Stupid questions about yourself people always ask you.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
I get asked a lot of questions about my job, no one seems to know what an archivist actually does. XD

It's not that stupid, to be fair, it's not the most popular of professions. I'm so tired of trying to explain it though, I think I might just start lying about what I do.
Archivist sounds like a job in FFV or Bravely Default! What are your special attacks?

Kaleion said:
Have you killed someone? or Do you like Killing people?

Geeze people, I get it I have a scar on my eye and I generally look like badass but really?
I normally get really pissed off when they ask this and answer with, "Only if they ask too many questions" while doing my best Clint Eastwood impersonation, they normally stop after that, but it's ridiculous that people keep asking me this.
I have a scar just above my eye too... Although I have had it for only a month. I too have started getting questions. They presume that because I am in the military that it was something cool... when in fact I was just bitten by a dog when drunk! :S

How did you get yours? Have you killed someone? Did you like it?

OT:
Something that I get EVERY. SINGLE. DAMN. TIME. I am offered a tea, is a look of confusion and a clarification.

• Them: 'Brew?'
    Me: 'Ooh, yes please. Black none.' (Whoopee Goldberg)
    Them: 'What, Tea?'
    Me: 'Errr.... Yeah?'
    Them: 'Black Tea?'
    Me: 'Yes.'
    Them: 'Oh. Well that's odd...' Walks off

Seriously... it's not that odd! I just like it that way... actually taste the tea then!

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
OT:
Something that I get EVERY. SINGLE. DAMN. TIME. I am offered a tea, is a look of confusion and a clarification.

Seriously... it's not that odd! I just like it that way... actually taste the tea then!
yeah me too....
Jeez people TeaBag + Water, yes thats all, no, no bovine lactate thanks.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
"You must be good at languages, you're so good at English!" or "How did you learn English so well?"

Apparently "My mother was Irish so we spoke only English at home" isn't an answer =/

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
Ben Lyons said:
OT:

yeah me too....
Jeez people TeaBag + Water, yes thats all, no, no bovine lactate thanks.
Exactly... They should be rejoicing... it's so bloody easy to make! WHY DO THEY LOOK SO CONFUSED BY THIS?

I have on a couple of occasions been brought tea with like the smallest dash of milk in, as that is apparently black tea. Fairness to one of these though, they were 14 years old, and had just learnt to make tea, and I didn't specify 'no milk'. The other was a grown adult though. No excuse.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Padwolf said:
I also get the "Are you alright?" and "Why are you so angry?" I'm not angry. I'm fine. I just have resting ***** face.
Oh yeah, I get this one a lot. I have a very slack resting face to where it's easy to assume that I'm sad/angry/depressed when I'm none of the above, I'm just neutral.

Astoria said:
People always ask me "Why are you so quiet?". Because I have nothing to talk about obviously. I don't enjoy mindless small talk and I'm quite happy sitting in silence so if I have nothing in particular to talk about then I won't. A lot of people take it that I don't wanna talk to them personally and think I'm rude. I'm really not I'm just not chatty. I also live with a brother who is incapable of shutting up so I get my daily dose of conversation in about 10 minutes.
This is HUGE for me. Like the face issue, people assume that I'm quiet because I'm upset. Um, no. I just don't like small-talk. If you want to engage me with something is is actually interesting and engaging on some level, great. I love substantial conversations--they may be my favorite thing in the world--but I'm not going to talk just for the sake of filling silences.

My ex-girlfriend was nightmarish about this stuff. Even if I told her a million times, "Everything's fine, I'm just not in a talkative mood," it didn't matter. To her, "silence = there's a problem" was an absolute rule.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Dark Prophet said:
Why don't I have facebook, or any of the social media stuff for that matter, and they are amazed if I say I don't need any of it and then a week later will ask me again and will be amazed all over again.
I've had people ask me that. People back in college were a little shocked at the fact that I use email, text messaging, and phone calls as an alternate means of communication over facebook chat :|

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
JagermanXcell said:
*then they remark how I'm not worthy of being Hispanic because i'm None of the Above*
Is this coming from others in the Hispanic community? I ask because that seems like a strange thing for someone of another ethnicity to declare about you. It seems, if not smart, at least more understandable to hear from another Hispanic. I mean if it's some Anglo-Saxon declaring "well you're not really Hispanic then" I'd be like "...the fuck you know about it pal?! You're not Hispanic either!"
From both sides actually. And if it wasn't obvious it has more to do with how frequent those questions and it's eventual remark comes up in such snarky fashion. I'm not saying it isn't funny, i've had many of times where Hispanic/non-Hsipanics who bring it up either A. ignore it out of respect for me simply being different and moving on or B. make a creative joke around the "not worthy" remark. But there comes a point where the questions and joke stop being funny after the 1,892,427th time you've heard it if you get what I'm saying.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
My only enemy:

"How are you?"

Every.Single.Day.From.50+.Different.People.

I know they must say something, but pleeeeeeeease say something else which I can open a discussion!
But no, you know the drill:

50+ People: How are you?
Me: Fine, you?
50+ People: Fine also. Thank you for asking

And then work.

SAY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!!

You know, I tried many time actually to start a discussion, but most of them NEVER pay attention because in reality they don't care....

Me trying to say something different:

50+ People: How are you?
Me: I must say today was bad sadly. I tried to write something for a personal project I have an I failed miserable....
50+ People: *Looking at me like a zombie, but with a giant fake smile*
50+ People: Ok.........anyway

And then work......

Gladly I have some customers I can talk like a human being with them. We are not robots people.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
"So... are you gay or do you like girls?", from LGBTQ people... I got a fairly curvy body and C-cups for breast size. How did they... How is it not obvious that as a woman liking girls would be quite gay to say the least. At least I got an neutral defusing answer: "I'm bi". Annoying none the less.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Kaleion said:

Geeze people, I get it I have a scar on my eye and I generally look like badass but really?
I normally get really pissed off when they ask this and answer with, "Only if they ask too many questions" while doing my best Clint Eastwood impersonation, they normally stop after that, but it's ridiculous that people keep asking me this.
I have a scar just above my eye too... Although I have had it for only a month. I too have started getting questions. They presume that because I am in the military that it was something cool... when in fact I was just bitten by a dog when drunk! :S

How did you get yours?
That's the best part I got the scar by falling off my bed flat on my face, well I just fell on my eye directly on my eyebrow which left the scar, I'm pretty sure most people that have scars on their face have pretty lame stories for them, I knew a guy that had one for trying to kiss a chihuahua dog thing and it bit him instead.

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
Kaleion said:
Kaleion said:

How did you get yours?
That's the best part I got the scar by falling off my bed flat on my face, well I just fell on my eye directly on my eyebrow which left the scar, I'm pretty sure most people that have scars on their face have pretty lame stories for them, I knew a guy that had one for trying to kiss a chihuahua dog thing and it bit him instead.
Haha! That isn't far off mine... although at least mine was a black lab-cross, so it was a bit bigger. I did try and hug it though, and it launched at me before I managed to get close!

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Vault101 said:
disclaimer: I don't like to chide people for "stupid" questions, I think most questions are valid but anyway

[I/]"whats it like being a twin?[/I]

its uh....its not really like anything, I mean hell we aren't even identical
Patrick Buck said:
I'm a twin. I often say "Oh, I have a twin sister" when people ask me about siblings.
More than a few times, they've then asked me if we're identical.
I'm a guy, btw. Wow.
heh...sometimes I get "who's older" and/or "who was born first"....I never got why this is important

DementedSheep said:
Well standard response are: No I don't have boyfriend because I don't particularly want one and don't know anyone I want to date. I'm just not that into relationships. No I don't want kids. No I'm not a lesbian. Yes I'm sure I'm not a lesbian, I've already told you why I don't have a boyfriend. Also "boyish" hobbies =/= lesbian. It use to be "no I'm not a lesbian and that girl is my cousin and a friend. I walk home with her because she lives one street over." Is it not normal to walk home with people you are friends with? It not like either of us where touchy feely, we didn't hug or hold hands.I don't know why people are so interested in other peoples relationships.
I'm actually kind of surprised no ones asked me if I'm a lesbian....probably because I don't look "the part" and if my sisters/mum suspects anything (which for some reason I doubt) then they keep it to themselves...its weird though because if I were them I'd suspect it

EDIT: or maybe they just put it down to me being a recluse
Well I think it started for me because I had a few girls in my classes who would talk to me and were nice, or tying to be but we didn't have anything in common. They thought I was depressed and I think they wanted to help. I wasn't depressed at the time, I'm just not a social butterfly, don't show enthusiasm very easily so I can be over the moon and look neutral or depressed and I wasn't talkative around them because they would always be talking about boys and actors and I didn't give a shit. I would much rather have been doing my own thing by myself but telling them that is kinda rude. So they put two and two together and decided I was depressed and not into boys because I was lesbian and hiding it. Cue not so subtle conversation about how lesbians are totally ok with them (which is great and I agree its not a problem but...I'm not lesbian, They didn't need to assure me its fine.). Then other people with less tact caught on to this and it got swept up in the rumour mill. It didn't help that I wore jeans and T-shit and I'm to lazy and don't care enough to use makeup while my cousin who I spent spent a lot time with is into fashion (Gothic Victorian type stuff) and was also not into relationships or dating so I guess we might have vaguely match butch/femme stereotype to anyone who didn't know us despite my long hair. I haven't gotten it that often outside of high school though I still get it occasionally. There are a lot of people I interact with a lot for 2 or 3 days while we are working together and then don't see them again so you get general small talk which is often about family and hobbies (because it's an easy safe topic I guess) and sometime people don't get why I don't have a boyfriend despite that fact that a lot of people in university really aren't interested in dating. It's actually very common. *shrug*

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
"Are you a vampire?": Drives me nuts that I have to even answer that question seeing as how its usually during the day outside that I get this. Not sure how people can make it to adulthood without having figured out the difference between an imaginary fictitious creature and a person they see on the street.

"Are you a gothic?": Better, but I still don't understand why they can't seem to figure out the proper way to say this. They could say "Are you gothic?" or "Are you a Goth?", but for some reason it's always "Are you A gothic?". Native English speakers shouldn't be having so much difficulty with this.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So as some people on this forum may know, I'm currently serving in the US Navy. What a lot of people probably don't know, is that in a little over six months I will be leaving the Navy. Occasionally the people to learn this fact happen to be my coworkers, even though I haven't exactly kept my intentions to leave a secret.

And the next thing I almost always get(after I tell them I'm not retiring) is: Why? Why would I want to leave the military?

In some cases, the question is an innocent one and asked in good faith. In these cases, I try to stay positive and tell them that I've gotten all I feel I can from the military and am ready to move on.

Other times, there's the implied "Why would you want to leave the Navy? Don't you love the Navy? I love the Navy! What's wrong with you?" Like it was the 1950's and I'd just admitted to having read the Communist Manifesto at some point.

These particular conversations are often followed with: "Are you going to go to the Reserves? Are you going to go Officer?"

The answer to both is no, because I'm trying to leave the Navy on semi-good terms with it. And considering right now I'm really looking forward to being out of the military, it's probably a bad idea for me to stay in.

The most dickish ones are where they decide it's a travesty if I want to leave and start trying to convince me I should stay in(until the Navy decides to kick me out). Which pretty much just rubs the wrong way and makes me avoid them if at all possible.

Though it's still weird to meet people who somehow can't imagine that anyone would willingly leave the military before retiring. You either die, get kicked out or retire. Nobody just decides to leave when their contract is up, apparently.

If I'm really annoyed I'll start airing my very long laundry list of things I dislike/hate about the Navy/Military to them. One would think the fact I don't like many parts of it would mean they'd encourage me getting out, but apparently the possibility of getting me to re-enlist is more important to them then the possibility I could find I job I enjoy(and not have to spend at least half a year in the middle east every year).

Sep 24, 2008
"Are you going to hurt me"/"Are you angry"/"When I first met you, I thought you hated my guts"

For those of you who saw my picture in the picture thread, you might have a little difficulty lining up how I come off in the forums as how I look. Apparently, so does everyone else.

Supposedly, I always look angry, violent, and down to fight. While they look at my face and only see their horrible murder, in my head I might be humming the opening to Lucky Star. Because it makes me happy.

captcha: Uncle Leo?

Seriously Captcha, what the fuck? you have so many issues...

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
When people find out that I am a graduate student studying military history I get almost the exact same response:

"Oh, that's....that's interesting. I guess."

*Then they kind of pause for a bit awkwardly and finally ask*

"What are you going to do with that?"

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
A_Parked_Car said:
When people find out that I am a graduate student studying military history I get almost the exact same response:

"Oh, that's....that's interesting. I guess."

*Then they kind of pause for a bit awkwardly and finally ask*

"What are you going to do with that?"
Do you answer "Conquer Argentina"? Please tell me it's something along those lines.

Captcha: Blood Type.

I see somebody gets it.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I say something like "Excuse me for a moment, my wife is blowing up my phone I should take this."
and they reply
"Wait, you're married?!"

Theres a ring on my finger how surprisingly could it possibly be?

TheEmoGhost

Jul 31, 2012
"Are you a twin?" or "Are you two twins?". As I am an identical twin
"What colour is this?" as I am colourblind.
Never cease to irritate me.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
"So what do you wanna do with your English and Creative Writing degree?"
"Write novels and maybe screenplays, if I can."
"Oh. What kind?"

...Um, good ones, with interesting stories and developed and likable characters? As if I'd set out to do anything else? What do you mean, "what kind?" I assume you're referring to genre? But why would I limit myself to a single genre when I might come up with story ideas for any number of genres, or no genre in particular?