Suggest an underrated movie

norwegian-guy

Jan 17, 2011
caviar1 said:
Try this one, its pretty on the down-low but its well performed and has a crazy twist ending, it's called "Fight Club"
How is that underrated? In Norway it is praised through the roof. (and it deserves all the praise)

OT: The land before time.
It's an animated movie with a theme so sad it makes bambis mom look like a looney toons-episode.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Stardust [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/] -A clever, funny, original, and above all very entertaining movie based off a Neil Gaiman book.

Hogfather [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765458/] -Discworld's version of Santa has gone missing, so Death has to take his place to give his granddaughter enough time to find out what's happened to him. Meanwhile, a group of dimensional auditors have hired an assassin to take out the jolly fat man.

Avalon [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267287/] - A Polish-Japanese co-production directed by Mamoru Oshii (better known for his anime work (Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor)) with Polish actors and dialogue. A movie set in a future where young people play an illegal VR MMOFPS rumoured to have a secret, paradisal area that can only be accessed by the most skilled players, at the cost of becoming vegetables in real life.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Chopper - An Australian "based-on-a-true-story" movie about the "career" of serial murderer, torturer and otherwise top bloke, Mark "Chopper" Read. Stars Eric Bana as Chopper in a performance that was praised by the real Mark Read, who assisted Bana in preparing for the role. Features a scene where Bana gets stabbed a dozen times and never once flinches because that's what happened to the real Mark Read. If you're at all familiar with the concept of "Insanity Wolf", Chopper is basically the human incarnation.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Critically praised, but not promoted well. Stars Robert Downey Jr. as a former thief turned movie star and Val Kilmer as a gay private detective. Best on screen chemistry in a same sex couple until Simon Pegg and Nick Frost showed up. Part crime thriller, part noir mystery, part absurd action movie, all comedy. Really funny, really smart and extremely well made. I sing its praises so that somebody may finally see it for its glory.

In Bruges - Again, highly critically acclaimed, but a movie that so many people skipped over because it was marketed as a dumb action flick. It's actually a black comedy/drama that flickers between absurd humour and suicidal depression, sometimes in the exact same scene. It's a movie that is great at drawing you in to have the time of your life then kicks you in the balls to bring you back to Earth. Stars Colin Farrell as a one-time hitman (in his career best performance, in my opinion), Brendan Gleeson as a mentor type figure to Farrell and Ralph Fiennes as an underworld crime lord. It's well written, directed, acted and the scenery is fantastic. Comes with my extremely high recommendation.

The Usual Suspects - A movie I thought was quite popular until I got into a conversation with about a dozen people who were not even aware of its existence. An extremely good crime/mystery movie with solid performances from... Everyone who came into contact with the movie. Kevin Spacey is an absolute champion. As is Benicio Del Toro. And Stephen Baldwin. And Pete Postlethwaite... Everyone... I'm not sure if it really is underrated, but since there exists a breed of human being who are unfamiliar with the movie, I say I need to promote it as I can.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
LoFr3Eq said:
Starship Troopers.

Not because its unknown, but because the critical ratings for this film vary wildly.

Some critics give it an about 1/5, stating that it doesn't hold true to the books, and is a terrible recruitment film with space marines.

Some critics on the other hand know that Starship Troopers is a parody of Alien, Predator, other alien films and gung ho army and marine films. They give the movie 4/5 or higher.

The best thing about this movie is that only the director and most of the main actors were in on the joke. There are some pretty terrible clichés in this movie and lots of forced references to army recruitment. The thing that got me the most was when the main dude found out that his family had been killed by the bugs at the start, he then was incensed to join the troopers out of revenge. This is possibly a reason that some people join the armed forces in real life (this still holds true especially after 9/11).
Starship troopers is brilliant. It's a tongue in cheek scifi B-movie at its heart and directed by the satirical Paul Verhoven who made Robocop. Hugely fun and played brilliantly by the cast. Michael Ironside is just ace in this movie.

OT: I'd recommend some Takashi Miike films. They're pretty fucked up but alot of them are fantastic. I'd recommend Audition, Ichi the Killer and Gozu.

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
Enemy Mine. A sci-fi story about a space fighter pilot, played by Dennis Quaid, who has crashed landed on a hostile world only to find that a Drax pilot, part of the hostile alien race humanity has been fighting, played by Louis Gossett Jr., has also crashed on the planet. They eventually join forces to improve their chances at survival. It's a movie I enjoyed from my childhood.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I think the "The Butterfly effect" was a underated movie (I don't really get why so much people hated it). I thought the moral/ message to that film was quite insightful.

ddrfr33k

Nov 11, 2010
Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. It featured Bela Lugosi as Dracula and Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolf-Man. Classic 20th century slapstick, and a great diversion overall.

Lokithrsourcerer

Nov 24, 2008
under rated(some people will probably slate me for this): league of extraordinary gentlemen its like Victorian X-men I really liked it.

under the radar: Bunny and the Bull - outstanding surreal comedy you have to check it out
don't google it(except maybe to find a retailer) don't read synopses or watch trailers I was really glad I had no pre-conceptions about what to expect so that it really caught me off guard and I laughed my ass off throughout.

from the little known 3rd "invisible" writer of "the mighty boosh" and with cameos from many of the cast

an874

Jul 17, 2009
Secondhand Lions: Starring Michael Caine, Robert Duvall, and Halie Joel Osment (I probably misspelled one of those names, but whatever)

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
jjboat said:
Breaker deGodot said:
The Fall, directed by Tarsem. Just don't watch the trailer. It completely spoils the movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/
wow you have me intrigued my friend, now i have to watch it.
It's a very polarizing film, so I can't promise you'll like it. Still, I haven't seen such a visually gorgeous film in years.

Weskerbot3000

Feb 17, 2011
Munich
I don't care what people said about this movie, It was was good and it did go to some VERY DARK PLACES. Also, I consider this to be Speilberg's masterpeice.

chowderface

Nov 18, 2009
Cars gets a lot of flak for being a lot weaker than Pixar's usual standard, and that's true, but I still don't think it was actually a BAD movie.

mikozero said:
Oh hey I liked that one. Represent.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
an874 said:
Secondhand Lions: Starring Michael Caine, Robert Duvall, and Halie Joel Osment (I probably misspelled one of those names, but whatever)
I love love love this movie. everyone should see it. The final scene with josh lucas meeting the Arabian oil sheik(or whatever lol) was so touching. Although i have seen it, any one on this forum who hasn't should give it a look.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
chowderface said:
Cars gets a lot of flak for being a lot weaker than Pixar's usual standard, and that's true, but I still don't think it was actually a BAD movie.

mikozero said:
Oh hey I liked that one. Represent.
Cars wasn't awful, but it is the weakest pixar film. Mater kills it for me. One note jokes like red necks should be below pixar.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
Weskerbot3000 said:
Munich
I don't care what people said about this movie, It was was good and it did go to some VERY DARK PLACES. Also, I consider this to be Speilberg's masterpeice.
That is a shining endorsement. I saw it years back at a friends when i was 15. Remember liking it and being deeply troubled by it at the time. its a very challenging film. Also proof that Spielberg's still got it. I actually think his masterpiece(though he has many) is A.I., which i know was a polarizing film. I'd be interested to know what you thought of it.