sure, but hardly undeserved.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
10 years? screw that, I don't care what the consoles do when modded, 10 years is nonsense.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
Flionk said:
He was in fact doing it for financial gain. Sounds like he ran a modding service, where people would send him their consoles and pay him to get them modded. If it were just some guy modding his own console, nobody would care - why would they even be investigating that, and for that matter, how? - it's the fact that he was actively spreading these mods for profit. Like someone who manufactures and sells mod chips.
Exactly. Well said.

It just like movie pirating. The feds aren't going to get anyone that's just copying for themselves. They are going to get people that are copying and distributing (i.e: seeding torrents or selling discs).

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
avykins said:
Besides, mod chips are also good for other territories that want to play alternate versions of games. I do not know if they still do it now but back in the PSX/PS2 ages different countries would quite often get different versions of games.
This being the only LEGITIMATE reason to mod a console. I'd still like to play the PS2 Macross game.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Jumplion said:
Malygris said:
"Playing with games in this way is not a game - it is criminal," said I.C.E. agent Robert Schoch.
Oh Mai Gawd, I'm sure we was just oozing to make that pun all his life!
I facepalmed hard when I read that. I bet his name got put in for promotion for looking "clever" when he used that line as well.

Malygris said:
Full details surrounding the case haven't yet come out but at this stage
I'd be interested to know the full details, but if he was modding people's consoles for profit I can see why they'd arrest him.

10 years though? Eh...bit excessive, even if it is just to make an example. If he does get that it might get reduced on appeal though.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Jimmyjames said:
He was doing something that is illegal and he knew it was wrong. A stiff punishment to be sure, but hardly undeserved.
This. Modding consoles and playing games without paying for them is basically stealing intellectual property.

That said, "hello pot, my name is kettle..." ;)

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
avykins said:
The thing I find really interesting about this topic is if the OP is against piracy, generally most of the posters will be dead set against it too. Saying how 10 years for piracy is a just, fair punishment.
As the OP said he thinks it is a joke to get 10 years when murderers get less, all of a sudden most posters are agreeing with that.

On Topic: I have always said these anti piracy laws are a joke. No matter if it is movies, music or gaming. You could walk up and punch britney spears in the face a few times (something I imagine a lot of us would want to do) and face a lesser maximum punishment than if you downloaded all of her music (something none of us want to do) so the guy has modded hardware which he paid for. That in itself (outside the US) is not illegal. So at most they should just confiscate items and be on their way. Maybe check on him now and then.
Haha this genuinely made me laugh, thanks! Now I can think about punching that insane, inane, bimbo in the face whilst I sleep!

I can't stand the severity of the DMCA. Piracy isn't even as bad as stealing real goods yet the sentences tend to be worse (the reasons are all over the internet, so I'm not going to get into a large debate). It's just the government's pathetic "OH SHI-!" reaction to a trend they can't control.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I think a few of you are missing a key word here maximum. This is precisely the reason why crimes don't have a set sentence. From the facts given it's doubtful the judge with throw the maximum sentence at him. He will probably get a year or two of probation and hefty fines. So enough with this OMG 10 YEARS! tomfoolery. Now if he actually got sentenced to that than, you can come back and complain about it.

cowbell40

Jun 12, 2009
I agree that the sentence is too harsh, but he was definitely up to no good. I mean, nobody with 12 modded consoles is using it for personal use; he was obviously running some kind of modding business. I do think that nobody would have cared if he had just been using it himself.

Sillyiggy

Jun 12, 2008
The extremity of the punishments for such types of piracy are indicative of government priorities. It is more important to punish people who allegedly hurt sales than people who commit violent crime, actual burglary, etc.

The other option is that this isn't so much that they think it is a worse crime but that it is so much harder to prosecute this crime than others so anytime they do they try to make an example out of the person. The problem is, all the numbers they use to try and figure out how much piracy really goes on and how much this piracy effects the real money loss for companies is cooked up by the companies themselves.

Almost every pirate I have known would not buy the product in question if they could not pirate it. They would rather go without and they would go without if they could not find a way to pirate it, like a friend I had who modded a PS2 but could not mod a PS3 so he did not buy one or any games for it. So I am skeptical of data that indicates that piracy is killing entertainment industries.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
MaxTheReaper said:
Malygris said:
"they can also pose significant health and safety risks to consumers."
What the fuck did he do, put C4 in it or something?

How is modding a game console dangerous to your health or safety?
If I had to take a guess, I imagine he is referring to that fact that you are modding the electronics while not being certified to do so. In theory your changes could start a fire or something along that line.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Since when the hell do murderers get less than ten years in jail? Ever? Please, someone, go find me one case. Maybe a guy who like... accidentally dropped something from a tall building, causing it to land on and kill a 115 year old man, who had no friends or family.

LimeJester

Mar 16, 2009
This seems really crazy to me. And not even the verdict, but the article says they put a years worth of investigation into this guy to nab him. Don't the authorities have better things to spend a year on other than this? Think of all the wasted time and resources that investigation used. And instead of throwing the guy into jail why not make him do community service? Improve the world a bit, instead of locking him up and making him a drain to society. He's not a violent or dangerous offender so why lock him away from society?

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
The Bandit said:
Since when the hell do murderers get less than ten years in jail? Ever? Please, someone, go find me one case. Maybe a guy who like... accidentally dropped something from a tall building, causing it to land on and kill a 115 year old man, who had no friends or family.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/browns/2009-06-15-stallworth-dui-case_N.htm