Study Says Gamers Get Less Sleep Than Others

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
I can't believe people put money into studies which are bloody obvious. 7 hours a week does seem an strange number, since most people I know get through that in a day.

Feb 13, 2008
Sleep is just a sign of not enough caffeine.

And seriously, 7 hours a week is excessive??? Are we going to look at drivers, doctors, checkout assistants, teachers etc. that spend more than 7 hours a day on their chosen pastime?

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Yeah, this is totally true. I only get 8 to 12 hours of sleep a day, which is most certainly not enough sleep. need 14-16 imho.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
DragunovHUN said:
Sleeping hygiene?
Yeah that confused me aswell...does it mean that players also neglect their hygiene due to lack of sleep, or that lack of sleep makes them dirty? I'd go with the former...but even then, I'm probably in the seven hour plus a day category and I still have time for basic cleanliness.

HeartAttackBob

Sep 11, 2008
Despite all the "duh" comments, this study actually has some interesting implications.

Assuming that most people have some hobby or entertainment activity outside of work, what this study suggests is that gaming is uniquely engaging to players.

Apparently all those non-gamers are so incredibly bored with their bland existences that they would rather sleep. For them, watching TV, making bridges out of toothpicks, polishing their coin collection, or whatever else they do just isn't enough fun to keep them awake at night.

It seems to me this study is a big pat on the back to game developers as a whole: they have created products so awesome that their customers literally loose sleep over it.

MrLS

May 17, 2009
To be honest what Einstien created this study isin't it so damn obvious?

duckfi8

Jan 21, 2009
i don't need sleep, and when Diablo 3 comes out i know not gonna be sleeping much

nik3daz

Jan 1, 2008
Heh, shit. I sit here at 5.35 am in Sydney, the day before an end of session test, reading this.

Still. Sleep isn't just lost to games. We are merely conditioned for gross overextension while still functioning at a capable level. Hell, I can function on 4 hours of sleep per night for a week if I need to (comes in handy for finishing assignments and whatnot). I only game all night once or twice every few months (Wee, Twilight Princess in 2 days).

Get Jiggy

Apr 14, 2009
Do you think that scientists research these things because they can't be bothered to do something more difficult that might actually require alot of work. Bleedin obvious studies are always coming out like this, maybe they should do a study on how lazy researchers are.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Well... the best reply to this one would be: "No shit, Sherlock".

Did you seriously need a study to show that when people play games they'll probably stay up even a whole night if the game itself is imersive, fun, cool etc...Why do people even bother studying something that's, you know, ALREADY KNOWN?!

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
Armored Prayer said:
Interesting.

I spend more than seven hours playing my games, but I manage to get my eight hours of sleep and wake up refreshed.

What would that be categorized as?
Jobless?

I kid, I kid.

Woem

May 28, 2009
WrongSprite said:
7 hours a week! HAHAHAHA

I can manage that in a day.
Yup. [http://www.quakelive.com/#profile/awards/Woem] Notice the "Sick Day" achievement. I wasn't sick...

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Sleep is just a sign of not enough caffeine.

And seriously, 7 hours a week is excessive??? Are we going to look at drivers, doctors, checkout assistants, teachers etc. that spend more than 7 hours a day on their chosen pastime?
i think the fishermen on Deadliest Catch get close to that. and yes my friends day is a doctor and he's lucky to get 7 hours of sleep on his days off

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Excessive gaming is more than 1 hour a day? Fuck that.
In that case, I'm also guilty of excessive breathing, eating, TV watching, sleeping, talking and working. I can cover at least 10 hours in a non-working day, and I spend plenty of time in bed. Ditch this bullshit.

*SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT*

CONGRATULATIONS, YOUR VANGUARD_EX HAS EVOLVED INTO GONE GONZO

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Let's look at these numbers. There are 7 days in week and 24 hours in a day. So 168 hours in a week. The average person, gamer or not, sleeps 7-12 hours a day so between 49 and 84 hours of sleep. So between 84 and 119 hours left. Now let's say this person has an 8 hour work day 5 days a week. Another 40 hours off and you have between 44 and 79 hours of other things to do. This person also spends an hour a day eating. 37 to 72 left. Now let's put the unexcessive limit on there. 30 to 65 hours of anything else for the week. Yeah if you sleep about 7 to 8 hours I'm pretty sure more than an hour a day would not be considered excessive by any human being with sense.