Study Says Gamers Get Less Sleep Than Others

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Hurhurhur Im so glad I have a natural disorderal-need for sleep. I swear I don't get my 8-10 hours o'sleep a day, I conck out like a light. In a raid/onlinematch/important team game. Screw it I will lie down on that keyboard and catch the Zzzz's.

I can fight it sure, but it just means I fall asleep longer the next day. Rampaging elephants cannot penetrate my sluggish mind until at LEAST 7 hours are up...

Seriously... I don't think this study applies to weirdos like me... I game alot but I sleep a whooooole lot too.

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
Yeah it's the lack of sleep that causes us gamers to go on killing spree's...

You can't improve your K/D when sleeping - That's why I don't get early nights.

As others said I am also wondering what "Sleep hygiene" is...I don't wet the bed or anything if that's what it's implying!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Stoic Person Eater said:
7 hours a week is ridiculous to define as excessive. Therefore this whole study is shite to me.
Read more closely:
anyone who plays more than seven hours a week and who identify themselves as addicted to games (people are admitting to this without qualms, apparently) could be considered excessive gamers.
My bolding, obviously. It's not just the 7+ hours, I can manage that in a day sometimes, but I won't call myself addicted. The people mentioned in this study, probably suffer even from that 7+ hours a week: less sleep than they would like to, maybe their work or school suffers as well. It's not that simple.

Anyway, I game a lot more than 7 hours a week, but I don't see myself as addicted (I can easily go days without gaming, if I lack books that is, or else I'll grow bored), and I get a lot less sleep than I should to. But that's not because of my gaming, since I don't game far into the night. I pulled that off a couple of times, sometimes unnoticed, that's a big sign that the game in question will become one of my favorites. Bioshock for example, when I just got that game, I played untill 3:00 in the morning without even noticing. But usually, I quite gaming 3-4 hour before I go to bed, wich is usually around midnight-1:00 AM (not including reading and listening to music in bed, then it usually ends up around 2:00 AM).
If anything nerd/geek related keeps me up, it's the internetz, or more specifically, YOU GUYS! Don't worry, I love you all.

AlmostLikeLife

Apr 24, 2009
It's been said many times before in this thread but I'll say it again.

How can over an hour a day be classified as "excessive"? Apparently, whoever conducted these tests have never seen the true side of gaming.

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
Hmm, I sleep bout... 10 hours a night ? So I'm getting plenty of sleep, and due to been jobless games fills up time inbetween eating etc, so the fact I play for more than 7 hours a week doesn't lose me sleep. And going by everyone elses reaction on here that study is bull :).

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Reaching REM [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_eye_movement_sleep] too quickly is apparently a sign of sleep disorders like narcolepsy.
you know something ironic? Im narcoleptic and I have not slept in over 48 hours. Garys mod Marathon. Urgh...

Trust me people. Being narcoleptic is hard if your someone who doesnt even sleep as much as the average narco would >.< ...I think im gonna go to sleep now...

Hoxton

Oct 10, 2008
Kogarian said:
Armored Prayer said:
Interesting.

I spend more than seven hours playing my games, but I manage to get my eight hours of sleep and wake up refreshed.

What would that be categorized as?
Jobless?

I kid, I kid.
Made me lol.
Thanks!

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
I'll sleep when my head hits the keyboard and the impact doesn't wake me up.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
7 hours a week is excessive gaming...damn am I an addict ;). I've got WAAAAAY more than that. But I sleep just plenty.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
7 hours in a week is excessive? I game more than twice that time per day, and I bet I'm not the only one.