Subbing or Dubbing? (Anime Related)

Dinosaur_Face

Sep 22, 2011
i prefer subs, dubbed anime or other shows just sounds weird and annoys me to the point that i cant watch it

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I like hearing things in foreign languages. Especially a language as pretty as Japanese. Which is perhaps my most favourite foreign language.

Heck, I would prefer My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic dubbed if it weren't for the fact that the English version is vastly superior to most dubs. Dubbers seem to be particularly bad at getting Pinkie Pie's voice down.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
huh, I actually liked the Gurren Lagann dub, too.

I prefer dubs. I rarely ever hear a dub I don't like, let alone hate. Yeah, I enjoy subbed, too, but when there's a dub available I usually stick with that, unless it's one I don't like. Plus I try not to compare it with the Japanese dub and judge it on its own, or compare it to traditional Western cartoon voice work, because comparing two completely different languages, one of which I only know a handful of phrases, is stupid. Plus it's easier to watch.

estoria-etnia

Aug 22, 2009
I'll watch either ? sometimes I like a dub more than I like the sub (Hellsing, for instance). But in a few cases I'll definitely watch sub because sometimes dubs get censored. This is totally why I am watching the subbed version of 5D's.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Personally I prefer subs, but will occasionally watch a dub if it's good enough (I didn't find anything that bad about Gurren Lagann's dub either).

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
Both. I enjoy the Dubs of Gundam Wing, Seed, Destiny, 00, Original, Ghost in the Shell movies and series and a whole lot more.

On the other hand, I enjoy Clannad in subbed and can't stand to hear the dubbed version. I really hate the dubbed version on it. Then on something like Air, I can still enjoy the dub and the subbed versions.

It really depends on the show and I usually find that whatever I watch it in first is what I like more and I usually end up really disliking the other version.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
Depends on the anime e.g. Hellsing is set in england so i prefer the english voice acting also they keep calling alucard "arucard" which is just plain annoying.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I can do both, I tend to stick with the one that has voice actors I can stand. Take Eureka Seven for example, I started with the sub but switched over to the dub because I liked the voice actor for Renton a bit more, the dub sounded like Simon from Gurren Laggan while the sub sounded like Naruto.

Shivhappy

Sep 6, 2011
Subbed over dubbed, i can read just fine.
It gets really annoying to hear the same 5 eng voice actors for every series.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Dubbed is just way better for me because it's so much easier to tell whose voice it is when they're speaking in the same language you speak, it gives me much better distinction between characters.

And then there's the humour...
Jonluw said:
Subs also have the benefit of being a medium in which the translators can explain otherwise untranslatable jokes, and write lines that don't have to fit the character animations, which in dubs renders the dialogue forced and uncanny.
"Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure scientific mind."
? E. B. White

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DontExplainTheJoke?from=Main.ptitle0t9r68ih

Most of the humour I got from watching YuGiOh GX (don't judge me) was purely from the dub. There's a bit where one character does a really sincere love poem and it is just shit and out of character, but in the dub they made the poem ridiculously cheesy and it was soooooo much better.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Daveman said:
Jonluw said:
Subs also have the benefit of being a medium in which the translators can explain otherwise untranslatable jokes, and write lines that don't have to fit the character animations, which in dubs renders the dialogue forced and uncanny.
"Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure scientific mind."
- E. B. White
Luckily, by killing that one frog, you now have a better understanding of frogs in general, and the next time one comes around you might not have to dissect it.

That said: the possibility for explaining jokes is just a very small pro in favour of subs.
Additionally, subbers may replace the untranslatable joke with a similar English joke and make a footnote regarding the nature of the original joke. Thus not losing much humour-value and still being as true to the original as you can be.

And to quote the article you linked:
"Do not confuse [explaining the joke] for giving the context. This is actually explaining the punchline, not the setup. That also means don't pothole this for the necessary information."

Alexias_Sandar

Nov 8, 2010
I prefer subs 95% of the time. Generally the voice actors play better off of each other...a side effect of actually having them often in the same room while recording. Similarly, most dubs take out alot of the subtext and subtleties of a series. I know enough Japanese that I can often notice things that are missing and understand them, which is useful as well.

Spiritofpower

Aug 29, 2011
The_Blue_Rider said:
I then added that its harder to pick up emotion in the sub, due to me not understanding the language.

The emotions seem pretty unmistakable and universal to me.

OT: I, personally, prefer subs, as i usually like the Japanese VAs better, and i don't have any problems reading the subs.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
I hate Japanese female voices.
They make my ears bleed.

Most English dubs of the past 10 years are generally good anyway.

I've liked both though.

Kurokasumi

Aug 11, 2009
Subbing, because typically what they say in the dubs are incorrect or inaccurate to what was really said in Japanese because they needed to fit the lip synching so they switched words around and lost the context. You honestly can understand the story, or what a characters feelings are a lot better with the original Japanese dialogue.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Spiritofpower said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
I then added that its harder to pick up emotion in the sub, due to me not understanding the language.

The emotions seem pretty unmistakable and universal to me.

OT: I, personally, prefer subs, as i usually like the Japanese VAs better, and i don't have any problems reading the subs.
My point is that its HARDER to pick up, not impossible. I just find that the emotions the show is trying to convey work much better in a language I understand

stormcrow5

Jul 9, 2008
Im a fast reader so subs are awesome and way better for me. Dubbs i dislike because the voice actors never seem to match the person and the no lipsync just gets on my nervs for some reason.
If its been remade and actualy made for the english then maybe dub would be ok.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Jonluw said:
Daveman said:
Jonluw said:
- E. B. White
Luckily, by killing that one frog, you now have a better understanding of frogs in general, and the next time one comes around you might not have to dissect it.

That said: the possibility for explaining jokes is just a very small pro in favour of subs.
Additionally, subbers may replace the untranslatable joke with a similar English joke and make a footnote regarding the nature of the original joke. Thus not losing much humour-value and still being as true to the original as you can be.

And to quote the article you linked:
"Do not confuse [explaining the joke] for giving the context. This is actually explaining the punchline, not the setup. That also means don't pothole this for the necessary information."
Well I disagree with the article, every element of a joke is crucial from the punchline right down to the timing and explaining any element ruins it. Yes you're right about generally learning stuff from explaining the joke, hence the "pure scientific mind" aspect of the quote, the point is that any entertainment value is completely lost. If a comedian explained a joke onstage I may very well understand another joke later but the joke itself still wouldn't be funny. Besides, you can't force yourself to have a particular sense of humour. If I hear a similar joke I probably still wont find it funny despite understanding the meaning, i.e. I'll see another frog and just remember the dissection (why it's supposed to be funny).

The main point being I don't watch anime for a lesson on Japanese culture, I just watch it to be entertained. If I learn something too then that's cool but it is by no means a priority. That's why I prefer dubbed as it does the work for me.

Also the frog metaphor is getting less and less useful, my last reference was pretty tenuous.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
As far as I'm concerned the dubs screw with the pacing of some lines and the English pronounciations of Japanese names/terms if just dreadful.

Yeah yeah, I'm using Bleach as an example. I like it, sue me. Now don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic VAs out there such as Johnny Yong Bosch, Liam O'Brian, Steve Blum and Crispin Freeman but even as good as these guys are, something about the way the Japanese names are pronounced just ruins it for me. That's not to say I hate all dubbed versions

So subs all the way for me with the exceptions of Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star and Samurai Champloo.

Also, I'm not stupid enough that I can't read a tiny line of text whilst keeping up with what's happening on screen. I mean seriously? Playing video games for years should have trained us in that regard.