Sued PS3 Hacker GeoHot Responds With Rap

theoverall

Oct 10, 2010
This might be hilariously funny, but he's just being stupid. They will use it against him in court. This kind of behavior makes cases really easy to prove in court.

"Apparently you don't fully understand the seriousness of your situation. Let us demonstrate to the judge with this video".

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Mazty said:
Or how about you don't convolute something which is as simple as a person designing a method to bypass a systems copyright restrictions?
Yes, that is the immediate criminal case at hand.
And I don´t even give a fuck about that specific dude.

But I do care about the broader questions, such as whether or not such acts of hacking actually should constitute a crime. Whether it should be okay to mess with something you own in a way you desire. Not to mention to problematic nature of the restraining oder itself, which demands the retraction of information that has been posted on the internet.
Just because you do not wish to think about the general implications of a case, does not mean there are none.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
The law was made to keep the middle class down and in the mud while allowing the tip top to get away with anything they wish, these laws are no different, he is being prosecuted for editing his system in any other way this would be fine change a car fine change a blender fine change a console would be fine if only there wasn't a chance they would lose millions in game sales.

The law is on the side of the rich and the fools that say this man is the bad guy are just puppets brain washed after years of propaganda

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
theoverall said:
This might be hilariously funny, but he's just being stupid. They will use it against him in court. This kind of behavior makes cases really easy to prove in court.

"Apparently you don't fully understand the seriousness of your situation. Let us demonstrate to the judge with this video".
I was thinking the same thing. He's just digging himself a deeper hole for Sony to bury him in. He should've just bought the damn thing and played games on it.

I wish I could file suit for his horrible rapping.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
LawlessSquirrel said:
jp201 said:
taken down a notch? your kidding right?

I hope this guy gets a major fine and prison time
Oh, no argument that he should pay for his crime, but Sony isn't exactly a symbol of innocence in all this. I'd like to see these big companies be forced to take responsibility for going back on their promises. It might stop them from always thinking they can get away with it. Hell, I think both parties are guilty in their own ways.
If Sony would be taken down a notch or at all by some guy posting a rap video, they would have fallen long ago. You don't become a multi billion dollar company by flinching from people who criticize you.

Though I do agree that Sony is also wrong in this incident, we forgot that companies that make this much money can perform secret murders if they feel that person is a threat.

Just kidding on the last part don't take it seriously.

OH GOD THERE HERE....

help.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
gphjr14 said:
theoverall said:

I was thinking the same thing. He's just digging himself a deeper hole for Sony to bury him in. He should've just bought the damn thing and played games on it.

In my eyes, he pwned em and shows he's taking the whole thing in stride.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
jp201 said:
If Sony would be taken down a notch or at all by some guy posting a rap video, they would have fallen long ago. You don't become a multi billion dollar company by flinching from people who criticize you.

Though I do agree that Sony is also wrong in this incident, we forgot that companies that make this much money can perform secret murders if they feel that person is a threat.

Just kidding on the last part don't take it seriously.

OH GOD THERE HERE....

help.
Of course it won't do much, if anything, but I can always hope because Sony is completely innocent and deserves my full support.

I will now enjoy my place of residence and will no longer attempt to slander the good name of Sony. Do not contact me, I will be on a prolonged holiday to a place where I cannot be reached.

Sincerely, Escapist Forum Member.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Roboto said:
gphjr14 said:
theoverall said:

In my eyes, he pwned em and shows he's taking the whole thing in stride.
He won't be taking it in stride when he's spending the rest of his life giving part of his income to the settlement plus court fees. He won't have time to hack PS3's or make god awful rap videos.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
He also mentions Lik Sang, the import website Sony shutdown with a lawsuit in 2006.
That affair is one of the biggest blights on Sony's reputation in recent history. It was blatant corporate bullying that resulted in the closure of one of the most popular import stores in the world. Even worse, it ended up forcing other import stores to implement a self-emposed embargo on all PS3/PSP related exports, hurting customers in the process. Fortunately, the situation has slowly been improving since last year, but Sony still deserves a lot of hatred for that one.

Anyway, funny video. If Sony wanted to respond in kind, it would probably end up being something like this:

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
That was pretty damn good. I am impressed. Based on the precedent set by his jailbreaking case he should win this one.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ionveau said:
The law was made to keep the middle class down and in the mud while allowing the tip top to get away with anything they wish, these laws are no different, he is being prosecuted for editing his system in any other way this would be fine change a car fine change a blender fine change a console would be fine if only there wasn't a chance they would lose millions in game sales.

The law is on the side of the rich and the fools that say this man is the bad guy are just puppets brain washed after years of propaganda
Ummm, this case has NOTHING to do with keeping the rich, rich. It has everything to do with a guy posting a threat to the security of a softwarethat he doesn't own. Get off you anti-corporation high horse and smell the coffee here. Geohot fucked up by claiming responsibility right off the bat. Making a rap video about doing the crime really doesn't help is "innocence" either as funny as it was. Seriously if you want to propagate your Illuminati fantasy then stop listening to Immortal Technique and actually read up on actual proven conspiracy theories. I hear that MK-ULTRA is a good read.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
This is the first time i've seen the news before it gets posted here because i visit the psx-scene forums

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
Huh, he was actually pretty decent. I'll file this under the subgenre "happer".

I don't really know much about the case though.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
Am I the only person who thinks this is guy is sad for even trying to break Sony's security on a console or am I the sad one ?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
bahumat42 said:
addeB said:
I'm rooting for that guy, Sony shouldn't sue people for breaking through their security. It was bound to happen eventually.
thats like saying shops shouldn't prosecute theives "it was bound to happen eventually".
Or murderers shouldn't be chased by the legal system "it was bound to happen eventually" seriously weak line of argument there. Just because it can and does happen doesn't mean people should lay back and take it, if some1 was threatening your personal income you'd be pissed off too.
I like to think of it more of a case of the apple vs jailbreakers argument.

Sony is trying to sell people a console, then tell them they can't do what they want with it, which is bullshit because as long as its legal, if they've sold it to you, you can crack to security. It's yours, and US courts agree.

And before anyone tells me that piracy is involved, there is no evidence he's a pirate, its purely because he pretty much jailbroke a PS3.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
ionveau said:

Ummm, this case has NOTHING to do with keeping the rich, rich. It has everything to do with a guy posting a threat to the security of a softwarethat he doesn't own. Get off you anti-corporation high horse and smell the coffee here. Geohot fucked up by claiming responsibility right off the bat. Making a rap video about doing the crime really doesn't help is "innocence" either as funny as it was. Seriously if you want to propagate your Illuminati fantasy then stop listening to Immortal Technique and actually read up on actual proven conspiracy theories. I hear that MK-ULTRA is a good read.
I say if he owns the software he should be able to alter it in anyway he wishes allowing companys to keep their grip on your product after its in your hands and payed for is just silly and people that support it are foolish,

Immortal Technique you say? i only know the dance with the devil song after that what?? i dont get it?

MK-ULTRA is about spy testing drugs on people.....ok

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Mazty said:
Asehujiko said:
Mazty said:
He just needs to come to terms with he is the bad guy in this instance and the law sees it that way.
Except that sony is in a big "shoot the messenger" mood and is is violating every single "fair trial" law in existence here.
"You helped promote and further the hacking of the PS3 anti-copyright system"
No, it seems pretty fair to label him the criminal here.
First off, there's way too much going on with the case to just shorten up events into one sentence. And secondly, did you miss the part about the fair trial in that quote? Maybe you didn't notice, but Sony is trying really hard to make sure GeoHot doesn't get one by suing him in California courts.

The way I see it, either both Sony and GeoHot are the bad guys, or Sony is the bad guy and GeoHot is the good guy (it really depends on your views of the Install Other OS fiasco). But I see no way in which Sony is the good guy. They removed an advertised feature and forced people to choose between that feature or online features of the console. They're trying to get a list of names of everyone who simply watched fail overflow's hacking video (just for watching a video!). And again, they're trying to sue GeoHot all the way in California to keep some kind of "home court advantage" despite the fact that GeoHot did all the things they're suing him for somewhere else. Suing people doesn't even help secure the PS3 platform, GeoHot himself had his computers and PS3s taken away because of the restraining order, and yet firmware 3.56 for the PS3 was hacked in mere HOURS without him having access to it. So the lawsuit itself is not "Sony protecting its customers" or anything noble like that.

No matter how I look at this, at the very least Sony is always wearing a pair of horns and holding a red pitchfork.