Sued PS3 Hacker GeoHot Responds With Rap

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
dathwampeer said:
Unless the meaning of that has somehow changed, cracking it and then showing other people how to do the same is in no way illegal.
Yes it is, for the same reason why posting a video on youtube about how you can enter cars without needing the keys and then start the engine without being noticed is a crime. Even assuming that the car you are using in your example actually belongs to you and you thus aren't actually steeling it for that reason, you are still showing people how they can be criminals.

If he had simply hacked the thing and then kept it to himself and used it for non-illegal stuff then it would have been fine, instead he posted instructions about it on the internet.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/household-safety/security/lock-picking.htm

This is illegal. There are videos everywhere showing people how to do it. We must all be breaking the law.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
bahumat42 said:
dogstile said:
bahumat42 said:
addeB said:
I'm rooting for that guy, Sony shouldn't sue people for breaking through their security. It was bound to happen eventually.
thats like saying shops shouldn't prosecute theives "it was bound to happen eventually".
Or murderers shouldn't be chased by the legal system "it was bound to happen eventually" seriously weak line of argument there. Just because it can and does happen doesn't mean people should lay back and take it, if some1 was threatening your personal income you'd be pissed off too.
I like to think of it more of a case of the apple vs jailbreakers argument.

Sony is trying to sell people a console, then tell them they can't do what they want with it, which is bullshit because as long as its legal, if they've sold it to you, you can crack to security. It's yours, and US courts agree.

And before anyone tells me that piracy is involved, there is no evidence he's a pirate, its purely because he pretty much jailbroke a PS3.
Yeah HE might not personally pirate. But by showing THE WHOLE WORLD how to jailbreak it he's allowed for piracy to happen. You have to be pretty damn naive to not believe people won't use it for that. And thats why its wrong, it allows for something which is massively damaging to our industry.
Except the same thing happened with Apple, and Apple lost on the grounds that people can do whatever they want with something they own. And you would have to be naive, but americans have that thing of "innocent until proven guilty" that renders that invalid.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
bahumat42 said:
dogstile said:
bahumat42 said:
Except the same thing happened with Apple, and Apple lost on the grounds that people can do whatever they want with something they own. And you would have to be naive, but americans have that thing of "innocent until proven guilty" that renders that invalid.
I don't care what the courts think, or what happened to apple (especially considering how many holes are in said legal system). By doing this he is creating a bad situation for our medium.
Well, i'm glad you established that you were arguing morals and not legality. That could have saved me a few sentences.

I'll now leave your /opinion/ alone, because what's the point in arguing something that is defined differently for each person?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Tom Phoenix said:
Anyway, funny video. If Sony wanted to respond in kind, it would probably end up being something like this:

That made me laugh. Thanks.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Mazty said:
Well not wanting to sound a dick, but keep the philosophical ramblings for after meal port & cigar sessions.
Really ?
Everything except the immediate question of guilt is philosphical rambling ?
You can´t think of a single way in that this case might have any influence on anything ?
Yeah, I think we can call this one a day.
And as for not wanting to sound like a dick, I think you can assess for yourself how well that one work.
Whatever man.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ionveau said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
ionveau said:
The law was made to keep the middle class down and in the mud while allowing the tip top to get away with anything they wish, these laws are no different, he is being prosecuted for editing his system in any other way this would be fine change a car fine change a blender fine change a console would be fine if only there wasn't a chance they would lose millions in game sales.

The law is on the side of the rich and the fools that say this man is the bad guy are just puppets brain washed after years of propaganda
Ummm, this case has NOTHING to do with keeping the rich, rich. It has everything to do with a guy posting a threat to the security of a softwarethat he doesn't own. Get off you anti-corporation high horse and smell the coffee here. Geohot fucked up by claiming responsibility right off the bat. Making a rap video about doing the crime really doesn't help is "innocence" either as funny as it was. Seriously if you want to propagate your Illuminati fantasy then stop listening to Immortal Technique and actually read up on actual proven conspiracy theories. I hear that MK-ULTRA is a good read.
I say if he owns the software he should be able to alter it in anyway he wishes allowing companys to keep their grip on your product after its in your hands and payed for is just silly and people that support it are foolish,

Immortal Technique you say? i only know the dance with the devil song after that what?? i dont get it?

MK-ULTRA is about spy testing drugs on people.....ok
You obvious know little about the case and the laws involved in it then. He doesn't own the software in question. Sony owns the software. It's stated in the EULA whenever you update your firmware. It also comes in physical form with every console since it's inception. You own the hardware, Sony owns the software. Altering the software for uses that it wasn't made for, (i.e. making homebrew firmwares and allowing for pirated games to be played) is against the law. Geohot sent out the code that allowed anyone who googled it to do so. And honestly if the best thing he has to do with his time make a rap instead of preparing a court case defence, he's already lost.

The Immortal Technique comment was me comparing your little "laws keeping the rich, rich and the middle class, middle class" shpeel to what he talks about in A LOT of his songs.

The MK-ULTRA was me comparing your point to a conspiracy theory. Your original point had nothing to do with this case. This isn't a law the keeps rich people rich and poor people poor. This is a law that prevents people from altering thier gaming consoles to do acts it that aren't legal.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
dogstile said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
dathwampeer said:
Unless the meaning of that has somehow changed, cracking it and then showing other people how to do the same is in no way illegal.
Yes it is, for the same reason why posting a video on youtube about how you can enter cars without needing the keys and then start the engine without being noticed is a crime. Even assuming that the car you are using in your example actually belongs to you and you thus aren't actually steeling it for that reason, you are still showing people how they can be criminals.

If he had simply hacked the thing and then kept it to himself and used it for non-illegal stuff then it would have been fine, instead he posted instructions about it on the internet.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/household-safety/security/lock-picking.htm

This is illegal. There are videos everywhere showing people how to do it. We must all be breaking the law.
The difference is Geohot has personally admitted to helping crack the code. That's aiding and abetting in a criminal act, which is against the law. Picking a door lock is a bad example because you'd assume that you own the house of the door you are picking. You don't own the software that Sony let's you use, so showing people how to access it is an offence.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
dathwampeer said:
I'm seriously at a loss as to how sony won that legal battle.

I'm gonna go ahead an say it.

Everyone involved got a huge stinking bribe.

He owned the system. Unless the meaning of that has somehow changed, cracking it and then showing other people how to do the same is in no way illegal.
He owned the hardware, but he had no right to show people how to crack the software. He doesn't own the software, Sony does. That's how they won the legal battle. No one is bribing anyone here. Geohot fucked up. The EULA states that you do not own the software of the console, you have the right to use it within legal means. Geohot tampering with it and showing people how to do so allows for piracy on the PS3. The bad outweighs the good here and this rapping hacker broke the law.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
There isn't anything in that link that gives you all of the information you need to pick up locks at will.
I actually thought both the locksmith metaphor and that article were well done. Also... they dont let you own screwdrivers in Iceland? or thin pieces of curved metal? The article there explains how to do this, and with these common household tools, and a lock to practice on you could probably learn how.
As for the metaphor, i think its very appropriate, Having the knowledge to commit a crime doesn't make you a criminal, and neither does sharing it. GeoHot isnt being sued for doing anything particularly criminal, he simply showed other people how to, that's why this is a civil suit and not a criminal one.
As for Sony, they are doing everything they can to circumvent the law in a fight that someone has already fought and lost.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Mazty said:
Asehujiko said:
Mazty said:
He just needs to come to terms with he is the bad guy in this instance and the law sees it that way.
Except that sony is in a big "shoot the messenger" mood and is is violating every single "fair trial" law in existence here.
"You helped promote and further the hacking of the PS3 anti-copyright system"
No, it seems pretty fair to label him the criminal here.
Aside from the ridiculousness that voicing disagreement with a corporate policy could be interpreted as a crime there's also the problem that Sony bribed a judge that admitted the entire case was out of his jurisdiction to let them steal all of his electronic devices, including the ones that hold his entire email correspondence with his attorney.