Study Says Videogames "Problematize" Religion as Violent

Nu-Hir

Aug 2, 2008
Treblaine said:
...Why is it that atheists are actually getting up of their ass to make counter-protests, to challenge them in public debates? HOW can most Christians not even know about such an infamous organisation as this?!?! Other than willful ignorance of what their ideology alows?!?
Well, it shouldn't be just atheists who counter-protest WBC, it should be anyone who sees them for who they are, a domestic terror group. I think the only reason they haven't been targeted in a Waco style raid is because they haven't tried to kill anyone over their beliefs (but they have no problems shitting on the memory of those who have died so they could voice their beliefs).

I've found that most do know who the WBC are, they just don't know them by their name. If they don't know the name of Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, KS, you just start mentioning other things. Ask them, "Have you heard of the God Hates Fags people" or "The guys that protest soldiers' funerals" and they'll know who you mean. It's not willful ignorance, it's just that this hate group is so insignificant to their beliefs that learning their name is inconsequential to them.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
So, I think this study is right.

And you know what? I'm okay with that. It's about time that the world starts realizing that organized religion is a problem.

I'm tired of the supporters of religion getting off the hook because "the really crazy ones make the rest of them look bad". I'm sorry, but believing that an invisible man in the sky controls your destiny is exactly what I consider to be "really" crazy!

Jesus Fucking Christ people, get real, get with the times, and let Christianity, Islam, Judaism and all the rest go the way of Zeus and Poseidon. They are heroic and humorous myths, and they are all no more than comic book superheroes.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
lRookiel said:
Erm, who cares? I hope religion burns to the ground! :3
I'm sorry but I really hope it doesn't. There's a reason behind this seemingly maddening statement, however. You see, religion still has a firm hold of power and relevance over many people on this planet. And one thing I've noticed is that when power begins to lose said relevance, it does one of two things: either change to maintain/regain whatever power it has/had OR take down as many other people as it can before it loses all of its power. Any other decision it makes is basically a variation of the two. Now, should religion lose all of that relevance and power at once...

*thinks of World War 3*
*thinks of Einstien's quote regarding said war*
*shudders*

I'd rather it just fades away gradually than burn to the ground. Much less of a chance, then, of you and me burning to the ground with it, wouldn't you say?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
ReiverCorrupter said:
I agree that many traditions might favor people who belong to other religious traditions than nihilists. The real question is why. My sneaking suspicion is that these traditions presume that a religious background will give someone a better moral backbone. That might be true in many circumstances, but I don't think it's true by necessity. A capacity for compassion (which I take to be the real ground of morality) isn't necessarily tied to any belief system.
I think it's more the idea that we're all looking at the same God but in a different way suits some people. I can't do it justice because I feel that different religions are different enough that God would be awfully contradictory, but if you think about what you said about Hindu's then it's very attractive to feel that actually they're looking at God too. And with Hinduism, a Hindu person was describing Hinduism to me once (with a language barrier) and looking only at the surface it took me a while to work out he was talking about Hinduism because he talking about multiple God's but all actually being aspects of the one true God.

ReiverCorrupter said:
The fact that you don't think something finite has worth is a reflection of how you measure worth. If your finite existence was worthless to God, then how could your finite actions be worthy of eternal reward?

Does an infinite, eternal, perfect and transcendent entity really think the rock is awesome? How could something not fulfill God's will? Does God have a will? I have a will because I am a finite being. I exist in space and time, and my will is a reflection of my spatiotemporal nature. It is what drives my actions in the world. When I will something then I act in space and time to bring about a certain state of affairs in a future space and time.
This is the thing, I'm lucky because God is eternal and so what he places value on has eternal meaning, because he can remember that action for eternity, so it doesn't have finite consequence (and ties in nicely about how in the end, it's all about loving what God loves)

And God can think the rock is awesome because he chose to make it and he chose to make good things. However it seems that he chose to make some things with the ability to choose. Maybe because a rock is awesome, but as you said, it can never deviate from his will, but if that rock had choice and chose to exist in the right way, that makes so much better than it was before.

And I differ with you on the perception of free will. If you know what I did in the future, that has no affect on my free will, because free will isn't about doing random or unpredictable things (we don't embue dice, or electrons with free will) but that I had paths I could have gone down and I chose one. In fact if you couldn't predict what I would do, it suggests the decision is actually irrelevant to who I am, because either decision would have been fine for me. I chose to cook ratatouille today and knowing that's what I chose doesn't affect that at that time I made a choice.

So equally, although God knows how everything happens and everything that he will do, it doesn't affect the fact things turned out how he chose them too. It's the good aspect which may impact on God's will. I believe God defined good so he has choice over his actions, because good is how he has chosen it. However I've got a friend who believes that good is something that always is and always was, so for him God has only one course of action he can take, because God is good.

ReiverCorrupter said:
BrotherRool said:
The big thing is being united with God though, which is unimaginable and rather fantastic.
So are you separate from God now? Do you exist outside of God?

...True, Gnosticism is quite mistakenly focused on duality. If you're open to hearing it, I would bid you to reflect upon the nature of the self in relation to God. What is the greater act of arrogance: to identify yourself with God, or to think that you are independent of God?
Yep partially. It sounds weird, but Christians don't believe God _is_ the universe, but that the universe is the creation of God. So when I punch someone, that's not God punching God, that's me punching someone. If I was fully part of God, my mind would be blown and it would be impossible for me to do wrong, how could God disobey God? And that's the seperation that our choice caused and his plan is how to heal that seperation.

I think in general since God has chosen to speak to us and has told us roughly that we're seperate(ish) then that's probably the path of least arrogance :D

ReiverCorrupter said:
It sounds to me as though you've become a cultural Christian. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can good to belong to something, to identify yourself with a side. Everything you've said describes a search for personal worth. Human beings are social animals, being part of a group and identifying yourself with other people can give you a great sense of personal worth and identity. But you should recognize that this is not the same as a spiritual revelation.

The question you have to ask yourself is what you really want: personal worth and a purposeful life, or spiritual transformation and divine truth? No, the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. That depends upon what kind of person you are. Christianity is a social religion that revolves around morality, so it is more naturally suited to social people. Hard ascetic practice is necessarily an individualistic enterprise, and isn't suitable for certain people.
I think this is us looking at the limit from different sides. Because I find what I want to do slowly improves in the direction of God and I take my conversion as part of that process. And I mean you said that the two aren't mutually exclusive and that's how I feel... well I don't know. I have all the personal worth I ever need. My life is essentially sorted, I could die tomorrow with no regrets and I know that whatever happens, God values me to the cost of his own death. If I do good things that he wants, I'm not increasing my worth, because God already values me more than that. I'm doing them because, well they're the right thing to do and I _want_ to do the right thing. I do horrible things everyday and that doesn't affect how God looks at me, because he's chosen to look at me as if I were Jesus. I try to stop doing the horrible things, not because it improves me as a person but I don't want to do things God finds horrible, regardless if it changes my status or not.

I just read the bible and felt that that was right, divine right and truth and the only option is to follow that. You can't recognise something as good and then not try and do it.

(Btw I'm not really a social person by any person's definition. To the point where I changed a church because it was small and people knew who I was and noticed that I was there. It's not good and I've gone through a particularly bad patch lately, but it is what it is)

ReiverCorrupter said:
There are more than a few apocryphal texts that suggest that everyone is saved in the end. You noted the general timeline of the new testament books in your other post, but what you have failed to consider is that there were TONS of christian gospels and texts and only a few were selected to be part of the cannon by the Church, which happened much later on. All of the Church meetings to establish dogma were unabashedly political and usually involved compromises. You have to realize that texts that were too forgiving for non-Christians would inevitably undermine the power of the Church. Even if we grant that many of the texts were divinely inspired, it still seems fairly obvious that the selection of which texts were the 'official' word of God was a decidedly human and imperfect affair. The problem with divine inspiration is that it involves human interpretation.
This is a bit iffy, because in all honesty, there isn't an apocryphal text (apart from the Apocryhpa :D) that has any evidence that it was written before (i think it's 200AD?) and none of them have evidence that support that they were written by an apostle or someone who was a peer of the apostles. Most of them falsely claim to be written by people it's impossible to have been written by, and most of them feature very bizarre or contradictory stories that are never referenced by any of the other books.

Finally, although there were councils to formalise them, the current selection of books was already the selection used by most churches at that time. There is evidence of the Paul letters being currently used, being collected and used as early as the first century, then by 200AD Origen, the Antilegomena and the Muratorian fragment were all using the New Testament as it's known today, 200 years before the first council to formalise the NT.

Contrary to popular the belief, the only controversy found amongst the early centuries collections is do we have too many. James, Jude, Hebrews, 2 Peter, 3 John and Revelations were all being queried as possible not having enough evidence to support the time and authority of their writings. Many churches in the 300's (still 100 years before the meeting) only used 22 of the 27 books we use and no extras. In comparison the apocalyptic gospels have evidence to suggest they were written 250ish AD at the earliest, 50-100 years after canon had been established.

Finally there were a set of books that weren't considered heretical or false, but they were just written by people who were a century or so removed from events, so are roughly the equivalent of any book you can find in a christian book store today. Very useful, possibly informative, invaluable in understanding the context of the times but in the end, just some book written by just some christian.

In the end it wouldn't make sense for everyone to be saved yet, it would make nonsense of what God did, what I'm hoping for is possibly one more revelation, after the end. But if it doesn't happen and it doesn't happen and I'll trust that God is right.

ReiverCorrupter said:
BrotherRool said:
In the end God gives everyone a choice and you can even believe in God without ever hearing about him
Interesting. And what would this belief look like? Perhaps it would take on the cultural features of the person it belonged to. Are you sure it would look like Christianity?

What if God told you that Hinduism was just the way he revealed himself to Indians?
It's Romans 2:14 'Indeed when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves,even thought they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness and their thoughts also accusing and also defending them).

So it's implied it would look very similar, the stress is that it's people without any knowledge of christianity, there's implication here and later on that these people if they heard about God would recognise it for what they believe and finally that it's very rare and difficult. Also remember this is in the context of a passage talking about how the law is not enough to save a person.

If God said otherwise, then I'd follow that, but the truth is he makes it clear that this isn't what he's done at many many points, as well as instructing the importance of making sure that every person has as much opportunity to hear his word as possible.

ReiverCorrupter said:
When God presents himself to people, does he say that he is the Christian God? Does he speak in Aramaic, or Greek, or Latin, or English?
Are you talking about the miraculous conversions? I don;t know much about them, but apparently when he actually speaks most people recognise it as English. That fits with Acts where Peter gives the worlds first christian sermon (whilst being accused of being drunk) and every person thinks he's speaking in their mother tongue.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Treblaine said:
he has no right to forgive people for such a heinous crime they have committed against OTHER people! Arrest is not enough, justice demands they must be PUNISHED! Prevention is not enough. The Catholic church followed this logic of prevention over punishment when they caught their priests raping children. These re the perverse ideals of Christianity.
And yet you challenge God when he suggests people need to be punished for corrupting the whole world? The world is not a nice place, neither you nor me are nice people.

So forgiveness is God's he can forgive us because he's better than us, and because he knows that forgiveness has a price and he has made that price all his to pay. There is nothing greater a person can do than forgive somebody, nothing more than that they should do, because when God will forgive us for everything, how can we not make forgive each other for the things we do?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Treblaine said:
he has no right to forgive people for such a heinous crime they have committed against OTHER people! Arrest is not enough, justice demands they must be PUNISHED! Prevention is not enough. The Catholic church followed this logic of prevention over punishment when they caught their priests raping children. These re the perverse ideals of Christianity.
And challenge God when he suggests people need to be punished for corrupting the whole world? The world is not a nice place, neither you nor me are nice people.

So forgiveness is God's he can forgive us because he's better than us, and because he knows that forgiveness has a price and he has made that price all his to pay. There is nothing greater a person can do than forgive somebody, nothing more than that they should do, because when God will forgive us for everything, how can we not make forgive each other for the things we do?
"Yet you challenge god when he suggests people need to be punished for corrupting the whole world?"

#1 God doesn't exist any more than the Tooth Fairy does. There is not a shred or proof nor even the remotest possibility that either exist. Your "choice" to deny all reason and stubbornly believe won't change that.
#2 God as a concept supposedly punishes even people who have done nothing wrong; Hindus and Homosexuals and so many others that would supposedly go to hell have not "corrupted the whole world".
#3 God's punishment is an infinite and totally out of proportion punishment for a finite transgression. Even rapists don't deserve to burn in hell for all eternity.
#4 even by the rules of the bible, those guilty of heinous crimes can get out of Gods punishment by saying a few magic words... without even getting forgiveness from their victims! As with the Catholic priests who raped and abused all those children. Don't say "well they're Catholic", they're playing by the same set of corrupt rules.

"There is nothing greater a person can do than forgive somebody"

There is nothing more insulting that to forgive someone else's crimes regardless of the victim's feelings. For a victim of such terrible trespass to watch their tormentor have all guilt absolved. God has no right to forgive FOR other people. Even if he did exist. Religion definitely doesn't have that right to use this god-concept to forgive.

As to personal forgiveness (victim forgiving their abuser) there MUST be a distinction between forgiveness and denial. If those victims of horrible crimes simply will themselves to be totally fine with what has been done to them, they can call this forgiveness, but it is de-facto denial. Forgiveness is something that has to be worked for by the perpetrator mainly, can only be found with justice, therapy, reconciliation and rehabilitation. The perpetrator must understand what they have done, and truly regret it not because they were caught or that they will be punished... but out of sheer empathy for their victim's suffering. Forgiveness is the greatest and hardest thing that the perpetrator must EARN! And for some crimes, it is almost totally improbable to ever gain. THEY must pay the price.

God cannot just say: "oh, i'll pay this price. Magic, forgiveness done, I'll take this, because I say so"

All that's happening there is Christians are in denial about the personal severity of the transgressions.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Kimarous said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
And then, if you're feeling adventurous, the works of Soren Kierkegaard.
A warning to anyone considering that - you'll have to understand sentences like this:

"Faith is precisely the paradox that the single individual as the single individual is higher than the universal, is justified before it, not as inferior to it but as superior - yet in such a way, please note, that it is the single individual who, after being subordinate as the single individual to the universal, now by means of the universal becomes the single individual who as the single individual is superior, that the single individual as the single individual stands in an absolute relation to the absolute."

- Soren Kierkegaard (Fear and Trembling)
Yeah, I'm not a fan. He's not as bad as Hegel or Husserl or most of the other existentialists. But if someone is interested in Christian philosophy, he's kind of inescapable.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
BrotherRool said:
I think it's more the idea that we're all looking at the same God but in a different way suits some people. I can't do it justice because I feel that different religions are different enough that God would be awfully contradictory,
Where would the contradiction be, in God, or in our varied representations of God?

BrotherRool said:
This is the thing, I'm lucky because God is eternal and so what he places value on has eternal meaning, because he can remember that action for eternity, so it doesn't have finite consequence (and ties in nicely about how in the end, it's all about loving what God loves)
How does an eternal entity place values on things? How does he remember? Memory is the capacity to recall past events, when one exists outside of time one can have no memory.

BrotherRool said:
And God can think the rock is awesome because he chose to make it and he chose to make good things. However it seems that he chose to make some things with the ability to choose. Maybe because a rock is awesome, but as you said, it can never deviate from his will, but if that rock had choice and chose to exist in the right way, that makes so much better than it was before.
Your version of God seems to do a lot of thinking and choosing.

BrotherRool said:
And I differ with you on the perception of free will.
I wasn't talking about free will or determinism. I was talking about how an eternal (aka non-temporal) entity cannot be said to perform temporal actions. Weren't you just complaining about God being too contradictory?

BrotherRool said:
So equally, although God knows how everything happens and everything that he will do,
This implies that God has a future and that he exists in a certain point in time.

BrotherRool said:
it doesn't affect the fact things turned out how he chose them too. It's the good aspect which may impact on God's will. I believe God defined good so he has choice over his actions, because good is how he has chosen it.
When did God define good? Did God make this choice at a particular moment in time?

BrotherRool said:
However I've got a friend who believes that good is something that always is and always was, so for him God has only one course of action he can take, because God is good.
What if God isn't just good? What if God is the Good?

BrotherRool said:
Yep partially. It sounds weird, but Christians don't believe God _is_ the universe, but that the universe is the creation of God. So when I punch someone, that's not God punching God, that's me punching someone. If I was fully part of God, my mind would be blown and it would be impossible for me to do wrong, how could God disobey God? And that's the separation that our choice caused and his plan is how to heal that separation.
I suggest that you read some Augustine and Meister Eckhart.

BrotherRool said:
I think in general since God has chosen to speak to us and has told us roughly that we're seperate(ish) then that's probably the path of least arrogance :D
Well, if faith means that you accept religious teaching on face value without reflection, then there isn't much I can say. On that interpretation it would seem that God doesn't want people to think about his teachings that much, but just accept them blindly. That seems strange to me. Most other religions have an idea that by deeply reflecting upon their texts one can be rewarded with an even deeper understanding of divine truth than what is immediately apparent in the text itself.

Literalism about the Bible seems to contradict the idea that God is mysterious and capable of working in metaphor. You'd think that God would want people to think about what he says. But you can't really reflect deeply upon something without questioning it.

BrotherRool said:
I have all the personal worth I ever need. My life is essentially sorted, I could die tomorrow with no regrets and I know that whatever happens, God values me to the cost of his own death.
Good! The question is whether that is all really you want.

BrotherRool said:
I just read the bible and felt that that was right, divine right and truth and the only option is to follow that. You can't recognise something as good and then not try and do it.
We've gotten to the heart of the matter now. If you don't feel like you need to question the bible, and believing that it is the truth brings you happiness, then you're good. Socrates said that "the unexamined life isn't worth living," but what he failed to realize is that not everyone is constituted in the same way. For most people, unanswered questions and existential doubt are just too uncomfortable to sustain for very long, so they inevitably fall into a belief system that suits them. Like I said before, I'm not going to try to undermine your faith.

As regards the historical development of the new testament, I was merely trying to point out that orthodox Christianity was a later historical development and did not come from the mouth of Jesus himself. The fact that most of the major texts were disconnected from the life of Jesus by about a hundred years, give or take (as I recall, Paul's letters are the earliest pieces), leaves (at least for me) room for doubt. Before they were written down these stories were in all likelihood passed on by word of mouth. As such they were probably heavily influenced by the communities that they passed through. And different communities probably came up with their own versions of the stories. In comparison both Mohammed and the Buddha's teachings were recorded immediately.

But none of this really means anything if you have faith, because you can believe that God influenced the Church leaders and the selection of the texts as well as the authors. So it's kind of a moot point.

BrotherRool said:
it's people without any knowledge of Christianity, there's implication here and later on that these people if they heard about God would recognise it for what they believe and finally that it's very rare and difficult. Also remember this is in the context of a passage talking about how the law is not enough to save a person.
Well, historically that just hasn't really happened. Christianity hasn't had much success in the Middle East or Asia. Ultimately Christianity doesn't offer much of an argument to convert people except for the promise of eternal life. Philosophically speaking, it's pretty circular. Christianity is the word of God because the bible is the word of God. How do we know that the Bible is the word of God? Because it says so, I guess. In cultures that already have a strong religious tradition with an afterlife, Christianity isn't very successful. It's hard to imagine that this was merely an oversight on the part of God, largely because God is incapable of oversights.

BrotherRool said:
If God said otherwise, then I'd follow that, but the truth is he makes it clear that this isn't what he's done at many many points, as well as instructing the importance of making sure that every person has as much opportunity to hear his word as possible.
If you have faith, then this won't affect you and neither will anything else because faith apparently makes you unreceptive to anything that might challenge it. That's fine so long as you realize that your faith doesn't constitute an argument, which you do seem to realize.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This was already too silly to take seriously, but YOU'RE A LITTLE LATE! Final Fantasy X pulled the evil religion shtick years ago! And yes, it was totally evil, the entire thing from start to finish including their savior!

Also, before that? Xenogears! A game whose religion was the evil machination of the bad guys so many times over that it's crazy...AND that was all the 10 millenium Xanatos Gambit of your robot god and mine, Deus Ex Machina!

The religious angle has been done and gone WITHOUT INCIDENT!

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
As a video game maker for a game that contains violence, you need to figure out a reason for conflict. Well... what do you need to get enough people behind you to start a war?

Well, the first answer I can think of doesn't really involve religion... a genuine shortage of resources (as in Radiant Historia's dying planet) can get people fighting strictly because there's no way to feed everyone who's alive without getting rid of some of them. Unfortunately, if this is the reason for conflict, and there's really no way around it? Well, it becomes really difficult to label one side as bad and, therefore, decide what side the protagonist should fight against.

Secondly, you have national defense. If the other country is going to kill you any day now if you don't stop them, it's pretty easy to raise an army... but that doesn't really explain things, because national defense doesn't initiate conflict. Therefore, at least one side in any conflict has to have some other reason.

Thirdly, you have crazy leaders that control the populace into causing trouble. Now, if these leaders aren't already using religion as a method of control (which happens in the real world) then they tend to have a god complex of their own (which, again, happens in the real world). In short, this usually ends up as some kind of degenerate religion from a certain point of view... what would you call Nazi Germany's idea of a Master Race, if not a sort of religious belief? And what, at the end of the day, causes us to feel revulsion towards the practice of gassing inferior people (the disabled, those of different ethnicities than the best, etc)? Isn't it all, deep down, fundamantally religious (or moral, if you prefer), something so deeply believed that you can't really argue about it one way or the other?

Fourthly, there's irreconcilable cultural differences. Since such differences are always wrapped up in the larger cultures involved, which (more often than not) include a religion.

In short, religion (or, in these days where many are abandoning organized religion, concepts of morality which is really just the same thing without the organization) IS the reason for pretty much everything we do, including the conflict that almost has to be in every video game. People don't, can't fight over facts... they fight over the lenses through which those facts are viewed. Whether you call that a religion or not, it's always gonna be pretty close.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
ResonanceGames said:
RatRace123 said:
Although I think religion gets tied up with violence, not because it's compelling but because it's a really easy way to explain why a character does what they do, which could be a sign of lazy story writing if handled poorly.
Bingo. Whackjob religions or political movements are usually just a lazy way to give a large group of characters motivation to do ridiculously evil things. It makes sense that it gets abused, since pretty much every single player action game needs to explain why there are thousands of people trying to kill the player character.
I like how you just simultaneously explained video games and thousands of years of human history.

I'm only saddened that you didn't end your comments with a winky face to make it concrete that you meant to do so.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Perreault looked at Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy 13, Assassin's Creed, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Please contact Webster's and let them know that many (within the realm of thousands of modern video games) shall now have a value of 5.

All joking aside, I agree but only to the extent that it mimics the way that real religion is tied to violence in many instances. I think its deeper than linking religion to violence and saying voila. It has more to do with people who choose to use and interpret their beliefs as a justified motive for violence.

JackyG

Jun 26, 2011
Fair point, but let's face it; it's just another narrative device used for an action oriented medium. Books and films can explore the good side of religion and their teachings but you dont really want that in dead space.

Looking over this thread right now it saddens me that the circles I am involved in online are so militantly athiest. All I can see here are people patronising one another who have no right to. It's painful to watch how quick you all are to jump on someone who gives the slightest whiff of a religious belief.

I'm a proud fence sitter. I've had enough contact with religion in my time to see what good it can do and the community and morals it can create. But I dont want to be a part of a religion because I believe that I dictate my life, not a book. And that's where it ends. Im not insecure enough to have to push my beliefs as fact.

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
I noticed the Dead Space picture (because, really, who missed it?).

That game right there shows a religion made to make even the most extreme religions look normal.

runnerbelow

Feb 11, 2009
Country
Canada
Hurrah for the ol' Theism vs Atheism debate making a thread on a pointless study become one of the most viewed articles.

To everyone debating: Please, just stop, it won't go anywhere despite how hard anyone will try, its like watching two children argue over who ate the last cookie. "You did!" "No I didn't!" "Yes you did!" "No I didn't!"

The religious side puts forth their argument, they get asked for proof, can't provide any that pleases the other side, rinse and repeat. These Arguments never end well, why bother trying?

This is the Escapist. This debate has happened over 9000 times now. Nothing will change from this one.

This message brought to you by someone who is actually Religious but not really open about it. The way I see it is, if someone wants to get to "know" God, they will take the initiative. It will not fall to me to make decisions for other people.