Student Faces Ten-Year Sentence for Modding Consoles

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I'll wait to hear about what he did with the modded consoles before judging him. We're missing some key details.

Dastardos

Jan 4, 2009
Malygris said:
"Playing with games in this way is not a game - it is criminal," said I.C.E. agent Robert Schoch. "Piracy, counterfeiting and other intellectual property rights violations not only cost U.S. businesses jobs and billions of dollars a year in lost revenue, they can also pose significant health and safety risks to consumers."
What health risks come from purchasing a modded console?

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
I said it before and I'll say it again: You get less for murder and rape. That says it all.
Well, definitely less for rape. Which is absurd.

Murder, it depends. Like on where you live. Some folks convicted of murder get life in prison, or execution (hey, it still happens).

I wonder if you get more time for profiting from illegal copying than you do for Grand Theft Auto? That would be messed up.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
I said it before and I'll say it again: You get less for murder and rape. That says it all.
No it doesn't. The article says "possible 10 years". You hardly ever get the maximum penalty. Even if, maximum penalty for those two is higher than ten years. Not saying this isn't stupid, but it's important to see the whole image.

Edit:
Dastardos said:
Malygris said:
"Playing with games in this way is not a game - it is criminal," said I.C.E. agent Robert Schoch. "Piracy, counterfeiting and other intellectual property rights violations not only cost U.S. businesses jobs and billions of dollars a year in lost revenue, they can also pose significant health and safety risks to consumers."
What health risks come from purchasing a modded console?
If done badly you can e.g. get electrified when hooking up the console. Although this point is pretty fucking stupid.

DemonI81

Aug 27, 2008
Good. I'm sick of modders and hackers.

Those that think the time is overkill, I agree, but this is obviously meant to send a message.

My question is: Why are they going after a student instead of all the business on the web that sell mod chips and do installs (mods)?

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
HentMas said:
Kriptonite said:
Xvito said:
What be this prison tomfoolery? Robbing people of their freedom... Bah! Before you know it; they'll be taking away our lives as well. Crazy, crazy kids...

--Xvito, keeping it excellent.
You won't let signatures die will you...?

Anyway, this is very retarded. If he was selling them ok, but if it was for him and he wasn't stealing=retarded. People can rape and/or kill someone and not face anything like this. 10 YEARS IN JAIL?? How dumb can you get. It's all over GAME consoles. NOTHING IMPORTANT!! AT ALL! *continues going on but is too profane for this site*
he had over a dozen consoles, believe me, it wasn't for his personal use.
I see, well still. 10 Years? Really? How about paying double for all the consoles again to their respective makers?

DemonI81

Aug 27, 2008
Commander Breetai said:
DemonI81 said:
Good. I'm sick of modders and hackers.

Those that think the time is overkill, I agree, but this is obviously meant to send a message.

My question is: Why are they going after a student instead of all the business on the web that sell mod chips and do installs (mods)?
Oh yeah. I mean how dare I modify my own property to allow me to play foreign games my own county is never getting.
Yeah... that's why you're modding it, like anyone believes that.
If you really wanted to play foreign games, you'd buy a foreign console to do so. Stallion83, the world 360 gamerscore leader, has a console from each region for this purpose.

There is no mod that just unlocks the region. All that unlock the region also allow you to play burned games. You find/come up with a mod that does NOTHING EXCEPT unlock the region and I'll fully support that mod. I think this region lock stuff is ridiculous, but it's pretty obvious that's not why you're modding, since you could by an Arcade from that region for slightly more money and no voided warranty or chance of being banned from whatever online service you're using.

EDIT: How is this sentence different than the people being forced to pay $100,000+ for downloading 4 songs? We all know it's ridiculous, but it's meant to send a message/being used as a scare tactic.. He most likely wont do any time, if he does it wont even be 5 years.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Well, definitely less for rape. Which is absurd.

Murder, it depends. Like on where you live. Some folks convicted of murder get life in prison, or execution (hey, it still happens).

I wonder if you get more time for profiting from illegal copying than you do for Grand Theft Auto? That would be messed up.
Murder with a knife where I live has gotten a fair few people two or so years in prison. Yeah.

Obviously though, yes it does depend. It depends for both really. I'll just say where I live you get less.

Diablini

May 24, 2009
What? Isn't that kind of like an EA move from the developers? He owns the game, he did not pirate it, he probably just opened the files and made flying sheep in the game or something. If he doesn't have the right to do that...
Well we're probably going to have to get a licence from every person who helped develop the game, the studio, the court and the publisher, just to play the friggin' game.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
cobra_ky said:
The Bandit said:
Since when the hell do murderers get less than ten years in jail? Ever? Please, someone, go find me one case. Maybe a guy who like... accidentally dropped something from a tall building, causing it to land on and kill a 115 year old man, who had no friends or family.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/browns/2009-06-15-stallworth-dui-case_N.htm
DUI manslaughter does not equal murder.

Though, yes, that was an insanely lenient sentence.

Next?

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
avykins said:
Not so. I have a modded PSX and thus have a fair selection of backed up games. I play the back ups and my originals all stay nice and perfect and collectible.
Besides the argument that if you mod a console you are automatically a pirate is absolute crap.
If that were the case then the main reason people have CD/DVD writers and burning software must be because they are pirates. You but a 2TB HD, you won't ever need that unless you are pirating shit.
Basically as long as there is 1 other legitimate reason for doing something then people have no right to automatically judge.
Wow, you're so off base, it's not even funny.

A)"I have a modded PSX and thus have a fair selection of backed up games. I play the back ups and my originals all stay nice and perfect and collectible. "

Well, maybe you could justify that, but are you honestly going to tell me that most (certainly not all) of the modded consoles exist to play legitimate backups?

B)"Besides the argument that if you mod a console you are automatically a pirate is absolute crap."

Funny, I don't recall saying that.

C)"If that were the case then the main reason people have CD/DVD writers and burning software must be because they are pirates. You but a 2TB HD, you won't ever need that unless you are pirating shit."

This would be ignoring the uses for such devices including data storage, DVD authoring, Publishing your own (ie: created) music, etc, etc.

Modding a console is ONLY a way to use a device in a way not intended by manufacturers.

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
I agree that ten years is a little harsh, but lest we forget he was breaking the law. Thus he must be punished, I would cut down the sentance a bit, but dont let him off the hook

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
Funny how so many people defend the guy. What he did was illegal, whether you agree with the crime or not. From what the article says, I'm assuming he did modding for other people, or for personal piracy. The law, as described, does not apply to modding for increased performance etc. So, did the crime, he'll do the time, hopefully some idiots out there will learn that not everybody gets away with breaking the law.
I get away with breaking the law every time I drive past a horse and buggy in PA, where it's illegal not to pull over, disassemble your vehicle, and wait for the carriage to pass. For the sake of frightened horses everywhere, someone please arrest me.

Kirky

Oct 30, 2008
Well, for my part I think any kind of prison sentance for something like this is overkill, hefty fines of course, but prison? Overkill.

I mean, when he goes to prison, an American prison, he is going to be surrounded by murderers, rapists, bank robbers etc. Imagine what that would do to a normal person, he would either have to become one of them, or not survive it.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So, he modded them, then sold them? If numerous consoles were found with hardware modifications, then I'd say that yes, for violation of those specific terms in the DCMA to such a degree for personal gain is defenitely worth prison time. Intellectual copyright infringement is one of the largest crimes today. He went in for a bit of personal gain, and got busted for it. It's not entrepreneurship if its someone else's product, and in that, he's no better than the guys selling stuff off the back of the truck--it's not like we complain when they get busted.